View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    No not necessarily. That is what BlackBerry would have you believe. yet ... Apple, and just about every other Android or S60 device made can get this using IMEI/SerialNumber. PIN is there for other purposes and also for this yet still I dont' see the PIN as a value add specific for HotFixes vs using BES12 for corporate approved hot fixes.
    PIN is for cryptography. It's a unique hex (generated when chip is secured).

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 08:55 PM
    I don't want to tell anyone when to go to cash. I get tired of hearing that so many of us are out of the rally because we thought we could save $ .20/shr of so. This happens with biotech and BBRY, it isn't necessary if we could all sit back, look at the evidence and see that, in this case, BBRY is holding up extremely well. As I see it now, the bids/asks are the same, but the volume has dried up! This tells me that on 3:00 PM on a Friday, the sellers are finally giving up on the need to be out at all costs. That leaves the buyers left to control the price and they are. The support is amazing, could it drop $ .20 - $ .25 pennies on Monday? Sure it could, or it could open up $ .50/shr and you will join the long list of others trying to save some money and miss the rally. One thing we do know, there is going to be a ton of news on the Priv in the next 60 hours and you won't be able to buy the stock ahead of that news. GL
    Again, thank you. I truly appreciate you taking the time to contribute and share your knowledge with us. Yes, we could be down 20-30 cents tomorrow, but I held. As I wrote though, my BlackBerry shares are probably 1/1000 of what you have lol. I'm playing with the small money I do have. So again... thanks!

BlackBerry is easier for me to personally put my money in because I know as much as possible from an outsider about the company, listen to earnings calls, etc. I've missed stocks like HALO and miss much greater returns than I've received from BBRY, but I'm starting to look further into biotech. Kinda feel too late to the party will HALO.

Anyway, your expertise is appreciated :-)

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    11-09-15 12:07 AM
    Just FTR, JC on Fox, yesterday.

[url]]
    So no one here picked up on John Chen's comment that they have a whole range of products coming that he is very excited about? They had this phone in the works for 2 years, and he is excited about the Priv.. I can't wait to see these other products that are making John excited.
    zlatno, ZayDub, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    11-09-15 02:11 AM
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...rtner=yahootix

Can someone post the full article? It seems like a fairly well balanced review, from the 1st page I could read.

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    11-09-15 06:07 AM
    A sign of things to come?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151109_061647.png

Ready for continued upward momentum and to make new yearly highs!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151109_061710.png

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    11-09-15 06:18 AM
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...rtner=yahootix

Can someone post the full article? It seems like a fairly well balanced review, from the 1st page I could read.

Yep a fair review. I can't believe I'm saying that about Forbes. He likes everything except the front camera, and says the rear cam is ok but not on par with other flagship, it sometimes heats up and it sometimes feels cpu throttled. High priced but if you want the productivity software, or the pkb, it's worth it. Otherwise a nexus 6P, s6, or LG 64 will do.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 06:28 AM
    Yep a fair review. I can't believe I'm saying that about Forbes. He likes everything except the front camera, and says the rear cam is ok but not on par with other flagship, it sometimes heats up and it sometimes feels cpu throttled. High priced but if you want the productivity software, or the pkb, it's worth it. Otherwise a nexus 6P, s6, or LG 64 will do.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, if you have access, can you post the full article?

11-09-15 06:37 AM
    Marketing the Priv:

BlackBerry chief executive John Chen, who was hired in late 2013 to reverse the smartphone maker�s sinking fortunes, has promised a marketing blitz for the Priv unlike any other. �It�s not going to be: here�s another phone, it has 25 megapixel this, or 15 this, or four giga,� he explained in September. �We are now putting a lot more money on marketing behind this phone.�
    Geeks and investors like the BlackBerry Priv, but does it appeal to the masses? | Financial Post
    11-09-15 06:45 AM
    I'm betting they don't start marketing until Dec to keep this quarterly spend low. That and they are probably trying to estimate demand and don't have a problem selling their first batch or two in November.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 06:48 AM
    It seems that a lot of BB10 users dislike their Priv experience...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...3/index17.html
    Last edited by Christophe Piquemal; 11-09-15 at 07:50 AM.
    11-09-15 06:55 AM
    It seem that a lot of BB10 users dislike their Priv experience...

That's not altogether unsurprising is it?

It is mostly stock Android afterall and most of us CB users likely don't even have the app gap due to side loading etc, so we already have the best OS on earth and the Passport, the best device on earth

So, kinda hard to compete with that

But, I can also see that it would take a while to adjust to the priv, but from what others are saying, once it settles in and they get used to it, it really starts to grow on them.

Passport was no different for me. Took a month and then a switch flipped and BAM, best damn phone ever and then the SE came out and it just got better

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 07:13 AM
    BlackBerry Priv Review: Impressive, Tragic Comeback

Here it is.

BlackBerry Priv Review: Impressive, Tragic Comeback

BlackBerry, BlackBerry, what have you done? After years of decline, mediocre hardware and software and near collapse we�d all given up on you. Even your most loyal fans (and they are really loyal) were finally prepared to move on� and then you make this.

Spoiler alert! The BlackBerry Priv is very good. It�s not perfect, but it�s far better than anyone had any right to expect from a first generation Android device that melds so many polar opposites: touchscreen and physical keyboard, premium design and rubberised finish, Google�s OS and good security.

The Priv may come too late to save BlackBerry, but it�s exactly what BlackBerry needed. It�s also exactly what Google needed: a phone designer brave enough to make something physically different and skilled enough to prove Android can have great security � when handled right. The Priv is the anti-Galaxy, and all the better for it. If this is the end for BlackBerry, it�s at least a poignant way to bow out�

Design � Back To The Future

Even if you know next to nothing about the Priv (it�s short for �Privacy� by the way, not toilet) you�ll know it�s main talking point is the brilliant/brave/bonkers inclusion of a physical sliding keyboard. And the fact BlackBerry has integrated it well is fundamental to any chance of success the Priv has.

Yes adding a slide-out keyboard makes the Priv a little fatter and heavier than you might expect for a phone with a 5.4-inch display (147 x 77.2 x 9.4 mm and 192g). Yes it can feel a little off balance at first with the rest of the phone stretched high above it, but the spring loaded sliding mechanism is rock solid and the keys tactile (if a little crowded for my liking). It has also learnt new tricks as scrolling can be done by swiping across the keys.

I�ll be the first to admit I�ve never been a fan of physical keyboards so I�m probably not best placed to criticise them. I�m also not convinced the Priv will win over die-hard virtual keyboard converts, but there�s an unmistakable enjoyment to typing long emails or messages without filling half your screen with a virtual keyboard (though you can if you want). It�s the past showing the future it isn�t necessarily better, but it does offer valid pros and cons.

The rest of the phone is similarly (and reassuringly) contradictory. It�s curved glass front hides a display that�s actually flat, the well sculpted lines are finished with a rubber trim that does feel luxurious and provides the practical grip owners of Apple and Samsung phones can only dream about. Meanwhile the aforementioned bulk means you can miss that the Priv has both a front mounted speaker and some of the thinnest bezels on the market.

I recognise that the design of the Priv will be polarising, but in a time where every phone looks the same that should be celebrated. It�s an Android touchscreen phone that�s also unmistakably a BlackBerry. Hardcore BlackBerry fans will love it and, for the first time in a long time, BlackBerry may collect some new fans along the way.

Display � Playing Straight With Curves

Switching on the Priv for the first time I was initially disappointed. Having been wowed by the curved displays of the Galaxy S6 Edge and S6 Edge+, discovering the curves on the Priv were superficial with the visible display stopping noticeably before the edge is a downer.

The display also isn�t the best around. Sure it�s a 2K (1440 x 2560) AMOLED with ludicrous 540ppi, but colours aren�t overly vibrant and it�s not as bright as leading Android devices like the LG G4, Nexus 6P or any of Samsung�s premium Galaxy range.

Then again, with time, I think a flat screen with curved glass may prove a very smart move. It�s the best of both worlds: the curves look great with the Priv switched off and the UI isn�t warped at the edges when it is on. It also means you don�t continually register accidental touches every time you reach for the opposite corner � something that�s driven many Galaxy Edge/Edge+ owners to distraction.

Software � Android By BlackBerry

Still where the Priv excels is its user experience. Unlike many (most) Android handset makers, BlackBerry hasn�t made changes for change�s sake. Visually Android looks predominantly stock (even the notification center) and there are no duplicate apps. Instead there�s subtle enhancement and it�s all focused around productivity and security.

Most simply BlackBerry has committed to Google�s new monthly security patch initiative (given its history how could it not?) but there�s far more than that. Like Motorola (and unlike LG, HTC, Huawei and most notably Samsung) the additions BlackBerry has made are all subtle, useful and app based. The highlights being:

Content Transfer � an Android, iOS, BlackBerry 7 and BlackBerry 10 data mover
    BlackBerry Hub � a smart email client with calendar, SMS and email aggregation
    Device Search � a deep search index to find anything on your device
    DTek � a security assistant which offers advice and grades your chosen security settings
    Productivity Tab � an optional and customisable edge shortcut to view your email, calendar or favourite contacts from any location

How good are they? As BlackBerry fans will know, Hub is a productivity boon. It�s a one-stop-shop for your SMS, email and calendar with swipe-based �snooze� commands to return messages at specific times or even locations. It�s Gmail, Google Inbox and Boomerang all in one and will likely convert many users.

Elsewhere there are also some nice tweaks. The Google Now swipe up gesture gives you three customisable shortcuts, widgets can be triggered for any app just by swiping up on an app�s icon and there�s an ingenious numerical lock screen of randomised numbers: just swipe from the middle to your chosen number to unlock. It only takes a second and your swipe will be unique every time.

But unfortunately the simple brilliance of this lock hides a glaring omission: there�s no fingerprint reader. For a company as security focused as BlackBerry to skip this is a major own goal and while the Priv launches with Android Lollipop, when it upgrades �early next year� to Marshmallow which has core fingerprint integration (including for Android Pay) the omission is only going to look even sillier.

Another misstep for me is the virtual keyboard. BlackBerry was extremely proud of its predictive typing in a demo to me, but the theory of randomly placing multiple words across the keys as you type is visually confusing and the time taken to pick out a word (which also involves a messy swipe gesture on that word to select it) is rarely faster than just typing what you need. I gave it a week, but never felt comfortable and gladly switched back to the stock Google keyboard.

These quibbles aside, my overall feeling about the Priv�s software experience is BlackBerry has �done a Motorola�: leave the core Android experience untouched but augment it with smart, useful additions. For its first Android phone, BlackBerry has done a top notch job. Except for one thing�

Performance � Hit And Miss

My first Priv was returned. The admittedly pre-production sample felt like a superheated turtle wading through syrup while wearing a ball and chain� on all four legs. Something seemed wrong, and it was. My replacement device was far superior, but the Priv is still not at the races compared to the very fastest Android phones.

This shouldn�t really be the case. The Priv has a Snapdragon 808 chipset with 3GB of DDR3 RAM. That�s no match for the Nexus 6P, OnePlus 2 or Samsung Galaxies, but it is a combination which powers the LG G4 with little fuss.

Yet the Priv is horribly erratic. At times cool, smooth and snappy, at others red hot, slow and stuttery � particularly using the browser and camera (more later). I suspect as a gen one model BlackBerry can address the worst of this with software patches (especially given most games run fine) but something isn�t right for a phone largely running stock Android.

Camera � Good, For A BlackBerry

So what about that sluggish camera? Do good things still come to those who wait? Not really.

On paper the Priv looks good. The front facing 2MP camera is a pointless waste at a time when even Apple has got its selfie game together, but the rear should be a different story. There�s an 18MP sensor with Schneider-Kreuznach optics, optical image stabilization, phase detection autofocus and dual-LED (dual tone) flash and support for 4K video. But it doesn�t come together.

The Priv hates both bright light and low light. In very bright scenes it continually blows out brighter areas (even in HDR mode � as you�ll see with the tree shot) while in low light it cranks the ISO so high that the end result is just noise (as you�ll see in the shot of the church). In either condition you may get away with using these shots on social media, but they don�t stand up to much scrutiny.

You can get some good shots from the Priv. Shooting in bright conditions away direct sunlight produces some lovely stuff, but then again that�s true for almost every premium smartphone for the last few years (even HTC). The Priv�s macro mode is also decent (as you�ll see from the shot of the dew covered plant), but it�s not enough to compensate for a camera which is no better than midrange.

One other thing. BlackBerry has to address its ridiculous use of shutter noise. The standard DSLR knock-off �click� is fine, but it goes off with every compositional shot from an HDR image. That means one photo = three shutter clicks. The result is a paparazzi-like bevvy of noise which turns heads and with auto HDR mode you never know when it will strike. BlackBerry, fix it!

What about video? Results here reasonable. BlackBerry�s dedicated camera app doesn�t offer any slo mo or timeshift modes and there can be some tear on fast panning shots, but video is generally clean and sharp. Interestingly the Priv also shoots in 1080p by default, despite the fact that a key Priv strength is storage (more later).

Tough as I�m being the Priv does have best camera ever fitted in a BlackBerry. The problem is that�s a very low bar in today�s market and, unsurprisingly, while the Priv camera is decent enough the company hasn�t been able to bridge the gap in a single generation.

Battery Life � BlackBerry Ups Android�s Game

Where BlackBerry is more on home turf, however, is battery life and here the Priv earns plaudits.

While battery life can vary from day-to-day (that�s a common Android curse) I found with light use I could finish the day with 60-70% of Priv battery remaining � that�s no mean feat. Moderate use (2-3 hours of screen on time) also poses no problems and even heavy use (4+ hours of screen-on time) still never saw the Priv die on me before very late at night. No, I didn�t achieve BlackBerry�s claims of �up to 22.5 hours� but this also isn�t a phone I�ve yet had to plug in during the day.

Part of the success for this is Priv�s hearty 3410 mAh battery, but I also get the impression there�s a lot of work behind the scenes. Notable is the impressive standby efficiency � something that was only addressed by Google in Android Marshmallow which the Priv lacks. When Marshmallow does hit the Priv the results could be epic, but part of me wonders if this stamina drive is also why the phone�s performance often feels throttled.

Downsides? There�s no wireless charging, which will anger some but it doesn�t need daily top-ups (edit: my UK review sample has no wireless charging, but US editions of the Priv will � a strange scenario). More importantly it supports Qualcomm�s Quick Charging 2.0, but BlackBerry shoots itself in the foot by not providing a QC compatible charger in the box. Given the price tag, that�s a very silly decision�

Value And Availability � Executive Targets, Executive Pricing

Right about now, despite being an Android device, the Priv should start sounding familiar: well built, great productivity software and battery life with a mediocre camera. Yes, this is so very BlackBerry. But unfortunately so is the price.

In the US the Priv costs an eye watering $749.99 contract free, �559.99 in the UK, $949.99 in Canada (edit $699 in the US and $899 in Canada, which suggests a last minute change from our press materials). For that you do get 32GB of storage, but that�s the only option. Compensation is the fact the Priv supports microSD and as such you can add capacity cheapily and easily and quickly offsets the price compared to the $100 jumps charged by some manufacturers. In fact the Priv will carry support for microSD cards up to 2TB.

Does this make the Priv worth it? If you plan to add-in a lot of space, yes. If you plan to take advantage of its unique sliding keyboard and great productivity software, yes. But if you just want a cool, high performance smartphone then the Priv isn�t in the same league as the cheaper Nexus 6P, OnePlus Two, LG G4 and even (now its price is cut) the Samsung Galaxy S6.

I understand these days that BlackBerry can�t order at a scale to earn discounts like an Apple or Samsung, but that�s not a customer�s concern.

Bottom Line � BlackBerry�s Back, But It Might Be Too Late

The Priv is exactly what BlackBerry needed � three years ago. Repeating the mistakes of Nokia, the company held onto its own stagnating platform for too long and its obliterated market share and tarnished reputation may be too far gone to repair.

And yet that would be a tragedy. In a mass of identikit Android slabs, the Priv stands out. It�s bold, strangely beautiful and slightly bonkers. It�s everything a BlackBerry phone should be and with some sales success I�m sure a second generation Priv would up its camera game, offer a top line chipset and probably a version minus the keyboard to tempt the masses.

The Priv isn�t likely to tempt the masses. Its mission is simply to sell enough for BlackBerry to make a Priv 2 then a Priv 3 and personally I think the Priv is good enough and interesting enough that BlackBerry deserves to get this chance. The smartphone world can be a very dull place and a smartphone world without BlackBerry would border on sterile.

I don�t love the Priv, but I want to. BlackBerry is fighting for its life and the Priv does enough to suggest it is a life worth saving.
    11-09-15 07:52 AM
    That's not altogether unsurprising is it?

It is mostly stock Android afterall and most of us CB users likely don't even have the app gap due to side loading etc, so we already have the best OS on earth and the Passport, the best device on earth

So, kinda hard to compete with that

But, I can also see that it would take a while to adjust to the priv, but from what others are saying, once it settles in and they get used to it, it really starts to grow on them.

Passport was no different for me. Took a month and then a switch flipped and BAM, best damn phone ever and then the SE came out and it just got better

Posted via CB10
    Based on it's sales... I'm not sure the Passport was ever the best device..... I think if the PRIV had been launched with BB10, or maybe a Z50 had been launched a year ago, either would have appealed to a "wider" audience.

The problem for BlackBerry is they need every BlackBerry fan they can get.... and they don't need people buying a phone and then turning around and returning it. Is bad for the bottom line and bad for their reputation with the retailers. But sadly BB10 is a superior OS, for now with the Google Play hacks it just offers users a better option. (If I were Chen I'd issue an update and say Google made them do it.... and go back to only allowing only signed files to be sideloaded.)
    11-09-15 07:59 AM
    I think we need to remember that the Priv is all about widening the appeal (Android), while also maintaining differentiation (slider) in a big market. This is not about pleasing BB10 supporters, it just isn't. I'm not saying that returns are good or that the loyal BB base hasn't earned better treatment over the years, but it's the reality of the situation. That being said, hopefully as BB continues to polish their software, there may be more elements that draw BB10 people in.
    11-09-15 08:11 AM
    11-09-15 08:21 AM
    Based on it's sales... I'm not sure the Passport was ever the best device..... I think if the PRIV had been launched with BB10, or maybe a Z50 had been launched a year ago, either would have appealed to a "wider" audience.

The problem for BlackBerry is they need every BlackBerry fan they can get.... and they don't need people buying a phone and then turning around and returning it. Is bad for the bottom line and bad for their reputation with the retailers. But sadly BB10 is a suThe problem for BlackBerry is they need every BlackBerry fan they can get..perior OS, for now with the Google Play hacks it just offers users a better option. (If I were Chen I'd issue an update and say Google made them do it.... and go back to only allowing only signed files to be sideloaded.)
    As always. Thanks for your sad comment.
    You said "but sadly bb10 is a superior OS". What do you mean?

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 08:28 AM
    Simple solution for the returns...release a BB10 powered Priv. Or even better an upgrade path from Android to BB10.

Posted from my PassPort
    morganplus8, rarsen, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    11-09-15 08:31 AM
    11-09-15 08:57 AM
    Thanks for posting the Forbes article for me Corbu. It was an interesting read.

11-09-15 09:00 AM

Some of the posts seem to be bashing just for the sake of bashing. Some were expecting the same OS experience as BB10. Some just don't like Android. Not every device is for everyone.

For example, I will not let go of my Passport whereas my brother can't wait to get the Priv after trying it out.
    11-09-15 09:30 AM
    Let's see. The Dow is down about 1% and BBRY trading up strong on more than half the average daily volume in the first hour of trading! Did anyone notice how hard we bounced off $8 early, which happens to be the upper end of the Bollinger Band? This is very exciting to watch.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-1d-chart-11.9.15.png
    11-09-15 09:43 AM
    The Verge actually had a pretty decent review of Priv...

There are enough software bugs and slowdowns that I had to tell him to hold off and see if BlackBerry could finish the job it started here. Take those good ideas and buff off their rough edges, make the software just a little more stable. Because as a first effort at an Android phone, the Priv is remarkable, and I couldn't wait to see what a second push would do for it (assuming, of course, that BlackBerry gets the chance).
    BlackBerry Priv review | The Verge
    11-09-15 09:58 AM
    The Verge actually had a pretty decent review of Priv...

BlackBerry Priv review | The Verge
    Lol. Not gonna give em click. No matter how nice it is. Verge is going to bash blackberry no matter what.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 10:00 AM

I've not counted on my fingers but besides the load of comments, I believe my two hands will be enough to count those actually returning it ... or stating they will
    11-09-15 10:02 AM
    Busy morning, I was prepared to see BBRY down a bit for profit taking and all ... but ...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    seems we're bumping on the upper bollinger band (thx MR BBRY, I look smarter lol) but we stand in green territory and that's pretty much unseen for a while (news -> going north -> analysts/reviews -> going south was pretty much the usual scenario).

Curious about the remaining buyouts to be achieved and if/when/how they'll be used to sustain SP. I'd guess it would dry a bit the offering, but I could be totally wrong : comments welcome !

As it's Monday, another passing point with the same table I used before (even if we know there's something weird for the DMA figures ...).
    About DMA, we often use the 50DMA (or shorter); what is the weight of 200DMA : is that a stronger indication of any kind ?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    11-09-15 10:16 AM
113,256 ... 36693670367136723673 ...