View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    When is the next ER? I really think (if t stay in hardware) BlackBerry should work on a priv 2 and passport 2 both in android and BB10. No need to start from scratch just improve these 2 excellent devices
    CDM76 and 3MIKE like this.
    03-10-16 02:27 PM
    Also (in Australia) 5 years ago today this thread started. Wow time (super)flys!
    cjcampbell, Mr BBRY, Corbu and 7 others like this.
    03-10-16 02:33 PM
    03-10-16 04:08 PM
    When is the next ER?
    April 1st.
    03-10-16 04:11 PM
    The week so far.....

The market has been, well, up and down this week. BBRY has been relatively stable as it bounces around it's support/resistance areas. The fact that it hasn't slid further is surprising to me due to historic ER performance, lack of volume, and overall market performance. On the daily chart, the 20 has crossed the 50, and is on it's way to cross the 200. All that's needed now is the 50 to start curling back up which should happen over the next week or so. I don't see any "crazy" moves to the up or down side unless the market dictates otherwise.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2016-03-10-4.46.53-pm.png

Now... on to my pre-Friday drunken rant. (This is probably not reality, but in my little world, it can and might happen) Oh.. and this may, or may not, be fully cohesive. haha.

We have governments trying to interfere with the free market system. All this QE and NIRP bull.. stuff... is going to have a very serious impact in the coming years, or even months... maybe less. Since our last crash, gov's have been spending like mad to prop up the system in place. 8 years later, they're still propping it and it's still not growing at their desired rate. I can see why though. They want the illusion of growth because apparently, growing is the only way to success. Well, sometimes shrinking, or flattening out is simply the normal course of things. Now we have a population that has record debt to income levels, Provinces, States, and Countries with massive debt (Hello Ontario) and spend 11% or more of their GDP servicing debt interest alone. It's all "sunny days and sunny ways" until it isn't.

We have all followed oil lately, or most of us have, as the market has seemed to be tied at the hip since January. Oddly enough, oil seems to slide on bad news.. and REALLY bad news, for about 15-20 minutes then it just climbs again. Has anyone noticed there happens to be a few million barrels missing from inventory numbers? Some theorists think that the gov has been artificially adding it to hurt competition, whereas I think their making it "disappear" to slow the collapse. This run to near $40 has been unjustified, but beneficial to the market. Just look at today.... it was up quite nicely until news came out that there would be no OPEC meeting and Iran said meh.. no thanks. Of course it dropped, and hard, then the market shrugged it off and said sure... we'll pay more.. why not. haha... Who do you think is buying it up?

In the end, I see the US f'd, EU f'd, Canada f'd, and, well, everyone else have been f'd for a while anyway. If I had the capital to maintain a loss for an indiscriminate time frame, I'd be shorting most markets, especially the US, as I think January was just sneak preview. This is why I'm still almost 50% cash on any given day. I have a few holdings and will be in and out with the rest.

Once again... I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING. I HAVE NO PROOF, SUPPORTING INFORMATION, OR A CLUE TO BE FOUND. DON'T TAKE WHAT I SAY AS ANY KIND OF INVESTING ADVICE.

End rant....
    03-10-16 04:20 PM
    CJ you should RANT more often!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    03-10-16 05:24 PM
    OT from the Related technologies and Security file, strange world out there -- things to think about:

Shodan: The IoT search engine for watching sleeping kids and bedroom antics | ZDNet
    http://arstechnica.com/security/2016...eeping-babies/
    "The rapid push to capitalise on consumer IoT devices has left a rift which security needs to fill. Shodan, while potentially a dangerous tool, is also the absolute example of what can happen when devices with lax security enter our daily lives. Luckily for those with vulnerable webcams, Shodan trawls the web for open feeds but only takes a snapshot before moving on. This is bad enough, however, to highlight how important security has become for the average consumer, whether they realise it or not. Security researcher Dan Tentler told Ars there are likely "millions" of vulnerable webcams in use. Consumers often expect vendors to provide secure products as a matter-of-course, and may not understand or care about ensuring complex passwords and barriers are in place before using their latest gadget. At the very least, any device connected to the Internet which can stream video or audio should not be placed in areas you would prefer to keep private."
    03-10-16 05:47 PM
    Hi guys, haven't posted in forever, but visit nearly everyday. This is a bit OT, but if any of you are holding THLD, you may want to check out their earnings report. Looking forward to tomorrow on that one. Conference Call Transcripts
    03-10-16 06:29 PM
    Hi guys, haven't posted in forever, but visit nearly everyday. This is a bit OT, but if any of you are holding THLD, you may want to check out their earnings report. Looking forward to tomorrow on that one. Conference Call Transcripts
    Nice man. I hope you make out like a gangsta. Just hope you bought after the drop.
    03-10-16 06:38 PM
    Also (in Australia) 5 years ago today this thread started. Wow time (super)flys!
    A bit slower than you might believe
    Nov. 2nd 2011 is the birth date.
    5 years will be the upper limit of original target... 9 months to go before the hammer hits the bumper lol.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, bungaboy, Mr BBRY and 4 others like this.
    03-10-16 06:51 PM
    OT: Cars / Cybersecurity
    GM Invites Hackers to Uncover Cybersecurity Gaps - WSJ

The program is an offshoot of “bug bounty” programs used by companies to detect software vulnerabilities

DETROIT—General Motors Co. is turning to hackers to strengthen car firewalls.

The nation’s largest auto maker on Thursday highlighted a “coordinated disclosure” program it launched earlier this year that invites computer researchers to search for cybersecurity gaps in GM vehicles, websites and software.

The effort is an offshoot of so-called bug bounty programs run by companies, including Silicon Valley electric-car maker Tesla Motors Inc., that pay researchers to spot software vulnerabilities before outside hackers exploit them. GM’s program isn’t offering hackers cash but promises not to take legal action against them so long as they don’t disclose any vulnerabilities they uncover.

The program, launched in January, comes amid increased concerns over cybersecurity gaps in automobiles that have led to recalls and regulatory scrutiny. Researchers last year demonstrated an ability to commandeer controls of a moving Jeep from a laptop miles away, leading parent Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV to recall more than a million vehicles.

No one was injured and Fiat Chrysler quickly fixed the problem. Most vehicle hacks have involved researchers with extended access to vehicles, as opposed to those randomly driving in traffic. But such demonstrations are fueling concerns among safety advocates, regulators and Capitol Hill lawmakers that both controls and private information linked to a vehicle’s technology could be vulnerable to cyberattacks.

Auto makers are trying to get a handle on potential problems before suffering worse attacks such as those already perpetrated on big retailers, banks and the U.S. government. “The most exciting thing is that the auto industry is addressing this before there is an issue,” said Jeff Massimilla, GM’s chief product cybersecurity officer at a U.S. Chamber of Commerce automotive cybersecurity conference.

GM suffered a mild attack last year when a researcher demonstrated an ability to remotely locate, unlock or start a car using the auto maker’s OnStar smartphone system by installing a gadget underneath the vehicle. GM quickly addressed the problem and alerted consumers to the fix without a formal recall. Researchers have also hacked a Tesla car. The electric-car maker issued a security update.

The advent of driverless cars and vehicles with automated features is spurring additional work by auto makers to strengthen cybersecurity. Such security holes pose a growing threat to consumer safety as new cars increasingly include Internet connections and features like automatic emergency braking and adaptive cruise control that are controlled by software.

Mr. Massimilla said GM would eventually pay researchers for finding hacking vulnerabilities in the Detroit auto maker’s vehicles. He said one of the biggest benefits of the current program is that it allows GM to develop relationships with cybersecurity researchers. The creation of an industrywide group to share information on cybersecurity threats has also helped auto makers stay ahead of the curve in an attempt to avoid catastrophic attacks, he said.

Dr. Dan Massey, a program manager with the Department of Homeland Security’s cybersecurity division, said auto makers working together would help them avoid cyberattacks such as the one that hit the Office of Personnel Management.

“There have been some researcher demonstrations of vulnerabilities, which is always the case, but no attacks out in the wild,” Mr. Massey said.

Cybersecurity expert James A. Lewis, a director with the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said in an interview that the auto industry is among the first sectors to embrace industrywide cooperation on cybersecurity. He said bug bounties could be an effective way for big auto makers to reduce the risk of a cyberattack, along with third-party penetration tests and other tools.

Mr. Lewis said the industries with the greatest risk—information technology, finance and energy companies—are leading the pack on cybersecurity, but the growing connectivity of cars and other household objects is reshaping the software industry and creating new potential risks for companies that make networked products.

Driverless cars and similar connected technology “brings liability for bad code, and software producers have been able to dodge product liability for decades,” Mr. Lewis said. “That will change when it’s your car that crashes and not your computer.”
    03-10-16 07:17 PM
    Vetr Inc. Upgrades BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) to “Strong-Buy”

Vetr Inc. Upgrades BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) to ?Strong-Buy? - The Hilltop News

BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) was upgraded by stock analysts at Vetr from a “buy” rating to a “strong-buy” rating in a note issued to investors on Tuesday, MarketBeat.com reports. The brokerage currently has a $9.50 target price on the smartphone producer’s stock. Vetr‘s price objective points to a potential upside of 15.29% from the company’s previous close.
    Corbu, Mr BBRY, 3MIKE and 11 others like this.
    03-10-16 07:31 PM
    I hope you guys don't mind those OTs... If so, let me know and I'll stop.

OT: Apple vs FBI
    U.S. Prosecutors Again Blast Apple in San Bernardino iPhone Dispute - WSJ

Court filing says company is using ‘false’ rhetoric in resisting court order to help open iPhone

The Justice Department harshly criticized Apple Inc. Thursday for allegedly helping the Chinese government access customer phone data while refusing to aid U.S. agents in the probe of last year’s massacre in San Bernardino, Calif.—a charge the company’s lawyer called “ridiculous’’ and “desperate.’’

The court filing by the Justice Department is the most sweeping and biting government attack yet on Apple, and the company’s executives angrily denied the accusation that the company capitulates to Chinese government demands for data while bucking a court order in its home country.

Apple has argued that if the Justice Department wins the San Bernardino case, foreign leaders with less respect for human rights than that held in the U.S. will force Apple to help access the data of their customers in those countries, with potentially serious consequences.

The case has quickly escalated into a large-scale confrontation between Apple, supported by other technology companies, and the FBI, which has the backing of law enforcement organizations. The two sides differ sharply on the best way to guarantee the right balance between privacy and security when it comes to encryption, and the conflict appears destined to reach the Supreme Court.

In suggesting that Apple is more accommodating to China than to U.S. law enforcement, the Justice Department is launching a potentially inflammatory assertion in the midst of an increasingly bitter court battle and hard-fought election campaign.

Thursday’s filing from the government suggests that argument is hypocritical, asserting that Apple already does a great deal for the Chinese government. “Apple appears to have made special accommodations in China,’’ the federal prosecutors wrote.“

According to Apple’s own data, China demanded information regarding over 4,000 iPhones in the first half of 2015, and Apple produced data 74% of the time,’’ the federal prosecutors wrote.

The filing also said Apple has moved Chinese user data to Chinese government servers and installed a different Wi-Fi protocol for Chinese phones.

The company responded angrily to the filing Thursday.

“In 30 years of practice, I don’t think I have ever seen a legal brief that was more intended to smear the other side with false accusations and innuendo, and less intended to focus on the real merits of the case,” Apple General Counsel Bruce Sewell told reporters, adding that the document was a “cheap shot.”

Apple has said moving its Chinese customers’ data to a facility owned by state-owned China Telecom in 2014 would improve performance for its Chinese customers and that the datastored there are encrypted and not accessible by China Telecom.

Apple also said it produced data 81% of the time when U.S. law-enforcement officials demanded information regarding 9,717 smartphones during the same period.

A spokesman at the Chinese Embassy in Washington didn’t immediately return a call for comment.

The new filing comes as both sides prepare to argue face-to-face in court later this month about whether Apple should be forced to apply a piece of software to the work iPhone of Syed Rizwan Farook.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation says the software is the only reliable way to bypass the phone’s passcode security system and then see if there is any important evidence on the device connected to the shooting by Mr. Farook and his wife in December that killed 14 people and injured 22 others.

Apple has resisted, saying that to write such software would inherently weaken the security of millions of other iPhones, making them more vulnerable to hackers and government surveillance.

The Justice Department lawyers countered Thursday that such claims misstate the reality of hacking and government surveillance. Those activities targets networks, not devices, the government said, and in the San Bernardino case the government is trying to get access to a device it has already seized, not a network it wants to monitor.

Whatever Apple does for repressive regimes is not affected by what it does for the U.S. court system, the prosecutors added.

“Lawful process in America cannot be confined by potential lawless oppression elsewhere merely because a corporation chooses to manufacture and market its products globally, without regard to its host countries’ legal regimes,’’ the prosecutors wrote.

The government said Apple is using scare tactics to fight a lawful court order based on the All Writs Act, a 1789 law now at the center of the pitched fight.

“Instead of complying, Apple attacked the All Writs Act as archaic, the court’s order as leading to a ‘police state,’ and the FBI’s investigation as shoddy, while extolling itself as the primary guardian of Americans’ privacy,’’ the prosecutors wrote.

“Apple’s rhetoric is not only false, but also corrosive of the very institutions that are best able to safeguard our liberty and our rights: the courts, the Fourth Amendment, long-standing precedent and venerable laws, and the democratically elected branches of government,” the filing said.

Last month, the Justice Department won a court order directing Apple to help investigators bypass the security features on Mr. Farook’s iPhone that erase the phone after 10 unsuccessful password attempts. The company says obeying that order would force it to create a piece of software that would threaten the security of all other iPhones.

The Justice Department’s filing Thursday attacked that argument as, in essence, posturing. “Apple is one of the richest and most tech-savvy companies in the world, and it is more than able to comply with the [court] order,’’ the prosecutors wrote, adding that Apple’s position “flies in the face’’ of the American standards of justice.
    bungaboy, 3MIKE, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    03-10-16 07:36 PM
    Haha CJ! Which drop? I bought a bunch at .46. Thought of averaging down when it was like .20 but decided to keep it long. Hopefully long is real soon.
    03-10-16 07:45 PM

My friend, you just keep on keeping on! Thank you for what you do!
    CDM76, bigbadben10, 3MIKE and 10 others like this.
    03-10-16 07:52 PM
    Thanks bungaboy. Much appreciated!
    03-10-16 09:05 PM
    Great work Corbu! Appreciate as always

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    03-10-16 10:01 PM

Don't even think of stopping ! And I don't consider these types of posts off topic. My view is its a competitor to BlackBerry and hence relative to BlackBerry and BBRY stock performance. So keep up the good work.....please.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-16 12:36 AM
    She is great. For folks who don't want to delve into this, she failed for a drug that has medical benefits and only starting this year became a banned substance. How she and her team didn't pay attention to the memo is a problem. She should have people who keep track of that stuff.

Posted via CB10
    For people who are following, what do you expect her to say? I know that this drug gives me a benefit and I know that it is a banned substance, but I will risk it so that I continue to have this edge...

I don't understand why you would give her a pass just because she came out with this before the media dug it up themselves. This is Andy Petite all over again.

BTW, I don't care if an athlete takes a banned drug or not. Nadal took it his whole life and now his body is breaking down because of it. He traded future health for being great. His choice. A-Rod, Ramirez, Ortiz, Sharapova, Nadal, Bonds, ... It's there body and their reputations. But as you see with A-Rod, the hit on the reputation dwindles after a while of being out of the spotlight.

I know this is a BB(RY) board and won't go off track again. Just not sure why anyone would believe Sharapova. She has a lot to lose (marketing money) with this suspension.
    03-11-16 01:59 AM

This particular affair is not OT as I see it until we enter a rhetoric debate (for FBI/apple it's already on).
    It is focusing on security, which is the core Business of BlackBerry.

So, let me add (but I won't discuss) some, to explain what I mean by the above ...

"All the FBI needs to do to avoid any irreversible auto erase is simple to copy that flash memory (which includes the Effaceable Storage) before it tries 10 passcode attempts. It can then re-try indefinitely, because it can restore the NAND flash memory from its backup copy."
    The FBI can hack iPhone without Apple's help, claims Edward Snowden | TechRadar
    03-11-16 02:23 AM
    Maybe the Dow should move to Chicago
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-images.png

 Priv... cue the comeback!
    03-11-16 03:42 AM
    Beat of $0.62 vs $-0.11 estimate, very nice. My average is 0.44

Posted via CB10
    03-11-16 07:13 AM
    OT:

Now everyone is bullish on oil. IEA states Oil prices may have bottomed. IMHO it's run up too much.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    03-11-16 08:12 AM
    03-11-16 08:18 AM
    03-11-16 10:56 AM
113,256 ... 38503851385238533854 ...