View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Well it's a good thing I know better than to look at the markets on a bloody day during trading hours. Lost a solid 7% off the top today. Oh well, at least I get paid tomorrow so I can buy it all up!

Posted via The BlackBerry Priv!
    3MIKE, bungaboy and Mr BBRY like this.
    01-07-16 10:32 PM
    One things for sure. At least the communist nation had the cajones to actually do something other than close their eyes, plug their ears, and whistle a tune like regulators in certain free nations.

Posted via CB10
    OT - Re regulators...Nobody except Iceland has gone after the core of the problem, which is systematic fraud and corruption in the financial system. The CPC is ground zero of that in China.

And when it comes to intervention, 4 Trillion is a whole lot of 'nothing'. :-)

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the...rts-2014-04-18

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 12:58 AM
    Newbie question: I'm a little confused about the "break circuit" can someone please elaborate. Hope things will be back to normal soon.

#BBFactCheck
    China had a rule (that got lifted yesterday) to shut stock market trading down if the index dropped by 7%. That happened yesterday after the first half hour of trading. These kinds of rules are called 'circuit breakers' (like the ones in a fuse box).

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 01:06 AM
    If I am not wrong this is the same website which was predicting the BBRY survival quotients and now when I see their articles, they are all bullish on BBRY. So should we trust the Blackerry stock or go safe with apple instead.
    01-08-16 04:57 AM
    China had a rule (that got lifted yesterday) to shut stock market trading down if the index dropped by 7%. That happened yesterday after the first half hour of trading. These kinds of rules are called 'circuit breakers' (like the ones in a fuse box).

Posted via CB10
    (if I dare to extend ...)

On the paper, this might seem smart as it will prevent a huge crash, but that's just us, rookies, watching stocks as if they had real-life-like behavior.
    One thing we've learned here (see OP !) is that they don't. At all.
    So, many consider that "break circuit" was (rule lifted yesterday) part of the problem or even the cause of the problem, at least an accelerator.
    [warning : bellow is over-simplification; more a perceived situation than reality]
    Because when fast fall occurs you're stuck with your stocks when it is activated (sometimes as fast as 30min. after the opening) and you may be in the same situation several days in a row, losing 7% every day because you have smaller lots than the big players and you can't instant trade.
    Removing this will maybe make you lose more than 7% but leave you the capacity to take your loss and run.
    Investors hate this both for technical and ideological reasons so they're kind to sell to disengage ... snake biting his tail situation.

P.S: Please correct, no offense
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-08-16 at 06:19 AM.
    3MIKE, bungaboy, Mr BBRY and 2 others like this.
    01-08-16 05:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    Don't we have the circuit breaker as well, the difference is the range, ours is wider? If I remember correctly, it was put in place after Black Monday.
    01-08-16 05:51 AM
    Don't we have the circuit breaker as well, the difference is the range, ours is wider? If I remember correctly, it was put in place after Black Monday.
    If memory serves, I believe it's 20%.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 05:53 AM
    Well, glad to see I was wrong and the fear factor in China. Should be a good day as futures are looking strong...... so far.
    3MIKE, Jahcure, bungaboy and 4 others like this.
    01-08-16 06:01 AM
    Well, glad to see I was wrong and the fear factor in China. Should be a good day as futures are looking strong...... so far.
    Phew...

#BBFactCheck
    01-08-16 06:35 AM
    We took 2 days of severe beating from China. How much recovery can we expect? My guess is a fifth of the total damage. Letting China beat us down is an indication of psychological problem. We are jittery and we see ghost hear boo every time we turn our head.
    01-08-16 06:57 AM
    The US has a trading curb (from wikipedia):

On the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), one type of trading curb is referred to as a "circuit breaker." These limits were put in place after Black Monday in order to reduce market volatility and massive panic sell-offs, giving traders time to reconsider their transactions.

At the start of each quarter, the NYSE sets three circuit breaker levels at levels of 7% (Level 1), 13% (Level 2), and 20% (Level 3) of the average closing price of the S&P 500 for the month preceding the start of the quarter, rounded to the nearest 50-point interval. As of the first quarter of 2014, these levels are 126 points, 234 points, and 360 points respectively.[2] Depending on the point drop that happens and the time of day when it happens, different actions occur automatically: Level 1 and Level 2 declines result in a 15-minute trading halt unless they occur after 3:25pm, when no trading halts apply. A Level 3 decline results in trading being suspended for the remainder of the day.

China messed up in two ways.
    First, there market is understandably much more volatile than the NYSE S&P 500, so a trading curb might not be something they can do. Second, they set their first trigger at 5%. Which causes a time out. Then the halt to trading happens at 7%! So what happened is that when the 5% trigger gets hit and the 15 minute time out happens, the traders know they only have 2% more drop before trading gets locked up for the day. The result seems to be when the 15-minute time out expires, there is tremendous pressure to get OUT before the 7% drop gets hit.
    01-08-16 07:00 AM
    OT follow-up
    Got my coffee shipped today

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-96017.jpg  
    01-08-16 07:01 AM
    ... wondering where the buy-back program is right now ... wouldn't those last two days be a perfect occasion to pile in to the max ? (578,619 shares/day max ? Anyone can see if it happened ?)
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-08-16 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Actual max shares/day updated
    01-08-16 07:35 AM
    I don't think it's a coincidence that we dropped to 8, a lot of Jan calls will be worthless in the next few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if we stay here for a while.
    01-08-16 07:42 AM
    Oh look... economy ain't so bad... dump your gold. lol Good grief.
    01-08-16 07:43 AM
    The US has a trading curb (from wikipedia):
    China messed up in two ways.

First, there market is understandably much more volatile than the NYSE S&P 500, so a trading curb might not be something they can do. Second, they set their first trigger at 5%. Which causes a time out. Then the halt to trading happens at 7%! So what happened is that when the 5% trigger gets hit and the 15 minute time out happens, the traders know they only have 2% more drop before trading gets locked up for the day. The result seems to be when the 15-minute time out expires, there is tremendous pressure to get OUT before the 7% drop gets hit.
    You are touching one of the problems with regard to trading limits but you also need to look at how their market functions too. The Government actually supports the stock market through direct purchases of equities. In North America, we let our currency float and influence the stock market via interest rates changes and bond repurchases. In China, they have two currencies, one for the people, (like Cuba), and one for the rest of the world. The funny thing is, the CDN Dollar has dropped from a $ 1.05/US premium to a $ .71/US discount and no one says a thing about that. The Yuan is up slightly over the same period versus the US Dollar so why are we getting so excited here if the currency is stable?

We clearly don't like them buying up stock in a market that has millions of new investors buying into it every year. Our markets are mature, we don't see new investors coming into our markets at all, but in China, they have millions flocking into the stock market post the real estate boom.

Please read:

"Goldman Sachs estimated in September that the government had spent Rmb1.5tn ($234bn) to support the stock market in July and August, when the main index fell by as much as 45 per cent from its mid-June high. The “national team” owned at least 6 per cent of tradeable market capitalization in the Shanghai and Shenzhen exchanges at the end of the third quarter.

Additional reporting by Ma Nan and Roger Blitz "

Can you imagine if our Government bought up 6% of our stock market value. They spend roughly $ 100 BN a month supporting the stock market and need the lower currency to help spur the economy and keep the rally alive. So when the stock market corrects, it corrects hard because 81% of the investor makeup are investors who ride bicycles to work every day. Now keep in mind that all of the growth in China occurs within the population size of California so you can liken this to the housing bubble in that state. If interest rates doubled in the US, the economy would collapse. Everyone has a vested interest in keeping interest rates down, the US demanded years ago that China allow its currency to strengthen so that jobs would flow back to the US. The Chinese will have no part of that because they see Canada and others benefit from a weak dollar and no one gives a **** about that.

Finally, it doesn't really matter that they lock in stock markets in China when their biggest and most mature stocks trade in many countries now. What matters is whether they can balance stock purchases, currency declines and shift their country away from manufacturing towards a service industry. They have $ 3.3 Trillion Dollars to make the transition and their burn rate is roughly $ 100 BN per month so the clock is ticking away here. We made a big deal about nothing here, China told us they wanted a lower currency and everyone understands their stock market and how it functions. There was no surprise there but the media likes to point the finger at anyone but their own so we bashed China. China needs to study how Canada can get its currency to drop into the toilet and not stir things up with the rest of the world! Enough about that!
    01-08-16 07:50 AM
    I don't think it's a coincidence that we dropped to 8, a lot of Jan calls will be worthless in the next few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if we stay here for a while.
    We have big support at the 50-dma which is currently at $ 7.99//shr and climbing, we just need to get above the 20-dma and the 200-dma to resume our rally, and with today's pop, we might just do that. The 200-dma is at $ 8.30 and the 20-dma is at $ 8.55/shr on a closing basis yesterday. That's not much of a hurdle given the decline and our general market pop today. Today's rally needs to hold, we are grossly over sold right now so $ 8.00 shouldn't be a problem in the very near term! We'll see.
    BThunderW, Corbu, 3MIKE and 9 others like this.
    01-08-16 07:55 AM
    I hope you are right of course, I bought some March $9 calls at this level so the sooner I can flip them the better
    01-08-16 07:58 AM
    OT: China
    The Man Behind China?s Circuit Breaker Gets Grilled - WSJ

At an emergency meeting convened by China�s cabinet Thursday, the country�s top securities regulator, Xiao Gang, was in the hot seat.

The meeting, in the walled Zhongnanhai compound where China�s top leaders live and where few ordinary Chinese have ever set foot, Mr. Xiao was being grilled on an invention he had championed, a circuit-breaker to prevent a free fall in Chinese stocks and protect investors, according to people with knowledge of the gathering.

Ironically, the opposite had just happened. The automated trading halt had made a selloff worse as investors raced for the exits when it looked set to kick in. Trading on the Shanghai Stock Exchange lasted only 29 minutes Thursday, the shortest day in the stock market�s 25 years.

Now China�s top economic decision makers wanted to discuss what had caused the worst-ever start to a year for Chinese stocks and hammered markets from Asia to Europe to the Americas.

Mr. Xiao, chairman of the China Securities Regulatory Commission, laid out the rationale for the circuit-breaker system. But senior officials decided that only four days after its introduction, the mechanism must be suspended.

The fiasco marks another black eye for the top securities cop, who had already been blamed by investors and officials for perceived policy missteps that contributed to a summer stock-market crisis, the last time China�s spiraling stock markets pummeled the world�s financial system.

�Xiao is under tremendous pressure,� said an official at the China Securities Regulatory Commission. �Unlike in the summer, when he might have been unfairly criticized for the stock selloff, the latest big drop was a direct result of a system he had insisted on putting in place.�

Mr. Xiao couldn�t be reached for comment. On Friday, a spokesman at the securities watchdog said Mr. Xiao has taken on an added role at the agency as head of its newly formed �poverty assistance� group�in an apparent attempt to dismiss private speculation about him being replaced as chairman of the agency.

The securities watchdog is part of China�s government apparatus and Mr. Xiao answers to the Communist Party leadership. But he has had some autonomy on how to foster the development of the country�s capital markets� a job that has gained importance as President Xi Jinping turned to the stock market as a way to recapitalize state-owned Chinese companies burdened by debt after a massive stimulus plan.

In early 2015, Mr. Xiao joined a chorus of officials talking up a stock rally that had started in late 2014 as a resounding cheer for Beijing�s policies to put the economy on sounder footing.

That strategy soon backfired. Investors who had borrowed heavily to buy stocks started selling in mid-June and Mr. Xiao took heat for failing to effectively rein in such loans. As the plunge gained force, he was part of clumsy efforts to prop stocks back up.

But many say Mr. Xiao, 56 years old, was only a tool in the leadership�s intentions.

"Xiao Gang may have made plenty of mistakes, but he does not deserve most of the blame. Those who gave him instructions to push the market up in 2014 and rescue it in 2015 are most responsible,� said Scott Kennedy, a deputy director at Center for Strategic & International Studies, a Washington think tank.

This time around, however, many hold Mr. Xiao directly responsible for the heavy selloff that erased $1.1 trillion in the value of Chinese equities in less than a week.

�The circuit-breaker system installed by him just didn�t work,� says Peng Junming, a former official at China�s central bank and now chief investment officer at Empire Capital Management LLP, an investment firm in Beijing. �It�s a big policy mistake.�

The short-lived system was about three years in the making. Soon after becoming chairman of the securities watchdog in 2013, Mr. Xiao was struck by how fast a trading error made by a Shanghai-based brokerage roiled China�s markets. Since then, he has sought to establish a trip-wire mechanism similar to the one in the U.S. He mentioned the need for such a mechanism on many public occasions, earning him the nickname �Mr. Circuit Breaker� in Chinese media.

The summer stock crisis spurred Mr. Xiao to step up the push for tools to contain panic selling. In September, he instructed his agency to put together a plan for circuit breakers, according to officials at the commission.

But Mr. Xiao�s proposal was seen as unpractical by many analysts and investors. One issue was its quick-draw setting, halting trading for 15 minutes after a 5% swing and for the rest of the trading day if the move reached 7%.

In the U.S., with a much less volatile stock market than China�s, the threshold for a trading halt is much higher�20%. And experts debate whether circuit breakers are effective against market volatility in the first place.

Even officials at China�s stock exchanges cast doubt over the plan. A report submitted to the regulator late last year by the Shenzhen Stock Exchange, reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, said the threshold was too low in a market dominated by some 99 million individual investors.

Mr. Xiao persisted, convinced of the mechanism�s value in another market crisis. Instead, as trading started for the year, it helped set one off. As it shut down trading for two of its first four days, it eliminated the chance markets might have recovered on their own and locked in investors� losses.

In announcing the circuit breaker�s suspension late Thursday, the securities regulator acknowledged that the mechanism hadn�t work out as planned and had instead exacerbated stock losses. It pledged to learn from the experience.
    01-08-16 08:03 AM
    Finally, it doesn't really matter that they lock in stock markets in China when their biggest and most mature stocks trade in many countries now. What matters is whether they can balance stock purchases, currency declines and shift their country away from manufacturing towards a service industry. They have $ 3.3 Trillion Dollars to make the transition and their burn rate is roughly $ 100 BN per month so the clock is ticking away here. We made a big deal about nothing here, China told us they wanted a lower currency and everyone understands their stock market and how it functions. There was no surprise there but the media likes to point the finger at anyone but their own so we bashed China. China needs to study how Canada can get its currency to drop into the toilet and not stir things up with the rest of the world! Enough about that!
    Thank you, Professor Morgan! I think that one post helped me to understand things better than entire college semesters back in my day. Not to mention the constant wealth of information you post in this thread (as well as some other seasoned vets in here). The "Thanks" button is still broken, so let this post account for the 483 other "Thanks" I owe you. We are all privileged to learn from you.
    Corbu, La Emperor, 3MIKE and 5 others like this.
    01-08-16 08:19 AM
    Wow what a hectic few weeks we've had! I haven't had a chance to comment much, as I've been studying for the Life, Accident and Health insurance exam, which I'm scheduled to take tomorrow morning. *wish me luck*

I hope everyone is off to a good new year (besides investments) and I hope you all enjoyed the holiday season! I think I'll be picking up some BlackBerry shares today if they are still dirt cheap after the sell off. I received clearance yesterday from my firm to place an order, so we'll see how the markets look today!

Take care all!

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    cjcampbell, Mr BBRY, Corbu and 7 others like this.
    01-08-16 08:19 AM
    Zv js

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 08:29 AM
    01-08-16 08:51 AM
    So it looks like this thread's circuit breakers kicked in to stop a free fall from happening. Phew... that was a rare scare
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-08-16 10:11 AM
    So it looks like this thread's circuit breakers kicked in to stop a free fall from happening. Phew... that was a rare scare
    On the rare occasion, events can be self inflicted and not circuit breaker related.
    01-08-16 10:20 AM
113,251 ... 37853786378737883789 ...