Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Where is our CJ and his charts

Posted via my PRIV
    All I'd say is I think it's getting ahead of itself without any meaningful volume. Lol. It's pretty much about to enter over bought territory and is trading the market run. As far as the market goes, I personally think it's far too optimistic, still coupled to oil, and needs to slow down a tad. I fear there are going to be a lot of bag holders in a lot of tickers soon. BBRY, although may come back, should, in theory, be a good hold with a buy after a decent consolidation before the er. Of course, as with anything I say here, I can be super wrong and don't take my word for any sort of investing advise lol.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-16 04:44 PM
    Still a nice day. Like to see the stock at least above $8. Anything below that just seems crazy and too close to the stock looking like the market still think bankruptcy and dissolution is a possibility.
    We've got to get some good word on Priv sales though. BBRY can't afford a complete disaster launch in the Android space. Especially not from a highly reviewed phone with a unique form factor.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-16 08:03 PM
    Maria Sharapova fails a drug test from substance recently added to list. Among famous users of BB products, :

Productivity-Obsessed Leaders of Every Stripe Love BlackBerry?s Keyboard, Battery Life and More | Inside BlackBerry
    Last edited by rarsen; 03-08-16 at 07:37 AM.
    03-08-16 07:16 AM
    Long time VIP known Q10 BB user Maria Sharapova fails a drug test from substance recently added to list, :

Productivity-Obsessed Leaders of Every Stripe Love BlackBerry?s Keyboard, Battery Life and More | Inside BlackBerry
    I had a good laugh at the battery life part. Mine on my Z10 is nonexistent.

 Priv... cue the comeback!
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-08-16 07:20 AM
    Man, good thing I sold all my ECA yesterday.
    03-08-16 08:58 AM
    Did I ever say that ;

DANG OIL!
    03-08-16 09:45 AM
    Reading material

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/03/...y-combination/

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Corbu, rarsen, morganplus8 and 4 others like this.
    03-08-16 11:44 AM
    OT from the Related technologies and Security file, long read:

The impossible task of counting up the world's cyber armies | ZDNet
    "By showing they have the skills and the technologies to break into sensitive systems, state forces are demonstrating their abilities in the same way that they would have by parading tanks past the Kremlin in years gone past."
    morganplus8, Corbu, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    03-08-16 01:08 PM
    When I said the market needed to cool off a bit, I didn't mean to sell everything down on one bloody day. Jeepers.
    3MIKE, OlympusMons, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    03-08-16 03:15 PM
    We will rise again

Posted via my PRIV
    3MIKE, OlympusMons, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    03-08-16 03:17 PM
    We will rise again

Posted via my PRIV
    BBRY faired quite well. It's other areas that got hit hard, and biotechs being among the worst. Energy though.... phew.... Glad I don't hold anything there.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-16 03:23 PM
    When I said the market needed to cool off a bit, I didn't mean to sell everything down on one bloody day. Jeepers.
    Good call CJ, that's why I sold a ton of stock, I wanted to see how much selling would kick in on this drop. It looks normal and shouldn't last long. A perfect night would see oil down, Asia down, and the NA market down at the open followed by some fresh buying and a positive close. I will buy all my shares back tomorrow if we follow this pattern. Best of luck.
    03-08-16 03:30 PM
    OT. Sort of... I was wondering if the PRIV was protecting us against this kind of spying.

Is your smartphone listening to you? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35639549
    03-08-16 04:16 PM
    And here's a nice gadget for people who don't trust cloud storage. Notice the first phone they plug it into.

Charging cable backs up your phone as you charge - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35493444
    Corbu, rarsen, Sigewif and 1 others like this.
    03-08-16 04:23 PM
    General OT from the Related Technologies and Security file:

Why the connected car is one of this generation's biggest security risks | ZDNet
    "High-profile hacks have led many to question the growing connectedness of today's automobiles. The risks are real, but the response is currently more talk than action."
    3MIKE, Corbu, Mr BBRY and 2 others like this.
    03-08-16 05:59 PM
    BlackBerry vs. Bombardier: A case study of value strategies - The Globe and Mail

�Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks,� according to Warren Buffett.

Translation: Value investors do not like to invest in companies that operate in an industry in which they are in a competitive disadvantage. This is because such companies will never be able to generate high enough operating margins and cash flows to pay for labour, materials and capital and as a result will earn a return on invested capital that will be less than the cost of raising funds. They will destroy value rather than create value for the shareholders. The rational thing for such companies to do is to either exit the industry or shrink and become a niche player.

Two Canadian companies currently facing this dilemma, but following different routes, are BlackBerry Ltd. and Bombardier Inc.

BlackBerry invented the smartphone. It was a Canadian darling and one of the few Canadian companies with global appeal and following. When it ran into competitive troubles, however, it never asked for a government bailout. The bailout, so to speak, and related risks, were shouldered by private investors, particularly Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. They lent funds to the company in the form of convertible debentures � adding a lot of leverage to the company that, appropriately, had none before. That was a smart, but risky, move, if you come to think of it. Fairfax owns about 9 per cent of BlackBerry and if one adds its investment in convertibles bonds (assuming conversion), the potential ownership rises to about 15 per cent.

Next, BlackBerry shrank and has become a niche player. It unloaded the unprofitable handset manufacturing to Foxconn. It is now focusing on selling software and services to government and businesses for which security is of paramount importance � and area of strength for BlackBerry. It took a multibillion-dollar writedown of inventory and other assets, reducing significantly its excess capacity that was dragging down its asset turnover and return on invested capital. While BlackBerry is not out of the woods yet, this strategy seems to have started to pay off with growth in the most recent quarter beating analysts� projections.

Switch over to Bombardier now. The Bombardier/Beaudoin families own about 13 per cent of the company�s shares � (even though they hold about 54 per cent of the voting power). In other words, the two families own about the same economic interest in Bombardier as Fairfax potentially owns in BlackBerry. But the approaches these investors have followed are diagrammatically opposite.

Bombardier, similar to BlackBerry�s plight, has been in an industry in which they are in a competitive disadvantage. Bombardier cannot compete with the likes of Boeing, Airbus or even Embraer and is a much riskier company given the inappropriately high leverage the company has versus its key competitors. According to S&P Capital IQ, Bombardier�s 2015 return on capital is 3.3 per cent versus an average 13.7 per cent for its key competitors. Its operating margin � a key measure of a company�s competitive stance � is 1.8 per cent versus 11.4 per cent; and its cash-flow-to-sales ratio 0.1 per cent versus 10.7 per cent. Historical averages show similar patterns reinforcing Bombardier�s competitive disadvantage compared with its key competitors.

Finally, its debt-to-capital ratio is 181 per cent versus 53 per cent for Boeing, 40 per cent for Airbus and 45 per cent for Embraer. However, unlike BlackBerry, Bombardier is asking the government for a handout. The company has asked the Quebec government for over $1-billion in aid. And this is not the first time. The most recent request is Bombardier�s 51st request for government assistance since 1966. Rather than investors being on the hook, it is the Canadian taxpayer who will be.

Bombardier is not an attractive company for value investors. It operates in an industry in which other companies have a competitive advantage and so being in the industry will destroy value for its shareholders. Moreover, it has too much debt for a company in this industry, which increases the company�s financial risk and the probability of bankruptcy; it has a complex corporate structure and a dual-class share structure; and it has management and corporate governance of questionable value.

Throwing good money after bad will not solve Bombardier�s problem. The Canadian governments at various levels seem to either not know this or chose to ignore it at taxpayers� expense. This is a classic case of politics trumping economic rationale and reality.

George Athanassakos is a professor of finance and holds the Ben Graham Chair in Value Investing at the Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario.
    3MIKE, rarsen, OlympusMons and 5 others like this.
    03-08-16 06:35 PM
    Tsk tsk.. G&M

Posted via my PRIV
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-08-16 06:48 PM
    G&M still printing newspapers? I wonder what G&M stands for? Maybe goat and milk.

3MIKE and bungaboy like this.
    03-08-16 09:45 PM
    And here's a nice gadget for people who don't trust cloud storage. Notice the first phone they plug it into.

Charging cable backs up your phone as you charge - Charging cable backs up your phone as you charge - BBC News
    Where can you get these?
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-09-16 12:53 AM
    Where can you get these?
    It's going to be available in the UK the 25th of March for 50�. Plus shipping for anywhere else in the world. Personally I would wait until they have it in North America. Here's a link to their website ;

https://www.meemmemory.com/product/meem/
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-09-16 06:55 AM
    G&M still printing newspapers? I wonder what G&M stands for? Maybe goat and milk.

Glob & Maul
    3MIKE likes this.
    03-09-16 07:59 AM
    It's going to be available in the UK the 25th of March for 50�. Plus shipping for anywhere else in the world. Personally I would wait until they have it in North America. Here's a link to their website ;

https://www.meemmemory.com/product/meem/

Well for the "average user" 16GB must be enough.... but it won't work for me.
    03-09-16 08:02 AM
    OT.
    http://www.techradar.com/us/news/pho...c=rss&attr=all

Posted Via blackberry passport.
    morganplus8, rarsen, 3MIKE and 5 others like this.
    03-09-16 08:35 AM
    OT.
    http://www.techradar.com/us/news/pho...c=rss&attr=all

Posted Via blackberry passport.
    Maybe they could, maybe they can't.

But any evidence they obtain from hacking is likely to not hold up in court as it would be illegal to do so.

Hence they whole smokescreen of the legal battle to try to get official access to the phone.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 08:53 AM
    03-09-16 09:05 AM
113,250 ... 38483849385038513852 ...