View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Exciting times!
    Since Chen mentioned that a range of products was somewhat contingent on the Priv's success, is it possible it really is selling that well?

One can dream and hope, but we all know the future is software and a successful hardware division would be a nice perk

Posted via CB10
    I heard it's targeted for low end market.

PassportSQW100-1/Lollipop.5.1.1.BB
    bungaboy, sidhuk and Mr BBRY like this.
    11-11-15 08:23 PM
    I heard it's targeted for low end market.

PassportSQW100-1/Lollipop.5.1.1.BB
    That makes sense. Low end android meaning market share. Chen has said in the past that he wants market share. Right move for sure. And the key board is the king. Although blackjack touchscreen keyboard is very under rated.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    11-11-15 08:31 PM
    The next Android device should copy the Passport design. That would create a lot of waves. Differentiation is the name of the game in Android. You can't produce just another slab to make sales if you're Blackberry.
    CDM76 likes this.
    11-11-15 08:36 PM
    The next Android device should copy the Passport design. That would create a lot of waves. Differentiation is the name of the game in Android. You can't produce just another slab to make sales if you're Blackberry.

Are you confusing this thread with the Armchair CEO section?
    11-11-15 08:52 PM
    On the occasion of the 92,000th post, our friend Valeria would like to celebrate SF and all the contributors to this unique thread in her own way...

Great taste in colours!
    morganplus8 and Corbu like this.
    11-11-15 08:52 PM
    Are you confusing this thread with the Armchair CEO section?

Mr BBRY and bungaboy like this.
    11-11-15 09:00 PM
    It looks like the case of the Leap, with the keyboard of the Classic, front camera and speaker of the SE Passport and the screen of... I don't even know.

I commend BlackBerry on trying new form factors, but it's getting hard to keep track of haha.
    morganplus8, CDM76, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    11-11-15 09:04 PM
    It looks like the case of the Leap, with the keyboard of the Classic, front camera and speaker of the SE Passport and the screen of... I don't even know.

I commend BlackBerry on trying new form factors, but it's getting hard to keep track of haha.
    I was thinking the same thing when I first saw it. Definitely has a Leap look to it. I swear I heard Chen say in the past month something about sticking with high end phones only, which is why I have thought the the next device could be a Passport with Android - although I don't know enough about Android with regards to the 1x1 aspect ratio. Anyway, should be interesting to see what happens.

I'm also not totally convinced that BB has to solely make keyboard phones to compete in the Android market. I am sure that going with a keyboard was the right thing to do to enter the market since everyone would be criticizing them if they didn't and it gives them some uniqueness to attract some attention. But if the Priv has success going forward and carriers have a little more faith in BB, I don't see why they couldn't go all touch and I don't see a lot of great reasons not to.
    11-11-15 09:26 PM
    BBRY chart. Time frame 4 hours. Bottom of upwards channel.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151111_222937.png

Attachment 380198

Posted with X10 via CB10
    Last edited by Heinz Katchup; 11-12-15 at 01:07 AM.
    11-11-15 09:31 PM
    Just a quick note re: Vienna, Android Central is saying they are hearing possibly a more squarish screen
    BlackBerry Vienna ?*the second Android BB ?*is a candybar with more physical buttons? | Android Central

I've also had a random thought as well of the possibility of BlackBerry trying to enter the full touch market as a future Nexus device. Sorry for going OT
    11-11-15 09:36 PM
    The mobile world's walls are crumbling
    Ponder the photo you see above for a moment. Yes, that's Apple Music running on a BlackBerry phone powered by Android -- products from three mobile rivals working in harmony. The very concept of this would have been outlandish just a year ago, let alone a few years earlier when these companies were at each other's throats. This is the best sign yet that some of the walls in mobile tech are finally tumbling down. Companies are realizing that they sometimes have to play nicely with each other if they want to succeed... and that's good for everyone.......................................... ...........................

The effects of this kinder and gentler attitude can be dramatic. The Priv is probably the first BlackBerry in years that you can seriously consider if you aren't a die-hard fan, especially if you depend heavily on third-party apps. For me, it's liberating to try a BlackBerry that both packs high-end hardware and can run apps like Instagram without jumping through hoops
    11-11-15 11:22 PM
    OT
    Lenovo Posts Narrower-Than-Expected Loss Amid Phone Restructure - Bloomberg Business

from the article " While Lenovo continues to lead the global computer market, its smartphone business is struggling to turn around the Motorola brand and meet its goal of becoming profitable within six quarters of completing the deal in 2014. A total of $923 million in restructuring costs taken last quarter will help it beat targets for long-term cost-savings, it said today.
    “Cost saving efforts taken in August are likely to help management achieve its turnaround target,” Joseph Ho, an analyst at GF Holdings (Hong Kong) Ltd., said in a Nov. 9 report. “Yet, Lenovo will face a tough uphill battle to drive volume growth amid the highly competitive and fairly homogeneous Android-based smartphone market.”
    11-11-15 11:53 PM
    So another AndroBerry on the frontpage of Crackberry. Looks like a good Q5/Q10 replacement. We can hope for a slab like the Z30, but I guess Chen is betting on AndroBerry keyboard phones as a differentiation.

A little spike after this news? I hope you're right Morganplus8. (omg it's in my passport word prediction)

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 12:51 AM
    Here's the group doing Priv's US marketing. DuJour Media Group

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151111_225949.png

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151111_230000.png

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 01:01 AM
    Semi-OT markets and opportunities

At least judging by the initial numbers, the company’s efforts have paid off. In the first 90 minutes after the Singles Day kickoff, at midnight in Beijing, Alibaba said it surpassed $5 billion in total sales. Seventy-four percent of those were from mobile phones. And international brands—from Nike to Apple—often offer discounts to lure more buyers.
    Alibaba's Singles Day Blowout Racks Up $5B in Sales in First 90 Minutes | WIRED

Back on topic : I've been told, PKB was really appreciated by asian users ... add a mid-low price Android device to the mix ... [thinking out loud]
    3MIKE, Corbu, theRock1975 and 5 others like this.
    11-12-15 04:00 AM
    That makes sense. Low end android meaning market share. Chen has said in the past that he wants market share. Right move for sure. And the key board is the king. Although blackjack touchscreen keyboard is very under rated.

What's this sid I don't recognize your writing...so positive!!

just a little sarcasm lol
    Mr BBRY, sidhuk, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    11-12-15 04:09 AM
    11-12-15 06:52 AM
    11-12-15 06:53 AM
    That past write-down was a huge act of folly and madness because management thought people would pay iPhone prices for the comparatively appless Z10 when the brand's name was in the gutter. This is an Android phone released in a completely different environment. There's no good reason for them not to be able to fill orders within days of the launch. We can spin it to ourselves however we like, but they are missing sales while the phone is unavailable. That's not a good thing. Anyway, hopefully they will sort it out asap.

Posted via CB10
    When you say: the brand's name was in the gutter. Does this imply that the BlackBerry brand was no longer in the gutter once the PRIV was launched???
    There can be many circumstances that caused this demand/supply inequality.
    1. The PRIV is a new device. Maybe it wasn't 'perfected' until recently. They want this device out asap (before the holidays). Maybe the amount that were made were as many as they can make in such a short time period.
    2. Many carriers seem to have jumped onto the launch of the PRIV at the last second. Maybe BlackBerry weren't sure that they would have the support of the carriers right away. CarePhone warehouse seemed to have done a survey before deciding to carry the device. Maybe carriers came in the last moments after they realized the initial buzz of the PRIV might be for real. BlackBerry can't (I guess they can) store inventory in the hopes that the carriers will jump aboard.
    3. Perhaps BlackBerry didn't expect sales to be this good. This one is my hope.
    4. Maybe the manufacturer is late. Maybe they had a factory recall. It's possible that the delays are from the manufaturers side.
    4a. Maybe they had many defective devices. This can be lumped together with the factory recall but it might have been defective on the software side.
    5. I've worked with MANY retail chains in the past. BlackBerry can't force stock on them the way Apple does. Once the devices are sold out, BlackBerry has to wait for a reorder. They have to wait for retail managers to place orders right away whereas these same managers might be too busy banging the cashier in the back room.

There are many possibilities as to why the PRIV 'seems' to be out of stock. Maybe BlackBerry want it to seem as if the PRIV is completely sold out. My buddy picked up a PRIV last night so it's not like every devices has already been sold.

Relax and let's hope that demand is that high that BlackBerry just can't keep up the supply.

BTW, AT&T and Rogers and Bell and Telus and ... aren't the only carriers in the world. Once BlackBerry filled the orders of these first retail outlets, they must have turned their attention to the next wave of retailers from other counties like Hong Kong and Germany. You are blaming BlackBerry for not having stock for their own webiste. Maybe the stock that was meant for the website was sold out and they also have to wait. Blame AT&T and the Canadian carriers for not ordering enough devices for the launch. They are the ones that decide how many devices per store are sent out.

You actually think that Blackberry wouldn't have made twice as much ( or 3x or 5x) if all the retail carriers asked for it!?! Chen also wants to sell as many devices as possible.
    11-12-15 07:48 AM
    OT:SPHS. Pre market up to 3.50. A friend of mine is saying that the price has to drop back to the 1.50 range to cover the run up and to sell now and by back once it drops. Any indications that this may happen or the opposite a ride up to $4. I saw a small sell off yesterday but then a big rally.
    11-12-15 08:18 AM
    OT: so mad the banks were closed yesterday. I couldn't get money into my trading account to buy sphs on the dip. Would have taken some early profits on it today!

Posted via crackberry10 on my new Z30!
    11-12-15 08:59 AM
    OT:SPHS. Pre market up to 3.50. A friend of mine is saying that the price has to drop back to the 1.50 range to cover the run up and to sell now and by back once it drops. Any indications that this may happen or the opposite a ride up to $4. I saw a small sell off yesterday but then a big rally.
    Never, ever listen to your friend, that is ridiculous. Analysts targets are now coming in and $ 7.50/shr is the first level and we hear from the CEO that they have the cash to finance the second Phase III if it is even necessary. This stock is set to become a big name in the game. The sell off occurred yesterday when the MM's took it down to load up. That show is over now. Try to ignore it if you can, it will drive you crazy!
    Corbu, rarsen, OlympusMons and 7 others like this.
    11-12-15 09:10 AM
    When you say: the brand's name was in the gutter. Does this imply that the BlackBerry brand was no longer in the gutter once the PRIV was launched???
    There can be many circumstances that caused this demand/supply inequality.
    1. The PRIV is a new device. Maybe it wasn't 'perfected' until recently. They want this device out asap (before the holidays). Maybe the amount that were made were as many as they can make in such a short time period.
    2. Many carriers seem to have jumped onto the launch of the PRIV at the last second. Maybe BlackBerry weren't sure that they would have the support of the carriers right away. CarePhone warehouse seemed to have done a survey before deciding to carry the device. Maybe carriers came in the last moments after they realized the initial buzz of the PRIV might be for real. BlackBerry can't (I guess they can) store inventory in the hopes that the carriers will jump aboard.
    3. Perhaps BlackBerry didn't expect sales to be this good. This one is my hope.
    4. Maybe the manufacturer is late. Maybe they had a factory recall. It's possible that the delays are from the manufaturers side.
    4a. Maybe they had many defective devices. This can be lumped together with the factory recall but it might have been defective on the software side.
    5. I've worked with MANY retail chains in the past. BlackBerry can't force stock on them the way Apple does. Once the devices are sold out, BlackBerry has to wait for a reorder. They have to wait for retail managers to place orders right away whereas these same managers might be too busy banging the cashier in the back room.

There are many possibilities as to why the PRIV 'seems' to be out of stock. Maybe BlackBerry want it to seem as if the PRIV is completely sold out. My buddy picked up a PRIV last night so it's not like every devices has already been sold.

Relax and let's hope that demand is that high that BlackBerry just can't keep up the supply.

BTW, AT&T and Rogers and Bell and Telus and ... aren't the only carriers in the world. Once BlackBerry filled the orders of these first retail outlets, they must have turned their attention to the next wave of retailers from other counties like Hong Kong and Germany. You are blaming BlackBerry for not having stock for their own webiste. Maybe the stock that was meant for the website was sold out and they also have to wait. Blame AT&T and the Canadian carriers for not ordering enough devices for the launch. They are the ones that decide how many devices per store are sent out.

You actually think that Blackberry wouldn't have made twice as much ( or 3x or 5x) if all the retail carriers asked for it!?! Chen also wants to sell as many devices as possible.
    I can assure you that I am quite relaxed. Calm down. I stand by what I said, but will give you the last word on this. I will, however, answer the question you've asked: No, the Priv is not entering anywhere near as hostile an environment...and it's an Android. People have been posting positive reviews in here for weeks. I'm not sure whether you were paying attention a couple years ago, but back then it was virtually all extremely negative news, and ridicule, etc.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    11-12-15 09:26 AM
    BlackBerry boss John Chen: security focus heralds return 'from edge of death' | Technology | The Guardian

BlackBerry boss John Chen: security focus heralds return 'from edge of death'

Once a smartphone leader, BlackBerry’s failure to recognize the rise of mobile browsing nearly sunk the firm. Superior security could be key to its survival

The CEO of troubled smartphone maker BlackBerry has blamed the company’s declining fortunes on a failure to deal with the “speed of change” in the industry, but claimed the company had pulled itself back “from the edge of death”.

John Chen, who took over as BlackBerry CEO in November 2013, admitted that it had once seen itself at the top of the smartphone race, but now finds itself now at the bottom.

“We were doing so well in 2006, 2007 and the beginning of 2008,” said Chen. The company was doing so well, in fact, that it didn’t realize that it needed to make huge changes in order to continue that trajectory. “Everyone is about disruption. Before long you find yourself missing a step,” he told a technology conference in Half Moon Bay, California.

That reluctance to change caused the company to drop in popularity dramatically, lose tremendous market share, and put itself on the edge of extinction. “You need to recognize the fact that you must change,” said Chen. “People recognize the fact that we’ve pulled ourselves out from the edge of death.”

One early mistake was that BlackBerry failed to foresee the importance of the mobile web, claimed Dan Hesse, former CEO of Sprint. Speaking from the audience, Hesse said that at the time he saw a lot of similarities between BlackBerry and Nokia, another mobile company whose fortunes dramatically fell. Hesse served on the board of Nokia before accepting the job as Sprint’s CEO in December 2007.

“At that time Nokia was larger than our next three competitors combined, which were Motorola, Samsung and Sony-Ericsson. Number four, and the company that Nokia was most concerned about, was BlackBerry, because BlackBerry was growing like a weed,” said Hesse. “I think they both more or less missed the same step, largely because of their success. Both had great hardware and great software at the time. But what was becoming important, and what the iPhone understood, was that people wanted was a really great internet browser on the device.”

Hesse said that after Google came on the scene with Android, which also had a great OS and browser like the iPhone, it essentially signed a death warrant for both Nokia and BlackBerry.

“That’s really where both Nokia and BlackBerry missed,” he said. “There was just a hesitancy [in BlackBerry]. I think arrogance is perhaps too strong a term, but just a belief in their particular way of thinking and wanting to keep going.”

Chen, who is seen a “fixer” of troubled businesses, said the company is now making huge changes, and last week released its first Android device, the BlackBerry Priv. Unlike its previous devices, which ran BlackBerry’s own operating system, the company hopes that using Google’s software, in combination with BlackBerry’s security software, will make the device appeal to more users. And it has to; BlackBerry needs to sell 5m of the devices every year in order to stay in the handset business.

However, hardware might not be the most important thing to the company now. While it’s certainly a huge part of its past, its future is focusing on something BlackBerry has always been ahead of the competition on: security.

Chen said that the company released an Android phone because he thought it could really showcase BlackBerry’s privacy and security features, which include features to monitor the information app developers are collecting from your device. While 2007 might have been the age of the mobile internet browser, today’s customers are increasingly concerned with security, something that BlackBerry is at the forefront of. Chen said he has told countless people over the past two years that BlackBerry makes the most secure phone, a fact that most accept without question.

“Nobody ever argued with me. Nobody even asked the question ‘why?’,” he said. That confidence in the company’s security features is something it hopes will help project it into the future, but a future where it plans to embrace change.

“Forget about today’s market,” he said. “The more important thing is what do you believe that the market beyond looks like.”
    11-12-15 09:41 AM
    Never, ever listen to your friend, that is ridiculous. Analysts targets are now coming in and $ 7.50/shr is the first level and we hear from the CEO that they have the cash to finance the second Phase III if it is even necessary. This stock is set to become a big name in the game. The sell off occurred yesterday when the MM's took it down to load up. That show is over now. Try to ignore it if you can, it will drive you crazy!
    Hey Morgan, since I missed the entry point I wanted on this yesterday, what do u think is a good reentry point now? Thanks

Posted via crackberry10 on my new Z30!
    11-12-15 09:46 AM
113,256 ... 36773678367936803681 ...