View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    And working hard to make sure top posts are you know. As always. Before it was passport. Now priv. LMAO. I do have the priv. None of those issues.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151106_215253.png

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 09:56 PM
    I hope it sells, but I've tried the Priv and I'll only switch to Android if BlackBerry give up on BB10. It reminded of how much better BlackBerry 10 is on my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    ibpluto and CDM76 like this.
    11-07-15 01:44 AM
    I haven't seen a launch like this from BlackBerry in a long time. Very good at many fronts. AT&T promoting the device in-store on launch day. BlackBerry doing some very cost-effective and effici�nt marketing. Really good reviews overall. All I want to see now is the Priv being supported in-store by many more carriers in the following weeks and months (especially in the US), the lead time for online orders to be reduced... and if all pieces fall into place, without any material and unpleasant surprises, they'll remain commited to hardware. It would be a shame if they didn't with a device like this. And JC knows this. He'll make the division profitable sooner or later. Somebody is making (relatively more) money on each Priv sold (when compared to BlackBerry's counterparts) , either being Wistron/Foxconn, the carrier or ultimately BlackBerry. Especially the first party will WANT BlackBerry to remain commited.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 03:40 AM
    Disclaimer : I know it's nowhere rational. And it's probably not "the plan" either.

Reading the forums (here and there), I can't miss the numerous comments like "this makes you realize how superior BB10 is, still ...". I'm not referring to those diehard BB10 users that will even refuse to give the Priv a chance, I'm referring to those who actually bought it early.

I can't refrain from thinking that this bittersweet Android experience may lead to an unexpected/unknown BB10 exposure and curiosity.

I mean, both new users (who never had BBOS/BB10) and former BB10 users will meet in the same discussions and forums, the former being exposed to statements like "Well, the HUB is pretty cool under Android but (not yet) as capable than it is on BB10".
    We (BB10 users) have a relatively biased level of expectations, because we'd like the Priv to be on par with our current experience on several DNA aspects (Hub, swipe, peek, ...) that new BlackBerry customers aren't even in the known that they exist.

I believe we should monitor how the BB10 sales are linked to the Priv ones. One may think (current perspective) Android will raise very fast, resulting in lower sales for BB10 (that's "canibalism"). I'm not really sure why, but my feeling is that we might note otherwise and at least nail that BB10 sales are even ... or possibly greater than before the Priv.
    What do you think ?

Have a great week-end guys !
    SF
    11-07-15 04:44 AM
    Disclaimer : I know it's nowhere rational. And it's probably not "the plan" either.

I can't refrain from thinking that this bittersweet Android experience may lead to an unexpected/unknown BB10 exposure and curiosity.

I believe we should monitor how the BB10 sales are linked to the Priv ones. One may think (current perspective) Android will raise very fast, resulting in lower sales for BB10 (that's "canibalism"). I'm not really sure why, but my feeling is that we might note otherwise and at least nail that BB10 sales are even ... or possibly greater than before the Priv.
    What do you think ?

SF
    I think you are a genius!

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...10-os-1041172/
    11-07-15 05:17 AM
    And working hard to make sure top posts are you know. As always. Before it was passport. Now priv. LMAO. I do have the priv. None of those issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151106_215253.png 
Views:	1159 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	379366

Posted via CB10
    And those users are new? Or just recently opened the account.

#BBFactCheck
    11-07-15 06:40 AM

Reading the forums (here and there), I can't miss the numerous comments like "this makes you realize how superior BB10 is, still ...". I'm not referring to those diehard BB10 users that will even refuse to give the Priv a chance, I'm referring to those who actually bought it early.

SF

Great post, SF!

I've been spending the better part of my time with this phone reminding myself to be patient and to give it time to adjust, but I'm really struggling with getting over BB10. I'm too new to Android OS to give a fair assessment yet, but I'm sure of one thing; BB10 rocks and life without the 'real' Hub is difficult. I think the Priv will be a home run for current Android users, but agree with SF completely in that we now have a direct comparison to BB10 and that could raise awareness.

One other thing I meant to tell you guys about my visit to the AT&T store yesterday. I did my usual thing trying to stir up conversation about the Priv as I have with every other time I buy a new BlackBerry, but this time was different. By the time I left the store, the sales rep, who is an iPhone guy, was going to get the Priv as his work issued phone. The store manager was planning on replacing his Note with a Priv. And even the LG rep is going to try out the Priv. If that's not a good sign about this phone I don't know what is.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-07-15 06:48 AM
    Thanks Mr BBRY (out of button).

Yeah, I believe we have a solid offering here and this time sales may reach or exceed the target.
    What I induced with my post is that we could be tempted [is there any safer formulation ? please use it instead] to anticipate that the 5 millions devices break even can be reached by the combination of Priv sales and BB10 [unexpected] bump.
    This means my post is performance related, not "marketing plans".

P.S: In another thread, I had to point out that it does not meant BB10 will have a rebirth : so I do it again here.
    11-07-15 07:27 AM
    And those users are new? Or just recently opened the account.

#BBFactCheck
    Be careful with fast reading of profiles.
    These members can be AC users for a while. It's then natural they come here about the Priv.
    Don't rush, don't flame, the mod team is at it, pretty much 24/7. It takes time to sort the wheat from the chaff but be certain it is.

Moreover, we know a new device launch will meet problems, whatever the brand or model. Remember it's a brand new territory for BlackBerry and one should be blind to pretend there will be no real problems, depending on various situations. That's why CB is here to begin with : help the community.

Cheers,
    SF
    11-07-15 07:30 AM

I mean, both new users (who never had BBOS/BB10) and former BB10 users will meet in the same discussions and forums, the former being exposed to statements like "Well, the HUB is pretty cool under Android but (not yet) as capable than it is on BB10".
    We (BB10 users) have a relatively biased level of expectations, because we'd like the Priv to be on par with our current experience on several DNA aspects (Hub, swipe, peek, ...) that new BlackBerry customers aren't even in the known that they exist.

What do you think ?

Have a great week-end guys !
    SF
    SF, people who saying that going android will kill bb10 will be wrong.
    People who have spent few months with passport will realize that Passport is simply the best phone and best OS. Combination period. The only thing that I can feel against passport is that it looks different than what every one else has out there and I am at the point that I don't give Rat's bums about what every one else has and think when it comes to phones.
    And people who know how to side load android apps, will have hard time justifying even looking at any other OS more than few minutes. IMO

Priv is a great android phone. For some it might even be greater if it is kept plain android and BlackBerry don't muscle in their skins.
    Priv has great dual keyboard, it is fast, light, thin and beautiful phone. It is gonna sell enough to make BlackBerry profitable. Things that would have made it easier for to switch would be following.
    1. Bb10hub.
    2. Dark theme for apps like bbm and other apps.
    3. Control over notifications the way bb10 has.
    The rest I could handle with few days of use.

And I am hoping that BlackBerry does have the plan to make bb10 priv.

But I do agree that priv might make BlackBerry a respectable Brand again for people in general and might even help bb10 sales with awareness.
    Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen, Corbu and 3 others like this.
    11-07-15 07:35 AM
    I'm afraid we won't see any BB10 device at best for a while, probably ever.
    To be more specific, I cannot see the slider under BB10 as a valid proposition.

About dark theme and notification control, this will very likely be in the list of improvements to come, sooner (apps patching) or later (Marshmallow). I read here and then that apps are already patched after the initial setup being made a day earlier (on reboot).
    sidhuk, Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    11-07-15 07:41 AM
    IMO. If chen has money to play around with hardware he might. Because. He has. Been using passport. Bet he is going through the same issues as we are. And many of his Co workers. So IMO, anything is possible. Or they might be working on adopting more and more bb10 important features.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    11-07-15 07:46 AM
    Globe says BlackBerry's pricey Priv looks like a winner

2015-11-06 08:37 ET - In the News

The Globe and Mail reports in its Friday edition that the Priv is the fourth new BlackBerry handset released under the leadership of chief executive officer John Chen. The Globe's Shane Dingman argues the Priv is the most polished and modern smart phone of the lot. BlackBerry's other recent devices, the Passport, Classic and the lower-end Leap, had unusual screen sizes or middling build quality. The Priv has a gorgeous 5.4-inch screen that curves at the edges, a long-lasting battery, a high-end 18-megapixel camera sensor and is surprisingly light in the hand. The Priv uses Google's Android operating system, which boasts most of the major consumer apps that BlackBerry phones have been missing since the iPhone-led app revolution took over mobile computing. The Priv also has the key BB-10 apps such as the Hub messaging centre, calendar, BBM and even a new security monitoring app called DTEK. Aside from the "piddly" 32 gigabytes of on-board storage, Mr. Dingman's main concern with this phone is its cost -- $899 without a contract. He thinks non-business consumers will have a hard time justifying that kind of outlay on a smart phone, especially given that there are better Androids on the market for far less.
    11-07-15 07:57 AM
    Bet he is going through the same issues as we are. And many of his Co workers.
    My personal feedbacks are not that way. Very positive returns, I had (Yoda style).
    sidhuk, rarsen and La Emperor like this.
    11-07-15 08:03 AM
    Aside from the "piddly" 32 gigabytes of on-board storage, Mr. Dingman's main concern with this phone is its cost -- $899 without a contract. He thinks non-business consumers will have a hard time justifying that kind of outlay on a smart phone, especially given that there are better Androids on the market for far less.
    I'd count 90 days from now and then see the problem solved ... but that's just me (and former devices pricing strategy observation).
    11-07-15 08:05 AM
    I'd count 90 days from now and then see the problem solved ... but that's just me (and former devices pricing strategy observation).
    I think it will take a consumer about 10 minutes to find out that this statement is just not true.

" ....... especially given that there are better Androids on the market for far less".

A large number of consumers, to whom the phone isn't necessarily targeted for, will take the two year plan, or as you suggested, wait for a better entry point. Makes you wonder who is buying iPhones $$$$$$ etc. This phone is doing better than I thought it would, Chen is rocking it this time and has me wondering what's up his sleeve in the months ahead.
    11-07-15 08:13 AM

About dark theme and notification control, this will very likely be in the list of improvements to come, sooner (apps patching) or later (Marshmallow). I read here and then that apps are already patched after the initial setup being made a day earlier (on reboot).
    The current android OS did have the dark theme option once the developer mode is activated. However, Google is taking away that in the next version. Although, that dark mode is for setting screens etc. Not the apps.
    Any ways. I think we are getting off topic here for this.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-07-15 08:13 AM
    Chen is rocking it this time and has me wondering what's up his sleeve in the months ahead.
    Something connected to the Priv, thanks to Android ?
    Make your bets.
    [100% speculative]
    11-07-15 08:18 AM
    I think it will take a consumer about 10 minutes to find out that this statement is just not true.

" ....... especially given that there are better Androids on the market for far less".

A large number of consumers, to whom the phone isn't necessarily targeted for, will take the two year plan, or as you suggested, wait for a better entry point. Makes you wonder who is buying iPhones $$$$$$ etc. This phone is doing better than I thought it would, Chen is rocking it this time and has me wondering what's up his sleeve in the months ahead.
    Interestingly. When I was buying my phone yesterday, another gentleman purchased a priv just ahead of me. Once the priv owner walked away, the sales guy came to my sales person and started conversation by saying wow, another priv. Then he said to his colleague that he sold a Priv and a nexus this morning. To that they both said that may be android OS is starting to come back. Not sure why they said it cause I had a phone call right after this and I couldn't ask. I am thinking that too many iphones sales on that location.
    Priv is a great android device with best dual keyboard. Just don't give away your passport yet Morgan+8. Passport spoiled too many people like us. LoL

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, morganplus8, Corbu and 6 others like this.
    11-07-15 08:21 AM
    OT: was at the ACC last night for the Leafs/Wings Hall of Fame game. Lots of PRIV advertising. Continuous rotating banners both in the rink and in the concession area.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151106_203516.jpg

11-07-15 08:46 AM
    https://www.yahoo.com/tech/blackberr...inkId=18573474
    BlackBerry Priv: A Sweet Android Phone with a Slider Keyboard
    David Pogue
    11-07-15 08:51 AM
    Reading the above exchange about the relative merits of the Priv and BB10, the fact that this launch seems to have at least generated some positive buzz, etc. I can't help but post this recent exchange between two readers of the WSJ who were commenting on the article written yesterday by Joanna Stern who, as we all know, won't likely be writing about nuclear fission anytime soon and is - we must come to grips with that - representative of most phone users and customers.

BlackBerry Priv Review: BlackBerry May Win You Back With Android - WSJ

Paul Billings 10 hours ago
    How did this JOANNA STERN person even get a job writing articles for the WSJ?

As she said, "I don’t know anyone who owns a BlackBerry anymore. Not a single person"

Let’s see, she lives in and works in NYC the US financial capital and works for the US's largest business newspaper but she doesn't know one single higher-up at a law firm, at senior executive at a large US bank or a single DoD employee or a higher-up government official as they all carry Blackberries.

Her bias to All Things Apple would make former WSJ columnist Walt Mossberg so happy.

She needs to go to CNET or Engadget where she can keep writing articles reviewing Selfie Sticks as she has done in the past for the WSJ.

This used to be a business newspaper but every day it seems more consumeristic in it's articles. So sad

David Soto 5 hours ago
    @Paul Billings

Newsflash: Joanna Stern is right! Blackberry devices have been largely abandoned in most corporations and the BYOD model rules. Companies in and around NYC use IOS and Android devices because phones do more than make calls and send emails. Apps are what now dominate smartphone usage, and corporations are spending big on mobile apps for their customers, sales staff and employees. As a person who works for a fortune 500 company and have over 20 years of IT experience, I have seen the changes in tech use by my firm, its competitors and our clients and suppliers. Blackberry, because of its limited app adoption by software developers, has relegated their previous phones to the dust bin of history. It is surprising that Blackberry took this long to adopt Android as a platform where their corporate customers can continue to use BB devices and develop software for it.

Paul Billings 5 minutes ago
    @David Soto @Paul Billings Ok here is something that I think we can both agree upon since you have been in the corporate IT space for 20+ years - Apple Macintosh and Apple iOS devices especially are the biggest pains in the **** to have to support on a corporate network.

Every single video output on a Mac or iOS device has HDCP copy protection on by default and with iOS devices you can't disable it - therefore you can't ever connect and iOS device up to a professional h.323 codec on the content port.

Apple AirPlay is a joke compared to Miracast (which every other platform uses) as AirPlay requires a corporate IT departments to open up over 1400 TCP/UDP port numbers to make AirPlay work and then Bonjour tries to crawl all over your network.

Every Apple device requires some expensive and proprietary dongle to make it attach to anything.

Apple Mac laptop devices don't truly output 1080p as they add extra pixels which tend to cause issues when attaching Mac laptops to conference room video systems and scalers can help but not always.

And my favorite Apple issue the automatic updates which you have no way to stop with MDM software so that your iOS users blow away all of your corporate VPN and corporate software settings whenever Apple pushes a major OS update out.

But obviously this WSJ reporter can't cover items like these or heck look at what she shows in this article a photo comparison between various phones. Business people use their mobile smart phones for a lot more than just taking pictures.

Also we can probably both agree on the fact that who really needs apps when you have a real web browser that takes you everywhere you need to go. Can you imagine on a desktop computer if you needed to load an app to go anywhere? Plus you can sideload any Android app you want.
    The reality is that aside from BB's past sales/marketing failures, the app issue problem associated to BB10 and the status symbol aspect of the iPhone, one could argue that most people not only want a rather simple OS but also aren't suited (perhaps way more often than we think) to anything which may well be more sophisticated and technologically clever but may also be slightly more difficult to get accustomed to, require a steeper learning curve, etc. So they need/want something which most of us would consider outdated. But, as SF said, one could hope that the Priv and the interest that it will generate will lead some of them 1) to discover that there is an alternative and 2) to see the light. Although, to be fair, that app gap problem would still remain and, for most, that would still be a dealbreaker. So, why not envision a future where BB could offer both solutions, a Droid based one "for the less technically inclined" and another one, "for the more savvy user". And, ideally, sales of the first would sustain the second... And then, I wake up!

BTW, anxious to find out more about what JC was referring to yesterday, in his Fox interview (at 0:23: BlackBerry CEO on new phone | On Air Videos | Fox Business)

"... and we have a range of products after this, you know, it's actually quite exciting..."
    11-07-15 09:36 AM
    FWIW I went to a Rogers store in my town yesterday afternoon and asked about the PRIV, was told that it was sold out in all the stores in the area.
    sidhuk, Corbu, rarsen and 10 others like this.
    11-07-15 09:58 AM
    FWIW I went to a Rogers store in my town yesterday afternoon and asked about the PRIV, was told that it was sold out in all the stores in the area.
    I saw that coming. Some costco stores had it too.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen and Superfly_FR like this.
    11-07-15 10:04 AM
    Brought my Passport along to my little brothers basketball game today and the I overheard the kids in the stands ask among themselves, "is that a BlackBerry" ....they seemed intrigued.

Attachment 379423

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    Heinz Katchup and sidhuk like this.
    11-07-15 10:16 AM
113,256 ... 36663667366836693670 ...