View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    That's trash!!! BB:TO hasn't traded anywhere near the figures in that article.

". . . on Thursday, October 1st. The shares were sold at an average price of C$6.09, for a total transaction of C$399,080.53.
    Steven Zipperstein also recently made the following trade(s):
    On Tuesday, September 29th, Steven Zipperstein sold 22,368 shares of BlackBerry stock. The shares were sold at an average price of C$6.08, for a total transaction of C$136,010.86."
    10-08-15 12:53 PM
    KNOX works without BlackBerry.... BES is an option if a customer choose to use it, but noting on the Samsung site or BlackBerry site suggests that BES is more secure with KNOX that with other EMMs.

And Chen admitted that BlackPhone was better at securing Android than they are.... why do that?

Chen said some very scary things in that interview.....
    Thanks for that point Dunt. Yes, I should not presume that some here did not know that.

I have not watched this clip, but I would like to hear Chen's reasoning for the Blackphone statement....

(edit): I read the statement about the BlackPhone. I don't think Chen was agreeing, I think he was just regurgitated that the only company who dares to compare their security (and even says it is higher) than BlackBerry is BlackPhone.
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 10-08-15 at 02:02 PM.
    10-08-15 12:58 PM
    Thanks for that point Dunt. Yes, I should not presume that some here did not know that.

I have not watched this clip, but I would like to hear Chen's reasoning for the Blackphone statement....
    I imagine it was to make the PRIV a little more consumer friendly than the BlackPhone... That and BlackBerry has had less time to work on this Android Switch, while Ars Technica has had several years dealing with Android code.
    10-08-15 01:01 PM
    Chen today :
    "We work with Google, but I can't guarantee anything, maybe that's a dumb thing for me to say, but we think we'll be more resilient than anyone else. We inject a PIN in every chip in every phone, even the Android ones, and our security reaches the entire stack."

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 01:29 PM
    It's been a long time since BlackBerry was on top of the smartphone world, and these days, its ambitions appear to be a bit more modest than they used to. In an interview at the Code Mobile conference today, CEO John Chen told The Verge that his goal is to sell five million smartphones a year, which will be necessary to make the business profitable. If that doesn't happen, Chen hinted that BlackBerry may exit handset business altogether, which would be a huge shift from the BlackBerry of the past.

A lot of that volume is expected to come from the upcoming BlackBerry Priv, the Android-powered slider device that Chen says will launch before the end of the year. (In its most recent financial quarter, BlackBerry sold just 800,000 phones.) The Priv runs Android and not BlackBerry's own BB10 software, but it will have the company's security technology baked in. Chen says BlackBerry's security is currently on par with Samsung's Knox, but its device will have better battery technology, better antenna technology, a physical keyboard, and other high-end specs that will make it a compelling option compared to Samsung or other devices.

"The Priv may be the last BlackBerry smartphone if it doesn't succeed"

Chen wouldn't commit to saying that we'll never see another BB10 device again, but he noted that the market for BB10 devices has been squarely in the high-security business, such as governments and hospitals. BlackBerry will continue to support those customers with software updates, but since they don't upgrade their devices very often, the impetus to come out with new hardware often is low.

But getting the consumers that do upgrade their phones often to buy the Priv won't be easy — it's been nearly impossible to purchase a BlackBerry device in carrier stores in the US for years now and most people just don't think of BlackBerry when they want to buy a new phone. To rectify that, Chen says he's working directly with carriers to sell the Priv and that we'll definitely see it in carrier stores when it launches. He notes that the carriers are excited to offer the device, since their staff already knows Android and can help customers with it.

Five million phones a year is a drop in the bucket for a company such as Samsung or Apple, but for BlackBerry, it's a number that is attainable and necessary to turn around its flailing handset business. And if it doesn't happen with the Priv, well, we just might not see another BlackBerry smartphone again.

BlackBerry CEO wants to sell 5 million phones a year | The Verge
    10-08-15 01:36 PM
    BlackBerry May Quit Handsets if It Can?t Make Money by Next Year, Says CEO John Chen | Re/code

BlackBerry CEO John Chen said Thursday that the long-struggling company that pioneered the smartphone would consider exiting the handset business in a year if it’s not profitable.

Chen had previously said that he would consider exiting the handset business if he couldn’t make money, but declined to provide a timeline.

Even as the company announced plans to ship the next generation of BlackBerry phones that meet government security standards, Chen said that the “business case” would determine whether the Canadian company would make any subsequent devices.

“I’m in the handset business because I believe there’s value added and a market that is underserved,” Chen said Thursday at the Code/Mobile conference at The Ritz-Carlton in Half Moon Bay, Calif.

The plain-spoken and sometimes provocative Chen delivered the sober assessment even as he showed off the new Android-powered BlackBerry. The company plans to launch the Priv later this year, a smartphone with a slide-out keyboard, running the Google-sanctioned flavor of Android.

The move to support Android comes as BlackBerry has been losing significant ground in phones, with its market share dipping below 1 percent. Chen has said he has some patience for the hardware market but has indicated that patience is wearing thin and not unlimited.

At the Code/Mobile conference, Chen said BlackBerry’s embrace of the Android platform addresses one of the company’s critical voids — the need for apps.

“What I’m doing [is] taking advantage of what the industry can offer, but not wandering off our core strength,” said Chen. The company has also been moving to get more of its sales from software. Most recently, BlackBerry announced plans to spend $425 million to buy Good Technology, a rival in the business of helping companies manage the mobile devices accessing their corporate networks.

Asked about supporting two operating systems — Android and BlackBerry 10 — Chen said that is the plan for now. However, he added that if he could bring all the security features of BB10 to Android, he would consider dropping BB10 in a year or two.

Meanwhile, the company is a quiet force in the connected car market, thanks to its acquisition of QNX a few years back.
    10-08-15 01:40 PM
    I imagine it was to make the PRIV a little more consumer friendly than the BlackPhone... That and BlackBerry has had less time to work on this Android Switch, while Ars Technica has had several years dealing with Android code.
    Isn't Ars Technica a tech website? I thought SilentCircle mad the BlackPhone?
    10-08-15 01:42 PM
    Understood, but if I own, say, 10k shares of the company issuing 1M shares available, then if the company buys back 10% to reduce the total available shares, then aren't my shares worth a larger percentage now? Therefore, when the stock moves upward, my position is sort of non-linear(?)
    M8, Lagoon, CJ, Dashwantz, and any others? Bueller?

PS - if Edgarblog agrees to play nice with us in the sandbox, I would like to continue to get his take on all this movement lately.
    "The purpose of this repurchase program will be to offset dilution that may result from our proposed employee share purchase plan and from proposed amendments to our equity incentive plan,"

I don't think this is like Apple and their repurchase program to purchase for cancellation to add value back to the company. These shares are meant to cover other shares that are being given out as incentives to give employees and investment in the company.
    10-08-15 01:52 PM
    "The purpose of this repurchase program will be to offset dilution that may result from our proposed employee share purchase plan and from proposed amendments to our equity incentive plan,"

I don't think this is like Apple and their repurchase program to purchase for cancellation to add value back to the company. These shares are meant to cover other shares that are being given out as incentives to give employees and investment in the company.
    That statement was made before they more than doubled the buyback allotment. I doubt the dilution will keep pace, but you never know.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 02:00 PM
    I'm not sure that I quite liked what Chen said regarding the devices time frame. By him saying that he'll probably need to stop the hardware business by next year is only alluding to people's conception about BlackBerry being a dead business. (and the anti BlackBerry crowd to scream "RIP")

Now, that may sway people to not purchase the upcoming Priv device simply because they'd rather not invest their money into a BlackBerry if that'll be the last (or first) they own.

People buy into ecosystems these days and with the media saying "Chen gives devices 1 year to make money or else" won't instil buying confidence to potential and willing customers. He should have just said what he's been saying all this time.. "we're committed to BlackBerry 10 and devices" etc etc.

It seems to me they're preparing for the worst and the Priv is to be the last device.

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, spiller, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    10-08-15 02:02 PM

The intention was to replace the effects of dilution with a retirement program for outstanding common shares. That changed when BlackBerry issued 4 MM worth share options this year and purchased 6 MM in late July. They have now added 15 MM to the outstanding balance of 6 MM shares which by any strength of imagination is a blatant order to retire far more shares than they would have required after issuance to employees in stock option form.
    10-08-15 02:04 PM
    I'm not sure that I quite liked what Chen said regarding the devices time frame. By him saying that he'll probably need to stop the hardware business by next year is only alluding to people's conception about BlackBerry being a dead business. (and the anti BlackBerry crowd to scream "RIP")

Now, that may sway people to not purchase the upcoming Priv device simply because they'd rather not invest their money into a BlackBerry if that'll be the last (or first) they own.

People buy into ecosystems these days and with the media saying "Chen gives devices 1 year to make money or else" won't instil buying confidence to potential and willing customers. He should have just said what he's been saying all this time.. "we're committed to BlackBerry 10 and devices" etc etc.

It seems to me they're preparing for the worst and the Priv is to be the last device.

Posted via CB10
    when verge or re-code edit, it doesn't do justice some times and we have seen in the past. hopefully, the video will be released "sooner" than the last years interview.
    here is from CB
    John Chen discusses Priv, the future of BlackBerry 10 and more at Code/Mobile | CrackBerry.com
    10-08-15 02:07 PM
    Chen has to learn to address different audiences. He was responding to questions at a technical venue with consumer oriented media present. But he was interviewing like he was at a quarterly earnings Q&A.

It's worth noting that Chen has reduced the numbers from a few months back when he said 10 million devices were needed. He now says they need 5 million per year to keep the hardware side going.
    10-08-15 02:12 PM
    Chen has to learn to address different audiences. He was responding to questions at a technical venue with consumer oriented media present. But he was interviewing like he was at a quarterly earnings Q&A.

It's worth noting that Chen has reduced the numbers from a few months back when he said 10 million devices were needed. He now says they need 5 million per year to keep the hardware side going.
    Still confusing though, not sure if all combined hardware 5million or as some reports suggest that Priv has to be 5mill break even point?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and W Hoa like this.
    10-08-15 02:14 PM
    Are you allowed swing trades with smaller blocks? Say, 1k shares?
    Is this standard hat across the industry?
    My firm doesn't allow any short term trades at all (less than 30 day holding period), regardless of the trade size/quantity.

From what I know, all or most firms require you to notify the firm of your trading activity, as this is an industry regulation. But not all firms have a minimum holding time-frame requirement. The firms have to at least meat the minimum regulatory requirements, but some impose more stringent restrictions, such as mine. I spoke to an employee at my personal broker, and he advised me that his firm doesn't have a minimum holding time-frame, but they won't allow him to short the market. All of their trades have to be bullish. So I guess each company has their own quirks.

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    10-08-15 02:37 PM

Don't forget that there are many in Wall Street that look at this as a positive. I think Chen is playing a bit coy here, and really don't see him eliminating bb10 altogether; unless the high security industries give the green light to.
    sidhuk, morganplus8, W Hoa and 3 others like this.
    10-08-15 02:49 PM
    Don't forget that there are many in Wall Street that look at this as a positive. I think Chen is playing a bit coy here, and really don't see him eliminating bb10 altogether; unless the high security industries give the green light to.
    Yeah, I agree that it's a kinda dumb thing to say. It hasn't been an exciting day for me. Let's be honest, Chen is going to release these two BlackBerry 10 devices he mentions without any backing at all, and they won't sell as a result. Then he'll give up on BlackBerry 10 and probably just sell Android phones. I don't see them leaving devices completely, because Android phones do sell, but it's looking like the 'end of the BlackBerry world as we know it'. I don't feel fine

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 02:56 PM
    Yeah, I agree that it's a kinda dumb thing to say. It hasn't been an exciting day for me. Let's be honest, Chen is going to release these two BlackBerry 10 devices he mentions without any backing at all, and they won't sell as a result. Then he'll give up on BlackBerry 10 and probably just sell Android phones. I don't see them leaving devices completely, because Android phones do sell, but it's looking like the 'end of the BlackBerry world as we know it'. I don't feel fine

Posted via CB10
    I'll step in and straight out before people starting buying shares on the basis of this - that is a misquote - he was talking about the point security patch updates there are no phones.
    10-08-15 02:59 PM
    I think thisis a terrible way to talk about the product and the future of blackberry handsets. Chen has very little to lose by saying this will arguably be the best Android device on the market -- better battery management, innovative slide out 'touchpad' keyboard, best antenna / call strength, bb hub/email and productivity suite (if it does come stock and not just BES).

Why not say "We only need 5M device sales to be profitable. Just 1% of worldwide Android handset sales would equate to 7M Priv sales. And this doesn't count our BB10 device sales. We are very excited about the future of Blackberry and regaining a strong position in the handset market"

!!!

The way I read his quotes, if I am uninformed, means "well, maybe i shouldn't buy a Blackberry Android as they might leave the market and I won't be supported". Damn dumb.

It's been a long time since BlackBerry was on top of the smartphone world, and these days, its ambitions appear to be a bit more modest than they used to. In an interview at the Code Mobile conference today, CEO John Chen told The Verge that his goal is to sell five million smartphones a year, which will be necessary to make the business profitable. If that doesn't happen, Chen hinted that BlackBerry may exit handset business altogether, which would be a huge shift from the BlackBerry of the past.

A lot of that volume is expected to come from the upcoming BlackBerry Priv, the Android-powered slider device that Chen says will launch before the end of the year. (In its most recent financial quarter, BlackBerry sold just 800,000 phones.) The Priv runs Android and not BlackBerry's own BB10 software, but it will have the company's security technology baked in. Chen says BlackBerry's security is currently on par with Samsung's Knox, but its device will have better battery technology, better antenna technology, a physical keyboard, and other high-end specs that will make it a compelling option compared to Samsung or other devices.

"The Priv may be the last BlackBerry smartphone if it doesn't succeed"

Chen wouldn't commit to saying that we'll never see another BB10 device again, but he noted that the market for BB10 devices has been squarely in the high-security business, such as governments and hospitals. BlackBerry will continue to support those customers with software updates, but since they don't upgrade their devices very often, the impetus to come out with new hardware often is low.

But getting the consumers that do upgrade their phones often to buy the Priv won't be easy — it's been nearly impossible to purchase a BlackBerry device in carrier stores in the US for years now and most people just don't think of BlackBerry when they want to buy a new phone. To rectify that, Chen says he's working directly with carriers to sell the Priv and that we'll definitely see it in carrier stores when it launches. He notes that the carriers are excited to offer the device, since their staff already knows Android and can help customers with it.

Five million phones a year is a drop in the bucket for a company such as Samsung or Apple, but for BlackBerry, it's a number that is attainable and necessary to turn around its flailing handset business. And if it doesn't happen with the Priv, well, we just might not see another BlackBerry smartphone again.

BlackBerry CEO wants to sell 5 million phones a year | The Verge
    10-08-15 03:02 PM
    I know we all *want* to catch the bottom, probably moreso for psychological reasons, but in the grand scheme of things, is $7 really that bad lol?....back the truck up and load up if you feel there is significant upside potential--and if and when it hits $100 again, I'm sure you won't miss the $1/share price difference.

I've been there too -- took my last profits a while back in the 9-10 range and bought back in a few wks before ER at 7.50s...wanted to load up more in the 6s too, but I also didn't want to try to catch a falling knife. I may grab some more blocks now though with the way things have been trending w/ news of the Priv, etc...*cheers*

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    Lol I hear ya. I literally had the price set in my head though at around $6 would be my buy. I waited for months only to go on a cruise for a week while it hits my target.

My fault for not putting an order in, but I prefer to watch the stock market in general as well and don't usually rely on any GTC orders. I'm keeping an eye on it. In the bigger picture, what's a buck or two?

...but, wow that interview did not instill much confidence from Chen. Will have to read through the rest of this thread; just hopped back on here. I know revs should be bottoming out. The stock has been unlike bbry strong, but just SMH at that Chen interview.

Funny, I remember a while back posting here complaining I'd probably never see under $10 once the buybacks were initially announced. As I wrote, I'm re-thinking an entry depending on what happens from here.

I guess I'm a bit jaded still since I took my first loss on bbry a few months ago. Have always made money trading within our old $9-12 range. Pretty simple really lol. I have a few questions now though after that interview.

BlackBerry is trading at basically not much considering all acquisitions, partnerships, and on and on. I knew the downside around $6 was minimal. We'll see where I end up in at.

I appreciate the feedback though :-)

Posted via CB10
    ZayDub, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    10-08-15 03:29 PM
    I agree that from Wall Street and shareholders point of view and end of BB10 will be a very good thing for the bottom line.

But for owners of BB10 devices and fans of BlackBerry having their own unique platform... not so much.

He was being coy in not answering the direct questions about BB10 hardware.... That might have more to do with the PRIV not being a revenue generating product yet, and a need to keep BB10 devices selling for as long as possible. But either way it is something new, we know the old business plan with BB10 as the focus for hardware wasn't working. This at least has some possibilities....
    10-08-15 03:41 PM
    I'll step in and straight out before people starting buying shares on the basis of this - that is a misquote - he was talking about the point security patch updates there are no phones.
    Now that you bring up misquotes. Was you post on September 25th about not returning until next March one of those? If so, how will BB share price react I wonder?

Can you clarify what you meant please?
    Toodeurep, 3MIKE and sidhuk like this.
    10-08-15 03:49 PM
  23. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I think thisis a terrible way to talk about the product and the future of blackberry handsets. Chen has very little to lose by saying this will arguably be the best Android device on the market -- better battery management, innovative slide out 'touchpad' keyboard, best antenna / call strength, bb hub/email and productivity suite (if it does come stock and not just BES).

Why not say "We only need 5M device sales to be profitable. Just 1% of worldwide Android handset sales would equate to 7M Priv sales. And this doesn't count our BB10 device sales. We are very excited about the future of Blackberry and regaining a strong position in the handset market"

!!!

The way I read his quotes, if I am uninformed, means "well, maybe i shouldn't buy a Blackberry Android as they might leave the market and I won't be supported". Damn dumb.
    CEO Chen has always taken an understated / candid position with his "marketing comments" which contributes to his credibility.... better to exceed expectations and be under the radar until the right time... when is the right time? ... just as you are ready to launch product / service.... then you come out full guns blazing .... However, I would prefer he not praise the competition too much and redirect to positive comments about the company and its products / services....instead.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 03:52 PM
    Lol I hear ya. I literally had the price set in my head though at around $6 would be my buy. I waited for months only to go on a cruise for a week while it hits my target.

My fault for not putting an order in, but I prefer to watch the stock market in general as well and don't usually rely on any GTC orders. I'm keeping an eye on it. In the bigger picture, what's a buck or two?

...but, wow that interview did not instill much confidence from Chen. Will have to read through the rest of this thread; just hopped back on here. I know revs should be bottoming out. The stock has been unlike bbry strong, but just SMH at that Chen interview.

Funny, I remember a while back posting here complaining I'd probably never see under $10 once the buybacks were initially announced. As I wrote, I'm re-thinking an entry depending on what happens from here.

I guess I'm a bit jaded still since I took my first loss on bbry a few months ago. Have always made money trading within our old $9-12 range. Pretty simple really lol. I have a few questions now though after that interview.

BlackBerry is trading at basically not much considering all acquisitions, partnerships, and on and on. I knew the downside around $6 was minimal. We'll see where I end up in at.

I appreciate the feedback though :-)

Posted via CB10
    I definitely understand your sentiment. I've had my share of losses on BlackBerry too, but overall it's been a positive gain. That's why I prefer the swing trading method and try to mitigate long term exposure/catalysts when the big picture isn't clear yet.

RLTurn77 likes this.
    10-08-15 03:54 PM
    Now that you bring up misquotes. Was you post on September 25th about not returning until next March one of those? If so, how will BB share price react I wonder?

Can you clarify what you meant please?
    Good point but remember why I said I'd come back in March ? See you all in March when we can compare track records again.
    10-08-15 03:56 PM
113,251 ... 36013602360336043605 ...