View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Reading the above exchange about the relative merits of the Priv and BB10, the fact that this launch seems to have at least generated some positive buzz, etc. I can't help but post this recent exchange between two readers of the WSJ who were commenting on the article written yesterday by Joanna Stern who, as we all know, won't likely be writing about nuclear fission anytime soon and is - we must come to grips with that - representative of most phone users and customers.

BlackBerry Priv Review: BlackBerry May Win You Back With Android - WSJ

The reality is that aside from BB's past sales/marketing failures, the app issue problem associated to BB10 and the status symbol aspect of the iPhone, one could argue that most people not only want a rather simple OS but also aren't suited (perhaps way more often than we think) to anything which may well be more sophisticated and technologically clever but may also be slightly more difficult to get accustomed to, require a steeper learning curve, etc. So they need/want something which most of us would consider outdated. But, as SF said, one could hope that the Priv and the interest that it will generate will lead some of them 1) to discover that there is an alternative and 2) to see the light. Although, to be fair, that app gap problem would still remain and, for most, that would still be a dealbreaker. So, why not envision a future where BB could offer both solutions, a Droid based one "for the less technically inclined" and another one, "for the more savvy user". And, ideally, sales of the first would sustain the second... And then, I wake up!

BTW, anxious to find out more about what JC was referring to yesterday, in his Fox interview (at 0:23: BlackBerry CEO on new phone | On Air Videos | Fox Business)

"... and we have a range of products after this, you know, it's actually quite exciting..."
    This is great post, Corbu. I think the point that one of the commenters was making, and one that BlackBerry probably realized as well, is that apps are not just for consumers, but enterprises as well. Ultimately, that battle is just so difficult at this stage, I mean even Microsoft hasn't had the easiest time with respect to apps. It is unfortunate because as you alluded to, BB10 just feels so efficient in comparison to other OSes.

I feel like the only way BB10 could come back is if there is a movement towards web-based apps, and I know I've read Google doing some work trying to make Chrome more functional in that respect. Although, that would still limit those apps to Chrome, but let's say hypothetically that something like HTML5 apps became the standard, suddenly the advantages of a snappy, intuitive, modern-feeling OS are more pronounced (with app neutrality, if you will) and you could justify rebooting an R&D and marketing budget for BB10, especially if the hardware division and brand has improved. In the mean time, BB10 is still an asset if it helps get the highest security clients on BES. I'm just talking off the top of my head with minimal tech background so think of what I'm saying in general terms, if I'm not making a ton of sense here.

Also a word to the wise, stay away from the Priv forum for the time being. Man, it is straight terrifying over there right now. "It's not on verizon, it is on verizon, AT&T doesn't have wireless charging, it does, the phone sucks, the speaker's are terrible, the reception is awful, the OS is buggy, the screen is too big, too small..."

I wonder if Chen was referring to software or hardware products there. I would assume hardware given the context, maybe a Passport with Android M. Or going out on a limb, maybe an Android tablet?
    Last edited by peteberry12; 11-07-15 at 10:37 AM.
    11-07-15 10:27 AM
    What I don't get and get mad is MOBL is riding high with us though no big volume.
    Morgan, would you like to offer your opinion? I have no interest in it but just wish it go down the drain.

Presented to you by real phone - Passport
    MOBL popped on Friday because Chen made a reference to the company during his Bloomberg interview which led to some speculation that BBRY may be considering acquiring them.

Comments come in the last minute.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...sales-struggle

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 10:28 AM
    Somebody is making (relatively more) money on each Priv sold (when compared to BlackBerry's counterparts) , either being Wistron/Foxconn, the carrier or ultimately BlackBerry. Especially the first party will WANT BlackBerry to remain commited.
    Very, very unlikely. Costs at these low volume levels sadly mean that this phone at $899 is much LESS profitable per unit for all involved than lower priced phones selling at 10 or 100 times the volume.
    11-07-15 10:29 AM
    Tech radar review of the Priv wasn't too bad.

I can't help but feel that a more solid rear piece (metal or sturdier glass weave with less creak/give) and a few OS/app optimizations (if there is a bit of OS studded and camera lag) -- and this phone would be considered on par with the S6 -- one of the top rated phones (often the top rated).

Why is the Priv so low scoring vs the S6 on the benchmarks -- because samsung tweaks their phones to score high on the benchmark program?

All in all - it seems if you want a great android phone with a keyboard and don't mind a bit less premium feel, the Priv will do just fine.

If Blackberry can sell 1 Priv for every 10 S6 then it's a success.
    11-07-15 10:52 AM
    Globe says BlackBerry's pricey Priv looks like a winner

2015-11-06 08:37 ET - In the News

The Globe and Mail reports in its Friday edition that the Priv is the fourth new BlackBerry handset released under the leadership of chief executive officer John Chen. The Globe's Shane Dingman argues the Priv is the most polished and modern smart phone of the lot. BlackBerry's other recent devices, the Passport, Classic and the lower-end Leap, had unusual screen sizes or middling build quality. The Priv has a gorgeous 5.4-inch screen that curves at the edges, a long-lasting battery, a high-end 18-megapixel camera sensor and is surprisingly light in the hand. The Priv uses Google's Android operating system, which boasts most of the major consumer apps that BlackBerry phones have been missing since the iPhone-led app revolution took over mobile computing. The Priv also has the key BB-10 apps such as the Hub messaging centre, calendar, BBM and even a new security monitoring app called DTEK. Aside from the "piddly" 32 gigabytes of on-board storage, Mr. Dingman's main concern with this phone is its cost -- $899 without a contract. He thinks non-business consumers will have a hard time justifying that kind of outlay on a smart phone, especially given that there are better Androids on the market for far less.
    Too bad Dingman isn't bright enough to realize an extra $150 gives this phone over 2,000 (!!) GB. And you need an extra $200 to go from 16GB to 128GB on an iPhone. I guess journalists should stick to writing and leave tech stuff to the experts.
    11-07-15 10:55 AM
    Too bad Dingman isn't bright enough to realize an extra $150 gives this phone over 2,000 (!!) GB. And you need an extra $200 to go from 16GB to 128GB on an iPhone. I guess journalists should stick to writing and leave tech stuff to the experts.
    I am not sure these people don't know that kind of difference. IMO. They do it purposely. It is fashion to pick on minority/blackberry. Majority would like the article and minority will give clicks on the comment section. Win win.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    11-07-15 11:06 AM
    AT&T has the 16GB iPhone 6S priced on par with the 32GB Samsung S6 on a 2 year commitment. Both do not have a micro SD option whereby the 32B Flash, 3GB RAM Priv is $50 USD cheaper with micro SD.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-priv-compare.jpg
    sidhuk, Corbu, morganplus8 and 8 others like this.
    11-07-15 11:14 AM
    Well, I added my comment to his article.
    sidhuk and Corbu like this.
    11-07-15 11:15 AM
    AT&T has the 16GB iPhone 6S priced on par with the 32GB Samsung S6 on a 2 year commitment. Both do not have a micro SD option whereby the 32B Flash, 3GB RAM Priv is $50 USD cheaper with micro SD.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Priv Compare.JPG 
Views:	782 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	379426
    Let's talk about your avatar for a minute. so what does that represent? LOL.
    I like it every time I see it.
    Yes. Priv is a better deal.

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor and OlympusMons like this.
    11-07-15 11:21 AM

Or going out on a limb, maybe an Android tablet?
    That would be my guess as a challenger to the other white tablet in the enterprise.
    sidhuk likes this.
    11-07-15 11:31 AM
    Let's talk about your avatar for a minute. so what does that represent? LOL.
    I like it every time I see it.
    Yes. Priv is a better deal.

Posted via CB10
    LOL, it's Canadian speed skater Brittany Schussler from the Sochi games. The pic was part of an article I read while following Canada's 2014 Olympic progress.

http://http://files.sharenator.com/b...777-420802.jpg
    sidhuk, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    11-07-15 11:31 AM
    MOBL popped on Friday because Chen made a reference to the company during his Bloomberg interview which led to some speculation that BBRY may be considering acquiring them.

Comments come in the last minute.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...sales-struggle

Posted via CB10
    Personally I don't want BlackBerry to waste money on MOBL.

11-07-15 11:45 AM
    Maybe OT, but a pseudo BlackBerry Experience Suite is available @ XDA..

And BlackBerry had 'wanted / planned' to monetize on that (I'm not sure if they specifically termed it that way)...

 Q5 / Z30
    Last edited by gvs1341; 11-07-15 at 12:24 PM.
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    11-07-15 12:00 PM
    Hey Mr BBRY! I'm using the Classic as my DD! It's so convenient and easy to use! I use the PP more for browsing on wifi at home and reading stock articles, using apps etc when I'm home. I'd like to try the PP out more in public but I haven't found a good case I like yet, so I've been using it naked, and I fear dropping it so I keep it safe and sound at home, for the most part lol

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    ZD and Morgan... I've heard some of our contributors here having issues finding a decent case for the Passport and thought I should post a few pics of the best case I've found that preserves most of the sleek look and provides just enough protection with some relief along the edge to keep the screen from contacting a flat surface face down. It's the leather molded cover made by Tetded... I have a black one for my PP and the wife chose to have hers in orange

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151107_080439_edit.jpgThe BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151107_080507_edit.jpgThe BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151107_080527_edit.jpgThe BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151107_080602_edit.jpgThe BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151107_080616_edit.jpg
    Last edited by OlympusMons; 11-07-15 at 01:02 PM.
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    11-07-15 12:01 PM
    Very, very unlikely. Costs at these low volume levels sadly mean that this phone at $899 is much LESS profitable per unit for all involved than lower priced phones selling at 10 or 100 times the volume.
    Although I'm not so much aware of all costs involved, I assume (stupidly?) that if Apple sells tens of millions iPhones, they should get a much better deal (especially considering their negotiating power) than BlackBerry who will only sell a few million, outsourcing most of the inventory costs and even marketing budget (?)... If companies can (and continue to) produce e.g. Blackphone, and Foxconn pays its employees x dollars per day, then don't worry... most are making money regardless of volume.. and in this case it's not BlackBerry. What is Foxconn's market cap?
    Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, rarsen, La Emperor and 1 others like this.
    11-07-15 12:02 PM
    ZD and Morgan... I've heard some of our contributors here having issues finding a decent case for the Passport and thought I should post a few pics of the best case I've found that preserves most of the sleek look and provides just enough protection with some relief along the edge tkeep the screen from contacting a flat surface face down. It's the leather molded cover made by Tetded... I have a black one for my PP and the wife chose to have her's in orange

Name:	IMG_20151107_080439_edit.jpg 
Views:	999 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	379432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151107_080507_edit.jpg 
Views:	924 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	379433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151107_080527_edit.jpg 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	379434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151107_080602_edit.jpg 
Views:	1000 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	379435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151107_080616_edit.jpg 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	379436
    Thanks for sharing! Will that work for the Passport SE though? Or do they have a version for the SE?

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    11-07-15 12:08 PM
    Just FTR, JC on Fox, yesterday.

morganplus8, sidhuk and rarsen like this.
    11-07-15 12:22 PM
    ZD and Morgan...
    Here is the case that I use, it is almost the same as yours. Note, I have broken the glass before using the case, while using the case and after I discarded the case!!!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151107_132309.jpg

I just don't like covering my phone up! That passport is so cool on its own. I'm also pretty darn good at replacing glass.
    11-07-15 12:30 PM
    Thanks for sharing! Will that work for the Passport SE though? Or do they have a version for the SE?

Yes! They have one that fits the Passport SE... Here's a nice deal for one on eBay... They are super nice and have a great real leather feel (and smell) to them:

Tetded Passport SE Leather Case on eBay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TETDED-Premium-Leather-Case-for-Blackberry-PASSPORT-SILVER-Caen-LC-Black-/191714483350?hash=item2ca312dc96:g:TOwAAOSw~bFWG9R T
    morganplus8, rarsen and ZayDub like this.
    11-07-15 01:06 PM
    Here is the case that I use, it is almost the same as yours. Note, I have broken the glass before using the case, while using the case and after I discarded the case!!!

Name:	IMG_20151107_132309.jpg 
Views:	1287 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	379443

I just don't like covering my phone up! That passport is so cool on its own. I'm also pretty darn good at replacing glass.
    I know... I've broken my glass once already accidentally stepping on it while I was doing some home reno's. It is hard to find a case that will keep the screen protected from a face down impact but I find the leather backing and finish looks a whole lot more elegant and luxurious than plastic. At $20-30 I didn't mind trying out a few different ones till I settled on the Tetded design.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    11-07-15 01:12 PM

Name:	IMG_20151107_132309.jpg 
Views:	1287 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	379443

This is why I like the leather pouches. Great protection, but still get to use it and see it naked

11-07-15 01:22 PM
    Personally I don't want BlackBerry to waste money on MOBL.

Although I advocated initially BBRY bought MOBL, now that they acquired GOOD, I cannot see much interest.
    Cost per user will be too high, even with the goal of leading the market by an extended %.

Have a great weekend folks, I'm out for the moment !
    Cheers
    SF.
    11-07-15 02:06 PM
    This is why I like the leather pouches. Great protection, but still get to use it and see it naked

Are you referring to leather pouches like these? They do provide good all round glass protection too ...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-download.jpg
    11-07-15 02:15 PM
    BlackBerry Priv review: Priv to fight another day - Telegraph [UK]
    Verdict

The BlackBerry Priv is a handset you'll either love or loathe. The company has been smart enough to jump aboard the Android train at a time when it makes perfect sense; Microsoft, after all, is also struggling to cater for an audience ever more hungry for the latest and best apps on their platform. BlackBerry's submission to Google allows them to be more bold in their divisory hardware design, and I loved it.
    Hats off to BlackBerry for being bold enough to make a gamble they truly deserve to see pay off. In an age when all phones effectively use the same candy bar conventions, it's refreshing to see something different - some of us may have missed flipping and sliding our phones more than we actually realised. As John Chen acknowledged, the Priv may well be the last handset the company ever makes. And given that it's the best handset they've made in years, that would be a crying shame.

Pros:

• The QWERTY keyboard won't be for everyone, but I loved it
    • Unskinned Android feels clean and functional
    • Excellent security and productivity features

Cons:

• High price tag
    • Slightly slow and at times buggy
    • Design feels at time less than premium
    11-07-15 02:16 PM
    I worry that the security claims that BB is making (or at least implying) wrt to the Priv may not hold up well under scrutiny. If the Priv succeeds, and gets attention from researchers, I think there might be some reputation risk there. If the Priv doesn't sell well, no one will care and no one will ever know.

Just a thought for anyone loading up on BBRY next week.
    11-07-15 03:01 PM
113,256 ... 36673668366936703671 ...