View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Not familiar with self-selection bias?
    Not familiar with I support BlackBerry and I buy shares?
    Corbu, sidhuk, 3MIKE and 4 others like this.
    10-11-15 09:38 AM
    Absolutely, but what Chen is doing and what BlackBerry is doing as a whole, I feel that it's necessary in this moment of time. Providing an Android device, I believe, is the only other option besides scrapping BB10. Let's face it, if the Passport wasn't able to peak some interest for BlackBerry, another high end all touch won't either, not without the apps anyway. BlackBerry can spend all the money they want advertising BlackBerry 10, but if the customer isn't getting the entire ecosystem i.e. applications and media (films, music, books), you can forget about BlackBerry as a whole because they'll have spent their entire resources on aimless advertising.

The problem remains the same as it was back in 2012 when BB10 was in development. We should be grateful Chen came aboard and was able to control the finances, otherwise not even the best public speaker can talk their way out of liquidation.

The media can hurt the brand all they like, but they can't touch the money and Chen's experience in the game.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, pretty much. I see it like this...

BB10 based hardware is losing money and is too far away from critical mass to turn around given existing product portfolio and strategy. There also don't seem to be any opportunities to license BB10 out. Although it's debatable, spending more money on marketing at this point is likely not going to help much. Chen has also stated that they will continue to support BB10 and that a new release is coming.

The only hope for BB10 in this context is that the Priv catches on enough for the overall hardware division to become profitable and solidify BlackBerry as an android device maker as well as providing BB10 upgraded versions for the enterprise, prosumer, and niche/fan market. If those versions have to cost more, so be it, but bundle together some appropriate software at least for an initial trial period. And I think it would all work together very nicely without losing any money in the big picture.

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor, 3MIKE, Mr BBRY and 1 others like this.
    10-11-15 09:44 AM
    Not familiar with I support BlackBerry and I buy shares?
    I'm not AT ALL an expert on stats, but did you just subtly defend (in a roundabout way) misinterpreting data/facts in the name of supporting BlackBerry and buying shares??

I don't know which one of you read the data correctly, but that's one really weird 'comeback'.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 09:48 AM
    Yeah, pretty much. I see it like this...

BB10 based hardware is losing money and is too far away from critical mass to turn around given existing product portfolio and strategy. There also don't seem to be any opportunities to license BB10 out. Although it's debatable, spending more money on marketing at this point is likely not going to help much. Chen has also stated that they will continue to support BB10 and that a new release is coming.

The only hope for BB10 in this context is that the Priv catches on enough for the overall hardware division to become profitable and solidify BlackBerry as an android device maker as well as providing BB10 upgraded versions for the enterprise, prosumer, and niche/fan market. If those versions have to cost more, so be it, but bundle together some appropriate software at least for an initial trial period. And I think it would all work together very nicely without losing any money in the big picture.

Posted via CB10
    The BlackBerry 10 is dead thesis is some serious short term thinking. Just because the user base is small now doesn't mean it can't expand steadily over time if it is managed and promoted properly. The rules of the world aren't any different for BlackBerry. If you want to sell a product, you MUST advertise properly. Full stop.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 09:52 AM
    The BlackBerry 10 is dead thesis is some serious short term thinking. Just because the user base is small now doesn't mean it can't expand steadily over time if it is managed and promoted properly. The rules of the world aren't any different for BlackBerry. If you want to sell a product, you MUST advertise properly. Full stop.

Posted via CB10
    Agree with what you said.
    But
    Not sure how to deal with BlackBerry bashing campaign all over the Internet and specialty on this CB site. Look at the majority of threads and the usual suspects who always have issues and are always bashing BlackBerry no matter what.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 10:26 AM
    I agree that marketing is important, but I would say that in the case of BB10, it is simply not enough at this point in time. I think convincing the average consumer to give a hi-spec slider with Android a try is such an easier argument to make than convincing them to try a new platform that is missing their desired apps (sideloading doesn't count for the average person). With respect to BB10's future, I just don't think BlackBerry has the desire or conviction to put any significant money into the platform. And I can't blame them. As much as it is the most functional OS in my opinion, there is such little chance of breaking through in any meaningful way right now in the consumer market.
    10-11-15 10:36 AM
    You are right, but given the final product should make its debut within 40-50 days, it's sad to know they still have so much to fix!
    - LAG?!? I mean,we all know it is Android and not BB10 but, LAG with so much power under the hood?
    - Camera: they didn't succeed in fixing the BB10 camera software in years and you believe the will in a month on Android?
    - BlackBerry Experience not reviewed means just one thing: it's not ready yet.

Maybe we'll discover this particular unit was maunfactured 5 months ago and that the software is that old too..But I highly doubt that. And I am worried.

Posted via CB10
    Here is the link for another review. Came much earlier than the one came today.
    This one praises the same points
    We do have short memory . I think today's reviewer just bashing it cleverly. Then again, I don't wanna bash something which I haven't used it my self and I don't trust others when it comes to blackberry. Because it is fashion to bad mouth BlackBerry in general.
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=blackberry...ai=oYRM_J3FrxY

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 10:43 AM
    I'm glad JC set the story straight. He believes 100% in the Priv, which means he can be held accountable for any software experience issues. However, if it is a great device with a solid experience, and it doesn't sell as much as they would need, the first press release we'll see regarding their plans for hardware will most likely be a shut down (no surprises there), a final restructuring cost, hopefully combined with a major patent deal for all of their hardware IP and one hell of an acquisition that will put them in the forefront of IoT. They could finally fully focus on software without ever having to deal with pre-release device 'reviews'. If it does sell, well... we'll just have to deal with more pre-release Google trend analysis Or who knows, the hardware IP might be worth more and JC could pull off a deal anyway while charging an OEM for the secure version of Android going forward. Leave the hardware behind and focus on software.. it sure sounds good to me!

And now a question for Morgan: would JC feel more comfortable spending a billion dollars or more if the hardware division was gone?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 10:46 AM
    Again, I'd argue that that is short term thinking that ends up being fatal over the long term. That's basically what's happened. It's always been 'not right now', maybe later. Well, now it's later, and there has been zero progress. And now, again, it's 'not right now'.

What's done is done, and BlackBerry can't go back in time to fix the stupid things they've done. They CAN still do things like advertise the next Passport (assuming they don't give up by then). It's just common sense. If Bubba's Ice Cream Parlour in who knows where has to advertise, BlackBerry is no different. They just have not shown any heart for the fight at all. It's a bit pathetic, and it's normal that BlackBerry diehards are frustrated to see the platform going to the dogs. BlackBerry NEVER even tried with BlackBerry 10. If the majority of people do not even know your product is in existence, you've failed. Full stop.

It's crazy saying that advertising wouldn't have made any difference. If those who own a Passport love it, then loads and loads of other people would love it if they knew about it. Anyway, it will be interesting to see if they advertise the 'Priv'. If they don't, then I'll be expecting a total shutdown of the hardware division within a year, and we can meet in here on our iPhones and get excited about connected toasters and shipping containers.

A lot of hardworking folks in Waterloo have come up with a brilliant looking device (the Priv). BlackBerry need to grow some now and give that hard work the backing it desrves.

Posted via CB10
    ZayDub and CDM76 like this.
    10-11-15 10:49 AM
    I'm not AT ALL an expert on stats, but did you just subtly defend (in a roundabout way) misinterpreting data/facts in the name of supporting BlackBerry and buying shares??

I don't know which one of you read the data correctly, but that's one really weird 'comeback'.

Posted via CB10
    Nope!
    10-11-15 10:52 AM
    BB ad for the SE passport.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-20151010_160553_resized.jpg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-20151010_160622_resized.jpg
    10-11-15 11:08 AM
    I have a Lumia phone. The user experience compared to BB10 is severely lacking, IMO.
    W10 and the continium may change that ... Thus my worries.
    morganplus8 and BigBadWulf like this.
    10-11-15 11:10 AM
    W10 and the continium may change that ... Thus my worries.
    . . . if the wind was blowing hard enough from the right direction, and pigs had wings . . . they could fly. LoL
    Last edited by bungaboy; 10-11-15 at 01:57 PM.
    sidhuk, 3MIKE and Superfly_FR like this.
    10-11-15 11:20 AM
    Again, I'd argue that that is short term thinking that ends up being fatal over the long term. That's basically what's happened. It's always been 'not right now', maybe later. Well, now it's later, and there has been zero progress. And now, again, it's 'not right now'.

What's done is done, and BlackBerry can't go back in time to fix the stupid things they've done. They CAN still do things like advertise the next Passport (assuming they don't give up by then). It's just common sense. If Bubba's Ice Cream Parlour in who knows where has to advertise, BlackBerry is no different. They just have not shown any heart for the fight at all. It's a bit pathetic, and it's normal that BlackBerry diehards are frustrated to see the platform going to the dogs. BlackBerry NEVER even tried with BlackBerry 10. If the majority of people do not even know your product is in existence, you've failed. Full stop.

It's crazy saying that advertising wouldn't have made any difference. If those who own a Passport love it, then loads and loads of other people would love it if they knew about it. Anyway, it will be interesting to see if they advertise the 'Priv'. If they don't, then I'll be expecting a total shutdown of the hardware division within a year, and we can meet in here on our iPhones and get excited about connected toasters and shipping containers.

A lot of hardworking folks in Waterloo have come up with a brilliant looking device (the Priv). BlackBerry need to grow some now and give that hard work the backing it desrves.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure how long you have been following BlackBerry.. but if you have been sitting through BB7, BB10 and now the Priv like most of the BlackBerry employees and shareholders (!), then I think you might pull the plug on their hardware division too if they can't sell 5 million devices in a target market of over 1 billion devices that Android currently represents. Sure, they will market the device with help of the carriers, but not a buck more. Frank Boulben perhaps could have spent his marketing budget more wisely during the BB10 launch days, but every resource spent on the hardware division nowadays means a resource lost for their software division. I say go software, it's where they still make a difference.

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk likes this.
    10-11-15 11:20 AM
    It's Sunday, guys...

Can you spot the Passport?

Courtesy of C003FDAD9
    kadakn01, _dimi_, sidhuk and 7 others like this.
    10-11-15 11:32 AM
    I'm glad JC set the story straight. He believes 100% in the Priv, which means he can be held accountable for any software experience issues. However, if it is a great device with a solid experience, and it doesn't sell as much as they would need, the first press release we'll see regarding their plans for hardware will most likely be a shut down (no surprises there), a final restructuring cost, hopefully combined with a major patent deal for all of their hardware IP and one hell of an acquisition that will put them in the forefront of IoT. They could finally fully focus on software without ever having to deal with pre-release device 'reviews'. If it does sell, well... we'll just have to deal with more pre-release Google trend analysis Or who knows, the hardware IP might be worth more and JC could pull off a deal anyway while charging an OEM for the secure version of Android going forward. Leave the hardware behind and focus on software.. it sure sounds good to me!

And now a question for Morgan: would JC feel more comfortable spending a billion dollars or more if the hardware division was gone?

Posted via CB10
    Hi _dimi_!!

I see things going this way, or at least I hope they go this way! I see Chen enhancing Android to make it Android Plus with all of the key features of BB 10. They are getting very close to Google now and this isn't so far fetched today. Chen needs 2 quarters to absorb all of the acquisitions he has made already, I truly believe that. During this time, I see the media coming around to BB again as they show some revenue improvements and the PRIV does well within its scope of growth. As the market sees BBRY stock going up on better data; and the financial picture becomes clearer, Chen will open up the wallet and grow the business. That's how I see the next 12 months going for BlackBerry, or at least how I want to see it go. I don't see BB 10 going anywhere any time soon, they will maintain it for a couple of years and continue to launch one BB 10 per year. If you own a BB Android you will see improvements going to BB 10 that will make their way to Android too.
    Corbu, Uzi, Andy_bb_king and 18 others like this.
    10-11-15 11:36 AM
    10-11-15 12:03 PM
    Ok, so it appears we finally have JC's video at the Re/Code conference. Right video this time:
    BlackBerry?s John Chen Talks at Code/Mobile About His Company?s Uncertain Future (Full Video) | Re/code

We'll finally be able to listen to what the man himself had to say.

Sorry I can't quite embed the video. If someone else can, please do. Thanks.
    Uzi, _dimi_, La Emperor and 14 others like this.
    10-11-15 12:14 PM
    You are right, but given the final product should make its debut within 40-50 days, it's sad to know they still have so much to fix!
    - LAG?!? I mean,we all know it is Android and not BB10 but, LAG with so much power under the hood?
    - Camera: they didn't succeed in fixing the BB10 camera software in years and you believe the will in a month on Android?
    - BlackBerry Experience not reviewed means just one thing: it's not ready yet.

Maybe we'll discover this particular unit was maunfactured 5 months ago and that the software is that old too..But I highly doubt that. And I am worried.

Posted via CB10
    Wow. Someone is feeling negative today. Tell you what, go grab a bowl of Wheaties and come back when you're not so hangry.

Ps: try smiling, it will flow over into other things in your life..... like your posts on CB. LoL

Posted via CB10
    awindsr likes this.
    10-11-15 12:28 PM
    Ok, so it appears we finally have JC's video at the Re/Code conference. Right video this time:
    BlackBerry?s John Chen Talks at Code/Mobile About His Company?s Uncertain Future (Full Video) | Re/code

We'll finally be able to listen to what the man himself had to say.

Sorry I can't quite embed the video. If someone else can, please do. Thanks.
    Wow. What a POS is re-code and vergas and other negative word twisting people are these. This video is all fine. JC did just fine. That's why I do not trust the press editing. The lied twisted what was said. Period.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 01:20 PM
    It's Sunday, guys...

Courtesy of C003FDAD9
    Do me, and yourself, a huge favor.. post the link to her instagram. I think most can't see the picture.. and this Passport is definitely a must-see!!!
    Corbu, sidhuk, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    10-11-15 01:31 PM
    Do me, and yourself, a huge favor.. post the link to her instagram. I think most can't see the picture.. and this Passport is definitely a must-see!!!
    Anything for you, dimi!
    https://instagram.com/vsantangeli/?hl=en

And she's got quite a few others... Bright girl, obviously!

And let me post it this way, just FTR, obviously.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-c003fdad9_7f07b1e0-7030-11e5-bae9-0200ac177829.jpg

Man, can't say this thread isn't the definitive reference for all things BB!
    10-11-15 01:34 PM
    It's Sunday, guys...

Courtesy of C003FDAD9
    Sorry. I didn't see any passport.

Posted via CB10
    _dimi_, Corbu and rarsen like this.
    10-11-15 01:45 PM
    Hahaha.........
    10-11-15 01:59 PM
    Sorry. I didn't see any passport.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screenclip.png