View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Dunno if it has been posted(I have just run through those pages lately), but for sure it's an interesting take:

http://www.profitconfidential.com/st...stock-soaring/

Posted via CB10
    02-25-16 11:19 AM
    02-25-16 12:40 PM
    02-25-16 02:06 PM
    02-25-16 02:15 PM
    A bit of info on the HW front.
    BlackBerry bolsters IoT security consultancy focus, says it's still committed to hardware | MobileSyrup.com

BlackBerry seems to be finally conceding to the fact that it�s no longer the smartphone powerhouse it once was as it continues to try to solidify its position as a company focused on enterprise security services.

The company announced plans this week to launch new cybersecurity services, further expanding its already established security portfolio by offering enterprise consulting.

Despite the obvious but gradual move at the Kitchener-Waterloo-based company toward software and security focused services, at a recent roundtable interview at Mobile World Congress, Marty Beard, BlackBerry�s COO, David Kleidermacher, the company�s chief security officer, as well as several other executives, emphasized that BlackBerry still has significant interest in hardware.

When asked about the possibility of BlackBerry further shifting its focus away from hardware should the company�s new security consulting services prove successful, Beard steadfast denied the prospect.

�No, I think if you look at it, we have hardware solutions, we have software solutions and we have services. We�re bringing all that together based on what we talked about during this meeting�� said Beard. �It�s not a preference so much, it�s a demand from our customer base and an opportunity to grow revenue.�

As BlackBerry continues to struggle to sell hardware, the company believes the growing Internet of Things (IoT) industry, which increasingly includes cars, as well as connected home products, is a potential area of growth.

In order to bolster its already established cybersecurity practises, BlackBerry announced the acquisition of U.K.-based company Encryption Unlimited, which the company says brings needed cybersecurity consulting experience to the organization. Terms of the deal, which reportedly closed on February 19, were not revealed.

�We�re increasingly an enterprise and software company� our goal is to provide a cross-platform security solution for all devices: Android, iOS and BB10,� said Beard during the presentation.

During the close-door roundtable discussion, Kleidermacher emphasized that BlackBerry still holds approximately 70 government certifications and approvals, a number that is the highest among any mobile phone manufacturer.

While BlackBerry is losing ground in the enterprise market thanks to Samsung�s Knox Android security software, as well as Apple increasingly competitive iOS security offerings, the company continues to maintain a significant hold on governments and organizations that require stringent regulatory compliance.

Hitting home this point, Kleidermacher emphasized that 10 out of 10 of the largest global banks and law firms, the top five largest healthcare organizations, investment services, oil and gas companies, and even 16 of the G20 governments, continue to utilize BlackBerry�s security platform offerings.

The company�s regulatory ties are still linked to its own smartphones, but given the company�s recent efforts to bring BES12 to Android with the Priv, and with future plans to expand its security offerings to Apple�s iOS platform, Blackberry says it wants to be able to work with companies and governments regardless of which handset they utilize.

According to BlackBerry, estimates indicate that the global security business will grow from $16.5 billion USD annually in 2016 to a forecasted growth of $23 billion annually by 2019. To date, BlackBerry has made 29 acquisitions, with five over the last 15 months being security firms, including Good Technology for $425 million USD, as well as Watchdox in 2015, at a price of approximately $150 million USD.

BlackBerry did not discuss devices during the event as the company says it�s in its �quiet period� following CES and the release of upcoming financial reports.
    02-25-16 04:02 PM
    This is great news as it addresses all of the issues we are concerned with. Hardware is here to stay, they are in the quiet period, a confirmation of where BlackBerry needs to be heading into Fiscal 2017.

The market looks great, the DOW and the S&P 500 both closed above their 50-dma today and at their highs. Apparently the world isn't coming to an end after all, who knew? We are closing out February after a bruising January that everyone would like to forget. Tomorrow we test support at the 50-dma and move higher. Even energy got a boost late today as it appears to actually follow the stock market not leading it.

BlackBerry came off some strength this week, many day-traders hoping to hear more from BB and will now exit the trade. I think we are going higher starting in March.
    02-25-16 04:21 PM
    Indeed. All we would need now are good/strong PRIV numbers on April 1st.
    02-25-16 04:41 PM
    I wonder who is next on John's list? SWIR

Posted via my PRIV
    02-25-16 05:36 PM
    The Boston Dynamics Atlas robot is running QNX. Their website has design documentation and job postings that confirm they are running QNX. (more below)

Watching this robot almost stumble but recover in the snow is a good example on why the QNX RTOS is perfect for the IOT future. It's all about software latency, precision, stability, and efficiency.

Here's a blurb about QNX reaction time. This is what made BB10 and the hub so smooth and great!
    "By the real time ability of QNX the Neutrino Kernel allows with a pentium III the controlled reaction time (interrupt processing) of 0.55 � sec in which events can be registered. For comparison purposes: Windows NT 4.0 and other time-sharing operating systems react to events only after approx. 10 ms."

The Solar Impulse Team, Boston Dynamics, Apple, Google, multiple Automotive companies, CISCO, NASA, etc.. have all chosen QNX. Hang in there longs! It's gonna be great!
    02-25-16 05:51 PM
    Thanks Rock. Great news indeed

Posted via my PRIV
    02-25-16 07:18 PM
    OT: MWC / Smartphones
    Smartphone Makers Look Beyond the Device - WSJ

As phone sales drop, companies are turning to add-ons and accessories for additional revenue

BARCELONA—The smartphone, once a revolutionary device, is quickly becoming like most other must-have products—a commodity. The world’s biggest handset makers are acknowledging that, and looking beyond the device to churn additional revenue.

This city’s Mobile World Congress, the annual telecommunications and tech bazaar, was once a place where device makers introduced hot innovations built into their latest smartphones and tablets. This year’s installment felt more like a showcase for, well, bolt-on components and accessories.

The show, which is winding down, even had a buzzword—“modularity,” which is described as the ability to mix and match pieces of hardware (and sometimes software) on your device—that alluded to that shift in ambition.

“When markets get saturated and stop growing, you always see this,” says Patrick Moorhead, principal analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy.

It is a sure sign, he says, that handset makers are willing to embrace more radical ideas as smartphones become harder and harder to distinguish.

The move is a natural response to slower growth. In the fourth quarter of 2015, global smartphone sales rose just 9.7% from a year earlier, the slowest rate since 2008, according to Gartner. In mature markets, like the U.S. and Western Europe, sales inched up just 1.5%.

So, device makers are no longer trying to wring as much profit out of the devices themselves, but rather are turning their handset into a portal through which they can sell consumers a lot of other, more expensive stuff. It is a twist on a tactic that Apple Inc. and Google parent Alphabet Inc. have been mining for years, using devices essentially as a platform over which to sell software and services such as apps and music.

For device makers adapting this model to hardware, look no further than one of the stars of this year’s show, LG Electronics Inc.’s G5 smartphone. It is all about modules. The metal-framed core device allows users to plug in hardware accessories, like a camera pack with optical zoom, an extra battery or a high-fidelity audio booster.

Those extra accessories are sold separately and are likely to bring in much higher profit margins than the handset itself, which the company is selling virtually at cost.

Likewise, Sony Corp. trained its Mobile World Congress spotlight not on a new handset, but on a trio of companion accessories—an earpiece that can read out emails, a clip-on camera and a video projector.

And HP Inc.’s new Elite x3 smartphone, another buzz-magnet at the show, isn’t just meant to be a smartphone. The enterprise-focused hardware maker is positioning the device as the brains of a desktop computer, or of a laptop, once you throw in a couple of separately sold accessories, like a docking station, keyboard and monitor.

China’s Xiaomi Corp. has been deploying this model for several years already. From the get-go, its aggressive prices were designed to make the handset an easy-to-buy starter platform, upon which users could then add software and hardware such as co-branded battery chargers, air purifiers and motorized scooters.

Its new flagship Mi 5 smartphone, unveiled here, offers a sleek, $250 “premium” phone, with lots of the same built-in features as a higher end phone. While the device itself may not make much money for Xiaomi, the accessories could.

“Fundamentally, our success is measured from a different metric from the other manufacturers,” Xiaomi Vice President Hugo Barra said in an interview. “We want to transform our consumers into recurring consumers, and these ecosystem products,” he said, referring to the purifiers and the scooters, “have much better margins in them than the phones.”

Telecom operators also benefit. Cheaper phones allow operators to offer pricier service plans, as well as many of those high-margin accessories. Many carriers already offer incentives to employees to sell accessories as part of the checkout process.

Brightstar Corp., a unit of SoftBank Group Corp. that distributes phones and provides service for handset retailers, launched its own line of phone covers, chargers and cases, pitching the items as a way to help retailers and carriers drive added sales. The company cited data—estimating 2015 global revenue for mobile accessories at $81.5 billion and growing to $101 billion in 2020—from ABI Research for its move.

Samsung Electronics Co. has made more money from handsets than any Android manufacturer. But it, too, seemed to be acknowledging the end of the smartphone as an automatic profit driver.

At its main media event, the debut of its latest flagship phone, Samsung’s virtual reality headsets—designed to work with its phone—stole the show.

“As the PC market started to slow down, you saw cameras and CD-ROMs keep the market going, and that’s what I believe Samsung and LG are trying to do here,” says Mr. Moorhead, the analyst. At the Samsung launch, he said, “instead of the hero product being the phone, I saw virtual reality.”
    02-25-16 07:53 PM
    http://rapidmobile.biz/blackberry/de...se-developers/

BlackBerry*has today*unveiled*BlackBerry Secure Connect Plus, using the BlackBerry Cloud Connector. For Enterprise*Developers*working with*Hybrid environments, this is a feature that many developers have been waiting for.

The BlackBerry Cloud Connector is a Java process that provides a secure connection through your firewall for communication between BES12 Cloud and your company directory. You install theBlackBerry Cloud Connector behind your organization�s firewall. Using the management console, you activate the BlackBerry Cloud Connector with BES12 Cloud and you connect it to the company directory.

You can configure the BlackBerry Cloud Connector to send data to and from BES12 Cloud through a proxy server that is behind your organization�s firewall.

Your end point needs to be a*Windows*server, and once installed you create an activation key which you then paste into the cloud page.

Posted via my PRIV

Edit: sorry I don't normally share from my mobile. Corbu would you please make it happen
    02-25-16 09:23 PM

Additional info:
    BES12 Cloud Update ? What?s New for Enterprise Developers | BlackBerry Developer Blog

On the BlackBerry Cloud Connector:

Published on Mar 31, 2015
    This video shows you how to install and configure the BlackBerry�� Cloud Connector so that you can connect your organization's company directory to BES�12 Cloud.
    02-25-16 09:30 PM
    Wow! BlackBerry is really becoming device agnostic. Did anyone notice the other partnership with a company named Centrify?

Mobile World Congress � Barcelona �*Centrify, the leader in securing enterprise identities against cyber threats, today announced a partnership with BlackBerry to provide secure access to thousands of cloud and on-premises applications and servers on the Good Dynamics Secure Mobility Platform.

https://www.centrify.com/about-us/ne...lity-platform/

Apologies if posted already.

Also, daily short interest dropped like a rock. Wonder what Friday will tell us:

Attachment 392503
    02-25-16 09:44 PM
    02-26-16 05:22 AM
    When BlackBerry makes it's decision to stay in hardware and have convinced the world they will have a strong play in software and services, I would like to see them either partner or buy these guys.

Welcome to the February edition of the Telit2yourInbox newsletter.*

We are excited to comment on the news you may have seen about the acquisition of the business of expert company Stollmann Entwicklungs und Vertriebs Gmbh based in Hamburg, Germany.* They are a developer and marketer of low power hardware products and software solutions for wireless communications in Bluetooth, Bluetooth Smart (BLE) and Near Field Communication (NFC) technologies.

Now that the acquisition is concluded, the integration has started including the nearly 40 people transferring to Telit and the various technologies.* The integration will help us accelerate growth in the IoT.* While cellular remains the most vital technology in IoT, short-range technologies will play a major part in connected devices and the Stollmann acquisition serves to complement our short-range solutions for IoT.

This month we also announced the creation of a new business unit dedicated to the Industrial IoT vertical market also known as Industrie 4.0.* The idea with this new unit is to make it very easy to realize the full value of the Industrial Internet of Things today. We have more than 15 years of experience providing enterprise grade, industrial automation solutions worldwide and currently connect more than $300 billion of manufacturing assets in very demanding industries including automotive and semiconductors.

Come visit our booth at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona February 22-25 booth 5E61. Get to know the Telit Triple Play: IoT Modules - IoT Connectivity - IoT Platforms, and learn about Enterprise System Integration.*

Or visit us at Embedded World, Nuremberg Germany, February 23-25 in two locations, the Telit booth 5-445 and the Stollmann booth 5-470. Designing-in Telit reduces time-to-market and risk while driving up technical value and business performance of your overall IT solution.

We look forward to seeing you at these great events.

NOW INNOVATE!

Mike Ueland
    President, Americas

Posted via CB10
    02-26-16 07:11 AM
    Heads up on Amber Kanwar - she has a show on Thursdays at 7:00 PM called The Disruptors and she and her co-host opened up the show talking about BlackBerry and why it is so important to keep hardware. There were some good exchanges but I haven't been able to find the opening dialog of the exchange to post to the board. I hope someone can post it?

Looks like the market is about to confirm that long awaited breakout of the DOW and the S&P 500 above their 50-dma today, very bullish for March.
    cjcampbell, lech31, Corbu and 14 others like this.
    02-26-16 07:15 AM
    02-26-16 08:04 AM
    That's it, I knew you would come to the rescue!

At the 4:50 mark she says something about "speaking of making big boobs ...." did I hear that right or is it just the "Amber" factor clouding my head?

Thanks, they didn't have the show posted last night, just the clips of the interviews and I thought she made a great point about cash-flow and handsets.
    sidhuk, lech31, Corbu and 10 others like this.
    02-26-16 08:19 AM
    That's it, I knew you would come to the rescue!

At the 4:50 mark she says something about "speaking of making big boobs ...." did I hear that right or is it just the "Amber" factor clouding my head?

Thanks, they didn't have the show posted last night, just the clips of the interviews and I thought she made a great point about cash-flow and handsets.
    Morgan with due respect, are you hitting the bottle this early? LMAO

"Big moves" my friend.

Cheers mate!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    02-26-16 08:38 AM
    Morgan with due respect, are you hitting the bottle this early? LMAO

"Big moves" my friend.

Cheers mate!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    I swear to God that's what I'm hearing! I know I have had 7 head operations but if you play it a few times, you will hear it too.

Nice day so far, a close above $ 7.34/shr today for BBRY would be bullish for us. The markets are firm and looking great for March and BB is trying to do its best to mount a rally against a general market that is holding slightly positive so far.

Let's keep the rally going here.
    02-26-16 09:08 AM
    OT weekend reading from the Related Technologies and Security file, a gentle reminder of increased observation taking shape where a recognized Security Provider could be providing important required protection services.

?How to keep your smart TV from spying on you | ZDNet
    "Last year it was revealed that some Samsung smart TV models can "capture voice commands and associated texts so that we can provide you with Voice Recognition features and evaluate and improve the features." "Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition." You see I really don't trust any of the TV vendors. The more data they can get about you, the better for their bottom line. As South Korean security expert Seung-Jin Lee showed in 2013, there's no security worth the name in most smart TVs. Lee showed 10 different vulnerabilities that would allow him to get a root shell on the device. And, if you think that's bad, just wait until you add more Internet of Things devices to your home. Are you going to be able to keep track of what your car is saying about your driving habits? What your electrical use tells about when you're at home? Heck, what your health insurance provider thinks about the fact that you only use an IoT-enabled toothbrush once a day?"
    morganplus8, Corbu, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    02-26-16 09:16 AM
    I swear to God that's what I'm hearing! I know I have had 7 head operations but if you play it a few times, you will hear it too.
    Its true if you listen long enough it sounds like it!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-thfnddm2ua.jpg
    Corbu, sidhuk, morganplus8 and 2 others like this.
    02-26-16 09:39 AM
    Awesome moves so far today. Right now it's at a big resistance area that it tried to clear a few weeks ago. A nice volume push through would be one he!! of a move.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-16 10:22 AM
    Maybe the boosts is also due to the G20. Just my guess

Posted via my PRIV
    02-26-16 10:57 AM
113,256 ... 38383839384038413842 ...