• No

427 37.82%
    The Verge poll:
    Poll: What's Your Favorite Android OEM?
    Blackberry already at 4%?
    Poll: What's Your Favorite Android OEM? | The Verge
    almost at LG level.
    11-07-15 03:01 PM
    I worry that the security claims that BB is making (or at least implying) wrt to the Priv may not hold up well under scrutiny. If the Priv succeeds, and gets attention from researchers, I think there might be some reputation risk there. If the Priv doesn't sell well, no one will care and no one will ever know.

Just a thought for anyone loading up on BBRY next week.
    What claims is BlackBerry making?
    11-07-15 03:26 PM
    I worry that the security claims that BB is making (or at least implying) wrt to the Priv may not hold up well under scrutiny. If the Priv succeeds, and gets attention from researchers, I think there might be some reputation risk there. If the Priv doesn't sell well, no one will care and no one will ever know.

Just a thought for anyone loading up on BBRY next week.
    Or they do hold up.....and the reputation grows. Glass half full or empty. You always seem to be half empty. Smfh

11-07-15 03:31 PM
    What claims is BlackBerry making?
    That this is the phone one should buy if one values security. That this phone is differentiated by being materially more secure than other Android phones. I'm skeptical this phone will, in fact, prove to be more secure than most other competitor phones.

And then on privacy, I still don't understand exactly what BB is claiming there.

Again, not an immediate issue, unless this phone really starts to get on researchers' radar. Then I can see reports from researchers trying to understand this. We'll see.
    11-07-15 03:33 PM
    Happy Saturday.

Thought some of you might be interested in this, it's the Reddit BlackBerry Priv megathread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/...ew_megathread/

It's quite large, and I'd normally copy/paste from an article, but I felt the OP's deserved to be recognized for their hard work.
    11-07-15 03:43 PM
    That this is the phone one should buy if one values security. That this phone is differentiated by being materially more secure than other Android phones. I'm skeptical this phone will, in fact, prove to be more secure than most other competitor phones.

And then on privacy, I still don't understand exactly what BB is claiming there.

Again, not an immediate issue, unless this phone really starts to get on researchers' radar. Then I can see reports from researchers trying to understand this. We'll see.
    Look, there is certainly potential to open yourself to critique when you make claims of security on a device. That's just the nature of the beast and I think BlackBerry is keenly aware of that, seeing as how they are trying to 'own that reputation' (paraphrase) according to Marty Beard. So is it a fair concern? Yes, but there are plenty of potential negatives just as there are also plenty of potential positives associated with the Priv. I would add in this case that, although the CSO made some specific claims on the security side, much of what they have said has been pretty generalized. Like you said, they are mostly saying this is a secure Android device, etc. I think if you really pushed them on it, they would say, well if you have concerns in terms of corp data, apps, or email through the phone, sign up for BES12! And if you pushed even further, they'd say go BB10+BES12! So I mean, it's a spectrum right? If they remain committed to security updates and patches, then I think they will maintain a solid reputation in the consumer space. I tread carefully here, because I was recently called out for being uninformed

All this to say, I'm not dismissing your concern, but it doesn't rank too highly on my list of concerns for the foreseeable future if we're talking BBRY stock, which I think you mentioned in your first post. As with everything, time will tell.
    Corbu, rarsen, La Emperor and 6 others like this.
    11-07-15 03:48 PM
    You don't need to wait for a researcher to tell you that Priv isn't as secure as BB10. Blackberry already confirmed it. Of course Priv can still be compromised.

Building security mechanisms into hardware/manufacturing processes and the kernel source are great ways to enable security without hindering performance. Timely patches are also very helpful.

However, monitoring processes that are continuously scanning apps in execution for malicious use(ex turning on cameras) is all that Blackberry can do for Android's swiss cheese OS.

Don't get me wrong, Blackberry did a great job with Priv design. Best Android by far.

The best way to secure a mobile OS Is to write it from the ground up with security in mind. This is what Blackberry did in 2011 and this is what Google will have to do as well but probably won't.

It just goes to show how ignorant the masses are with their "too little too late" comments for BlackBerry. More like "too much too early" for anyone to understand.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 05:09 PM
    Guys, please let's try to keep on track. These (security subject) are very complex and will lead to several OT pages. Not to mention all the passion...

There are already half a dozen threads about it, please use them and share with others !
    Thanks !
    SF

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, sidhuk, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    11-07-15 05:26 PM

Yeah that's what BlackBerry is claiming! But remember that it's up to the user to choose how secure the phone will be. BlackBerry gives you the tools and you decide what you want to do.

Sorry SF last word!
    Last edited by bbjdog; 11-07-15 at 09:46 PM.
    CDM76, OlympusMons and Superfly_FR like this.
    11-07-15 08:52 PM
    i am thinking about it, as i think the price should go up from where it is at right now
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-07-15 08:59 PM
    Oooops!

"The smartphone is expected to start shipping the week of November 23, 2015."

And still in "pre-order"... do not know exactly how to consider it...

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=J8uo936u

Posted via CB10

Edit : sorry, I don't know why but CB app is changing my link... in some words, for US, release date was 6, then 9, and now 23...

Very limited stock? Problem with the phone ? Abysmal demand? I don't know... but that's a long waiting time for customers ; hope there will be no more delay.
    Last edited by Christophe Piquemal; 11-08-15 at 11:20 AM.
    CDM76 likes this.
    11-08-15 06:26 AM
    Also in the toilet is my position in ZINC. I might add more.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 09:14 AM
    Oooops!
    Edit : sorry, I don't know why but CB app is changing my link... in some words, for US, release date was 6, then 9, and now 23...

Very limited stock? Problem with the phone ? Abysmal demand? I don't know... but that's a long waiting time for customers ; hope there will be no more delay.
    I pre-ordered 10/24 early in the evening and received a shipped confirmation yesterday 11/07. I'm speculating that preference was given for Carrier fulfillment and ShopBlackberry received a limited number of units. Hope BB can fill all online orders within a reasonable amount of time and get the devices in user's hands.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-priv-ship.jpg
    morganplus8, sidhuk, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    11-08-15 12:07 PM

I would think it is a logistical nightmare to distribute 150,000 phones into 3 countries and break that down into individual stores. There was a short window when the phone was getting carrier/regulator approval etc.. so BB didn't get much time to capture the demand profile for this product. Whatever number of phones BlackBerry states they shipped .... James Faucette will be doubling that in returns so its possible we can't win either way. Hope you get it.
    11-08-15 12:08 PM
    Someone get this girl a Passport!

11-08-15 01:02 PM
    Patience is a virtue, especially when investing. Blackberry will make it over $28/share again...sooner than you think.
    ZayDub, zlatno and 3MIKE like this.
    11-08-15 02:11 PM
    Patience is a virtue, especially when investing. Blackberry will make it over $28/share again...sooner than you think.
    Seeing as how I can't afford to sell at these prices I'm Hopkins that you are right !!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 03:19 PM
    Seeing as how I can't afford to sell at these prices I'm Hopkins that you are right !!!!

Posted via CB10
    Hello Hopkins, time to get a pkb.
    Sorry couldn't resist.

Posted via CB10
    ibpluto, ZayDub, Mr BBRY and 2 others like this.
    11-08-15 03:23 PM
    Every blackberry priv hater should see this video. Lol

Posted via CB10

Attachment 379662
    Last edited by sidhuk; 11-08-15 at 07:09 PM.
    11-08-15 04:26 PM
    Guys check this out if you wanna live 2 years longer. Mr Newyork is in the house.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1047275

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, La Emperor and morganplus8 like this.
    11-08-15 07:14 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-untitled_3.png
    Last edited by Corbu; 11-08-15 at 07:30 PM.
    11-08-15 07:18 PM
    Every blackberry priv hater should see this video. Lol

Posted via CB10

Attachment 379662
    Thanks Sidhuk

This TK reviewer is awesome. I need this guy's opinion on everyone of my purchases!

This guy is no BS and he makes a great point of reviewers making final statements about a new phone or OS after a day or two of use.

I really hope the Priv grows on people and those people talk it up to their buddies....best part is that if their buddies already own an android, it's much easier to talk them into a BlackBerry than talking the same person into BlackBerry10, like we have all struggled to do.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, Corbu, morganplus8 and 3 others like this.
    11-08-15 08:22 PM
    Thanks Sidhuk

This TK reviewer is awesome. I need this guy's opinion on everyone of my purchases!

This guy is no BS and he makes a great point of reviewers making final statements about a new phone or OS after a day or two of use.

I really hope the Priv grows on people and those people talk it up to their buddies....best part is that if their buddies already own an android, it's much easier to talk them into a BlackBerry than talking the same person into BlackBerry10, like we have all struggled to do.

Posted via CB10
    Priv is a great android phone. It's just that Passport is the greatest phone with bb10 ever. A year old but can't hold a candle against it. Just pushed down by the fake propaganda. I challange any one to meet in person to justify that any other phone is better than passport and any other OS is better than bb10. .

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, Corbu, theRock1975 and 7 others like this.
    11-08-15 08:28 PM
    Totally agree with this. Personally I have no desire to use an Android device. The Passport is without doubt the best BlackBerry device that has ever been made. It's so fluid and just works for me and my business needs.

Posted by my fabulous red Passport
    sidhuk, rarsen, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    11-08-15 08:38 PM
    Isn't an added benefit of the PIN to target Priv devices with immediate hot fixes?
    No not necessarily. That is what BlackBerry would have you believe. yet ... Apple, and just about every other Android or S60 device made can get this using IMEI/SerialNumber. PIN is there for other purposes and also for this yet still I dont' see the PIN as a value add specific for HotFixes vs using BES12 for corporate approved hot fixes.
    11-08-15 08:47 PM
113,256 ... 36683669367036713672 ...