View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Aren't the pricing for the Priv readily available? It's �579.99 and has been advertised at that price for over a week now...I'm confused about the confusion there.

Posted via CB10
    Pricing in Canada, the US, and Europe will not be the same. Resellers also have different prices.

Now that I think about it, ShopBlackBerry is usually cheaper than Rogers to buy outright. Could be priced better than expected.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 12:29 PM
    OK, perhaps I'm sleepy and need coffee.

Isn't Nadim just responding to himself in the screenshot and indicating that the pricing is $799 off-contract?

It's not @RogersHelps responding.
    smart548 and 2vince6 like this.
    10-21-15 12:31 PM
    Pricing on the Priv seems fair for what you get vs the other big players. My concern is the others have built up their reputation. BlackBerry still has to do that before people will buy at those prices. I hope I'm wrong. My wife recently purchased her first Android phone the S5. She chose it over the newer S6 because of price, removable battery, and expandable memory. The memory card feature on the Priv is a huge bonus but they need to be priced slightly under the others to get the sales.
    You are giving us, solely, the Retail Consumer approach to this phone for which it wasn't designed to be sold to that market in the first place. This is an Android phone, no app gap, no keyboard gap, great hardware specs, really well locked down, and, some unique OS features to boot. They aren't trying to swing iPhone users back to BlackBerry, they aren't trying to convince your teenager to buy this phone, they are providing a solution for Android phone users to try something entirely new though. I think the phone will make its way into retail hands, especially at these price points, I think they are at the inflection point for most consumers now. You might not like spending a little bit more but it is you who will have to place the phone in your hand and decide if "something new" is important enough to you or whether the same old thing is okay. Given that the CDN dollar is in the toilet, I believe this left them with very little wiggle room to make a profit at all levels. Given the state of the CDN dollar, I'm amazed they were able to bring it to Canada. Many seem to think that BlackBerry has a price to pay for its decisions in the past, that they don't have a right to make money because they haven't in the recent past, this is simply not the case. In fact, they have every right to test the market to see what their new products can/will bare. To this end, I think they are doing a great job, the foundation is there, I can't remember the last time we had so many venues to launch this product into, internet, carriers etc.. starting in the US. They will launch this product like any other, see how well the response is to it and act accordingly. My wife is like yours, she could never justify this phone, she would likely have gone with the S5 and not the newer version of anything as well, .... but I'm much different then she is about these things.
    10-21-15 12:41 PM
    Blackberry Leap Released in Indonesia | Feature | Tempo.Co :: Indonesian News Portal

Blackberry presents two of its latest smartphones in Indonesia, Blackberry Leap and Blackberry Passport Silver Edition, that both run Blackberry 10.3.2 platform.
    Props to BB Powered
    10-21-15 12:41 PM
    OT, but related, FYI :

The European Commission declared illegal the secret tax agreements ("rulings") awarded by the Luxembourg with Fiat and the Netherlands with Starbucks. This is very important because until now, these companies have concluded deals with tax-friendly states took refuge behind their legality. But today, the Commission condemns clearly stating the opposite. Next in line: Apple (Ireland) and Amazon (in Luxembourg).
    What does it mean ?

According to the Commission, the agreement between Fiat and Luxembourg allows the automaker to divide the reported amount of its profits by 20.
    *cough* *cough* Hard times in sight for "the other fruit". And good times for European finances !

OnT
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png

... thought this kind of scenario were Friday's ...
    Something I missed in the news ?
    10-21-15 12:44 PM
    OT help on HALO
    Thoughts on how this stock will behave on the runup to the ER next couple weeks?
    Posted via CB10
    I'll add my OT in HALO as well, as it's now skirting the $13 mark. How's it look?
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    10-21-15 12:44 PM
    Hi Morgan,

Good points on the Priv Price. Yep, the Canada dollar is going to make it more expensive for us Canucks, but thems the breaks

OT:HALO

I read you dumped all or most your HALO to get more BlackBerry.
    But I'm wondering if you have any advice or thoughts on HALO as it leads to their ER?

I have a small amount of shares that I got at $14.06 and have been watching it jump up and down the past couple weeks and I too want to convert some to BlackBerry as we prep for the Priv launch.

Thanks again for all of your great insights.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    10-21-15 12:49 PM
    I'll add my OT in HALO as well, as it's now skirting the $13 mark. How's it look?
    I sold my purchases from last week (purchased in the $ 13.50 - $13.57 range) but kept my $ 13.00 stuff, today I have bought back all of those sales and I'm full again with HALO. Hilary Clinton is taking it to pharma for the fun of it, she does this the same way she talks about women Presidents, she can because it is politically neutral and won't harm her. The reality is that she will not float anything through the US government that will change how we do business in pharma, but it is fun to bash them for now I guess. We will have to be patient here, likely a trading range between $ 13.00 and $ 15.00 for a couple of months at least. So trade it and be sure to own a bundle going into next year. That's my take on it.
    Corbu, q649, OlympusMons and 5 others like this.
    10-21-15 12:55 PM
    Ouch... look at VMware.. down another 22%
    10-21-15 01:02 PM
    Hi Morgan,

Good points on the Priv Price. Yep, the Canada dollar is going to make it more expensive for us Canucks, but thems the breaks

OT:HALO

I read you dumped all or most your HALO to get more BlackBerry.
    But I'm wondering if you have any advice or thoughts on HALO as it leads to their ER?

I have a small amount of shares that I got at $14.06 and have been watching it jump up and down the past couple weeks and I too want to convert some to BlackBerry as we prep for the Priv launch.

Thanks again for all of your great insights.

Posted via CB10
    Personally, I'm so relieved we aren't seeing a $ 899.00/cdn phone here! They stretched the price to the limit for my sensibilities so I can accept that. Sure, it would be nice if the currency was on par and we were getting the phone for $ 599.00 but that isn't reality of course. I felt they need one good looking Passport, not three, and a Classic to go with the Priv, anything else is for the mass markets. I hope they streamline their offering soon and price for profits.

Please see my comments on HALO, I really like the company, they have been very quiet lately with no licensing contracts, or updates etc.,. The stock is holding up rather well right now as pharma in general is taking it on the chin. The first real news on their pipeline comes in February of 2016 so we have to be satisfied with news on revenues at this point. I don't think they will disappoint us in the interim here but Hilary is the drag for now so I see us locked within a range as stated in my previous post. This is my take on the investment for now, I'll trade it and buy BBRY with the profits. GL
    OlympusMons, Corbu, sidhuk and 6 others like this.
    10-21-15 01:11 PM
    Personally, I'm so relieved we aren't seeing a $ 899.00/cdn phone here! They stretched the price to the limit for my sensibilities so I can accept that. Sure, it would be nice if the currency was on par and we were getting the phone for $ 599.00 but that isn't reality of course. I felt they need one good looking Passport, not three, and a Classic to go with the Priv, anything else is for the mass markets. I hope they streamline their offering soon and price for profits.

Please see my comments on HALO, I really like the company, they have been very quiet lately with no licensing contracts, or updates etc.,. The stock is holding up rather well right now as pharma in general is taking it on the chin. The first real news on their pipeline comes in February of 2016 so we have to be satisfied with news on revenues at this point. I don't think they will disappoint us in the interim here but Hilary is the drag for now so I see us locked within a range as stated in my previous post. This is my take on the investment for now, I'll trade it and buy BBRY with the profits. GL
    Thanks Morgan for your take on Priv and Halo. Yeah, The $13-15 seems range seems to be the trade in, I just need to take advantage of it. Thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    OlympusMons and morganplus8 like this.
    10-21-15 02:58 PM
    I can feel a lot of things moving.
    I believe we're setting our expectations re:delivery too high and then already expect finalized 'everything' to pop instantly in front of our eyes.
    There are ads (bb10 ) I've never seen before. People so busy at work they can't even answer my emails (and/or don't want to give any info, even by mistake).
    Give time to time. (I'm in for early Dec. BTW)

Posted via CB10
    SF, this would be a tough subscription to sell you? LoL

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-chronic-constipation.jpg
    10-21-15 03:18 PM
    Aren't the pricing for the Priv readily available? It's �579.99 and has been advertised at that price for over a week now...I'm confused about the confusion there.

Posted via CB10
    Guess who's back?
    BlackistheBerry likes this.
    10-21-15 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spiller View Post
    OT: Valeant drop and Citron Research allegations. Last time I tried to catch something on rumour I lost (sino-forest). This that was a chinese firm....and I think NA firms are a little bit tighter. So....who's gambling?

Ouch SINO. I eyed it for an entire week, waiting for the right time to enter, luckily never fount it.

VRX is a safer bet I think. Even if true, I think the negative impact is already priced in.
    We've had some great posts regarding the upcoming Priv release and I've enjoyed reading every tidbit from here whether they are speculative or factual...great job and many thanks to eveyone!

Now OT: Holy Sh*t ... it's been a nail biter with Valeant today and in the past 2-3 weeks with all the Biotechs and Pharmas. Saw that VRX took a plunge of $40 suddenly this morning on accusations from a "Short Seller" that VRX uses Enron style revenue reporting...hmmm does anyone smell a massive bear raid? ...bought in at $150 and missed my $165 sell target by $0.50 then watched it tank further through 2 halts within 3 hours down to $116 until Valeant came out with a response to try and squash the "Erroneous Report" to see the stock pop back up to $168 but took profit at $162.50 after learning a quick lesson after the scare to close off one of the craziest day trades.

Does Wall Street have something against every Canadian Tech/Biotech firm? Certainly feels that way when VRX can get attacked like this to bring it's stock down 40% in 3 hours. Bring back memories of the make believe BBRY report that more phones are being returned than purchased fiasco... how do these guys continually get away with this sort of thing?
    Last edited by OlympusMons; 10-21-15 at 05:06 PM.
    Corbu, morganplus8, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    10-21-15 03:25 PM
    Encouraging article from phonedog:

http://www.phonedog.com/2015/10/21/y...eds-blackberry

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, 3_M4N, sidhuk and 8 others like this.
    10-21-15 05:10 PM
    The many ways BlackBerry beefs up Android security on the Priv | ZDNet

The former darling of the smartphone world is bringing the best of its security heritage to Google Android at a time where data privacy and safety are in the spotlight.

It seems like there's a malware or security scare with Google Android on a near-weekly basis. Perhaps that's why Google has promised monthly security updates to its Nexus phones and is hoping that its hardware partners do the same.

It's also why now is as good a time as ever for BlackBerry to enter the Android market with its next smartphone, the BlackBerry Priv.

Details of the handset have been around for a while now, and from a hardware perspective, you can mostly expect what's found in other flagship Android phones. One key difference are the keys, though: The Priv's touchscreen display slides up to reveal the famous and much-loved BlackBerry keyboard.

The software, however, may be the bigger selling point; at least from a security standpoint.

BlackBerry is bringing its "Root of Trust" to Android, keeping unique crypto keys at the hardware level as a base to build on, for example. By providing such security at a lower level, the handset is more difficult to crack.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-blackberry-hardware-root-trust.png

Next up is BlackBerry's Verified Boot and Secure Bootchain to determine all layers -- from hardware to software -- haven't been compromised. The company also beefs up the Linux kernel used to enhance security at the operating system level.

Lastly is FIPS 140-2 compliant full disk encryption for data and applications. Google has been trying to enable disk encryption by default in Android for some time and even considered it for Android 5.0 devices in the past.

Earlier this week, the company finally made a line in the sand: All new Android 6.0 devices must support it although there's a catch: If a device doesn't meet certain performance requirements it can be exempted from full encryption by default.

Users can always enable it themselves, but a default option is far better and safer, provided their handset performance isn't too adversely affected.

While the Priv itself may not stand out from the multitudes of high-end Android phones, save for that keyboard, the security aspect screams "right time, right place" to me. When I initially heard about BlackBerry considering an Android phone, I didn't see that much upside. After all, don't we have a solid Google Android device for every budget these days?

BlackBerry is playing the Priv smart: Even the name alludes to "privacy." The more we hear about Google Android security scares, the more I think BlackBerry's security heritage and approach could bring a surprising number of handset sales, both to consumers and enterprise workers alike.
    10-21-15 07:38 PM
    Reserved the Priv on Rogers Business site. Position in Queue 25 of 25. Stoked.
    morganplus8, Corbu, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    10-21-15 07:41 PM
    Reserved the Priv on Rogers Business site. Position in Queue 25 of 25. Stoked.
    Can't wait either.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-21-15 08:07 PM
    10-21-15 08:12 PM
    10-21-15 08:50 PM
    Bizarre (and disappointing) price on ShopBlackBerry. Why is it $150 CAD more there than Rogers? $750 US will not sell many.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 08:57 PM
    $749 pre-order. So, price is official now.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 09:02 PM
    Howdy fellas. Just stopping in to ask if anyone else thinks that Google may license the BlackBerry DTEC system for all things Android?
    I was also wondering that if BlackBerry can't cut the hardware space, they could create cross platform security apps.
    As much as the latter bothers me, figure what kind of software revenue BlackBerry could siphon....

PS - I am so certain that BlackBerry will be successful, I have not even bothered to follow the stock this past two weeks. Even if we continue to shoot the rapids, I can't help having a strong positive feeling here.

Still holding.
    10-21-15 09:06 PM
    $749 pre-order. So, price is official now.

Posted via CB10
    Listed at $949 on the Canadian side. ShopBlackBerry Online Store - Products

Not sure how this is working if Rogers is saying $800. We'll see...

Edit: seems to be taken down? Might have been a little premature. They do like to keep us guessing, don't they
    Last edited by peteberry12; 10-21-15 at 09:33 PM.
    10-21-15 09:07 PM
    Just logged on CB and see all these links with prices but I don't see anything "PRIV" anywhere??

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-ss.png
    10-21-15 10:56 PM
113,256 ... 36293630363136323633 ...