View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Time to short BBRY. No BBOS10 going forward. No support for apps development. Moving into the "me-to" Android market. Enterprise customers will see the end is coming and move away. Might get a short term bump as IT departments order end of life hardware, but then it is a death spiral. Trading at a 3 month low. Short before it goes below $5 and you lose your chance to make money on Chen's stupidity.
    Thanks for the advice, I just sold all my shares. Looking to get into KBIO, someone told me they're going to make a comeback
    01-22-16 05:30 PM
    I will avoid long and boring sentences.
    An image worth 1K words.
    Let me just add the following :

Every time the oil price goes down hard, there's a mechanical raise of the demand. (think "squeeze")
    The deeper, the higher.

Attachment 388709

Let them play for a while. Then we'll be back.
    Well, the graph is pointless because you are looking at many many decades. For the larger companies, it might recover. But for a smaller company that can't ride out many years of low prices, they might go out of business.
    Point is, price will go up eventually, but the question is when?
    You basically want to buy low sell high, so many people who think it will go down will sell and wait. All the selling causes a chain effect and pushes everything lower and lower until the oil hits rock bottom and at some point supply and demand will rebalance.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-16 05:40 PM
    BBC - Capital - How two iPads and a smartphone became the new normal

So long laptop. Goodbye pen and paper. At Davos, multiple small devices — including the BlackBerry — are in the hands and pockets of most executives. A look at what people carry.

[...]

Lest you think that everyone at Davos has an iPhone, I should note the gathering boasted the largest collection of BlackBerries I’ve seen in one place. A lot of people had two phones: a BlackBerry for work and an iPhone or Android phone for personal use. The consensus from those I spoke to seemed to be that companies still like the security of the BlackBerry, and its users really like the keyboard.
    01-22-16 05:44 PM
    Gentleman/Ladies lets be nice to shorts on this thread and welcome them with a bbjdog monkey picture.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-th0tpl02fs.jpg
    01-22-16 05:46 PM
    01-22-16 07:42 PM
    OT
    Per Bloomberg:
    Apple Executive Leading Electric-Car Project Said to Depart

By Adam Satariano - Jan 22, 2016 4:43:27 PM
    The executive leading Apple Inc.�s development of an electric car is leaving the company, according to two people familiar with the move.

Steve Zadesky, who was tapped by Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook to shepherd Apple�s bid to enter the automobile market, stepped down for personal reasons, not because of his performance, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified discussing Apple personnel matters.

The leadership change hasn�t altered Apple�s plans to develop a car, one of the people said. Zadesky�s exit was reported earlier by the Wall Street Journal. Apple declined to comment.

While Apple has never confirmed it�s developing a car, the iPhone maker has been building a team, including engineers and experts in battery and robotics technology, to work on the project. The Cupertino, California-based company last year had been exploring whether it could go into production by 2020, though such deadlines are fluid in automotive design. Zadesky, who earlier worked on the iPhone and iPod, had been leading the effort since 2014.

According to the Journal, Apple�s team has run into trouble in development, with some suggesting the deadlines aren�t obtainable.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-16 08:08 PM
    Anyone have any speculation for Monday? Missing a few regular contributors here

Posted via my PRIV
    01-22-16 09:28 PM
    I know, it's Friday night, oops Saturday morning 1:00 o'clock

But I had to share this ;

http://m.obj.ca/Technology/2016-01-2...87/Apple&rsquo

Maybe it's better than I thought that Apple set up shop in the neighborhood!

Anyway good night, I'm tired, it's been a hell of a week

Forgot this from STOCKTWITS
    Check out @OutOfBounds1 message on StockTwits OutOfBounds1 - $BBRY | StockTwits
    Last edited by 3MIKE; 01-23-16 at 12:22 AM.
    01-23-16 12:00 AM
    Attachment 388704

Have a great weekend gang!
    Definitely bring some pills to China for me as well.

I've been to China many times. I don't remember ever seeing this girl. Must be looking in the wrong places.
    3MIKE, Corbu, morganplus8 and 1 others like this.
    01-23-16 02:26 AM
    Re: shorts...I'm one, clearly, as described on this thread numerous times. Just not of BBRY. Shorts basically need to sell high and buy (cover) low. Anyone telling you to short BBRY after the stock has gone down to oversold levels close to cash, based on things that reduce costs for the company, just doesn't know what they are talking about, quite frankly. Don't feed please, and please don't insult me by considering this person to represent 'shorts', thanks. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DaSchwantz; 01-23-16 at 10:21 AM.
    foxdog0007, 3MIKE, ZayDub and 7 others like this.
    01-23-16 09:10 AM
    *OT*

Well.... After the sell off last week which I managed to partially avoid by selling my positions quickly, I only did one single trade this week for a 20% gain on ECA.TO.... My point being, I was VERY tempted to enter ECA at a higher price (which appeared very cheap) but we never really know what is "cheap" in a volatile market.... I remained patient and watched from the sidelines...buy low and sell high requires some technical knowledge but a little luck is involved too especially in short term trades

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-jan2016_2.png
    Jahcure likes this.
    01-23-16 09:42 AM
    I was wondering bbj, is that you with the remote in the video?

01-23-16 09:30 PM
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=VMuEis3byY4

Mainly first few minutes are of any concern, info from 2006, some might have seen it before but new to me

(on shorts and hedge fund practises)

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE, Andy_bb_king and CDM76 like this.
    01-24-16 06:03 AM
    This is how insecure android is
    Basically you're telling Google when you're going on vacation

Posted on my BlackBerry Vienna via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screenshot_2016-01-24-07-18-56.jpg  
    01-24-16 06:21 AM
    This is how insecure android is
    Basically you're telling Google when you're going on vacation

Posted on my BlackBerry Vienna via the CrackBerry App for Android
    *unprivate

Posted via CB10
    01-24-16 06:38 AM
    OT on how insecure the IOT is:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016...eeping-babies/

This is exactly the kind of thing BlackBerry wants to help avoid as they develop their IOT framework. I'd like to hear more about what they're developing and hoe they'll prevent situations like this from happening.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, 3MIKE, morganplus8 and 5 others like this.
    01-24-16 07:22 AM
    @Shlooky You are obviously new at this game. The author explained it that you can't look at this as a short term investment (day to day) as there will be fluctuations, this is a long term strategy.
    01-24-16 07:45 AM
    I was wondering bbj, is that you with the remote in the video?
    Nice!

Nope! The monkey has better taste then me when it comes to the suits. LOL
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-24-16 08:05 AM
    Anyone have any speculation for Monday? Missing a few regular contributors here

Posted via my PRIV
    No idea. But I think it will be above 10 by mid April (two weeks after the ER settles in).
    01-24-16 12:02 PM
    Why would it be two weeks after ER? Would you please elaborate

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    01-24-16 12:24 PM
    OT: More opportunities?

Smart cars that share revealing info about drivers catch privacy watchdog's eye

Smart cars that share revealing info about drivers catch privacy watchdog's eye | The Chronicle Herald

"OTTAWA � The family car is learning more about who's behind the wheel � everything from where a driver likes to shop to how hard they brake � as automakers roll out new tech-savvy features.

With cars collecting and even sharing more personal data, Canada's privacy watchdog is quietly trying to ensure manufacturers, retailers and insurance companies avoid bumps on the virtual highway.

On-board navigation systems can tell where a vehicle is and where it has been. Electronic components stream data to computers that gauge driver behaviour and the car's roadworthiness. Vehicles recognize drivers and adjust settings for them. Infotainment systems allow voice and data communications.

"With connectivity, cars are becoming highly efficient data harvesting machines," says a 2015 study by the British Columbia Freedom of Information and Privacy Association.

Customer data generated by the connected car is now seen as a major new source of revenue for marketers and advertisers, the study found. Some insurance companies are offering coverage that sets premiums based on driving patterns.

When tracked, combined or linked with other available data, the information can reveal intensely private details of a person's life, making it vulnerable to abuse by thieves, stalkers and others with malicious intent, the study says.

It argues automakers have failed to comply with their obligations under Canadian privacy law when it comes to giving customers adequate information and choice about how their data is collected and used.

The study recommends creation of data-protection regulations for the connected car and insurance industries, as well as involvement of privacy experts in the design stage of wired-vehicle research projects.

The federal privacy commissioner's office, which financially supported the B.C. study, is "actively following" the issues and has held discussions with industry players and provincial regulators, said Valerie Lawton, a spokeswoman for the commissioner.

The Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers Association, which represents the country's largest car-makers, initiated a meeting with the federal commissioner's office last June, say notes disclosed under the Access to Information Act.

Federal privacy officials saw it as an opportunity to get a better sense of the information collected by intelligent cars, what might be coming, and whether manufacturers were fully aware of their obligations, the notes indicate.

Legal and regulatory requirements are considered whenever car-makers look at introducing new technologies with privacy implications, said Mark Nantais, manufacturers association president.

"We're fully compliant � and intend to be fully compliant � with the laws that are applicable," he said in an interview.

As for insurance-related data, that's a relationship between the driver and their insurance company that goes beyond the automaker, Nantais said.

The internal notes from the privacy commissioner paint a futuristic scenario involving in-car advertising � for instance, a near-empty gas-tank sensor could project an advisory on the windshield offering the driver a discount at a nearby filling station.

Nantais, however, played down the notion wired cars produce a bounty of valuable information.

"Is it myth or reality that the data actually exists? That's a valid question," he said. "Some people think that everything under the sun is available, and I don't think that's the case."

As vehicles become increasingly reliant on technology, security will be paramount, Nantais added.

"We want to make sure that those vehicles cannot be hacked and that they remain safe," he said. "And there's a lot of work going on in the industry relative to cyber security of vehicles, primarily from a safety perspective.""
    sidhuk, 3MIKE, morganplus8 and 8 others like this.
    01-24-16 01:09 PM
    No idea. But I think it will be above 10 by mid April (two weeks after the ER settles in).
    I think they beat handily on hardware and show profit in all business units. Prob will be 10 on April 2 but I'm giving them time to raise forecasts. I think this Q all the short thesis' get smokes.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-16 02:08 PM
    I thought with the current environment it was important to repeat something I discussed earlier on my call with IR as one important quality that BBRY has today, a significantly de-risked balance sheet and a quick lesson from some other companies, like the ones that Prem watsa is also involved in (sandrigde energy) as well as his friend Mohnish Pabrai and his investment in ZINC (horsehead holdings). As hard as it is to see the current price gyrate, look no further than the Russell 2000 which is down nearly 26% at one point a few days back (high of 1296 and low of 958), and although technically BBRY is more of a small-midcap name, it has a higher correlation to the Russell 2000 than the SP 500 recently.
    Here is a recent excerpt from the CFO of Horsehead from a question from pabrai.
    Mohnish: "You have this new plant and when it’s fully ramped up there is $90 to $110 million in additional EBIT coming out of the new plant. At current zinc prices at what percent capacity does the plant break even?"

BobScherich (CFO): "The zinc price has moved down about 25% in the last 2 or 3 months. For cash flow breakeven we need to be close to 75% capacity at the current zinc price. Right now, we are hedged well above the current zinc price which is why we have a concern. We need to get the production levels up by the time we hit the unhedged portion."
    The lesson many investors are learning today is the income statement matters much less than the balance sheet, because as in ZINC, as many others, who will own an asset when there is a liquidity crunch that we are seeing today? The debt holders is the answer, either in BK, or some type of restructuring. MOBL comes to mind as they are burning that cash very quickly and will be in quick need of some type of liquidity soon as the pricing environment can stay lower longer than they can last (also reason GOOD sold). They may "have" some large deals that could materialize in the future, but without a rock solid balance sheet, they will be finished. That lesson was a painful one in the financial crisis in the 2008 market and now in the current market as well. What happens if tomorrow their is a shutdown of the factory for the priv or worse a network issue with BBRY, or any other event? While rare, you just don't know and another reason no one forecast the current low price in energy, as it went lower than anyone thought.
    I love technical analysis as well and use it daily, but at the end of the day, only the balance sheet can protect anyone from a crisis, and Chen deserves tremendous credit for disciplined acquisitions while keeping the balance sheet as strong as ever. I always think of any company in this fashion. If you had the capital to buy the entire business, would you? If not size it appropriately, as there is too much risk to weight it too heavily. When Buffet bought large positions in companies, he made sure the margin of safety was significant to warrant such a bet. Any commodity company cannot control the price in itself unless fully hedged for many years and enough so to allow for type of periods we are in today. Many were hedged until last year and now face a large liquidity crisis. the ones that can take advantage of the current situation and have are Carl Icahn, and Oaktree, along with a few others that will end up collecting assets at bargain prices, the way Chen did with GOOD. Chen is not getting much credit (the price is essentially unchanged from when he took over!) for the balance sheet and the positive cash flow and no large (like 5.9B a few years ago with the Z10 and why they needed the 1.25B in converts in the first place) contractual obligations that could destroy the company like it almost did if the Priv is a failure. they could buy back the converts later this year and still have almost 1.5 Billion in net cash!

The sleep at night factor is one thing Chen has created and one that should not be overlooked, while many other, so called smart CEO's have destroyed the equity value permanently.
    Last edited by kadakn01; 01-24-16 at 02:52 PM.
    3_M4N, bungaboy, sidhuk and 19 others like this.
    01-24-16 02:32 PM
    Nice reading material for a Sunday Kadakn01! Thanks!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    01-24-16 03:26 PM
    Well, the graph is pointless because you are looking at many many decades. For the larger companies, it might recover. But for a smaller company that can't ride out many years of low prices, they might go out of business.
    Point is, price will go up eventually, but the question is when?
    You basically want to buy low sell high, so many people who think it will go down will sell and wait. All the selling causes a chain effect and pushes everything lower and lower until the oil hits rock bottom and at some point supply and demand will rebalance.
    Posted via CB10
    Unless I pointed the wrong graph, I'm not referring to a "small company" but the oil market which is seen (by some) as a symptomatic proof that the whole economy is going to crush [less China oil demand = less growth for the world, in the shortest way I can use].
    I'm never gambling with highs and lows, my overall invested amount in stocks is too small (by a LOT) to be in that scenario, OP's clear about it, remember ?
    So, what I say is : if you just have $BBRY paper money and you don't need the cash : relax.

Have a great afternoon guys, CU on Monday European time !
    bungaboy, 3MIKE, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    01-24-16 04:13 PM
113,256 ... 38103811381238133814 ...