View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OT Biotechs

Hey M8, what do you think about biotechs now? had a few good trading days, HALO closed right above its 20MA but looks good, I just see some resistance at $9
    morganplus8 likes this.
    02-18-16 04:26 PM
    OT: On the same subject / Encryption
    Senate Panel Chief Plans Bill to Criminalize Firms That Don?t Decipher Encrypted Messages - WSJ

WASHINGTON - Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr (R., N.C.) is working on a proposal that would create criminal penalties for companies that don't comply with court orders to decipher encrypted communications, four people familiar with the matter said, potentially escalating an issue that is dividing Washington and Silicon Valley.

A U.S. magistrate judge on Tuesday ordered Apple Inc. to help the Federal Bureau of Investigation circumvent a passcode-protection system on a phone used by Syed Rizwan Farook, one of two terrorists who killed 14 people at a holiday party in San Bernardino, Calif., in December. Apple has refused to comply with the order.

Mr. Burr hasn't finalized plans for how legislation would be designed, and several people familiar with the process said there hasn't been an agreement among any other lawmakers to pursue criminal penalties. It's also unclear whether Mr. Burr could marshal bipartisan support on such an issue during an election year that has divided Washington in recent months.

The bill could be written in a way that modifies the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act, a 1994 law that compels telecommunications companies to construct their systems so they can comply with court orders.

A number of companies and developers have in recent years designed encryption tools that are very easy to use and virtually impossible to decipher if used correctly. A popular form of encryption, known as "end to end," allows only the sender and receiver of a message to see it, and the companies say they are irretrievable once sent. Some law-enforcement officials and lawmakers have said companies should design a way to retrieve these messages if a court order is obtained. But privacy advocates, a number of lawmakers and numerous technology firms have said any effort to create one-time access to encrypted messages would allow foreign countries, hackers and others to steal information using the same tools.

Mr. Burr has spent months pressuring technology companies to work more closely with law enforcement and others to prevent encryption tools from being used to plan and carry out crimes. He warned technology firms that they need to consider changing their "business model" in the wake of the widening use of encrypted communications.

He said last week that he's heard complaints from district attorneys and federal prosecutors that the use of encryption by suspected criminals has made it difficult, and in some cases impossible, to retrieve evidence.

"District attorneys have come to me because they are beginning to get to a situation where they can't prosecute cases," Mr. Burr said at a hearing last week. "This is town by town, city by city, county by county, and state by state...It's something we need to take seriously."

In December, he joined with Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D., Calif.) in proposing a bill that would require social-media companies to report online terrorist activity. That bill hasn't advanced so far, but several technology companies have announced plans to step up efforts to prevent the spread of extremist messages.
    02-18-16 04:34 PM
    If such a bill were to pass, they'd lose a lot of companies to overseas countries.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-16 04:50 PM
    If such a bill were to pass, they'd lose a lot of companies to overseas countries.

Posted via CB10
    Not necessarily, since the users of the country would likely still be American, then the law may apply to them as well since their use is still intended for Americans. Legally speaking they might be subject to the 'laws of the land' in which they operate because it could be shown that the app was intended, or that they profit off Americans substantially as a part of their revenue, which would subject them to US jurisdictions. Sure they might stay abroad and not respond to claims, but that could create injunctions or orders to ban their service.

It's much more complex, but similar situations can be seen with 'products liability' exposures in the US. Tech products would likely have similar precedents applied.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-16 05:00 PM
    Hey Abouthsu, I replied to your private message, but not sure if it has gone through (did it twice, but didn't see it sent). Let me know. Cheers!
    abouthsu likes this.
    02-18-16 05:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    Like Carrier and Nabisco? LoL
    02-18-16 06:00 PM
    OT The ongoing melodrama around Apple security:

Apple Unlocked iPhones for the Feds 70 Times Before - The Daily Beast
    That is what I'm thinking
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-18-16 08:12 PM
    OT
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...show-1.3453334
    a little fun...... Blackberry wins 1st place!
    Last edited by kadakn01; 02-19-16 at 01:00 AM.
    3MIKE, rarsen, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    02-19-16 12:29 AM
    I think the Blackberry BTS team will can grow the revenue of that division to $1B / year, something similar to Nokia's patent revenue.

The Cisco, Canon, IGT wins have very little to do with Blackberry's core strengths.

I think there will be HUGE wins from Citrix, Apple, Sony, Samsung, Google...

BTS will be a cash cow.. no doubt.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-16 07:56 AM
    CeBIT 2016
    For those of you who speak German, a presentation by Dr. Christoph Erdmann, Founder and CEO Secusmart as part of a CeBIT preview:
    https://www.secusmart.com/en/about-s...stoph-erdmann/
    From 52:30:
    Deutsche Messe AG

And a Press Release on the SecuSUITE for Entreprise solution that will be presented at this year's CeBIT (mid-March):
    Secusmart und BlackBerry zeigen erste gemeinsame Sicherheitsl�sung - Secusmart GmbH - Pressemitteilung

It is said that Samsung will present a new "Highlight".
    02-19-16 08:19 AM
    02-19-16 08:32 AM
    OT Biotechs

Hey M8, what do you think about biotechs now? had a few good trading days, HALO closed right above its 20MA but looks good, I just see some resistance at $9
    Hi Slipstream89 !!

I think that's where the big money will be made again. I have been a buyer the past 4 weeks and have my HALO average into the $ 8.00's now. I have also bought PSDV and I'm going to purchase a big chunk of SPHS. As for the technicals, HALO is finding great support at $ 7.00/shr and tracking the IBB Index perfectly, nothing less, nothing more so follow that index. SPHS popped above its 50-dma and seems to be setting up for a rally here. PSDV sold $ 16.2 MM worth of stock at $ 4.00/shr and they will want their money back so it is a buy as well. The whole sector has been trashed but that's where the biggest gains where over the past 4 years so it makes sense. I'm buying Biotech for the second half of the year, I see the entire market moving sideways here until the bears go away. Just follow the IBB Index using the 3-ema as your guideline. When the Index moves above that line, its a buy, watch for support there too, yesterday the Index got clipped and closed just below it and today we will be down as the general market is crying again. Everything should find support and trade sideways until money nibbles away at the bargains again.

I have to hand it to BlackBerry, the stock sold off yesterday giving up all of that breakout rally the prior day and then from 12:00 PM on, it moved right back to unchanged. We don't see that kind of support very often. So BBRY is holding up well and it needs to as the market will open down again this morning setting us up for a similar day of back and fill followed by the need to rally again. CJ pointed out that $ 7.05/shr is the pivot point for BBRY, notice how that number was resistance and then support yesterday, let's see it work today starting at noon.

The market is still getting clipped by the shorts, they have the upper hand right now and seem to give us a little only to take it all back. So look for the general market to trade weak on light pre-weekend volume with some support after the first hour.

Good luck, lots of great buys out there as the big money tells you we saw a fake rally this week and we must go down again. Doom and gloom is a great time to load up, just move into it gradually.
    lech31, bungaboy, Corbu and 12 others like this.
    02-19-16 08:42 AM
    OT: Justice Department vs Apple
    For those who are interested in the background of this story:
    U.S. Clash With Apple Was Months in the Making - WSJ

Long OT, apologies...

Dispute between Justice Department and Apple long predates tussle over iPhone related to San Bernardino attacks

At a congressional hearing on Feb. 9, Federal Bureau of Investigation Director James Comey discussed obstacles of prying open electronic devices such as smartphones, zeroing in on a case in point: the San Bernardino, Calif., terrorist attack.

“We still have one of those killers’ phones that we have not been able to open,” he said. “It’s been over two months now, and we’re still working on it.”

Although few realized it at the time, Mr. Comey’s comments were a shot across the bow of Apple Inc. The company had been refusing for weeks to help the FBI unlock the phone used by Syed Rizwan Farook, one of the perpetrators of the attack, according to people familiar with matter.

Justice Department officials had even considered filing court papers against Apple a month earlier, only to hold off in the hope of gaining more cooperation.

The standoff, a precedent-setting case on privacy and security in the digital age, culminated this week when a judge ordered Apple to help the FBI circumvent passcode protection on the phone and Apple said it would fight the order. That set the stage for a possible landmark decision on the relationship between government and technology companies. The industry has steadfastly resisted the government’s demands for help in unlocking encrypted communications.

It is a legal battle that holds risks for both sides. State and local law-enforcement authorities are already looking to follow the lead of the FBI in its face-off with Apple. On Thursday, Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance said his office is in the process of determining which cases involving encrypted smartphones it should bring before a New York state judge for a similar review.

The legal fight between the Justice Department and Apple over encryption had been building for months. When Mr. Farook and his wife walked into a holiday party for his co-workers on Dec. 2 and began firing—killing 14 people and injuring 22—the government and technology companies had already been feuding publicly and privately over how encryption puts some data beyond the reach of criminal investigators.

In a meeting more than a year ago, the No. 2 Justice Department official told Apple that some day there would be a crucial case involving a locked phone and a missing or murdered child. It would be better for Apple to help on encryption issues before such a case, rather than after, then-deputy attorney general, James Cole told an Apple lawyer.

While a terror attack is a different scenario, several federal law-enforcement officials said this week the San Bernardino case was just the kind of thing they had warned about.

Apple executives believed they had worked extensively with law enforcement on the San Bernardino matter. The government’s legal documents note that Apple had turned over phone information that Mr. Farook backed up on its iCloud service through mid-October, a month and a half before the attack.

Apple CEO Tim Cook and his colleagues viewed the government’s request to create software to get around its own security as a step too far. Apple feels very strongly about two tenets—data must be encrypted, and its software can’t have any “back doors” allowing government access—Mr. Cook said last year at The Wall Street Journal’s technology conference.

Apple’s position dovetails with its business interests. It increasingly has used its vocal stance on privacy to distinguish itself from rivals, such as Google, that make money largely on ads targeted at users based on their online data. Apple says its business is about selling devices and services, not ads.

And two-thirds of Apple’s business comes from outside the U.S. where public sentiment about government surveillance is different. Europeans, for example, value privacy highly, and have expressed growing concerns about the control U.S. tech companies exercise over personal data. Government access to user data is also a concern in countries with authoritarian governments.

In the San Bernardino case, a search of a black Lexus registered to Mr. Farook’s mother turned up his work phone, an iPhone protected by a passcode. Though it was owned by Mr. Farook’s employer, San Bernardino County, the county didn’t know the passcode. FBI agents tried different ways to retrieve data on it, including getting the information backed up to cloud storage.

But Mr. Farook had apparently manually turned off his cloud-storage backup function about Oct. 19, which suggested there still might be important information on the phone. The FBI and Apple discussed the issue in December without reaching an agreement on how the company might be able to help open the phone.

Justice Department lawyers, determined to pry it open, prepared in early January to file court papers seeking to force Apple to help the FBI, according to people familiar with the matter. Some officials weren’t optimistic but felt it was worth sending a warning.

At the last minute, prosecutors decided there was a technical question to resolve with Apple, so the two sides kept talking. The technical issue, which those familiar with the matter didn’t want to describe, took a few more weeks to sort out. Then the federal government told Apple again it was planning to file court papers to force the company to cooperate.

Privately, government officials hoped Mr. Comey’s allusion to the San Bernardino phone before Congress on Feb. 9 would send a signal to Apple that the Justice Department would soon go public with its concerns about the case and the broader issue of encrypted phones.

That same day, the chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, Sen. Ron Johnson (R., Wis), hosted a closed-door meeting with officials from technology firms to talk about encryption and the use of technology by extremists.

Percolating in the background was a case with similar issues: In Brooklyn, N.Y., a federal magistrate judge had asked Apple in late 2015 whether there were legal grounds to reject a prosecutor’s request for a similar order concerning a drug suspect. Such a move by a judge is rare, and some experts viewed it as an indication the judge might ultimately rule against the government on the encryption issue.

Three days later, a lawyer for Apple sent that judge a letter that hinted at the larger fight over the San Bernardino phone, without providing any details.

“Apple has received additional requests similar to the one underlying the case before this court,’’ Apple lawyer Marc Zwillinger wrote to Magistrate Judge James Orenstein.

Referring to an 18th-century law, the lawyer added: “Apple has also been advised that the government intends to continue to invoke the All Writs Act in this and other districts in an attempt to require Apple to assist in bypassing the security of other Apple devices in the government’s possession.’’

Apple urged the New York judge to decide quickly. “Doing so would be more efficient than starting the debate anew when the government attempts to use the same methods and make the same arguments in another court,’’ Mr. Zwillinger wrote.

The move—an effort to get a favorable ruling on the issue before the fight over the San Bernardino phone became public knowledge—wasn’t successful. The judge in that case is still weighing the matter.
    02-19-16 12:01 PM
    Holy boring sideways afternoon. May have to go for a nap. Lol

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 and 3MIKE like this.
    02-19-16 01:04 PM
    02-19-16 01:58 PM
    BlackBerry at Embedded World 2016 next week showcasing QNX

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-demos.jpg
    Last edited by W Hoa; 02-19-16 at 03:06 PM.
    02-19-16 02:34 PM
    BlackBerry at MWC next week showcasing QNX

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	demos.jpg 
Views:	2447 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	391935
    Is that MWC or Embedded World Conference?

Posted via CB10
    02-19-16 02:55 PM
    My bad...Embedded World 2016. Post has been updated
    cjcampbell and bungaboy like this.
    02-19-16 03:07 PM
    Happy Friday!! I woke up this morning, and spending last night, thinking we still had a another day in the week so I got caught off guard shortly after 8am when I realized. lol... good grief. Oh well.. I've decided I'm ok with it as often Friday can't come soon enough.

As for the week... Morgan pretty much covered it all earlier and the story really didn't change since then. What I was happy to see was a solid mix of green and red, not just the whole market one or the other. This tells me that even though the overall sentiment, oil (ugh) and world markets will still influence, there is finally a point where individual stocks can start doing there own thing again.

Below is the week of BBRY in the 3 minute chart. It's trying, but it's still far from the darling "safe" harbour that others are proving to be... cough cough... TWTR (for some ungodly reason).. cough cough.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2016-02-19-4.33.08-pm.png
    sidhuk, Corbu, rarsen and 10 others like this.
    02-19-16 03:45 PM
    More on the saga... With a mention of MobileIron and other MDM suppliers...
    EXCLUSIVE-Common mobile software could have opened San Bernardino shooter's iPhone
    02-19-16 03:45 PM
    More on the saga... With a mention of MobileIron and other MDM suppliers...
    EXCLUSIVE-Common mobile software could have opened San Bernardino shooter's iPhone
    Pretty weak pitch if you ask me. lol. The odds vs the cost isn't going to make any employers more or less likely to instal any MDM solution simply because of this.
    02-19-16 03:58 PM
    OT from the Related Technologies and Security file. Rapidly interesting and complex challenges with immense opportunites for those recognized with specialized expertise in security software and services -- hint, hint::

A data disaster? How enterprise customers and data center operators are prepping for IoT | ZDNet
    "The Gartner report is now doctrine. There will be 6.4 billion connected "things" by 2020. In 2016, 5.5 million new things will be connected every day.
    Data centers are now having to rethink how they manage security, servers, storage, and network assets. Here's the diplomatic understatement of the century from Gartner's Joe Skorupa: "Data center managers will need to deploy more forward-looking capacity management in these areas to be able to proactively meet the business priorities associated with IoT." Lay interpretation: Batten the damn hatches! Each has its own regulatory environment with regards to data. We're going to see larger customers that span industries and geographies have to deal with new complexities when they think about storing and transferring their data. "
    02-19-16 05:40 PM
    Hope he likes his Priv

Posted via CB10
    02-19-16 07:17 PM
    OT

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/bl...-for-more-pain

Prem Watsa, the Canadian investor who heads Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd., increased his bets that equity markets are due for more pain.

Fairfax added $938 million in short positions and derivatives tied to individual stocks and equity indexes this year, the Toronto-based company said in its fourth-quarter statement Thursday. That means Watsa�s equity portfolio is about 100 per cent hedged, up from 88 per cent on Dec. 31.

�We are maintaining our defensive equity hedges and deflation protection as we remain concerned about the financial markets and the economic outlook in this global deflationary environment,� Watsa, the company�s chairman and chief executive officer, said in the statement.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, theRock1975, 3MIKE and 5 others like this.
    02-19-16 11:24 PM
    Thanks for the update M8!! Appreciate your insight as always!

Just another topic really quickly, dont know if this has been posted but i saw this a few days ago and thought of BlackBerry...are we still in the business of securing hospital networks? These ransomware attacks are so often now i think BlackBerry should be going at this hard

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0VS05M

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, rarsen, 3MIKE and 4 others like this.
    02-20-16 12:23 AM
113,250 ... 38333834383538363837 ...