View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Requires compatible device, I assume Priv.

Also see the DTEK app in there.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ivacydashboard

Interesting to note that all of these new apps appear to be free.

Edit: oops now I see they had that in the original link as well. My bad
    10-26-15 03:14 PM
    On one side I don't like the shorts get out so easily, while on the other side I respect shorts they have been right for so long. Upon the sign of shorts getting out, I hope we can finally have a lasting rally ride.

Presented to you by real phone - Passport
    10-26-15 03:17 PM
    Various general OT from Related Technologies and Security files:

While US and UK governments oppose encryption, Germany promotes it. Why? | ZDNet

Apple is turning iOS into an iTunes-like mess | ZDNet

And one of many photos taken while traveling last week in Brazil with my very useful Passport. (Note: what may look like slight photo lack of resolution is caused by mist from the falls).
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151019_090703_hdr.jpg
    Corbu, W Hoa, La Emperor and 13 others like this.
    10-26-15 03:24 PM
    https://www.blackberrycentral.com/ne...uncher-google/
    BlackBerry Keyboard, Launcher & exFAT Listed In Google Play
    YES!!!!! BlackBerry Keyboard app!!!!

Blend + Priv ? (seems that's the client for now)
    would be a SuperDuper WIN !

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    Corbu, morganplus8, W Hoa and 3 others like this.
    10-26-15 03:25 PM
    I think that this is the normal version of Blend ie. viewing emails, SMS from your BB10 phone on an Android tablet. Note the Jul 8, 2015 last update. Hopefully they are working on a Blend for Android app though.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-26-15 03:29 PM
    Short numbers Big drop
    10/15/2015 77,804,445
    09/30/2015 87,748,744

Down 10M shares short, lowest in quite a while

Posted via CB10
    Anyone have a link of a longer term short interest history of BBRY? NASDAQ website dates only go back a year and it doesn't show a time where the short interest was this low.
    10-26-15 04:05 PM
    Shorts as percent of float

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-chart.png
    lech31, sidhuk, rarsen and 11 others like this.
    10-26-15 04:34 PM
    FWIW
    Blackberry's (BBRY) Premium Priced Priv May Provide Short Term Gains from Inflated Price - Wells Fargo

October 26, 2015 2:24 PM
    BlackBerry (BBRY) began accepting pre-orders for its new Android-based handset, Priv. The price is $699 for an unlocked handset in the U.S.. The handset ships November 6th on GSM networks (AT&T and TMobile). This gives the company nearly 4 weeks to fill the channel before quarter end. In addition to the US, the phone is also available for pre-order in Canada and the U.K..

Wells Fargo Analyst, Maynard Um, believes the high ASP could impact demand elasticity. However, "every $20 increase in ASP would increase revenues by $17MM/3.4% and EPS by half a penny, all else equal".

No change to Market Perform rating.

Posted via CB10
    Is fulfilment of pre-orders considered sell-through as shipped? Curious how this will work on the q books...

Posted via CB10
    zlatno likes this.
    10-26-15 04:39 PM
    What about BBM video call and screen share? Will we get those features on Priv?
    CDM76 and zlatno like this.
    10-26-15 05:14 PM
    What about BBM video call and screen share? Will we get those features on Priv?
    Good question, but I doubt it. That would indicate they could release an android version of bbm for any Android device with BBM Video call. You never know though...maybe there's a secret plan to use the Priv launch as a platform to sell an Android version of BBM Meetings lite that comes native on the Priv or free for a year...

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 05:26 PM
    Shorts as percent of float

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chart.png 
Views:	2136 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	377590
    Thanks W Hoa!!

Do you have the US equivalent of that chart? Sorry, it looks like they are missing plenty of short positions in this data. I seem to remember when we were approaching 168 MM shares short. In Canada it is around 17 MM today.

Thanks again!

OOPS! That's what happens when you are trying to multi-task! I see now that they are giving a percentage of the float which is around 528 MM shares so that chart is correct. So we peaked at 35% of the float or 184.8 MM shares short in the US and a similar ratio for Canada. Thanks
    Last edited by morganplus8; 10-26-15 at 06:35 PM.
    Corbu, W Hoa, 3MIKE and 4 others like this.
    10-26-15 05:51 PM
    Is fulfilment of pre-orders considered sell-through as shipped? Curious how this will work on the q books...

Posted via CB10
    Nope, we aren't Apple, BlackBerry has been using sales to end users for the past few quarters now, as soon as they stabilize hardware sales, they can go back to product in the pipeline. Too bad the analysts still haven't figured this out yet. Now if we could stuff the pipeline the way Apple has with dusty iWatches in inventory, we would be rich under their accounting practices!
    10-26-15 06:17 PM
    Anyone have a link of a longer term short interest history of BBRY? NASDAQ website dates only go back a year and it doesn't show a time where the short interest was this low.
    https://ycharts.com/companies/BBRY/short_interest

Try that for going back to Sep 2013, and you can get a free trial if you want it for a longer time frame until 1999.

AAPL BTW went up from 87M to 90M shares short
    See the link to most shorted companies, BBRY is #7
    http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/pag...highlites.html
    Also see attached chart where I have in white near the bottom (short interest) vs. the stock price in yellow in a Monthly format going back to 1999
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-si-monthly.jpg

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 06:31 PM
    https://ycharts.com/companies/BBRY/short_interest

Try that for going back to Sep 2013, and you can get a free trial if you want it for a longer time frame until 1999.

Also see attached chart where I have in white near the bottom (short interest) vs. the stock price in yellow in a Monthly format going back to 1999
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBRY SI monthly.JPG 
Views:	2119 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	377611

Posted via CB10
    YCharts definitely has better data then the NASDAQ website. Thank-you. Sadly my trial ended with them recently.

Which software do use for charting?
    10-26-15 06:46 PM
    10-26-15 07:09 PM
    Requires compatible device, I assume Priv.
    Initially, I thought that these apps being added to the Play store implied that they will be available to all Android devices. I guess this is just a good way of providing quicker updates to existing Priv apps for the time being. Good to know - and also a good idea.

Not sure if this has already been posted; but I haven't seen it.

Blackberry has always been a joke to me, but the Priv is different.
    Why the Blackberry Priv Matters [Opinion] | Droid Life

I'll say it again, interesting times...
    10-26-15 11:27 PM
    Short volume:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151026_231423_edit.png

Year:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151026_231327_edit.png
    rarsen, morganplus8 and JLagoon like this.
    10-27-15 01:16 AM
    Nope, we aren't Apple, BlackBerry has been using sales to end users for the past few quarters now, as soon as they stabilize hardware sales, they can go back to product in the pipeline. Too bad the analysts still haven't figured this out yet. Now if we could stuff the pipeline the way Apple has with dusty iWatches in inventory, we would be rich under their accounting practices!
    Yeah but if the initial shipments are being sold directly into paid pre-orders isn't that considered sell-through that will hit this quarter's books? I'm not talking about inventory.
    10-27-15 01:48 AM
    Let's be honest.

A $700 Android phone with a few features very few want will not outsell a fully loaded $600 phone that has everything a person would actually want.
    Weren't people paying USD$100 for the Typo attachment to the iPhone? And that was a POS. So you're telling us that no one will pay an extra $100 for a touch sensitive keyboard?
    BTW, the PRIV seems to be fully loaded. Right down to the camera, which has never been a BB strenght.
    10-27-15 01:52 AM
    I've been in BB(RY) since DEC 2012 and I don't remember the Short Interest being this low.

I was hoping it would stay high so that there would be a little bit of an explosion if ever there was really good news. People must have unloaded when the SP was at $6-something.
    10-27-15 01:58 AM
    Yeah but if the initial shipments are being sold directly into paid pre-orders isn't that considered sell-through that will hit this quarter's books? I'm not talking about inventory.
    I would assume so If a sale consists of 1) payment 2) delivery of goods ; BlackBerry or the carrier will have nearly 4 weeks to fulfill the second requirement. I'm unsure if the pre-orders will have a big impact on this quarter's results as we have yet to see the first review of PRIV. Once those are released, together with *some* carrier support and info about BlackBerry's strategy with the productivity/experience suite, we'll have a much better idea if there's a place for them in hardware going forward. I'm starting to believe there is!
    10-27-15 04:52 AM
    Here is the official explanation. The short of it is that they won't see much of anything this quarter aside from Shop-BlackBerry sales and deliveries I guess:

Revenue Recognition

The Company recognizes revenue as earned when the following four criteria have been met: (i) when persuasive evidence of an arrangement exists, (ii) the product has been delivered to a customer and title has been transferred or the services have been rendered, (iii) the sales price is fixed or determinable, and (iv) collection is reasonably assured. In addition to this general policy, the following paragraphs describe the specific revenue recognition policies for each of the Company’s major categories of revenue.

Hardware

Revenue for hardware products is recognized when the four criteria noted above are met. The determination of when the price is fixed or determinable can affect the timing of revenue recognition, as discussed further below.

The Company records reductions to revenue for estimated commitments related to price protection, rights of return and customer incentive programs. Price protection is accrued as a reduction to revenue provided that (i) the future price reduction can be reliably estimated or based on contractual caps, (ii) the Company has not granted refunds in excess of those caps, and (iii) all other revenue recognition criteria have been met. If refunds cannot be reliably estimated or the contractual cap is no longer valid, revenue is not recognized until reliable estimates can be made or the price protection period lapses. The Company also records reductions to revenue for rights of return based on contractual terms and conditions as it relates to quality defects only and, if the expected product returns can be reasonably and reliably estimated, based on historical experience. Where a right of return cannot be reasonably and reliably estimated, the Company recognizes revenue when the product sells through to an end user or the return period lapses. The estimated cost of customer incentive programs is accrued as a reduction to revenue and is recognized at the later of the date at which the Company has recognized the revenue or the date at which the program is offered. If historical experience cannot support a breakage rate, the maximum rebate amount is accrued and adjusted when the incentive programs end. The Company considers several factors in determining whether it can reliably estimate future refunds or customer incentives such as levels of channel inventory, new competitor introductions, the stage of a product in the product life cycle, and potential cannibalization by future product offerings. If there is a risk of future pricing concessions and a reliable estimate cannot be made at the time of shipment, the Company recognizes the related revenue and costs of goods sold when its products are sold through to an end user.

For shipments where the Company recognizes revenue when the product is sold through to an end user, the Company determines the point at which that happens based upon internally generated reporting indicating when the devices are activated on the Company’s relay infrastructure.

Significant judgment is applied by the Company to determine whether shipments of devices have met the Company’s revenue recognition criteria, as the analysis is dependent on many facts and circumstances. Commencing in fiscal 2016,"
    10-27-15 08:44 AM
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/could-...133601123.html

To answer the article's question, "Could BlackBerry Exit Its Smartphone Business Next Year?"... YES

What another joke of an article. Which seems to be consistent with Mr. Sikka's previous publishings.

I have another question. "Could BlackBerry's latest devices drive sales far beyond expectations leading to a rebound in revenues and future growth in it's the handset business?"... YES

Let's revisit these questions in one year and see which answer is correct.
    10-27-15 08:53 AM
    Actually, the answer to his article is "No"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better...w_of_headlines

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/could-...133601123.html

To answer the article's question, "Could BlackBerry Exit Its Smartphone Business Next Year?"... YES

What another joke of an article. Which seems to be consistent with Mr. Sikka's previous publishings.

I have another question. "Could BlackBerry's latest devices drive sales far beyond expectations leading to a rebound in revenues and future growth in it's the handset business?"... YES

Let's revisit these questions in one year and see which answer is correct.
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    10-27-15 09:18 AM
    Awesome, BTW!

We should send the following quote to Mr. Sikka and his peers :

A headline with a question mark at the end means, in the vast majority of cases, that the story is tendentious or over-sold. It is often a scare story, or an attempt to elevate some run-of-the-mill piece of reporting into a national controversy and, preferably, a national panic. To a busy journalist hunting for real information a question mark means 'don't bother reading this bit'.
    10-27-15 09:28 AM
113,256 ... 36393640364136423643 ...