View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    You know what they say....if you suc at fishing for real fish....might as well trol* the interwebs. Lol

you've been made privy to my thoughts.
    It would be rare if you suc at both... but what do i know...neither a big fan of fishing and trl*.... Just blackberry. lol....
    01-08-16 12:17 PM
    They waited until now to announce that they will not market a bb10 phone this year. I interpret this as being an indicator of average sales of the Priv. They prefer to wait for next year to see if those sales will ramp up enough to support bb10. So yeah they must be somewhere near the 5 million phones a year mark but not much above.
    But it's backwards . All bad news for Aapl, goes up, but good news for bbry, but we go down

 Priv... cue the comeback! 
    01-08-16 12:28 PM
    Indeed. How about this: announced at MWC and made available around Fall, just like they did for the Priv?
    Sounds really good! But just a tease and nothing major. Lol

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Corbu and bungaboy like this.
    01-08-16 12:29 PM
    No jinx and still bullish !!!!!!

Presented to you by real phone - Passport
    3MIKE, bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-08-16 12:45 PM
    IMO, if priv not doing good (contributing to 5million hand sets combined with bb10, a year) the hard ware division to be killed. But i have heard from the CEO that Priv is doing fine. other wise they would not have produced more for to expand in 31 countries IMO.
    Did Chen really say yesterday they have a reasonable shot at 5M? Does he mean FY2017 or calendar 2016? If he is starting with Q4 then we'd have to think they are on pace for 1.25M per Q and we can guess 600K bb10 stable for enterprise. That's 600K+ high priced privs vs 100K last Q. That's huge for Q4 if true.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 12:47 PM
    But it's backwards . All bad news for Aapl, goes up, but good news for bbry, but we go down

Thank goodness we can count on something during this period of financial uncertainty! *ROTFL*

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 12:48 PM
    Did Chen really say yesterday they have a reasonable shot at 5M? Does he mean FY2017 or calendar 2016? If he is starting with Q4 then we'd have to think they are on pace for 1.25M per Q and we can guess 600K bb10 stable for enterprise. That's 600K+ high priced privs vs 100K last Q. That's huge for Q4 if true.

Posted via CB10
    This may help a bit.

"I personally believe we can actually make money on devices, and I think we're close," Chen says.*

Indeed, while Chen*says the company is still making it a goal to sell 5 million devices a year, his focus is on making money in that business.

"There�s a reasonable shot of getting to 5 million units,� Chen says.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/ces-2...ut-priv-2016-1

Posted Via blackberry passport.
    01-08-16 01:12 PM
    Best wishes to everybody here. The whole stockmarket had a bad start this year. BlackBerry is taking a hit, which is understandable in this market situation. I like the CES news, committing to smart cars is really something. QNX is really one of the crown jewels for BlackBerry.

Commitment to BB10 seemed a little thin, with the PRIV selling like hotcakes . And Chen confirming Android only for 2016. Fortunately BlackBerry is putting the word out that they are still committed to keep BB10 rolling.

On the commitment to BB10:
    http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...mpaign=article

I'll just buy my BlackBerry Classic in blue now...(and that Z30 replacement with Android later ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Ribes Nigrum; 01-08-16 at 02:06 PM.
    01-08-16 01:33 PM
    Well, what a week. Here's a virtual beer for all.... Here's to a MASSIVE rally next week on ground breaking news from all over the world that props markets up to all time highs.
    01-08-16 03:28 PM
    I have a general question for the seasoned investors in this wonderful thread. When does one take profits?

I know is a loaded question, but I'm am particularly interested in a strategy to stay in the trade while making money.

You see I had some $10 Jan 17 long calls that were up 85% and I didn't sell. I really thought BBRY had momentum, tailwind as they say. Nobody saw the China nonsense so that's hard to predict, though it feels BBRY is getting more punished than the rest, but how could I have prevented the complete wipeout of those gains?

Buy puts when RSI above 70? Sell half the position at 85% gain? All of it?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-08-16 03:30 PM
    I have a general question for the seasoned investors in this wonderful thread. When does one take profits?

I know is a loaded question, but I'm am particularly interested in a strategy to stay in the trade while making money.

You see I had some $10 Jan 17 long calls that were up 85% and I didn't sell. I really thought BBRY had momentum, tailwind as they say. Nobody saw the China nonsense so that's hard to predict, though it feels BBRY is getting more punished than the rest, but how could I have prevented the complete wipeout of those gains?

Buy puts when RSI above 70? Sell half the position at 85% gain? All of it?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Sorry man.... This kind of question is different for every person. It all depends on what your risk tolerance is. You have to set a plan and stick with it. That's the only advice I can give. Also, since you're trading options, I'm guessing you're not so new to this so, forgive me for being suspect of your true intentions here.
    Corbu, rarsen, La Emperor and 4 others like this.
    01-08-16 03:52 PM
    I found that 15 minutes prior to high tide on Honolua Bay works....sometimes.

cjcampbell, rarsen, 3MIKE and 2 others like this.
    01-08-16 03:55 PM
    01-08-16 04:53 PM
    Well, what a week. Here's a virtual beer for all.... Here's to a MASSIVE rally next week on ground breaking news from all over the world that props markets up to all time highs.
    On the bright side, at least this news only brought us back down to pre-ER levels...imagine if we didn't have that boost after ER --- we may be sitting back in the 6s...eeek!

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    01-08-16 04:58 PM
    This is a confidence builder. Another update.
    http://rapidmobile.biz/android/apps-...otos-and-more/

Posted Via blackberry passport.
    Corbu, rarsen, 3MIKE and 6 others like this.
    01-08-16 05:10 PM
    On the bright side, at least this news only brought us back down to pre-ER levels...imagine if we didn't have that boost after ER --- we may be sitting back in the 6s...eeek!

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    I'm currently not in BBRY. Was almost ready to pull the trigger but couldn't do it yet. I'll jump on board at $7.50 if we get there. If not, I'll wait for a confirmation of breaking back above $8. lol... till then, beer it is and good music...

3MIKE, morganplus8, W Hoa and 8 others like this.
    01-08-16 05:14 PM
    More on Wells Fargo...

January 8, 2016

Equity Research

Maynard Um

BlackBerry Limited

BBRY: Highlights From Management Meetings

Constructive tone but Street EPS could come down. We believe CEO John Chen�s overall tone was positive with confidence in the ability to hit the $500mn software target and constructive comments on the possibility of achieving profitability in the hardware business � Mr. Chen implicitly lowered the hardware volume needed to achieve profitability, which previously was pegged at 5MM units (now a combination of volume plus cost). The focus is on 3 priorities: 1) building the channel over the next 12 months to further drive the enterprise software business, 2) driving QNX and Internet of Things (IoT) platform, and 3) focus on its device business (announced T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint as additional Priv carriers). That said, we lower our F16E EPS from �$0.27 to �$0.24 and F17E to �$0.16 from �$0.03 due to tax payments vs our prior expectations for tax recoveries and slightly lower software margins (Street: -$0.29/-0.35). We believe Street number would be impacted by tax payments (Street currently embeds tax recoveries) and think there is risk of high end Priv cannibalization by a new midrange Android product. We maintain our Market Perform rating.

Expect at least one new handset but could be cannibalistic. We expect a mid-range Android BlackBerry priced below the Priv. While lower pricing could help elasticity, we believe there is cannibalistic risk to the Priv (ASP impact). Our concern primarily revolves around the hardware business, which is losing money, and the ability to sustain ASP and growth in a market where, besides Apple, few are making profits. Management seems committed to the business (for now) though we think an exit from the handset business, while having a cash flow impact from restructuring, would be highly accretive to earnings.

To be a net payer of taxes; risk to Street estimates. By our estimation, BlackBerry has been a net payer of taxes but has had a series of accounting reversals, tax refunds, and other benefits that have driven tax recoveries over the past number of quarters. Based in our discussion with management, we believe BBRY should be a tax payer going forward in the high single digit millions of dollars whereas the Street is forecasting tax recoveries. We believe this poses some risk to Street estimates.

Recognize revenue on sell-in to carriers and sell-through to distribution. On the good news side, BBRY now recognizes revenue to carriers on a sell-in basis (prior was on a sell-through basis) though still recognizes revenue through distributors and retail on a sell-through basis. This should help revenue given more upfront recognition.

No guidance on sustainable non-GAAP profitability. Management took away its prior guidance of sustainable non-GAAP profitability in FQ4. The company is no longer providing a timeline for this target and we do not expect this to occur in F17 based on our current forecast.

Valuation Range: $8.50 to $9.50
    Our valuation range is based on a sum of the parts (FY2017E). BlackBerry faces several risks including business model transition to software, uncertain hardware demand, lack of strong ecosystem and potential enterprise market share loss.

Investment Thesis:
    We believe BBRY will likely look at strategic options to hardware while growing its software business.
    01-08-16 05:21 PM
    BlackBerry Looks Ahead to 2016 ? Which Is an Achievement in Itself

One of the more surprising – and to many people, nicest – stories of last year was that BlackBerry, under the leadership of CEO John Chen, appeared to have turned a corner. Or, if not quite turned, it has approached the corner in preparation of soon heading in the right direction.

At CES, Chen outlined the plans for next year. They include “just one or two new devices,” according to InformationWeek. Moreover, the new devices, like the Priv, will run Android and come with security and other features from BlackBerry.

There will be Priv moves as well. The story says that the successful phone to date has only been available from AT&T. That will change: Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon will offer the phone at some point during 2016.
    01-08-16 05:29 PM
    OT: Samsung
    Samsung Sees Mild Recovery for Fourth Quarter, but Warns of Tough 2016 - WSJ

In its search for new avenues of growth, the South Korean tech giant aims to learn from Silicon Valley

Samsung Electronics Co.’s estimates for its fourth-quarter performance reflected a mild recovery, but top executives indicated the company is weighing new approaches amid a cooling in global smartphone and semiconductor markets.

In an interview at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Co-Chief Executive B.K. Yoon said Samsung is looking to learn more from Silicon Valley, boosting acquisitions and having its top executives spend more time in the U.S.

“If we only work within ourselves, we can’t really keep up with the speed of change,” Mr. Yoon said Wednesday, pledging the company would seek to strike more deals and work more closely with startups. “With our own efforts, we cannot address everything.”

The South Korean technology giant said this week its operating profit for the quarter ended December likely grew 15% from a year earlier to 6.1 trillion Korean won ($5.1 billion). It estimated revenue was flat at 53 trillion won. Actual results are due at the end of January.

After a nearly two-year slump in earnings, Samsung showed signs of a recovery in the third quarter as the company pared the number of smartphone models it sold and as profit from chip sales hit a record high on robust demand and tight supply.

Even so, Samsung executives are aware of the fragility of the recovery—and of the company’s vulnerability to quickly shifting tides.

“The global economy will continue to see tepid growth while uncertainty will grow in emerging markets,” Kwon Oh-hyun, another Samsung co-chief executive, said in his New Year’s speech to a gathering of 500 employees this past week.

Mr. Kwon said competition will intensify this year for all of Samsung’s main products including smartphones, TVs and memory chips. Buoyant semiconductor prices have cushioned the earnings blow from weak mobile-phone sales.

Samsung’s smartphone business faces continued pressure from Chinese brands as they seek expansion even as the market’s growth slows. Research firm IDC estimated growth in global smartphone shipments slowed to 10% last year from nearly 28% in 2014. The Wall Street Journal reported recently that rival Apple Inc. has cut its order forecasts for iPhone components to suppliers in the past several months, citing people familiar with its supply chain.

“This year’s aim for Samsung will likely be about minimizing the damage from tough business conditions,” said Lee Seung-woo, an analyst with IBK Securities in Seoul.

Samsung’s Mr. Kwon said new business models are reshaping the technology industry around software and relevant platforms, putting less emphasis on hardware and posing a challenge to Samsung to beef up its software capabilities and pursue fresh growth.

At the CES trade show in Las Vegas, Samsung executives touted services that would help it build what it described as an ecosystem of software and services, including a mobile-payment service, Samsung Pay, that it introduced last year, as well as new Internet-connected home appliances.

In a sign of increased emphasis on software, Samsung last month promoted Rhee In-jong, the fast-rising executive who spearheaded the launch of Samsung Pay, to head software development at its mobile unit.

Samsung’s top executives are increasingly talking about learning from Silicon Valley, an attempt to adapt to a fast-changing market by taking a page from nimbler upstarts like SmartThings, a U.S. business it acquired in 2014.

Starting late last year, Messrs. Yoon and Kwon and the company’s third co-CEO, J.K. Shin, have begun spending more time in Silicon Valley.

Mr. Yoon said he now spends about a fifth of his time in the company’s Mountain View, Calif. and Manhattan offices, adding that it has opened his eyes to the rapid changes in the industry.

“If you go to Silicon Valley, you realize change is taking place much faster than we imagine,” he said. As an example of the sort of collaboration Samsung seeks, Mr. Yoon pointed to a new connected refrigerator it unveiled at the trade show on Tuesday.

The “Family Hub” service, which allows consumers to play music, send messages and post photos from a panel on the kitchen fridge, was developed by a seven-person U.S. startup called Sticki, which Samsung nurtured in its San Francisco-based accelerator.

Mr. Yoon also praised Silicon Valley’s “tolerance of failure,” an attribute he said he hopes to foster at Samsung.

He acknowledged that changing the culture at a company as large as Samsung wouldn’t be easy, adding that only a fraction of the company’s employees would ever deal directly with SmartThings, which had 48 people when it was acquired last year. By contrast, Samsung employs 320,000 people in 84 countries.

The purchase of SmartThings, which manages a platform for connecting home appliances to one another, was a rare acquisition for deal-shy Samsung, which tends to develop hardware and software internally.

“We have lots of meetings at a management level, and we learn about how SmartThings works, and we want to have that culture trickle down at Samsung,” Mr. Yoon said.
    01-08-16 05:36 PM
    Recognize revenue on sell-in to carriers and sell-through to distribution. On the good news side, BBRY now recognizes revenue to carriers on a sell-in basis (prior was on a sell-through basis) though still recognizes revenue through distributors and retail on a sell-through basis.
    I missed that one. Interesting split on how revenue is recognized.
    01-08-16 06:02 PM
    I missed that one. Interesting split on how revenue is recognized.
    I see it as good and bad. At least we got the "true" sell through number before. Now, we need to try and figure out what went to carriers, and what went to other channels. Makes the real picture harder to see imo.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 06:13 PM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Anyone know why BBRY is being shredded? All I've heard is good news...

Short sellers pounding the hell out of the stock.. still, iMO... bad timing with China gave them fuel...

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, W Hoa, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    01-08-16 07:12 PM
    OT: The Globe’s stars and dogs for the week

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-apple-dog-week.jpg
    01-08-16 07:41 PM
    We should have been getting support today...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20160108_150008.png

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 07:44 PM
    The Animals weekend music.

01-08-16 07:50 PM
113,256 ... 37873788378937903791 ...