Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Speaking of always something.
    This. LOL
    "If Carphone Warehouse is anything to go by, it appears that BlackBerry’s problem with carriers not stocking their devices is set to continue with the new Priv by BlackBerry."

BlackBerry Priv exclusive to Carphone Warehouse in UK
    Attachment 376013

Posted via CB10
    I'm not a huge fan of this decision unless it is a time-limited exclusive. I really think for this phone to make a meaningful imprint it needs to be in stores and it needs to be clear that it runs Android. I realize that lots of people order phones online, but I think with it being a slider and so different, many would like the peace of mind of looking at it in person. Not to mention the people who will have not heard of it and may be curious by it in a store. For those who know, is Carphone Warehouse big enough to justify this decision?
    OlympusMons likes this.
    10-16-15 11:18 AM
    Update: I have sold out of all of my purchases of HALO made between $ 13.50 and $ 13.57/shr and rolled that money into BBRY as of now (I'm holding onto my $ 13.00 stuff). I did the unthinkable and bought a large position in BBRY calls for next year as well. There is something about this PRIV that has me bullish on the trade down here. The profit in HALO gives me the cushion I need to go all in now. Let's see what happens next week when they start talking up the PRIV prior to the official launch.
    10-16-15 11:28 AM
    I think you need to look at is as "something entirely new" and a choice of keyboards makes it seem that way for everyone who has ever owned a phone. BB has the right to command high prices for this initial offering. BB needs to sell so few of these phones to make a huge impact on the company and the stock. I like what they are doing here, this phone is so unique that BlackBerry will be getting tons of free media attention once again, this time it will stick. I personally don't buy a phone by price, I look at what it offers for me and this phone is in a form factor that is once again (think Passport) so new and cool. The only thing that is missing in this launch is the BB 10 portion of the Android commitment. If they offer HUB I'm all in on the first day.
    Agreed! This may help answer your question, Morgan...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-mp4-1080p-meet-priv-blackberry.mp4_snapshot_00.35_-2015.10.16_12.40.48-.jpg

At 0:35 of that video.
    Last edited by Corbu; 10-16-15 at 12:17 PM.
    10-16-15 11:41 AM
    Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that it's a better phone. But don't discount how much of an effect that brand value has. Maybe if it's well received and reviewed, that would be enough.
    But remember, most people go into their carrier store, look at the phones and think "Oh, I've heard of Samsung Galaxy S6" and I think that influences their choice.
    Maybe I'm wrong. What do you guys think?
    Posted via CB10
    There are a few points here that are important IMHO. (add to previous answers, pls)
    1/ 5mil devices is a drop in the bucket if you consider the Android 1Bil. devices segment.
    2/ Android space is a "2.0" space. They're very introverted, still they are very prompt to react to anything new. If "geek" means something, it's probably there. And they're very vocal, "blogal", may I try
    3/ There's all these PKB lovers, former BlackBerry's customers who went to Android ... after the Storm ... storm. We may believe they're "old", but that's just in terms of tech time scale. They're only what, 7 years older ? These have now deeper pockets, probably.

But now, dices have rolled. We still have to get an official price, and I'm happy for now.
    10-16-15 11:50 AM
    Aggred! This may help answer your question, Morgan...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	[MP4 1080p] Meet PRIV by BlackBerry.mp4_snapshot_00.35_[2015.10.16_12.40.48].jpg 
Views:	1496 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	376038

Man, you are the best Corbu!! If that "HUB" is our HUB, I'm all in! I will be honest with you, I've never been a fan of the slider, never owned one until now. This phone is the right size screen, it is powerful, no app gap, it is cool and will look good sitting there with the keyboard sticking out around my friends, it is a must now! Thanks!
    sidhuk, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 10 others like this.
    10-16-15 11:51 AM
    Odd comments on the cost of the Priv and where people feel it needs to be cheaper (positioned below phones like IP6 and SG6e). First off, BlackBerry does not have magic supplier contracts that allow them to build a device with equal or better specs cheaper then other manufactures (quite the opposite I would think) therefore if you want a device with equal specs, you will have similar price. They need to make appropriate margins or it makes zero sense to make handsets. As a shareholder I would be miffed if they started giving sh*t away. They can not undercut competition by as much as some are suggesting....not without losing money. BlackBerry will not "buy" their market share. The prices then become obvious I would think (economics and economy's of scale 101)

To me it's simple, ON contact it's about the same price, outright, about the same price. Spec-wise, it's about the same. There is some differentiation in the security protocols,pkb and BlackBerry Suite of apps. Is that enough?....dunno. But those saying it needs to be cheaper by a wide margin, are either daft, or are too poor to buy anything anyway

10-16-15 12:05 PM
    I think you need to look at is as "something entirely new" and a choice of keyboards makes it seem that way for everyone who has ever owned a phone. BB has the right to command high prices for this initial offering. BB needs to sell so few of these phones to make a huge impact on the company and the stock. I like what they are doing here, this phone is so unique that BlackBerry will be getting tons of free media attention once again, this time it will stick. I personally don't buy a phone by price, I look at what it offers for me and this phone is in a form factor that is once again (think Passport) so new and cool. The only thing that is missing in this launch is the BB 10 portion of the Android commitment. If they offer HUB I'm all in on the first day.
    Well said.
    Even if you do want to buy by price-point, you would have to add that clunky contraption overlay keyboard for the S6 series, as well as KNOX security. What price will you now pay for that Samsung phone? We haven't even got into the other features that the Priv offers...
    There is no way in heck that one can argue that ANY Android phone is better. I too have no doubts that this elegant beast is going to smash it.

Safe weekend fellas!
    10-16-15 12:06 PM
    My only issue with this is that Apple and Samsung currently have significantly more brand value than BlackBerry. They're the only two companies that can command that premium price and still move loads of devices.

Posted via CB10
    Xperia Z5 permium (4K + long lasting battery) is �629 ...
    10-16-15 12:23 PM
    Don't have any more info on that Hub but it would appear that one finds all of the standard icons...

Now, as to how it will be implememted on the Priv, I guess we should find out soon enough!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-mp4-1080p-meet-priv-blackberry.mp4_snapshot_00.35_-2015.10.16_12.40.48-_2.png
    10-16-15 12:25 PM
    Agreed! This may help answer your question, Morgan...

Name:	[MP4 1080p] Meet PRIV by BlackBerry.mp4_snapshot_00.35_[2015.10.16_12.40.48].jpg 
Views:	1496 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	376038

Corbu : what's you twitter handle ? Wanna prop or RT your great findings !
    (you can PM if you prefer)
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-16-15 12:27 PM
    Xperia Z5 permium (4K + long lasting battery) is �629 ...
    And Sony has been consistently losing money in their mobile division.

Edit: finally the Hub shows up! Man, that is a sexy phone though.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 12:29 PM
    Don't have any more info on that Hub but it would appear that one finds all of the standard icons...

Now, as to how it will be implememted on the Priv, I guess we should find out soon enough!

Name:	[MP4 1080p] Meet PRIV by BlackBerry.mp4_snapshot_00.35_[2015.10.16_12.40.48]_2.png 
Views:	863 
Size:	413.0 KB 
ID:	376049
    I hear you, if they can provide "peek" and/or slide to peek without the keyboard I'm in. It is going to be hard to tear me away from my Passport but this one appears to have it all going for it now. I check my messages and stock quotes with one hand on the Passport and won't give that up so I'll need multi screens and peek to get excited.

We'll see.
    rarsen, sidhuk, La Emperor and 4 others like this.
    10-16-15 12:32 PM

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    10-16-15 12:32 PM
    Oh man. That video is gorgeous.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 12:36 PM
    hahahahaha, been reading all the excuses to bad mouth Priv, seems like Blackberry is playing games too and shutting off the critics one by one. seems like they do read these comments. well done. now i am completely sold.
    best video of priv so for.
    10-16-15 12:39 PM
    Update: I have sold out of all of my purchases of HALO made between $ 13.50 and $ 13.57/shr and rolled that money into BBRY as of now (I'm holding onto my $ 13.00 stuff). I did the unthinkable and bought a large position in BBRY calls for next year as well. There is something about this PRIV that has me bullish on the trade down here. The profit in HALO gives me the cushion I need to go all in now. Let's see what happens next week when they start talking up the PRIV prior to the official launch.
    Uh-Oh, does going all in on BB mean someone will be spending the night in the doghouse?
    10-16-15 12:40 PM
    Wow! I plan on getting one for myself and wife once it's released. I also convinced my brother and his wife (both iPhone 5s users) to make the switch. I love that even though pictures of the device have been leaking for weeks, BlackBerry was the first to show off the beautiful Hub in action. I hope they release their own hands-on video soon.
    10-16-15 12:44 PM
    From Fortune Magazine the Priv is priced at "Without a wireless contract, the Priv costs �579.99, which works out to about US $895."

BlackBerry's first Android phone goes on sale - Fortune
    10-16-15 12:46 PM
    hahahahaha, been reading all the excuses to bad mouth Priv, seems like Blackberry is playing games too and shutting off the critics one by one. seems like they do read these comments. well done. now i am completely sold.
    best video of priv so for.
    this x100
    10-16-15 12:51 PM
    Uh-Oh, does going all in on BB mean someone will be spending the night in the doghouse?
    First off, love your icon, I'm guessing who that is, but, nice.

The thing with my wife is that she loves HALO, if I tell her I bought a large position in that one, she is super happy. If I tell her I bought any BBRY she is upset and it is all to do with the media. It gets talked down so much that she is embarrassed about BlackBerry. But she still grabs my Passport when she heads out the door due to its nice sized screen. And so today, I told her, "I took a very nice profit in HALO and I'm whole in BBRY as of now". For her, "whole" means I hold my original position in that one, for me, it means I own a "whole lot more" of BBRY. Am I lying here?
    take99, rarsen, sidhuk and 8 others like this.
    10-16-15 12:51 PM
    this x100
    I'm speechless watch that video, best video!
    10-16-15 12:54 PM
    First off, love your icon, I'm guessing who that is, but, nice.

The thing with my wife is that she loves HALO, if I tell her I bought a large position in that one, she is super happy. If I tell her I bought any BBRY she is upset and it is all to do with the media. It gets talked down so much that she is embarrassed about BlackBerry. But she still grabs my Passport when she heads out the door due to its nice sized screen. And so today, I told her, "I took a very nice profit in HALO and I'm whole in BBRY as of now". For her, "whole" means I hold my original position in that one, for me, it means I own a "whole lot more" of BBRY. Am I lying here?
    Thanks, the picture is of Canadian speed skater Brittany Schussler form the 2014 Sochi games. Congrats on your trading today and all the while keeping the wife happy! I don't think you're lying, "hold" or "whole" difference in a couple of letters is all.
    morganplus8, Corbu, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    10-16-15 01:01 PM
    The thing with my wife is that she loves HALO, if I tell her I bought a large position in that one, she is super happy. If I tell her I bought any BBRY she is upset and it is all to do with the media.
    Maybe she likes stocks that make money, and doesn't like stocks that lose money. I know women are kind of crazy like that.

The pricing on Priv is understandable to me. I'll definitely buy one. I look forward to seeing data in Dec to see how many other people will buy one. Brand does matter, it's why so many companies spend so much money on brand.

Does anyone know if BB is taking on inventory risk here? Or is this like the Leap?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-16-15 01:10 PM
    10-16-15 01:11 PM
    Maybe she likes stocks that make money, and doesn't like stocks that lose money. I know women are kind of crazy like that.

The pricing on Priv is understandable to me. I'll definitely buy one. I look forward to seeing data in Dec to see how many other people will buy one. Brand does matter, it's why so many companies spend so much money on brand.
    I am wondering if Blackberry Porsche version of Priv will be out at $2,999,99? LOL
    Porsche model has done well so for. time to build a brand with good product.
    10-16-15 01:16 PM
113,256 ... 36173618361936203621 ...