View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    One time 220m upfront IP licensing fee in this quarter revs. Which then becomes partially recurring during FY2018.
    That's a big hole to fill.
    Remove that from revs and look again.

Device sales were 700k with ASP of 315.
    Which means some stubborn governments bought a lot (couple hundred k) of Calssics/Passport devices for some reason this quarter. Not many Privs in there for first month. Maybe 50-100k. Not likely going up. S6 is now about $300 in US vs $700 Priv. New phones coming in a few months.
    Remove the odd buys from devices and look again.

As for core.
    BES12 went from 30m to about 25m.
    New adds slowed from previous quarter by about 20%.

Good.
    QNX is looking up.
    Software is looking slightly brighter.
    I believe they said $53m in IP deals this quarter? Can you link me to where you got the $220m number?

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    12-18-15 10:08 AM
    Right at a big level of resistance. If we can break through, this will push us into that sideways channel I mentioned a few weeks ago.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by cjcampbell; 12-18-15 at 10:28 AM.
    sidhuk, bungaboy, Mr BBRY and 5 others like this.
    12-18-15 10:11 AM
    I am very calm. But are we not waiting this for so long? This is only a start. Once device business is break-even, all the software income are cash cow. And then what would be the reason a best and secure Android device not sell in bunches?

Presented to you by real phone - Passport
    12-18-15 10:11 AM
    Like this screen shot. Dow Drops triple digits, 2nd straight day.
    Blackberry not bad so for.........

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151218_101112.png

Posted Via blackberry passport.
    12-18-15 10:12 AM
    One time 220m upfront IP licensing fee in this quarter revs. Which then becomes partially recurring during FY2018.
    That's a big hole to fill.
    Remove that from revs and look again.

Device sales were 700k with ASP of 315.
    Which means some stubborn governments bought a lot (couple hundred k) of Calssics/Passport devices for some reason this quarter. Not many Privs in there for first month. Maybe 50-100k. Not likely going up. S6 is now about $300 in US vs $700 Priv. New phones coming in a few months.
    Remove the odd buys from devices and look again.

As for core.
    BES12 went from 30m to about 25m.
    New adds slowed from previous quarter by about 20%.

Good.
    QNX is looking up.
    Software is looking slightly brighter.
    Some stubborn governments bought a lot of classics/passports. I like the sound of that
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-18-15 10:13 AM
    Analysts are talking negatively about AAPL but positively about BBRY...
    Something is up. They never do that.

'it all started with the  Priv...'
    12-18-15 10:14 AM
    I believe they said $53m in IP deals this quarter? Can you link me to where you got the $220m number?

Posted via CB10
    Some newbie got added to my ignore list.....privileged as that happens maybe once every two years
    bungaboy, Corbu, Mr BBRY and 3 others like this.
    12-18-15 10:14 AM
    Testing $8.60 as support now? bounce and fly....come on.

Double bounced down from $8.60 on the way up....now need a double bounce up...hoooooolllld.
    12-18-15 10:16 AM
    Gotta bring the oxygen: we are climbing!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-15 10:20 AM
    Some newbie got added to my ignore list.....privileged as that happens maybe once every two years
    You just made me smile. lol
    And as for BlackBerry, I am trying to make a list of reasons, what if I am short ? Why would I short BlackBerry under $10? Or. Under $11? Unless I am a day trader.
    FY18 is 5 quarters away? ANDROID phone with security and dual keyboard with monthly updates?
    The rest of the businesses that BlackBerry has etc.?

Posted Via blackberry passport.
    Corbu, bungaboy, Mr BBRY and 5 others like this.
    12-18-15 10:20 AM
    G&F:
    BlackBerry shares rally as earnings beat expectations - The Globe and Mail

BlackBerry�s transformation into a software-first company picked up speed in the third quarter as growth beat analyst projections with a smaller loss than had been expected.

BlackBerry reported a non-GAAP net loss $15-million (U.S.), about 3 cents per share. Shares were up about 8 per cent in Toronto at 9 a.m. to $11.75.

Despite a generally positive quarter with $557-million in revenue, ahead of an expected $488.8-million, in the early press release and chief executive officer John Chen�s initial investor summary the company couldn�t bring itself to deliver the bad news on hardware. BlackBerry sold just 700,000 handsets despite the launch of the new premium priced Android-powered Priv slider phone. Unpacking those details was left to chief financial officer James Yersh to deliver in the technical breakdown.

In the second quarter BlackBerry handset sales slid to 800,000 units, and the total BlackBerry ecosystem fell to 30 million users worldwide. BlackBerry at that time the average selling price was approximately $240. In the third quarter ASP rose to $315 thanks to sales of the Priv, which sells for about $800 with no contract in Canada. Hardware was about 40 per cent of revenues, which makes it about $222.8-million in the quarter, flat as a share of revenue compared to the second quarter.

The third quarter only included about the weeks of Priv sales, and Mr. Chen emphasized that the first 60 days of U.S. sales were limited by a carrier exclusive deal with AT&T, and it won�t be until February before the phone is in 31 countries. Still, analysts led the investor Q&A with questions about why BlackBerry remains in the hardware business at all with these kind of numbers.

�My first goal is to get devices in break-even. Maybe this quarter, maybe a quarter later,� Mr. Chen told analysts during an investor call. �I have been very vocal, if I cannot get there I will not keep taking my investors through that. At this moment in time I�m looking at getting to break even and begin adding value.�

BlackBerry hasn�t been a serious force in hardware since 2012, when it sold about 7 million phones a quarter, which was already a decline from its peak in 2011 when its worst quarter was 11.8 million devices. According to analysts at IDC, the third quarter of 2015 saw newer players like TCL Communication, ZTE and OPPO grab about 3 per cent of the smartphone market each with sales between 12 and 17 million units.

Software sales were up significantly to $162-million, an increase of 183 per cent. Mr. Chen said organic growth in BES12 and QNX business was up by 43 per cent, and confirmed that about 20 per cent of the revenue growth came from the Good Technology and AtHoc acquisitions, which closed late in the quarter.

In the first half of the fiscal year about $210-million in software revenue was realized, and the third quarter puts Mr. Chen on a path to meet his goal of $500-milllion in software revenue for the fiscal year. How much of that total goal will be met by one-time licensing deals remains to be seen.

Mr. Yersh reported 70 per cent of the software revenues were recurring, which puts non-recurring IP licensing fees somewhere below $50-million for the quarter. One of those deals signed this quarter also has a recurring component, that will kick in in fiscal year 2018 and last for 10 years.

Mr. Chen was also eager to point out this quarter was also the first time that the declining service access fee business was offset by growth in the rest of the companies software operations. Cash from the fees, collected from legacy BB7 devices, fell by 18 per cent, faster than the 15 per cent projection, but still made up 31 per cent of total revenue.
    12-18-15 10:22 AM
    LoL. Atta Go!
    Mr BBRY and sidhuk like this.
    12-18-15 10:24 AM
    12-18-15 10:31 AM
    This:
    BlackBerry Pushes Into Self-Driving Cars as Phone Shipments Drop - Bloomberg Business

BlackBerry Ltd. is getting into self-driving cars.

The Canadian software and smartphone company will showcase new advances being made by its infotainment unit at the Computer Electronics Show, a premier gathering of the tech world in January in Las Vegas, Chief Executive Officer John Chen said Friday.

“You’re going to see our advanced driver-assist technologies and solutions,” Chen said on a conference call with analysts to discuss earnings results.

BlackBerry, is already involved with the auto industry through its QNX unit, which makes infotainment systems used in millions of vehicles. The Waterloo-based company said earlier this week it was partnering with Luxoft Holding Inc. to work on semi-autonomous driving technology like that used by Tesla Motors Inc.’s cars.

The QNX software is already used by manufacturers like Ford Motor Co. to power in-car entertainment systems. Chen, who has shifted BlackBerry’s focus to security software as its smartphone business shrinks, has spoken often about the importance of securing vehicle software as computers take over more functions in cars.

Carmakers have begun incorporating semi-autonomous features in cars like the ability to stay in a lane during turns or sense when the vehicle ahead is stopping and apply the brakes without input from the driver. Zug, Switzerland-based Luxoft will marry its computer vision and object-tracking technology with QNX’s operating system, according to the statement earlier this week.

BlackBerry reported a narrower third-quarter loss than analysts estimated as software revenue gained, but the number of phones it shipped in the quarter fell to 700,000 from 800,000 in the previous quarter.
    Plus the fact JC just had a very interesting answer to a question dealing with this subject on Bloomberg. Basically, he would look very favourably to working with Google, Tesla, etc.
    12-18-15 10:42 AM
    Making another run at the high. Needs some volume from the buyers though.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-15 10:48 AM
    Hey everyone, long time lurker here.

If they sold 700,000 total devices this quarter at $315 ASP, 800,000 last quarter at $240 ASP. I am sure we can derive how many Privs were sold during the quarter to have increased the ASP by 31%. Taking into account a small percentage of capitalization of BB10.

Any mathematicians willing to take a stab at it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-18-15 10:49 AM
    Cash from the fees, collected from legacy BB7 devices, fell by 18 per cent, faster than the 15 per cent projection, but still made up 31 per cent of total revenue.
    This is a bit surprising. SAF from legacy devices still made up 31 per cent of total revenue.
    12-18-15 10:59 AM
    12-18-15 11:05 AM
    This is a bit surprising. SAF from legacy devices still made up 31 per cent of total revenue.
    Africa and Middle East and Governments?

Edit:

(And Cape Bretoner's)
    Corbu, sidhuk, Mr BBRY and 4 others like this.
    12-18-15 11:05 AM
    AMBER!! Yum.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-15 11:19 AM
    12-18-15 11:24 AM
    AMBER!! Yum.

Posted via CB10
    Did you just send out an AMBER alert?
    12-18-15 11:25 AM
    Hey everyone, long time lurker here.

If they sold 700,000 total devices this quarter at $315 ASP, 800,000 last quarter at $240 ASP. I am sure we can derive how many Privs were sold during the quarter to have increased the ASP by 31%. Taking into account a small percentage of capitalization of BB10.

Any mathematicians willing to take a stab at it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I don't think we can because this last quarter probably also saw changing percentages of high cost items like Passport and Classic. And the selling price probably changes from quarter to quarter on each handset depending on deals BBRY cuts to the carriers.

But we can safely say that selling price will rise again in next quarter with Priv having greater availability to more countries and carriers, not to mention just more time.
    morganplus8, rarsen, W Hoa and 6 others like this.
    12-18-15 11:33 AM
    AMBER!! Yum.

Posted via CB10
    C is about 2 keys down and 2 keys to the left on the keyboard from the letter Y. in case you misspelled?
    12-18-15 11:33 AM
    C is about 2 keys down and 2 keys to the left on the keyboard from the letter Y. in case you misspelled?
    ROFLMAO. Thanks for the (stress) release (pun intended). Good laugh!
    12-18-15 11:37 AM
113,256 ... 37453746374737483749 ...