View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I realize Cramer is pretty reviled around here but he was pretty positive about bbry tonight called it a buy, states limited downside wants CEO to come on the show.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks and are you Cramer himself or sent from him to pass us a message and admitted he had been wrong all along?

Presented to you by real phone - Passport
    01-04-16 09:35 PM
    Found this on STOCKTWITS tonight.

Nice
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-19661.jpg  
    01-04-16 09:57 PM
    Cramer is kind of like a weather vain. (Lol)

you've been made privy to my thoughts.
    01-04-16 09:59 PM
    Yes ...misspellings on purpose. Bhahha

3MIKE, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    01-04-16 10:01 PM
    Had an ML...sold in the fall....crappie begins to describe the UI (sad face)

The UI of the 2015 C class console and infotainment head unit not very good either.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 10:21 PM
    Sorry - Double post...

But here's my thought for the day.

If QNX can now already run the SDL version of Spotify, how long before BB10 phones can run that same SDL version of Spotify without needing a bb10 version? And where is the SDL app store located?

Posted via CB10
    Probably never. I heart Radio, aha, and a few other streaming radio providers had QNX versions on Harmon International's radio / infotainment offerings back in 2013. None of them ever made their way to BB10. Now that QNX supports qt5.x and BB10 is stuck on qt4.x, it's almost guaranteed they will never be ported.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 10:26 PM
    I'm surprised no one seems to have licensed QNX car2? I guess they want to build their own UIs.
    I suspect that until Ford, most auto makers got their QNX from Tier1 auto suppliers like Harmon. QNX worked with the Tier 1s on their offerings. Didn't JC mention that BlackBerry was working directly with Ford and Audi? If so, they may be the first two on Car2?

Again, speculation on my part.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 10:37 PM
    The UI of the 2015 C class console and infotainment head unit not very good either.

Posted via CB10
    That's mine. It's not bad. It could just be a lot better if there were actual apps for the thing in Canada. And if I could get real time traffic overlay without sirius ...ideally google maps and traffic overlay via the internet tether.
    01-04-16 11:32 PM
    Guys, leave Cramer alone now and please avoid rude words, thanks !
    [WARN]Inappropriate Language:
    Mobile Nations is a network used by people of all ages, so please keep posts, usernames, images and links family appropriate. Creative misspelling of profanity to circumvent the filters in place to block variations of profanity will not be tolerated. Moderators may delete or edit posts at their discretion, if posts are deemed inappropriate or offensive. Users will be typically be given a warning for the first violation. Continued violations will result in a ban from the forum.
    [/WARN]
    01-05-16 03:30 AM
    This from an article almost two years ago. It seems we're finally getting some traction.

Rest assured QNX will stick around and even thrive. Why? QNX is the Switzerland that the auto industry needs to preserve margins, deliver value added services, customize the experience and keep smartphone players from dominating.

If that Switzerland role can be cultivated in other verticals such as appliances (where Android wants to be everywhere) and medical devices, QNX may indeed be BlackBerry's crown jewel.
    BlackBerry's QNX: Why it's so valuable to Apple, Google, auto industry | ZDNet
    3MIKE, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 3 others like this.
    01-05-16 04:34 AM
    http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/89095...cahpmg00000004

The highest paid CEO in the study was Blackberry's John Chen, who raked in $89.7 million in total compensation.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 07:25 AM
    Slightly OT: BBM related...
    The Future of Mobile Chatting: Commerce - WSJ

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bn-ly573_messag_m_20160104161500.jpg

Facebook, others strive to copy China’s WeChat success in linking messaging apps to shopping, services

In 2011, Chinese Internet giant Tencent Holdings Ltd. launched a smartphone app so people could send each other free text messages. Five years later, WeChat’s hundreds of millions of users in China tap the service to send money to friends, buy shoes and even book doctors’ appointments.

The evolution shows how for growing numbers of smartphone users, once-simple messaging apps have become the center of their online activity, in some cases eclipsing social-media portals such as Facebook.

The phenomenon is most pronounced in Asia, but advancing in the U.S. and elsewhere. Uber Technologies Inc. said last month it would let users hail rides through Facebook Inc.’s Messenger app, a texting service akin to WeChat. Alphabet Inc.’s Google is developing a new chat app that will tap artificial intelligence. Ephemeral chat app Snapchat Inc. is incorporating news, while startup Slack Technologies Inc. has pioneered the chat platform as the center of workplace communication and collaboration, often displacing email at small and medium-size businesses.

“There is no other technology that is more closely examined and discussed in Silicon Valley than messaging,” says Jenny Lee, a managing partner at GGV Capital.

Analysts say messaging apps are ideal hubs for other services because they are simple to use and have large numbers of users who spend a lot of time with them. Facebook—which apart from Messenger owns WhatsApp, the largest chat-based service in the world with 900 million users—says it is closely studying WeChat and other apps, seeking to create a similar ecosystem. But it won’t be simple for Facebook or others to copy WeChat’s success.

Today, about 2.5 billion people are registered to use at least one messaging app, according to advisory firm Activate. By 2018, the firm expects that number to be 3.6 billion, 90% of the world’s Internet-enabled population.

In China, it is hard to find a smartphone owner in major cities who doesn’t use WeChat; in professional circles, people often trade WeChat usernames rather than business cards.

WeChat’s rise coincided with the expansion of China’s middle class; for many consumers, the app was their introduction to the Internet. WeChat and other messaging apps initially won users looking to avoid texting costs that are 26 times higher in China than in the U.S., according to Activate. But they quickly branched into other areas. Soon after launching, WeChat added a walkie-talkie-type feature allowing users to send audio messages. It introduced a feature called “Drift Bottle,” where users throw a virtual bottle out to “sea” and connect with the user who picks it up.

In 2013, WeChat included a payment function, part of an effort by parent Tencent to challenge rival Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.’s Alipay affiliate. Once it could handle payments, WeChat moved to integrate other companies’ services like taxi-hailing and restaurant booking.

“It’s a gateway to many things: to entertainment, to other information,” says Shen Haoyu, chief executive of JD Mall, the shopping site of Chinese e-tailer JD.com Inc. Tencent owns a minority stake in JD.com in a deal that also allows WeChat users to shop on JD.com in the chat app.

One of WeChat’s most popular features is a virtual envelope stuffed with cash that users can send to one another—the online version of a Chinese “red envelope” tradition of exchanging money during the Lunar New Year holiday. WeChat introduced the hongbao (red envelope) feature during the 2014 Lunar New Year, but people now use it throughout the year.

China’s WeChat, known as a cross between WhatsApp and Facebook, aims to be part of every aspect of your daily life. WSJ’s Menglin Huang explains how it works. (9/16/2014)

Lin Cui-Lu, a 27-year-old employee at a startup in Shenzhen, recently sent a WeChat hongbao containing 12 yuan ($1.85) to a colleague who brought her lunch from a nearby KFC restaurant. Ms. Lin says she sends several WeChat red envelopes a week and on friends’ birthdays. Ms. Lin says she also uses WeChat to pay for meals, buy movie tickets and hail taxis.

“I use WeChat more often than any other app,” she says.

Messaging apps aren’t as deeply rooted in countries such as the U.S., where texting is cheap. “There’s no great example in the West,” says Ted Livingston, chief executive of Canada’s Kik Messenger Inc., which introduced a texting app in 2009.

Two years later, Kik allowed outsiders to attach their own apps to the service. But users didn’t download the apps and developers lost interest in building them. In August, Tencent invested $50 million in Kik to bolster the service.

Facebook has doubled down on messaging apps. In 2014, it snapped up WhatsApp for $22 billion. Then, it boosted Messenger’s prominence by requiring users to download the app to send Facebook messages on mobile phones.

In March, Facebook unveiled about 40 photo- and video-editing apps tailored for Messenger. Today, more than 700 apps are plugged into Messenger, although only about 70 are featured in the app and visible to users.

David Marcus, a former PayPal executive who runs Messenger, says his team is studying how companies can keep in touch with customers over chat without being intrusive. But many Americans remain unfamiliar with messaging as anything other than a way to chat with friends or family in real time. The social network says e-commerce companies Everlane and Zulily would start using Messenger for customer service. In early 2016, Dutch airline KLM plans to offer booking confirmations and boarding passes over the app.

Hyatt Hotels Group guests can ask for fresh towels or housekeeping over Messenger. But some curious users test the feature by sending messages that simply read “Hi,” says Dan Moriarty, Hyatt’s director of digital strategy and activation. Hyatt doesn’t see this behavior on other platforms, including WeChat.
    01-05-16 07:30 AM
    That's it! AT&T exclusivity is officially over!
    Now let's hear some announcements...
    01-05-16 07:32 AM
    The highest paid CEO in the study was Blackberry's John Chen, who raked in $89.7 million in total compensation.
    I believe this is closer to the truth: Chen’s total compensation fell to $3.4 million U.S. in fiscal 2015, according to papers BlackBerry filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission he also has 13MM shares of BBRY which vest over 5yrs.
    Last edited by W Hoa; 01-05-16 at 08:41 AM.
    01-05-16 08:00 AM
    Thanks for the updates guys. It's nice to be able to come here and get all caught up on all things BBRY and BB.

I was busy picking icewine today, so wasn't able to check in during the day, but this thread is the best at getting back up to speed.

I can't wait for some more great BlackBerry news from CES tomorrow.CES....another year and another show I'm going to miss. Maybe that would be a good time and place for the $100 party!

Posted via CB10
    OT Re ice wine - Nice freeze, finally...will it be a good year or is it too late?

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 09:03 AM
    Probably never. I heart Radio, aha, and a few other streaming radio providers had QNX versions on Harmon International's radio / infotainment offerings back in 2013. None of them ever made their way to BB10. Now that QNX supports qt5.x and BB10 is stuck on qt4.x, it's almost guaranteed they will never be ported.

Posted via CB10
    Well, Toyota just threw down the idea yesterday that SDL versions for cars are going to become a new NONA (not controlled by Apple /Alphabet) standard. I know it's not possible for bb10 right now, but how do we know that bb10 isn't going to support qt5.x once the hardware division becomes profitable? Chen has said this will happen in the next quarter or two, and they will either have to properly support bb10 or ditch it completely. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I think it's going to be the former, and there will be some surprises on the way.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 09:19 AM
    Today's chart presentation ;

I'm representing my "chairs" moving up the chart !!
    The only head and shoulders pattern I see are sitting in the chairs in front of me

It's Berry cold out here but BBRY is keeping things nice and warm!

-24 C

Sorry for the crappy PRIV pictures!
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20160105_1104517.jpg  
    01-05-16 10:42 AM
    OT: PSDV anyone one why it's down so much? I was looking to get back in on a dip...looks like a good entry at 4.4x

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 10:46 AM
    01-05-16 12:32 PM
    Tsssk-Tsssk ...
    Have a great evening gang, sorry under a heavy load of work today ...
    CU 2morrow.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    Well, let's say that's not that bad ATM. C'mon guys you know this BBRY is a winner ... you don't need to test it daily

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    01-05-16 12:34 PM
    Today's chart presentation ;

I'm representing my "chairs" moving up the chart !!
    The only head and shoulders pattern I see are sitting in the chairs in front of me

It's Berry cold out here but BBRY is keeping things nice and warm!

-24 C

Sorry for the crappy PRIV pictures!
    where's that ?
    01-05-16 01:02 PM
    Well, Toyota just threw down the idea yesterday that SDL versions for cars are going to become a new NONA (not controlled by Apple /Alphabet) standard. I know it's not possible for bb10 right now, but how do we know that bb10 isn't going to support qt5.x once the hardware division becomes profitable? Chen has said this will happen in the next quarter or two, and they will either have to properly support bb10 or ditch it completely. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I think it's going to be the former, and there will be some surprises on the way.

Posted via CB10
    Believe me, I'm with you hoping that BlackBerry starts supporting BB10 properly. I'm completely uninterested in the Priv.

BTW, hardware profits will have to be spectacular because updating BB10 will be expensive...
    1) JC mentioned Qualcomm drivers for new hardware would be expensive
    2) recertification costs with all the governments/testing agencies will need to be redone.
    3) rumors were that BlackBerry had many hacks to qt4 to get Cascades to work. Therefore, we're BlackBerry to move to qt5, Cascades would need to be updated, reworked to be functionally equivalent for features they want to keep, and then add new features. This would probably break all existing native apps, or slow them all down with compatability code.
    4) still have to get carriers to care and offer to SELL BB10 phones.

Even if the Priv sold in iPhone-quantities JC would be emboldened to make more Android phones, not BB10 phones.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 01:34 PM
    Not trying to be negative about BBRY, but I think we're going to close below $9.

 Priv... cue the comeback! 
    01-05-16 02:08 PM
    Believe me, I'm with you hoping that BlackBerry starts supporting BB10 properly. I'm completely uninterested in the Priv.

BTW, hardware profits will have to be spectacular because updating BB10 will be expensive...
    1) JC mentioned Qualcomm drivers for new hardware would be expensive
    2) recertification costs with all the governments/testing agencies will need to be redone.
    3) rumors were that BlackBerry had many hacks to qt4 to get Cascades to work. Therefore, we're BlackBerry to move to qt5, Cascades would need to be updated, reworked to be functionally equivalent for features they want to keep, and then add new features. This would probably break all existing native apps, or slow them all down with compatability code.
    4) still have to get carriers to care and offer to SELL BB10 phones.

Even if the Priv sold in iPhone-quantities JC would be emboldened to make more Android phones, not BB10 phones.

Posted via CB10
    Those are all good points, but ultimately are functions of volume and price for the bb10 models. I've listed a couple of ways that may help address the issues you've raised.

1) Switch to Samsung chips (we know they've already got a deal with Priv) if drivers are cheaper.

2) Certification costs are necessary, but could be absorbed through higher priced phone mix for enterprise.

3) it's speculative to say how much moving to qt5 would affect things. They still have some of the best software engineers so hopefully they could make it work smoothly

4) Get the carriers on board with the Android models, and if they want to carry the bb10 versions, then those as well, but otherwise use the existing direct online model with monthly bb10 updates also pushed out. Sales of the bb10 versions of phones can piggyback on the carrier marketing for the android versions (i.e. A bb10 Priv could be an option via BlackBerry directly vs the default Android Priv in store)

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, Mr BBRY, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    01-05-16 02:28 PM
    01-05-16 02:49 PM
113,256 ... 37783779378037813782 ...