View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Of course, that was just an example, since they get a lot of attention on this issue.

yes, and so Apple pays property taxes locally like anyone else. And they pay for electricity, water, peering fees and all those things just like anyone else. And Apple Stores generate sales taxes in almost all locations, etc. It would be very hard to argue that an Apple Store is a next cost to any local community where you find one. Or one of our bank branches or anything else.

The tax I have an issue with is federal income taxes. Where I work for every $1 of income, we pay federal income tax as a group and then as employees and shareholders we pay tax on that same $1 again. That seems arbitrary to me and leads to a complicated web of entities to avoid that double taxation wherever we can. Lots of $ for lawyers and consultants I suppose, but why not just tax people once on their income?

This is in addition to the local property taxes, and water utilities fees and surcharges, and taxes on our travel, and the 1,000 other fees and taxes and excises that we pay for the things that we consume.

At least in the rest of the world, everything online as itunes, appstore, apple store,... are located in fiscal paradises; and that's the problem.

It's a problem for Apple too because they have their money away from home and they cannot bring it back home, they do not want to pay US taxes.

So it's although for US GVT, and to pay dividends...

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 12:13 PM

The tax I have an issue with is federal income taxes. Where I work for every $1 of income, we pay federal income tax as a group and then as employees and shareholders we pay tax on that same $1 again. That seems arbitrary to me and leads to a complicated web of entities to avoid that double taxation wherever we can. Lots of $ for lawyers and consultants I suppose, but why not just tax people once on their income?

This is in addition to the local property taxes, and water utilities fees and surcharges, and taxes on our travel, and the 1,000 other fees and taxes and excises that we pay for the things that we consume.
    I completely agree with you to a point, I hate paying taxes in so many parts of the pie but it is a reality that if it takes $ .53/dollar to run a country like Canada or the US, you will pay that amount whether it is in one or more tiers. Can you imagine what our countries would look like if roads changed at every State border? Or if each State competed for healthcare rules and obligations? Imagine defending America with each State deciding what should go into the latest F22 fighter jet? I wouldn't become a pilot if I knew the rules varied by State for each component of a plane, train, automobile etc.. Even our phones would be developed by State, and, California wouldn't exist any more if you let them run the State on a local level. The point is, the amount of tax will never change unless you want to buy a four wheel drive vehicle so that you can drive through Wyoming and Montana to get to the other side. Those States would abolish taxes and go back to dirt roads and live off the land. I'm horsing around here while I wait for BlackBerry to make another afternoon high for the sixth time in as many days. Cheers.
    sidhuk, Mr BBRY, 3MIKE and 3 others like this.
    10-09-15 12:23 PM
    OpEx day. Place your bets 7 or 7.5?
    Thanks for the head's up brother BThunderW.

A definition for those (like me) who are newbies to all this:

Operating Expense

An expenditure that a business incurs as a result of normal business operations; a challenge faced by a company's management is to determine how much operating expenses can be reduced without significantly affecting the firm's ability to compete with its competitors. Also known as OPEX.
    Investopedia explains Operating Expense
    As an example, the payment of employee wages and the allocation of funds for research and development are operating expenses. In the absence of raising prices or finding new markets or product channels to increase sales and raise profits, some businesses attempt to increase the bottom line solely by cutting expenses. Although laying off employees and reducing product quality initially can boost earnings and may even be necessary when a company has lost its competitiveness, operating expenses can be cut only so much before the quality of business operations is damaged.

Edit: ignore this as it pertains to stock OP/EX, and kindly read Morgan's post below. Sorry for the confusion fellas!
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 10-09-15 at 02:59 PM.
    10-09-15 12:24 PM
    We need to embed AdHoc into this thread.
    10-09-15 12:28 PM
    seems Like something is brewing as the experts have said couple days ago.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-7.05-temp.jpg
    10-09-15 12:30 PM

Operating Expense

An expenditure that a business incurs as a result of normal business operations; a challenge faced by a company's management is to determine how much operating expenses can be reduced without significantly affecting the firm's ability to compete with its competitors. Also known as OPEX.
    As an example, the payment of employee wages and the allocation of funds for research and development are operating expenses. In the absence of raising prices or finding new markets or product channels to increase sales and raise profits, some businesses attempt to increase the bottom line solely by cutting expenses. Although laying off employees and reducing product quality initially can boost earnings and may even be necessary when a company has lost its competitiveness, operating expenses can be cut only so much before the quality of business operations is damaged.
    If you get a moment, look up Options Expiry Day as that is what OP/EX means for Thunder. He wonders out loud if BBRY will close up or down because of a lean towards one set of options strike price and open volume today. Big money sometimes drives the price of the stock towards a strike price to suit their needs.
    10-09-15 12:33 PM
    Yes, and every Apple employee and shareholder pays those taxes. State, local, and federal. The question is should they be taxed twice. Collectively once, and then again individually.
    Yes because that's the way everyone else is taxed. You should not be exempt because you have enough money to buy your way through a loophole.
    10-09-15 12:35 PM
    Since I am missing part of my morning slog, and in a spamming mood, I suppose this would be a good time to add that there is a reason for why this dude consistently gets the most likes on the CB forum.

If he decides to finalize that bb10 brain implant and leave us for the Borg, I can only hope that someone is there to carry his torch.

)
    rarsen, Mr BBRY, 3MIKE and 7 others like this.
    10-09-15 12:40 PM
    If you get a moment, look up Options Expiry Day as that is what OP/EX means for Thunder. He wonders out loud if BBRY will close up or down because of a lean towards one set of options strike price and open volume today. Big money sometimes drives the price of the stock towards a strike price to suit their needs.
    Er, uh....

Did I mention that I was new to this??
    10-09-15 12:41 PM
    seems Like something is brewing as the experts have said couple days ago.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.05 temp.jpg 
Views:	1925 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	375105
    Certainly a chin scratcher. I've not seen this many days of solid uptick with below average volume in...well....not sure I have?

Not complaining of course. Just glad I got in when I did

10-09-15 12:54 PM
    Since I am missing part of my morning slog, and in a spamming mood, I suppose this would be a good time to add that there is a reason for why this dude consistently gets the most likes on the CB forum.

If he decides to finalize that bb10 brain implant and leave us for the Borg, I can only hope that someone is there to carry his torch.

)
    My shift ends at 4:00 PM today and so I'm horsing around while I watch my trades happen. As for that brain of mine, there can't be much left! LOL

I always enjoy your posts, it doesn't matter if you are climbing the learning curve or not, you make things very interesting indeed!

Now if BlackBerry could just make an afternoon high, I could go and pee! LOL Take care.
    Mr BBRY, 3MIKE, rarsen and 8 others like this.
    10-09-15 12:54 PM
    George with SeekingAlpha article (yea I know they are often lacking), but this one seems to have some positive arguments:

Time To Consider Going Long BlackBerry - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha
    "I think BBRY is onto something this time around with Priv and the Good acquisition. And while I like the company's strategy with software and services, in the end it will be a device comeback that will make a big difference for BBRY's stock. I do not have any targets for the stock, but I think it's not difficult for it to reach $12 if Priv is modestly successful."
    10-09-15 02:02 PM
    Not quite bud. OpEx refers to Option Expiry. Last trading day where weekly options expire. Blackberry stock (among many others are usually traded near Max Pain by end of day Friday. Max Pain refers to price where the most puts and calls can be expired worthless.

Operating Expense

rarsen, La Emperor, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    10-09-15 02:36 PM
    OT:

These Jays are driving me crazier!!!
    10-09-15 02:43 PM
    Shorts

9/30/2015 87,748,744
    9/15/2015 91,775,803
    Corbu, lech31, kadakn01 and 18 others like this.
    10-09-15 03:09 PM
    These Jays are driving me crazier!!!
    Is that even possible?
    rarsen, bungaboy, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    10-09-15 03:14 PM
    What a week. We closed today at basically our high, On a day I thought we would give a little back, but we did not.

Where do we go from here?

10-09-15 03:29 PM
    OT: Apple removes some apps from online store over security concerns

Apple removes some apps from online store over security concerns - The Globe and Mail

Apple Inc said on Thursday that it had removed “a few” applications from its App Store, expressing its concern that the security of some users’ personal data could be compromised in certain circumstances.

The company said the apps threatened users’ security by installing certificates that can expose data to monitoring by third parties. The company did not specify the precise number of apps at issue. . . .
    Corbu, rarsen, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    10-09-15 03:59 PM
    Chen's response to the brouhaha over his Code/Mobile appearance:

Tempest in a Teacup

My appearance at the Code/Mobile conference created a minor furor yesterday. To my dismay, the media focused on a few of my comments while ignoring many others. That whipped up some commentators into a frenzy, including, unfortunately, a few of our loyal fans.
    Corbu, CDM76, OlympusMons and 15 others like this.
    10-09-15 04:26 PM
    10-09-15 05:02 PM
    Well said by Bla1ze at the front page
    "As Chen notes, he's a realist and does not have time to sugarcoat things. I feel him there. I often get 'called out' for similar actions. Sometimes people don't want the truth, they want things sugarcoated. In any case, I'm glad he took the time to clarify these issues in this new post because it was certainly needed though I still think he needs to sit back and chill for a bit. Whether or not it will help any, well, we'll see. Bad news travels faster than good news."
    http://crackberry.com/john-chen-clea...ade-codemobile
    Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 05:20 PM
    OT: MobileIron Sets the Date for Its Third Quarter Fiscal Year 2015 Earnings Announcement

16:05 EDT Friday, October 09, 2015

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Oct. 9, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- MobileIron (NASDAQ:MOBL), the leader in mobile enterprise security, announced today that it will release its third quarter fiscal year 2015 earnings on Thursday, October 29, 2015 after the market opens.

Interested parties may access the call by dialing 1-855-327-6837 in the U.S. or 1-778-327-3988 from international locations. The live webcast will be available on the MobileIron Investor Relations website at http://investors.mobileiron.com/

MobileIron will host a conference call and live webcast at 1:30 p.m. PDT (4:30 p.m. EDT) to discuss the company's financial results and business highlights. Interested parties may access the call by dialing 1-855-327-6837 in the U.S. or 1-778-327-3988 from international locations. The live webcast will be available on the MobileIron Investor Relations website at http://investors.mobileiron.com/. A replay will be available through the same link.
    Last edited by bungaboy; 10-10-15 at 08:30 AM.
    10-09-15 07:41 PM
    Memo to John Chen:

Please click the link below!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...Armchair%20CEO

Thanks for the great work and grab a beer and watch the Toronto Maple Leafs! Maybe Two!
    Corbu, 3MIKE, bungaboy and 4 others like this.
    10-09-15 08:12 PM
    Well done, bbjdog!

Could not think of a better way to thank you!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-toronto_maple_leafs_logo.svg.png
    bungaboy and awindsr like this.
    10-09-15 08:30 PM
    Well done, bbjdog!

Could not think of a better way to thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toronto_Maple_Leafs_logo.svg.png 
Views:	1990 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	375161
    Hey maybe John Chen can learn a lot from Toronto Maple Leaf! They have done bad for so many years (reminds me of something) but they still sell out the AC centre. Lol

Good night crew!

Thanks Corbu!
    rarsen, 3MIKE, bungaboy and 4 others like this.
    10-09-15 09:40 PM
113,252 ... 36043605360636073608 ...