702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    10-06-15 07:29 PM
    John Chen to speak at Re/Code on Thusday at 9:10AM PST
    Info given from my contact at BBRY

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 07:45 PM
    Looking forward to hearing the news of BBM hits 1B 'Add' requests....

Some days I feel like one of MacArthur's men in the trenches with this company. I can only imagine what life must be like for Chen and crew.
    10-06-15 07:55 PM
    10-06-15 08:09 PM
    J That Windows10 platform is going to be a tough opponent in the enterprise space (yes, for apps too. Office365 covers pretty much everything a worker needs).

... Except security.

Oh, and I am with you regarding Windows phone on BlackBerry hardware. I would rather use Windows gear for business then Android or Apple at this point. If BlackBerry involved themselves with a secure Windows phone with bb10 hardened apps....
    Or Nokia hardware featuring the best of bb10 software and services.
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 10-06-15 at 08:32 PM.
    3MIKE, CDM76, Superfly_FR and 5 others like this.
    10-06-15 08:17 PM
    John Chen to speak at Re/Code on Thusday at 9:10AM PST
    Info given from my contact at BBRY

Posted via CB10
    where can we view that event? is that online?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 08:55 PM
    On the OT tip. Feeling a bit frisky this eve:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-mockit_06102015185718.jpg
    Corbu, cjcampbell, jxnb and 5 others like this.
    10-06-15 08:59 PM
    where can we view that event? is that online?
    Unless I am mistaken, it is not:
    Code/Mobile ? Mobile | Re/code | Re/code
    10-06-15 09:26 PM
    Well, if we can hold onto this closing price and move on up, I'll be happy. We held the top line despite heavy selling, which in our favour, lowered the RSI to allow for upward movement. With that said, I expect tomorrow to be a down day as we are now pushing on the 20-ema on the daily chart. I wouldn't mind a slightly down day anyway. The volume would let us know what people are feeling.

With that said, here's my 3 minute chart for today's trade. Resistance and support levels are clear and the MA's, after 11am, were in control

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2015-10-06-11.00.53-pm.png
    10-06-15 10:12 PM
    So, if Chen is going to speak on Thursday 9am, has the recent stock price shift up been a buy the rumor sell the news type thing?

I bought some at $8.06 can$ with the intent of flipping itat around $9. But this jump happened so quick it has me wondering do I get greedy and hold or sell and buy Halo?

I have a fair chunk of BB that I am holding till the 100 party, but this other account I thought I would try to trade it, I, we have seen so many price jumps and then dumps, that at some point I feel like I want to profit from those moves

Thanks to all the great people here who I have been following for the past several years

So, another question, does Halo hit 20 again before BlackBerry hits $10 usd?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 10:50 PM
    Looking forward to hearing the news of BBM hits 1B 'Add' requests....

Some days I feel like one of MacArthur's men in the trenches with this company. I can only imagine what life must be like for Chen and crew.
    Well, MacArthur and crew didn't do much fighting in trenches, as it was WWII and not WWI, but I like the fighting spirit!

Posted via CB10
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    10-07-15 12:36 AM
    I picked 1K shares last week at $6.15. Might be pickup more if it is under 7 and anticipation for PriV release.
    Superfly_FR, rarsen, 3_M4N and 2 others like this.
    10-07-15 01:52 AM
    Hey, welcome aboard guys !
    The gang.
    10-07-15 03:56 AM
    So, if Chen is going to speak on Thursday 9am, has the recent stock price shift up been a buy the rumor sell the news type thing?

I bought some at $8.06 can$ with the intent of flipping itat around $9. But this jump happened so quick it has me wondering do I get greedy and hold or sell and buy Halo?

I have a fair chunk of BB that I am holding till the 100 party, but this other account I thought I would try to trade it, I, we have seen so many price jumps and then dumps, that at some point I feel like I want to profit from those moves

Thanks to all the great people here who I have been following for the past several years

So, another question, does Halo hit 20 again before BlackBerry hits $10 usd?

Posted via CB10
    Looks like you're in a win win situation here. It's never a bad thing to take profit so consider selling half of the BlackBerry shares you recently bought and convert it to Halo so you'll have more irons in the fire (that's been my strategy in the last few weeks). I think that Halo will be the more volatile one in the short term and you may have bigger swings to make some interesting trades with it... all this is just my humble opinion of course.
    Last edited by OlympusMons; 10-07-15 at 04:59 AM.
    10-07-15 04:25 AM
    Thanks Olympus

That's a good idea.
    I just think back to the Z10 release, when the stock ran up bigtime, then fell down to $12 too I think

I wonder if the actual priv announcement, it's just gonna fall back. Mind you not that far to fall, so maybe this time it will simply pop and stay up

But, yes taking 10-12% profit would be the first profit if taken! So that is a good thing!

Posted via CB10
    OlympusMons likes this.
    10-07-15 04:55 AM
    Re: Tata deal....so now we know why Pakistan banned BlackBerry, haha.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 05:36 AM
    ... Except security.

Oh, and I am with you regarding Windows phone on BlackBerry hardware. I would rather use Windows gear for business then Android or Apple at this point. If BlackBerry involved themselves with a secure Windows phone with bb10 hardened apps....
    Or Nokia hardware featuring the best of bb10 software and services.
    I've always wanted to use Microsoft's keyboard shortcuts on my BlackBerry. This is an idea I'd like to see explored more.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible Classic! 
    10-07-15 06:42 AM
    Anyone agree with this article?

BlackBerry: Why Share Buybacks Aren't A Good Idea Right Now - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

BlackBerry: Why Share Buybacks Aren't A Good Idea Right Now

Oct. 6, 2015 12:06 PM ET | 38 comments | About: BlackBerry Ltd. (BBRY)

Disclosure: I am/we are long BBRY. (More...)

Summary

�Investors are losing hope in BlackBerry's turnaround, which is why the stock is down ~40% year-to-date.

�BlackBerry trades at around cash and investment value.

�However, the smartphone maker has substantial resources sitting on its balance sheets that could be used for stock buybacks, as some have suggested.

�I discuss whether BlackBerry should buy back its own stock or not.

BlackBerry's (NASDAQ:BBRY) stock has been bouncing around quite a bit lately, but the trend is not encouraging. BlackBerry lost ~8% of its value after the release of soft second quarter results in September disappointed investors.

BlackBerry has demonstrated initiative in 2014-15. It bought a few smaller companies to strengthen its device management and security services offering, including Good Technology for $425 million in September. It launched new phone products such as the Passport, but the turnaround has nonetheless failed to gain any significant traction. Second quarter results were only one indication that the smartphone company continues to struggle. CEO John Chen's admission earlier this year that layoffs would pick up again was another hint that BlackBerry is having trouble getting the turnaround off the ground.

As such, the stock has sold off sharply since May, and has failed to rebound in any meaningful way. As a result, BlackBerry's stock is down ~40% in 2015.

(click to enlarge)

Source: StockCharts.com

So, what about stock buybacks?

One of the things that BlackBerry has going for it, is that the company has a rock-solid balance sheet with billions of dollars parked in cash, cash equivalents as well as short- and long-term investments. According to BlackBerry's second quarter financial release, the company had ~$3.3 billion sitting on its balance sheet in 'hard assets'.

In my last article about BlackBerry I calculated that the company held about ~$6.29 per share in cash and investments. Considering that BlackBerry continues to trade in the $6-7 price range, investors are only required to pay a small premium to BlackBerry's cash and investment value right now.

But should BlackBerry utilize the cash on its balance sheets to buy back its own stock as long as its valuation is distressed?

I am, for the most part, in favor of companies buying back their own shares. However, I am against stock buybacks in the case of BlackBerry for two simple reasons:
    1.A stock buyback that does not go hand in hand with material financial improvements, particularly in hardware sales, would most likely only be a straw fire; and that's not in the interest of long-term minded shareholders.
    2.A stock buyback may actually weaken BlackBerry if the company spends a lot of cash for this purpose. BlackBerry "pays" for stock buybacks with a weaker balance sheet.

Let's not forget that BlackBerry's stock trades at approximately cash and investment value. Put differently, the only thing that supports BlackBerry's stock price right now is the company's fortress balance sheet. If BlackBerry allocated the cash to share buybacks, shares would likely pop in the near-term on investor excitement, but would likely soon thereafter falter because operational results are not keeping up with heightened expectations. The consequence: BlackBerry would light a straw fire and, first and foremost, weaken its balance sheet, which is not in the interest of a company that has yet to stabilize revenues.

Your Takeaway

Stock buybacks are for the most part a good idea, and I am the most ardent supporter of them -- as long as the company has a fully functioning, growing business that churns out recurring cash. A low stock price is simply not enough to justify stock buybacks, especially when in the case of BlackBerry the company's investments and cash resources are the only reason why the stock hasn't fallen any further.
    Reed Richards and sidhuk like this.
    10-07-15 08:09 AM
    so you'll have more irons in the fire
    Should be written in gold letters on each page of this thread ...
    10-07-15 08:19 AM
    Anyone agree with this article?

BlackBerry: Why Share Buybacks Aren't A Good Idea Right Now - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

BlackBerry: Why Share Buybacks Aren't A Good Idea Right Now

Oct. 6, 2015 12:06 PM ET | 38 comments | About: BlackBerry Ltd. (BBRY)

Disclosure: I am/we are long BBRY. (More...)

Summary

•Investors are losing hope in BlackBerry's turnaround, which is why the stock is down ~40% year-to-date.

•BlackBerry trades at around cash and investment value.

•However, the smartphone maker has substantial resources sitting on its balance sheets that could be used for stock buybacks, as some have suggested.

•I discuss whether BlackBerry should buy back its own stock or not.

I would agree if it was written by John Chen who knew precisely the reasons for the share buy back. If the article was written by someone guessing the reasons for a buy back and opposing it based on his/her guesses on the financial health of the company, then buying back shares at 'cash value' seems like a good deal to me.
    Last edited by plasmid_boy; 10-07-15 at 09:02 AM.
    10-07-15 08:41 AM
    10-07-15 08:56 AM
    Should be written in gold letters on each page of this thread ...
    LOL, I thought I deleted my sell order of those shares when I bought them at $8.06, I immediately made a sell order for $8.86.. but I thought I deleted that order after a day or two.

Well, I didn't delete, I got a notification they sold at $8.93... I guess it's easier when someone else decides for me!

.... now about that 'iron' called HALO, any thoughts if now is a good time to get on that ship?

I watched you guys talk about it when it was at $7 and watched it go to $25+ and back to where it is now.

I have learned a lot about it from Morgan's commentary on it and might jump in. Looks like it tried to go up this am, might be a good time to try a few and hope for a bit of a pop

... I feel I need to do something, I've been sitting on BlackBerry stock for so long, that I want to 'play' a little

Thanks guys and gals for all your great posts

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 09:13 AM
    A big candel to start a new day; what else?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-07-15 09:17 AM
    10-07-15 10:42 AM
    The leap is actually a nice phone.
    CDM76 and 3MIKE like this.
    10-07-15 11:35 AM
113,256 ... 35943595359635973598 ...