Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side.jpg 
Views:	1069 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	376074

I doubt it will!
    OT. Frfiday.

No way. This phone has real screen lifting issues. By design
    Apparently some one already started a thread that priv is gonna have screen lifting issue as his passport. LMAO

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 01:59 PM
    I'm gone, it's not me, it's my double who's posting

BlackBerry recently started taking pre-reservations for the Priv, which is expected to be available in November across several Canadian carriers. In the video above the Priv is using a Rogers SIM card, so it was presumably filmed at the company’s Waterloo headquarters.
    BlackBerry shows off new Hub app in its own Priv hands-on video | MobileSyrup.com
    Corbu, Uzi, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    10-16-15 02:00 PM
    Go away, SF!

Enjoy your family, have a nice weekend and thank you for starting this thread as well as for your awesome dedication to the cause!

10-16-15 02:04 PM
    This phone has real screen lifting issues.
    Not only does this phone have screen lifting issues but... the screen is bent!!!
    sidhuk, 3MIKE, morganplus8 and 5 others like this.
    10-16-15 02:09 PM
    If the device is as good as it appears in this video, I hope it will mean their turnaround has been completed. Even with modest sales of 1,25 million per quarter hitting JC's 5 million goal on an annual basis, revenue is about to grow rapidly, not just quarter over quarter, but even year over year seems like it's not unreasonable now.

Comparing this to the earlier leaks, it shows no lack and makes you wonder how long it has been in the works for?! Something could be up between Google and BlackBerry, is it to keep Microsoft out of the game? Will they further enhance Android, both from a security/productivity standpoint?

Who again claimed BlackBerry has never been a software company? It seems to me that they've been almost always late to the game (except with BBOS), but never stopped innovating and enhancing where others did. That brings me back to my original question: how long has this been in development? Why did BlackBerry see the underserved Android segment, and for how long could this put them in front of the pack of current Android OEM's?

I hope they keep generating this amount of buzz. Who here truly expected a launch date before 30 Nov? I sure didn't. Underpromise (although confuse is probably a better word for what JC seems to do..) and overdeliver.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 02:18 PM
    I still find it interesting how a CEO (engineer at heart) manages to not show any functionality of a device during a supposed 'demo'. JC never opened a single app during the Amber interview. Heck, it seemed he had trouble finding the back button while probably thinking to himself that he should not show anything besides the hardware. I liked Amber's reaction too when she decided to pull the device out of his hands to show it in close-up....

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, lech31, La Emperor and 1 others like this.
    10-16-15 02:37 PM
    If the device is as good as it appears in this video, I hope it will mean their turnaround has been completed. Even with modest sales of 1,25 million per quarter hitting JC's 5 million goal on an annual basis, revenue is about to grow rapidly, not just quarter over quarter, but even year over year seems like it's not unreasonable now.

Comparing this to the earlier leaks, it shows no lack and makes you wonder how long it has been in the works for?! Something could be up between Google and BlackBerry, is it to keep Microsoft out of the game? Will they further enhance Android, both from a security/productivity standpoint?

Who again claimed BlackBerry has never been a software company? It seems to me that they've been almost always late to the game (except with BBOS), but never stopped innovating and enhancing where others did. That brings me back to my original question: how long has this been in development? Why did BlackBerry see the underserved Android segment, and for how long could this put them in front of the pack of current Android OEM's?

I hope they keep generating this amount of buzz. Who here truly expected a launch date before 30 Nov? I sure didn't. Underpromise (although confuse is probably a better word for what JC seems to do..) and overdeliver.

Posted via CB10
    Good points. I think it will be interesting to see if the buzz continues. Maybe it'll even move up in Google Trends

I certainly am interested in the hardware and if it is as awesome as it looks on these videos. But, I'm even more curious on the software side of things in terms of the level of cooperation with Google, security features, etc. This is the side of things that could get quite interesting, hypothetically. I mean if there are major additions here, it is not out of the realm of possibility that a major OEM may license the BlackBerry version of Android, which opens up a lot of appealing revenue streams going forward. Can't wait to see what happens here.
    morganplus8, sidhuk, Corbu and 3 others like this.
    10-16-15 02:37 PM
    A couple things: I would love to see BlackBerry bring the BlackBerry Experience Suite onto each platform - and by this I mean offering the Hub, Blend, etc. for Android, iOS, and Windows Phone; each purchasable and downloadable from their respective app stores. I seem to recall this being the plan a ways back, but my memory isn't great - does anyone know more?

Secondly, I'm there's been a decent amount of hype around the phone, which is good. There are currently 3 threads about the Priv on the front page of www.reddit.com/r/android

Edit: I can't make links work :/
    Posted via CB10
    Corbu, bungaboy, ZayDub and 1 others like this.
    10-16-15 02:55 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-privacy-priv-static.png

How PRIV Sets the Bar for Android Privacy | Inside BlackBerry
    David Kleidermacher

If you use an Android device today, chances are very good that it’s not protecting your privacy. According to a study published earlier this week by Cambridge University researchers, nearly 9 out of 10 Android devices are exposed to a critical vulnerability that puts your communications and personal data at risk.

It’s not a good situation. However, we at BlackBerry think we can do better. PRIV™ by BlackBerry� will bring BlackBerry mobile privacy, security and productivity to the Android world. With full access to Google Mobile Services, the Google Play app store, the latest hardware specs, and a revolutionary slide-out, touch-enabled keyboard, PRIV offers a no-compromise user experience to privacy-minded consumers and enterprises.

But what does privacy really mean for BlackBerry and the PRIV? The BlackBerry secure and private smartphone experience is built on the following principles:

1. Deliver a comprehensive, state-of-the-art technical security approach through all layers of the smartphone stack.

While the PRIV user interface is simple and beautiful, BlackBerry has performed extensive surgery under the hood to augment Android’s privacy and security capabilities. BlackBerry also brings its patented picture-login to Android, representing the best combination of security strength and ease of use for any smartphone authentication scheme available on any mobile device today.

2. Ensure users have a rich choice of private communication and collaboration applications.

Starting with BBM, which has served billions of private messages and offers security and productivity features evolving from many years of user feedback, PRIV also supports innumerable third-party options from Google Play as well as a wide range of BlackBerry-authored communication and collaboration applications aimed at business users, including WatchDox private file sharing, BBM Meetings private conferences, and SecuSUITE private voice calls. BlackBerry’s communications suites have no back doors and use certified cryptography from BlackBerry Certicom.

3. Give users maximum visibility and control over their privacy-related posture and configuration.

BlackBerry has built privacy monitoring hooks deep within Android that provide users with powerful feedback and control over how applications make use of security-critical device resources. This includes the exclusive DTEK™ by BlackBerry warning system app, as well as other features. Privacy health is communicated in a simple and elegant manner, resulting in confidence instead of complexity.

4. Commit to user privacy beyond the hardware and software.

Android privacy and security is about much more than just the device. And it’s about more than the end-to-end infrastructure for reliable communication and over-the-air updates. BlackBerry’s world-renowned security incident response and research teams offer nation-state level sophisticated vulnerability assessment that helps us find and fix problems before they impact users. Android is a complex, rapidly changing, massively popular, open-source product, which makes it an attractive and fertile target for attackers. Such an environment demands world-class security incident response, and BlackBerry has a long history delivering that to customers with the highest value resources under their (and hence our) protection. BlackBerry’s vulnerability patch program is second to none in the industry.

As we get closer to launch, the PRIV by BlackBerry security and privacy blog series from myself and Alex Manea will dive deeper on these topics and more. Also visit our Android Security site to keep up-to-date about Android vulnerabilities, hacks, breaches, management tips and more.
    10-16-15 02:58 PM
    Not only does this phone have screen lifting issues but... the screen is bent!!!
    I heard in addition to double typing it also double slides. Very frustrating!

Corbu, sidhuk, morganplus8 and 3 others like this.
    10-16-15 02:58 PM
    Also, you have to reach up to slide it down. Major new learning curve for many. And the extra energy this will take. Just imagine!

Too bad we Couldn't Get Kevin with one.
    Last edited by bungaboy; 10-16-15 at 04:22 PM.
    3MIKE, Corbu, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    10-16-15 03:16 PM
    Yup, that's why I mentioned earlier about how tomorrow could be interesting. BlackBerry could just announce a launch event date tomorrow followed by Carphone video. Or the video will go live and nothing else after.

Posted via CB10
    Cred given as carphone did release a vid. Not much of a review....but you did call it.
    Superfly_FR, 3MIKE, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    10-16-15 03:33 PM
    I'm soooo glad they kept image password and didn't fall in the fingerprint nightmare. I applaud ! And I do hope they'll explain why this is the proper way, V.S an 'unmodifiable and permanent credential'.
    TBH, the more I read, the better I feel.
    It was no fluke, they did build it with the minimum compromission.

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, Corbu, morganplus8 and 4 others like this.
    10-16-15 03:37 PM
    Hey has anybody been able to confirm that the Priv camera sensor is a Sony MX230-S as indicated here? I don't seem to see this anywhere else

http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_p...news-14521.php

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 03:38 PM
    Update: I have sold out of all of my purchases of HALO made between $ 13.50 and $ 13.57/shr and rolled that money into BBRY as of now (I'm holding onto my $ 13.00 stuff). I did the unthinkable and bought a large position in BBRY calls for next year as well. There is something about this PRIV that has me bullish on the trade down here. The profit in HALO gives me the cushion I need to go all in now. Let's see what happens next week when they start talking up the PRIV prior to the official launch.
    The Call Options expert who doesn't buy calls, and doesn't need to buy calls given it doesn't sound like he needs leverage in any capacity, just bought calls. If I buy anymore calls they will be more Jan '17. Can I ask your strike and expiry?

Did you see that Blackberry Priv video in action (not the carphone warehouse one)? Hub, flick word keyboard. It looks like a dream. Can't wait now!
    sidhuk, La Emperor and morganplus8 like this.
    10-16-15 03:45 PM
    Like rarsen does so diligently ;

OT from the Related Technologies and Security file:

Adobe confirms major Flash vulnerability, and the only way to protect yourself is to uninstall Flash

http://bgr.com/2015/10/15/adobe-flas...ility-warning/
    10-16-15 04:04 PM
    The Call Options expert who doesn't buy calls, and doesn't need to buy calls given it doesn't sound like he needs leverage in any capacity, just bought calls. If I buy anymore calls they will be more Jan '17. Can I ask your strike and expiry?

Did you see that Blackberry Priv video in action (not the carphone warehouse one)? Hub, flick word keyboard. It looks like a dream. Can't wait now!
    Ha! I know, I don't buy Calls/Puts as I prefer to sell them to others but I found myself loading up on BBRY at $ 7.06 and $ 7.07/shr and peeked at the $ 7.50's and $ 8.00's and ended up buying a pile of $ 8.00 calls from December out to March of 2016. I made quite a bit of money on HALO this week and wanted to own a larger position in BBRY spurred by the news as it continued to come out on the PRIV today. To me, this is shades of the initial launch of BB 10, accept this time around, I really like how the company is building up/reporting the properties of the phone. On top of that, I don't like sliders and I'll be purchasing this one so it is clearly a winner for me. If the HUB works as it does on my Passport I will not only have a great phone but a sizable gain in my stock position too! Ha! We'll see, so far, I like how things are working out here. As for those options, I'll take up the stock and sell Calls against that position should everything go as planned. Next week I have to focus on buying back some of that HALO that I sold. GL
    10-16-15 04:34 PM

In trying to answer your question, dimi, I am reminded of three things. Frst, I seem to recall that JC mentioned, sometime in 2014 - probably around the time of the Ron Louks hire - that the hardware/device game was fickle, that you only needed one "homerun" device to change the perception out there (or something of that nature), but I can't seem to find the original source. Will dig some more. Second, we all remember this year's MWC (The new BlackBerry Slider will blow you away). Third, at this year's Milken Conference, in April, JC sat down with CNBC and referred to the fact that he was working "on making BlackBerry cool again". You'll remember the "something is brewing" remark:

"So, it's really about creating the next cool phones so to speak. It will evolve, and then there are opportunity [sic.] to regain the market share."

[...]

"Application has been one of our Achilles' heel[s]," Chen said. "The last couple of years, lack of apps. So, we are doing two things about it. I am not allowed to tell you what I am doing beyond just the Amazon or the Amazon apps, but we are working hard at it."

He continued, "Something [is] brewing. Yeah, I am working on something. And the other part is, we're focused a lot on the enterprise apps [...] I think there is a new generation of apps coming; that's an important thing.

"You just don't want to kind of play in the old game. You want to, got to, get ahead. And we are working on that," Chen concluded.
    How BlackBerry plans to win your heart again

But, as I write this, I realize that I am not answering your question. I suspect that they have been working on this for a very long time, in fact... I am very curious to find out more about the nature of the collaboration with Google, among other things.

Cheers,
    10-16-15 04:37 PM
    10-16-15 04:55 PM
    Would be nice to have some sort of hub integration there. Maybe a short swipe gets you the icons with new notifications (ie. email, sms) and a longer swipe pulls you right into the hub or something along those lines. Not sure if that makes any sense, but would be cool.

Sort of a dull week for BBRY stock - although maybe that's a good thing for the time being. Will certainly be interesting to see what movement there will be leading up to launch and then what the early demand looks like. (side note: please have the capacity to ramp production if demand exceeds expectations). Of course, it will be more interesting if the stock goes up.
    10-16-15 06:32 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-crackberry-image-134-.jpg

Come on UK people today available now for pre order sim free!
    10-17-15 05:21 AM
    Taking the screen size as benchmark it has well established competitors in iPhone 6+ and other Android phones. iPhone doesn't offer the 32GB storage level, but Priv falls neatly between the iPhone price points for 16GB (�539) and 64GB (�619), so the pricing is "at iPhone level". Android competitors are significantly cheaper, Samsung S6 Edge (32GB @ �529) or Nexus 6 with a larger screen (32GB @ �440, 64GB @ �499). The only tangible feature Priv offers to interest the personal spender is the physical keyboard. I don't think the majority of potential UK buyers will be too interested in a legacy feature when the brand name on the box will make them the target of peer ridicule.
    sati01 and awindsr like this.
    10-17-15 06:14 AM
    I don't think the majority of potential UK buyers will be too interested in a legacy feature when the brand name on the box will make them the target of peer ridicule.
    You might be hanging out with the wrong crowd, mate.
    The past couple weeks I have had guests staying at my house from various part of the world, including a famous scientist from the UK. No one said a negative thing about my passport, but quite the opposite. My feeling is that if one makes decisions based on fear of peer ridicule, then one is either a child or an under achieving adult.

Posted via CB10
    ibpluto, _dimi_, W Hoa and 18 others like this.
    10-17-15 06:36 AM
113,256 ... 36183619362036213622 ...