Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    01-14-16 10:25 AM
    Indexes dropping
    morganplus8 likes this.
    01-14-16 10:27 AM
    01-14-16 10:38 AM
    OT:
    Best Buy?s Holiday Sapped by Weak Smartphone Sales - WSJ

Best Buy Co.’s holiday sales declined as the retailer sold fewer smartphones than expected, another sign of soft demand for the latest models from Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co.

The electronics chain on Thursday said domestic sales over the nine weeks through Jan. 2 fell 1.2%, excluding newly opened or closed stores. Shoppers picked up fewer mobile devices and shunned the cases and headphones that come with them, executives said.

For all its spending on brighter stores and a sharper website, Best Buy remains at the mercy of big-name manufacturers. Apple hasn’t reported its holiday results, but Chinese parts suppliers have recently warned of slower iPhone production. Samsung executives this month said they were adjusting their strategy to adapt to pressure on smartphone sales.

“Our categories are driven in part by product cycles,” Chief Executive Hubert Joly said in an interview. “In that context, we were able to really perform well.”

On Wednesday, camera maker GoPro Inc. said it would slash jobs after posting weak holiday retail sales for its latest wearable camera, despite two rounds of price cuts. Mr. Joly said the result should come as no surprise because GoPro didn’t release a new product for the holidays.

Mr. Joly noted that one of every two ultrahigh-definition 4K television sets sold in the U.S. came from Best Buy. The chain also said its operating margins wouldn’t narrow as much as expected in the fourth quarter, which ends Jan. 30.

Shares of the company fell 11% to $26.15 early Thursday. The last time Best Buy reported lower holiday sales, in early 2014, the stock lost roughly a third of its value.

The shortfall shed light on a familiar predicament for Best Buy: Despite massive revenue gains for Silicon Valley software developers, there is relatively little growth among retailers selling the gadgets that make much of that technology possible.

Best Buy’s overall revenue slipped 3.6% to $10.96 billion over the holidays, partly because the chain closed 66 Future Shop stores in Canada earlier in the year. Mr. Joly on Thursday said the company had no plans to cut its store count further.

Domestic sales of computers, tablets and mobile phones fell 7.2% from a year ago, while appliance sales rose 13%. The sales excluded the impact of wireless installment billing plans, which bring more upfront revenue to retailers’ top lines.

The results follow dismal reports from Hhregg Inc., a regional competitor, and from videogame chain GameStop Corp., which managed a 1.8% sales gain over the holidays only because it sold more game consoles and collectibles.

Personal computer sales in the fourth quarter of 2015 sank to their lowest levels since 2007, according to market researcher International Data Corp.

Mr. Joly suggested the next wave of demand could be around the corner, noting the number of new devices, from drones to apparel, on display at last week’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

“There will always be ups and downs,” he said. “We continue to be excited about the rate of technology innovation.”
    Plus this, which we already know about:
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/apples-s...nue-1452773860
    Apple’s Slowing iPhone Sales Take Bite Out of Suppliers’ Revenues
    01-14-16 10:42 AM
    Indexes dropping
    The market is open for 6.5 hours so it is holding up pretty good considering that. We can call this a bottom and a key reversal assuming we hold onto some of the gains. I would like to see the S&P 500 above 1900 and the DOW up a 100 pts, at the close. I also want a positive day for BBRY, say above $ 7.20/shr. The real gains come when everyone realizes that was a tradeable bottom in the market. The one thing we haven't seen this year, is a decent gain in the general market. The media and everyone on those "business" shows are so bearish, it takes time for the market to prove that they are overly pessimistic.

If this is a pause to refresh, it would be really bullish if the DOW makes a new intraday high. BBRY hit its downtrend line at $ 7.37/shr this morning and would have to close above that level to turn bullish. That's why I want it to hold above $ 7.20 and make the breakout tomorrow on volume. Let's see what happens, so far, so good!
    W Hoa, Corbu, sidhuk and 12 others like this.
    01-14-16 10:50 AM
    01-14-16 12:11 PM
    01-14-16 12:21 PM
    And this is...I just can't believe that tiny article about the NFI was blown out of proportion. But this is a good statement from BlackBerry.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-sta...essages-phones

Edit: was already posted bij bbjdog
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Ribes Nigrum; 01-14-16 at 12:51 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-14-16 12:26 PM
    Do I smell a sentiment change? Not putting a whole lot of trust in the day, but boy is it refreshing!

Posted via CB10
    01-14-16 12:35 PM
    We were taken down within a tight channel and now we are looking at breaking out of that channel

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-january-14-2016.png

We took a run at it a few minutes ago and the rest of the market looks solid so ............................ today or tomorrow?
    01-14-16 12:44 PM
    01-14-16 01:28 PM
    You know what I hate most about this situation? Stocks aren't trading on their own merit. Well, some are, both up and down, but for the most part they're all following the same patterns to varying degrees. I have 8 charts up at any given time and if one pops up or down, sure enough at least 6 others did too, or are about to.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-16 01:36 PM
    BlackBerry Should Focus on M&A, Stock Buybacks - Barron's

BlackBerry (BBRY: Nasdaq)
    By Wells Fargo Securities ($7.08, Jan. 13, 2016)

In our opinion, BlackBerry should exit the hardware business, which would help to drive profitability and cash flow, which could then be used for acquisitions or share repurchases.

However, given where BlackBerry (ticker: BBRY ) is in its transition, we maintain our Market Perform rating. We adjust our valuation range to $7.25-$8.00 (down from $8.50-$9.50) due to lower peer-comp valuations and a slightly lower hardware multiple given our views. Our new valuation range is based on a sum-of-the-parts valuation (fiscal 2017 estimates).

We believe BlackBerry is in different stages for its business segments--enterprise security is prepared now to focus on driving revenue through its broader portfolio, QNX/Internet of Things may look to further advance the strategy with mergers and acquisitions (M&A), Internet protocol is still in the early stages of monetization, hardware is in what we would call a period of exploration to determine whether there is a market for more-secure [Alphabet’s Google ( GOOGL )] Android phones (with options for either success or failure), and service access fees and Technical Support Services are in transitional decline.

Separately, our sense is management may opt to redeem its $1.25 billion of convertible debt after Nov. 13, 2016, due to its 6% rate, which we estimate would add roughly three cents per quarter, all else being equal. While the company has made great strides in righting the ship from where it was just two years ago, the big test will be in product traction.

We believe testing the waters to see if there is a market for a more-secure Android phone is the right move. However, regardless, we believe the end goal should be to exit the hardware business, which we believe would result in incremental earnings per share of 67 cents. We believe the cash-charge impact would be around $100 million.

If there is a market for more-secure Android phones, we believe BlackBerry could profitably license out its security technology to handset original equipment manufacturers. If there is no market, we believe it would be logical to shut down and exit the hardware business completely and use the incremental profits and cash flow for M&A or share repurchases. We believe a sale of the business is unlikely given the lack of scale and profits and also believe a sale of its patent portfolio is unlikely.

-- Maynard Um
    -- Munjal Shah
    -- Jason Ng
    01-14-16 01:59 PM
    Refresh button!

"While we continue to invest in BlackBerry 10 in 2016, we will also develop another Android-based phone. We�ll share more details about our roadmap when we�re ready."

Last edited by bbjdog; 01-14-16 at 03:02 PM.
    01-14-16 02:41 PM
    Wow, long time no see! How you been?

Posted via CB10
    PB, its sure has. I'm doing well, crazy busy with life, work and kid. In some ways its nice to see the familiar names and feels like home coming back whenever time permit. How you been? Happy New Year and hope all is well!
    01-14-16 05:17 PM
    Long time no hear from you! Hope you are doing well? Your response was a bit cryptic, did you start a new business or is it an investment? If its an investment you aren't allowed to withhold that information from this group sir! LOL

I'm doing better than one year ago, that's for sure, one more surgery, don't know when but that should clear me to get back my life.

Don't be a stranger, we need all the support we can get with this trade. Ha!

Take care.
    Nothing ever goes under your radar huh M8 Happy New Year btw. As I have grown some wisdom through life to realized nothing is more important than health, I'm very glad to hear you are doing well and better than before. Again, I'm glad to see the familiar faces here still.

As for my cryptic response, let's see if I can encode them into a short paragraph =) but I managed to get involve on a few things, the main focus is the company I started to provide trading (consumer goods) platform services to help companies who are seeking to expand & establish new footprint in market such as China (did I say they have a lot of people there). My focus at the moment are mostly with north america companies and collaborate with them and leverage the strong relationships we have with our partners who has been in the distribution business with over 30+ years of experiences. Some even have exclusive rights to brand such as Pepsi, KFC, and other well known brands of consumer products in the different area/cities in China. On the other hand I was lucky to get involved with creating a product - BN6 Thermal Conductive Coating (BN6 | Thermal Management & Lubrication Solutions). So all in all, its been good but busy and losing a lot of sleep, due to time zone problem.

the world is very small, whether we realized or know, we live in a global world now, what goes around comes around. if what I do can be any use, just let me know.

Take Care!!
    01-14-16 05:41 PM

'Camera test of the BlackBerry Priv's 4K capabilities. Out of any phone I have used personally, the BlackBerry Priv has some of the nicest looking footage due in part to its built in OIS. All Shots here were filmed exclusively on the Priv, with fewer than four shots requiring post image stabilization.'

It's some pretty awesome footage.
    Nice to see BlackBerry Priv getting some more props

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 8 others like this.
    01-14-16 06:05 PM
    Ot reading material

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...=yhoo.headline

01-14-16 06:11 PM
    OT from the Related Technologies file, where logic continues to fail me on the lack of strength of arguments presented.

Apple iPhone ban? New York looks to outlaw sale of encrypted smartphones | ZDNet
    "A proposed bill in New York doesn't demand backdoors in smartphones but will seek to ban the sale of smartphones whose encryption can't be bypassed by the manufacturer."
    01-14-16 06:20 PM
    01-14-16 06:43 PM
    Hi, i just saw on Google finance that BBRY has now a P/E ratio since last quarter. Is this correct?
    01-14-16 06:55 PM
    A bunch of Priv videos were published yesterday... Here are three of the seven:

01-14-16 07:59 PM
    Apologies for the long oil-related OT. Thought it could be of interest to some, here:
    $15 Oil? It?s Already Here, in Canada - WSJ

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-mi-cn784_worse3_16u_20160114191523.jpg

Most barrels of oil sold globally garner less than benchmark prices because they are deemed lower quality or because buyers incur higher shipping costs

Crude prices dipped below $30 a barrel this week for the first time in years. But for many producers, $30 oil already is a thing of the past.

Most barrels of oil sold globally garner less than benchmark prices because they are deemed lower quality, or because buyers incur higher shipping costs. While discounts exist in times of high prices, too, they are more painful for producers when prices are low.

A basket of crude oils sold by the 13 members of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries fell Wednesday to $25.69 a barrel. Oman crude-oil futures on the Dubai Mercantile Exchange, a benchmark for crude exports from the Middle East to Asia, fell to $25.88 a barrel Wednesday. And some of the cheapest crude oil in the world, in Canada, costs less than $15.

These ultralow prices already are forcing producers to pile on spending cuts and increase layoffs, and some analysts have suggested that the U.S. oil price could keep dropping to $20 or lower.

On Thursday, crude oil for February delivery rose 72 cents, or 2.4%, to $31.20 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Brent, the global benchmark, also gained 72 cents, or 2.4%, to $31.03 a barrel on ICE Futures Europe.

Forecasting oil-price moves has proved difficult during the past two years, in part because the economics of drilling for and pumping oil in any given location is subject to its own supply-demand outlook.

“We’re dying on the vine,” said Skip Homeier, president of Bi-Petro Inc. in Springfield, Ill., which operates about 150 wells and buys output from other producers. Oil in Illinois fell below $30 a barrel on Jan. 4, more than a week before the U.S. benchmark did, according to Bi-Petro.

“When oil was at a $30 to $35 barrel, I had more wells making money,” Mr. Homeier said. “Now, I have to look at oil down to $23 a barrel.”

The widely quoted crude-oil benchmarks, Brent crude from the North Sea and West Texas Intermediate traded on the Nymex, are light crudes that are highly prized by refiners.

But only about 40% of the crude produced world-wide is classified as light, said John Auers, executive vice president of consulting firm Turner, Mason & Co. Heavier and ultralight grades of oil are considered more difficult to refine and usually sell at a discount.

In addition, oil that is further from a refining center can cost less, because refiners have to pay higher transportation costs to ship the crude. North Dakota’s light, sweet crude is considered high quality, but the state’s two refineries can’t handle all of the oil produced there and its crude sells below the U.S. benchmark.

Canadian crude oil suffers from quality and transportation discounts. Western Canadian Select, a benchmark for heavy crude oil in Hardisty, Alberta, traded about $14 a barrel below the U.S. benchmark Thursday, according to brokerage Net Energy. Other heavy Canadian grades typically cost a dollar or two less than Western Canadian Select.

One advantage for Canadian producers is the Canadian dollar, which has slid 3.7% against the greenback this month. They sell their oil in U.S. dollars and pay many of their expenses in the Canadian currency. Even so, “the attitude in Calgary is pretty somber,” said Gary Leach, president of the Explorers and Producers Association of Canada, which represents about 180 companies. “It’s hard to believe anybody at a corporate level is making any money.”

A Barclays PLC survey of 225 energy producers conducted in December and early January showed that the industry plans to cut spending globally by 15% this year, following a 23% drop last year. But since prices have fallen even further since the survey, “we see spending being down as much as 20%,” said Barclays analyst Dave Anderson during a media call on Thursday.

On Tuesday, BP PLC said it would lay off about 4,000 workers from its exploration-and-production business, and Brazilian state-run oil producer Petr�leo Brasileiro SA trimmed its production targets and cut its investment budget by about a quarter.

Since oil prices started tumbling in 2014, Nick Powell has watched the oil price every day, along with weekly U.S. inventory and drilling-rig data.

“If [the Nymex price is] $30, we’re $23,” said Mr. Powell, president of Colt Energy Inc. in Iola, Kan., which operates several hundred wells. Colt Energy has cut its staff by 20% and temporarily closed several wells.

“You would hope that maybe in two to three months, you’d be able to turn [the closed wells] back on again,” he said. “You’re not in this business if you’re not an optimist.”

A silver lining for U.S. producers is that the U.S. benchmark’s discount to Brent prices has disappeared in recent weeks. U.S. oil has traded $20 a barrel or more below Brent prices in recent years, because increasing U.S. crude supplies couldn’t be exported. In 2015, U.S. prices traded $3.65 a barrel below Brent prices on average.

Once Congress voted to lift the ban on most U.S. crude exports in December, the price gap between U.S. oil and Brent narrowed to zero.
    01-14-16 08:50 PM
    01-14-16 09:18 PM
113,251 ... 37973798379938003801 ...