View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I follow it loosely. Only grabbed a couple thousand shares to see what happens. Considering the mass market sell off, it held itself quite well so I figured it could be an ok bet. SHOP is another one that performed well. I can't buy it yet as I used it as a tax loss sell so I'm hoping it will stay down here or go a tad lower yet.
    OT I've got a tiny bit of bbd.b shares recently as well...management is horrible though so I'll never go in large.

Cleared almost all my shorts and bought some bbry calls on Friday.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DaSchwantz; 01-09-16 at 02:24 PM.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    01-09-16 01:23 PM
    The good thing about Bombardier is that they probably won't go bankrupt as the government will bail them out. What that means to shareholders is different question.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 02:13 PM
    I have a general question for the seasoned investors in this wonderful thread. When does one take profits?

I know is a loaded question, but I'm am particularly interested in a strategy to stay in the trade while making money.

You see I had some $10 Jan 17 long calls that were up 85% and I didn't sell. I really thought BBRY had momentum, tailwind as they say. Nobody saw the China nonsense so that's hard to predict, though it feels BBRY is getting more punished than the rest, but how could I have prevented the complete wipeout of those gains?

Buy puts when RSI above 70? Sell half the position at 85% gain? All of it?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    There are four factors with options trading that are at play in addition to the normal share price movements. The first is volatility, measured by the VIX, which raises premiums on both sides. You should try to buy when volatility is low and sell when it is high. The second factor is time decay. The longer away the date of expiration, the lower the time decay, and vice versa when expiration is around the corner. The third is the spread, which is much wider than with stocks. Sometimes a bit of aggressive 'haggling' at the right time can get you an extra 10% of more. Watch the trading and wait for someone on the other side who really wants to buy of sell. The last of course is the strike price vs the current share price and how far in or out of the money you are. The price of the option will move up or down much faster (exponentially) as the SP approaches the strike price. TA on the share trading will not inform you of these things, but it will help to give you a sense of resistance points, etc etc on the share price.

You have to be fairly ruthless about taking profits and/or limited losses and rolling into new positions that are further out (if you think there is still more overall direction in the SP left), if you want to make money. If you're more than a few months away from expiration, you can do this with a portion of your position at a time, but I wouldn't try to swing trade in and out completely, because commissions, premiums, and spreads can quickly erode any potential gains. It's better to layer in and out with a rolling position as I've described, and personally I only take one side of the trade on a given stock, but I do intentionally take both long and short positions on different stocks from the same sector, depending on where the general market indices are at, so that I can take profits in down markets as well as up markets.

Ultimately it's very hard to make money...when you were up by 85% it would have been a good time to take profits on 1/3 or half your position, and roll it into something a bit closer to the money once the SP settles down and premiums ease back. You can still do this with new money, but then sell a bigger portion of your original position the next time the SP is hitting upper resistance after a good move higher.

My two cents.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 02:15 PM
    The good thing about Bombardier is that they probably won't go bankrupt as the government will bail them out. What that means to shareholders is different question.

Posted via CB10
    Bombardier has been great swing stock for me, i always buy when it goes below 1.15

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 03:58 PM
    There are four factors with options trading that are at play in addition to the normal share price movements. The first is volatility, measured by the VIX, which raises premiums on both sides. You should try to buy when volatility is low and sell when it is high. The second factor is time decay. The longer away the date of expiration, the lower the time decay, and vice versa when expiration is around the corner. The third is the spread, which is much wider than with stocks. Sometimes a bit of aggressive 'haggling' at the right time can get you an extra 10% of more. Watch the trading and wait for someone on the other side who really wants to buy of sell. The last of course is the strike price vs the current share price and how far in or out of the money you are. The price of the option will move up or down much faster (exponentially) as the SP approaches the strike price. TA on the share trading will not inform you of these things, but it will help to give you a sense of resistance points, etc etc on the share price.

You have to be fairly ruthless about taking profits and/or limited losses and rolling into new positions that are further out (if you think there is still more overall direction in the SP left), if you want to make money. If you're more than a few months away from expiration, you can do this with a portion of your position at a time, but I wouldn't try to swing trade in and out completely, because commissions, premiums, and spreads can quickly erode any potential gains. It's better to layer in and out with a rolling position as I've described, and personally I only take one side of the trade on a given stock, but I do intentionally take both long and short positions on different stocks from the same sector, depending on where the general market indices are at, so that I can take profits in down markets as well as up markets.

Ultimately it's very hard to make money...when you were up by 85% it would have been a good time to take profits on 1/3 or half your position, and roll it into something a bit closer to the money once the SP settles down and premiums ease back. You can still do this with new money, but then sell a bigger portion of your original position the next time the SP is hitting upper resistance after a good move higher.

My two cents.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for this DaSchwantz! Very insightful! I would have "liked" it twice, if I could.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic)
    lech31, 3MIKE, bungaboy and 4 others like this.
    01-09-16 04:53 PM
    Thanks for this DaSchwantz! Very insightful! I would have "liked" it twice, if I could.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic)
    I don't know how he did it but bbjdog liked zlatno's post twice!! #94823
    Maybe it was his monkey twin !!
    Or maybe it's just my PRIV!
    ☺☺
    bungaboy, Corbu, zlatno and 2 others like this.
    01-09-16 05:40 PM
    ☺☺
    Mystical powers of bbjdog!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-2-thanks-bbjdog.jpg
    Corbu, 3MIKE, Superfly_FR and 2 others like this.
    01-09-16 06:15 PM
    ☺☺
    Okay! one too many beers, please sit back and I will introduce myself. LMAO

Last edited by bbjdog; 01-09-16 at 08:20 PM.
    bungaboy, Corbu, 3MIKE and 1 others like this.
    01-09-16 06:18 PM
    Mystical powers of bbjdog!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 thanks bbjdog.JPG 
Views:	744 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	387155
    Bungaboy, what are you up too?????? LOL
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-09-16 06:22 PM
    Well if we're doing introductions . . .

3MIKE likes this.
    01-09-16 06:24 PM
    Bungaboy, what are you up too?????? LOL
    No good, as per normal.
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-09-16 06:54 PM
    No good, as per normal.
    Why don't you go fishing with the Leafs? They are trying to catch a Shark. Lol

Go Leafs Go! Also Go Pittsburgh Go!

Cheers!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Shanerredflag, 3MIKE and bungaboy like this.
    01-09-16 07:11 PM
    Why don't you go fishing with the Leafs? They are trying to catch a Shark. Lol

Go Leafs Go! Also Go Pittsburgh Go!

Cheers!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20160109_215426.png

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 08:14 PM
    3MIKE here is my twin and me. Who is better looking?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-finger-monkey-11.jpg
    01-09-16 08:15 PM

Name:	IMG_20160109_215426.png 
Views:	987 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	387163

Posted via CB10
    Update please 7-0, WTF!

Leafs are shark bitten! I am going to start cheering for San Jose Sharks.
    Last edited by bbjdog; 01-09-16 at 08:29 PM.
    01-09-16 08:16 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20160109_225010.png

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 08:59 PM
    3MIKE here is my twin and me. Who is better looking?

Name:	finger-monkey-11.jpg 
Views:	1121 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	387164
    Difficult to say they both look like little angels, they also may be Devils in disguise, but the one on the right seems to be the one who types with his hand out like that!! So I'm sure that's you !

EL CHAPO! Lol
    Last edited by 3MIKE; 01-09-16 at 10:05 PM.
    01-09-16 09:35 PM
    U.S. Says Only Jeeps Had Hacker Vulnerability Via Radios - WSJ

The hackers informed Fiat Chrysler of their findings and detailed them at a cyber conference, triggering the investigation.

But the fear of widespread vulnerability to hackers appears to be unfounded. NHTSA investigators said in documents that similar radios made by Harman International went to Volkswagen, Audi and Bentley, but that those vehicles have safety systems that would stop hackers.

“Based on a thorough review of technical information supplied during the course of this investigation, there does not appear to be a reason to suspect that the infotainment head units Harman supplied to other vehicle manufacturers contain the vulnerabilities identified,” NHTSA said in the documents.

The agency also said Sprint, Fiat Chrysler’s wireless provider, blocked access to a radio communications port that was unintentionally left open. The recall also included software changes that thwarted hackers, the agency said.

“Third party security evaluation and regression testing identified vulnerabilities that were either remedied by Sprint or through updates to the ... Uconnect software,” the agency said.
    01-09-16 09:50 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screenshot_2016-01-09-22-39-27.jpg

So much for the Montreal Canadians also ����
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-09-16 09:53 PM
    Go sens!

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 11:03 PM
    ☺☺
    He REALLY REALLY likes me!!!
    3MIKE and bungaboy like this.
    01-10-16 03:59 AM
    Monkey love! 🙈🙉🙊
    01-10-16 07:57 AM
    Difficult to say they both look like little angels, they also may be Devils in disguise, but the one on the right seems to be the one who types with his hand out like that!! So I'm sure that's you !

EL CHAPO! Lol
    LMAO! One thing you are right about, they are little angels and to good looking to be me. So here is the real me!

Gotta stop posting picture of monkey's, because I am currently having nightmares about them!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-cool_as_a_monkey_by_akujirocks-d32esnc.jpg
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-10-16 08:03 AM
    Okay!! The truth is finally out. Cheers!
    3MIKE likes this.
    01-10-16 08:04 AM
    01-10-16 11:34 AM
113,252 ... 37893790379137923793 ...