View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    It's a given that any deal would require jobs and net benefits to remain.... including head office jobs in Waterloo. MS has long standing relationship with university of Waterloo... In fact, they hire more CS grads from there than any other university in the world... MS and BBRY have good synergies.... Canadian Government would be most friendly to US powerhouse Microsoft than other foreign options... no Canadian company will come to the table.... they (MS) would be well received... all other conditions being met....

Posted via CB10
    With multi billion dollar buyouts, I don't think anything is a "given". It's a given that it would be in the contract, but's it's also a given that the net benefit to MS for paying the fine vs keeping the operations going could be better. Hell, they just wrote down billions of dollars not so long ago yet they are now trading at all time highs. I wouldn't take anything they say and/or promise at face value.
    CDM76 likes this.
    11-04-15 05:13 PM
    The BlackBerry brand has has been tarnished over the years, but they're still a niche player with lots of potential. If Google steps in, "BlackBerry" would become popular again; hence, Waterloo will go boom. Canada has nothing to lose.

Just airing my two cents.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jbfair728; 11-04-15 at 10:25 PM.
    11-04-15 05:14 PM
    Hahahahahaha... I love the MS rumor return. We should mark the rumor cycles. Still, MSFT remains the most obvious/natural and recurring option mentioned by those rumor-ers

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 05:20 PM
    The volume and price action don't indicate a buyout of any sort. But it does make me wonder why the delay in PRIV release. The price is back at $7.75, if it was a buyout the price would be well over $8.00.
    11-04-15 05:21 PM
    The BlackBerry brand has has been tarnished over the years, but they're still a niche player with lots of potential. If Google steps in, "BlackBerry" would become popular again; hence, Ontario will go boom. Canada has nothing to lose.

Just airing my two cents.

Posted via CB10
    Google is already a large presence here in Waterloo and has been for years. Nothing would "blowup" aside from the sp. Remember Motorola?

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen, 3MIKE and 2 others like this.
    11-04-15 05:33 PM
    The volume and price action don't indicate a buyout of any sort. But it does make me wonder why the delay in PRIV release. The price is back at $7.75, if it was a buyout the price would be well over $8.00.
    The price fell to $ 7.75 on only 4 shares that's $ 31.00. You want a real offer for the company not some pie in the sky run in after hours. No one seems to be too interested in selling tonight so let's wait until tomorrow and see if the stock gets halted first! I want it to happen legally, not by some leak. You are right, a delay in the phone, a solid rally in the stock and now this ..................... GL
    lech31, rarsen, 3MIKE and 5 others like this.
    11-04-15 05:44 PM
    I think we have gone too far. BlackBerry is not for sale especially it just starts executing its path to $100 at this moment. Any buyout offer is opportunistic. And any other thought of sale is short sighted. I wish everyone here load more shares sooner than later. Once Priv is successful then low and mid tier phone with all touch devices will be released. I don't wish the rumors added any noise to the BlackBerry 's go-to-market execution.

Presented to you by real phone - Passport
    11-04-15 05:46 PM
    Apple would have to pay too much tax or else deplete the limited funds they actually hold in NA. lol Realistically though, I don't see BB benefiting the game plan of Apple. MS could benefit from the device management and Google could benefit from the device/OS security. As for the Canadian Gov blocking the sale, I could see it happening since even though we are friendly neighbours, we don't want the US having unbridled access to our Gov communications. If it were me, I'd be extremely cautious of that sort of sale. Of course, there would be the stipulation that the headquarters of BB remain in Waterloo and jobs are maintained for a minimum predetermined time. Look what happened to their NOK purchase. Thousands lost there jobs thanks to MS so they'd have to be a "tad" more gracious this time around.
    LOL, you're right...Apple has operated darn near tax free in Ireland since 1980. Regarding Gov approval for a BB sale, there certainly would be many strings attached to any deal. BB would be viewed as a strategic asset. Here is some history I found regarding sale of Canadian companies, some blocked and others approved with conditions. It's a few years old but still of interest.

7 foreign takeovers that shook up Canadian business - Business - CBC News

Foreign takeovers of prominent Canadian companies make headlines when they are proposed. They frequently draw opposition from economic nationalists and labour groups, but are rarely blocked by the federal government.

Calgary-based oil and gas producer Nexen Inc.announced Monday that it has agreed to be purchased for $15.1 billion US by the China National Offshore Oil Co. (CNOOC), which is owned by the Chinese government.

Nexen is Canada�s 12th largest energy company. The proposed takeover must be approved by shareholders and the federal government, which will consider whether a takeover is of "net benefit" to Canada.

The threshold that triggers a government review of a takeover is a company asset value of $330 million, although the government plans to raise that to $1 billion over the next four years, Industry Minister Christian Paradis said in May.

Some other notable foreign takeovers of Canadian companies include:

Swiss-based Glencore International PLC receives approval from the Canadian government on July 15, 2012, for its $6.1-billion bid to take over Viterra Inc., a Regina-based agribusiness. Glencore expects to complete the deal after a review by regulators in China, Australia and New Zealand, where Viterra has operations.

Brazilian mining giant Vale acquires Toronto-based Inco, the world�s second-largest nickel producer company, for $19.4 billion in 2007.
    U.K.�s Rio Tinto takes over mining and aluminum company Alcan in a $38-billion US deal in 2007

Swiss company Xstrata acquires Toronto-based copper and nickel mining company Falconbridge in a 2006 deal that values the company at approximately $24.1 billion.

U.S. Steel Corp. takes over Canadian steel-maker Stelco in 2007. The federal government sued U.S. Steel after it said the company failed to live up to promises it made to maintain investment in Canada. A settlement was reached in December 2011 under which U.S. Steel will maintain Canadian operations until at least 2015 and make a further investment of $40.7 million.

Graphics chipmaker ATI Technologies based in Markham, Ont., is acquired by U.S. company Advanced Micro Devices in October 2006 in a deal valued at $5.6 billion US.

The Caterpillar Inc. takeover of locomotive builder Electro-Motive in London, Ont., in 2010 is questioned when Caterpillar closes the plant permanently in February 2012, after failing to obtain demands workers accept pay cuts as deep as 50 per cent.

Foreign takeovers of Canadian companies reviewed under the Investment Canada Act have almost always received approval. There have been two exceptions in recent years.

Australian company BHP Billiton withdrew its $40-billion takeover bid for the Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan in November 2010 after the Canadian government ruled it would not provide a net benefit for the company.

MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd., the Canadian space and satellite technology company that developed the robot arm for the space station, was the target of a $1.3-billion takeover attempt by Alliant Techsystems of Minnesota. The federal government blocked the sale of the company, which was considered a strategic asset for Canada.
    morganplus8, 3MIKE, W Hoa and 3 others like this.
    11-04-15 05:51 PM
    The price fell to $ 7.75 on only 4 shares that's $ 31.00. You want a real offer for the company not some pie in the sky run in after hours. No one seems to be too interested in selling tonight so let's wait until tomorrow and see if the stock gets halted first! I want it to happen legally, not by some leak. You are right, a delay in the phone, a solid rally in the stock and now this ..................... GL
    @Morgan sir

Can you please elaborate on the price that is being offered based on rumors? I believe it's $15 which includes their BlackBerry cash? If so then that is dirt cheap?
    And I can't get my head around stocks buy back program when BlackBerry are planning to sell off the company.

I hope the offer is more than $15 otherwise it's pity!

#BBFactCheck
    11-04-15 06:04 PM
    I really like that part about "pie in the sky run".
    morganplus8 likes this.
    11-04-15 06:07 PM
    @Morgan sir

Can you please elaborate on the price that is being offered based on rumors? I believe it's $15 which includes their BlackBerry cash? If so then that is dirt cheap?
    And I can't get my head around stocks buy back program when BlackBerry are planning to sell off the company.

I hope the offer is more than $15 otherwise it's pity!

#BBFactCheck
    Chen has stated that he needs something above $ 15.00 and Prem has made that claim in the past. The stock price would have to include a decent return to Prem so $ 15.00 isn't going to cut it. If typical buyouts occur at 30% - 70% premiums, you need to have the stock rally before it is halted in order to get to those levels. Knowing that a 70% premium to our close today won't buy BBRY, we won't see anything that's meaningful until the stock is higher, say $ 10.00 which is a ways from here. I don't believe in any offer until the stock hits $ 10.00 or more and that will include the launch of the Priv. We just aren't anywhere near the price needed for the stock to be halted and a winning bid is tabled. Prem will want closer to $ 17.00 to even look at it and his group control all the shares they need to wait for that. Now, as soon as the stock approaches that $ 10.00 level, it is fair game of course. I don't see anything in this until the stock pops hard from this low level.
    3MIKE, cjcampbell, ZayDub and 9 others like this.
    11-04-15 06:12 PM
    Hey guys,
    Really interesting discussion here Re: buyout potential; although I fear we may be getting ahead of ourselves a little bit. I mean how many rumors of this kind have been floated about BBRY over the past few years? As a shareholder, I really do hope that there is no buyout offer this early in the turnaround. I remember the few minutes when that Samsung rumor seemed so legit, I thought to myself, man this is a shame. Like on the one hand, boom that's a pretty darn nice return from where the stock sits (then or now), but then you sort of wonder what if?

Anyway, I don't personally see an offer coming this early. But, if the hardware division can be sustainable and the software division (+ possible additional acquisitions) can start looking really solid and growing, I would not be at all surprised to see a nice offer come in. The skeptic in me also looks to Chen's options, which don't pay out until next year or is it the year after?

Also - I think the phone delay is just a phone delay. Seems the most logical. Hoping due to demand or something, but still just a delay.

And on the off chance that I'm wrong and that an offer is imminent, please give me a couple of days as I have been waiting to top up my share total!
    11-04-15 06:41 PM
    Thanks for your reply and knowledge.

#BBFactCheck
    11-04-15 06:47 PM
    If it's not a net gain to Canada, and losing thousands of jobs, investment income, tax income, and GDP isn't, then it's not a good fit. Again, look what they did to Nokia with the handset division. After that debacle, any foreign gov would have a second, third, ,and fourth look into the net benefit of a purchase from MS.

Mind you, if it was the current Ontario Gov, they'd jump all over it for a dollar less than the current sp for the quick fix.... wait.... was that too political?
    MSFT has always hired a lot from Waterloo, and now with a 30% cheaper CAD it's likely they'd want to build their presence here rather than move jobs to the US. There's also a new government, so it might actually fly, if real

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 07:34 PM
    Anyone have any idea about the secret marketing campaign after PRIV is launched?

#BBFactCheck
    11-04-15 08:48 PM
    Anyone have any idea about the secret marketing campaign after PRIV is launched?

#BBFactCheck

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 09:00 PM
    11-04-15 09:51 PM
    We need to have our data under our control. Period.

Our data should be stored in an area (cloud) where we have absolute governance over it. It should provide the ability for services to access it (via APIs) and we can say what a service is able to access and what it can't. We should be able to revoke all access or modify access. Our data is OURS only. It is NOT someone else's profit generator.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 09:59 PM
    Are there any sites which track mobile platform 0-day exploits?

I'd love to know what platforms have failed to patch known vulnerabilities. Especially these android forkers who seem to be well behind the curve when it comes to having an updated platform.

It'd be nice to see something like this:
    Android: 5 exploits
    Samsung: 20 exploits

Something like a threat factor site.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    11-04-15 10:04 PM
    that's some interesting stuff right there!

Posted with a Red Passport
    11-04-15 10:10 PM
    So I think that link was discussing Google revealing some Samsung security flaws. I found this to be quite interesting timing, to say the least. There's a few options obviously. The timing could be a coincidence, it could be a warning to Samsung to get their act together if Google feels that they aren't taking it seriously enough, or it could be a precursor to some future endorsement of BlackBerry's hardware and software implementation of Android.

I can only assume Corbu has already posted this, but for those who may have not seen it yet -
    Google reveals Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge's security flaws - BBC News

Google has highlighted 11 security flaws in Samsung's flagship Android handset, the Galaxy S6 Edge.

The vulnerabilities include a loophole that could have been used by hackers to gain control of a victim's phone.

Most of the issues were fixed after Google notified Samsung, but some have yet to be addressed.
    CDM76, Corbu, morganplus8 and 4 others like this.
    11-04-15 10:25 PM
    kind of related, it was more about the fact that it's a big coincidence that Google would ''bash'' on Samsung flaws two days prior Priv launch.

11-04-15 10:29 PM
    kind of related, it was more about the fact that it's a big coincidence that Google would ''bash'' on Samsung flaws two days prior Priv launch.

Right. At the absolute minimum here, it is a fact that Google knows the PRIV is about to go public and is touting security/privacy as a selling feature through both hardware and software elements. So it is easily a warning shot to Samsung with the potential that it is both a warning shot and a precursor to a future PRIV endorsement. A guy can hope right?
    Corbu, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    11-04-15 10:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    Aren't you the eternal optimist. If there is ANY sort of marketing to the masses I'll be pleasantly surprised. And I don't mean their Facebook page and word of mouth. I mean real nitty gritty marketing and advertising. Something that will make BlackBerry spoken about around the supper table and drive people to the stores to check out the new PRIV device !!!!!

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell likes this.
    11-04-15 10:37 PM
    it all makes sense, Ive read something about Priv coming with full disk encryption (something along those lines) and I remember reading that Google would ''force/suggest'' that type of encryption as default to ''pass'' android certification.

11-04-15 10:39 PM
113,251 ... 36563657365836593660 ...