View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    One thing that everyone seems to be missing is this:

Existing BlackBerry 10 users (z10, q10, z30 era) are looking to upgrade. I am, I know. Most existing BlackBerry 10 users are now BlackBerry 10 users because they really like BlackBerry - either OS, or keyboard or hub app or BlackBerry brand, or a combination of these factors.

So, a lot of these will definitely buy new Android BlackBerry. I think these upgrades (bb10 to android BlackBerry) alone would easily cross 2 million devices.

So, really, the overall 5m device target to break-even is not out of reach at all. 2m of these 5m would easily be upgrades.

3m from remaining BlackBerry + Android market is a ridiculously small number.

Will we get way more than 5m sales? That's something that'd depend on marketing/advertising. But break-even number of 5m sales is not at risk, I think.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 06:15 PM
    10-02-15 06:25 PM
    Just for the title, which I very much like:
    BlackBerry Picks A Fight About Security With Apple | Androidheadlines.com

There have been quite a few similarly themed articles, lately.

Anything to create a buzz, please...
    10-02-15 06:27 PM
    To add to point #2 I'd also mention that the public's response to the Priv has been very positive. Just look at the comments on articles and even YouTube videos. Android users in general are excited for this new device. It's interesting. The majority of negative comments seen are actually BlackBerry purists who want to see a BB1 version and refuse to use a phone running Android (even if the hardware is made by BlackBerry). Apparently users from other platforms are in general more excited about the new BlackBerry than the existing core BlackBerry user base. These of course are just my general impressions from reading through comments.
    Good points. I have honestly been almost shocked at the positivity of the non-BB folks out there - I had not expected it to be near this level. As others have pointed out, every time some news comes out, it jumps up to the top of the Android subreddit. Also true about a lot of negativity coming from BB10 users - and I totally get the frustration. But as this is a BBRY thread, I think most of us would agree trying Android is the right move at this point.

One thing that everyone seems to be missing is this:

Existing BlackBerry 10 users (z10, q10, z30 era) are looking to upgrade. I am, I know. Most existing BlackBerry 10 users are now BlackBerry 10 users because they really like BlackBerry - either OS, or keyboard or hub app or BlackBerry brand, or a combination of these factors.

So, a lot of these will definitely buy new Android BlackBerry. I think these upgrades (bb10 to android BlackBerry) alone would easily cross 2 million devices.
    On the main page, the poll regarding if people would buy the Priv was fairly mixed. Although that is obviously the most hardcore BlackBerry enthusiasts. I agree on your point though that there will be a decent amount of BlackBerry upgrades from both BB10 and even BBOS6/7 as well. Interesting times, indeed.
    Corbu, 3MIKE, 3_M4N and 2 others like this.
    10-02-15 06:29 PM
    Yes interesting comments all over.

It's amazing how many people are excited about the keyboard.

Even commenters on BGR saying they will pick up a PRIV instead of iPhone.
    10-02-15 07:13 PM
    Welcome back, b!
    sidhuk, kadakn01, 3MIKE and 4 others like this.
    10-02-15 07:23 PM
    Welcome back, b!
    theRock1975, Corbu, sidhuk and 8 others like this.
    10-02-15 07:27 PM
    You were missed. We need you, around here. Please stay!
    10-02-15 07:28 PM
    More than marketing, I think that 2 points are essential.

. Give a perfect device to reviewers, without any bug, a good battery life and all apps running smoothly.

. Have a decent amount of devices for launch time. And be sure that the demand can find quickly an answer if it's higher than expected. There's a new high end device on android every 2 months, android people won't wait 6 month to have their Priv.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 07:28 PM
    Carter it's nice to have you back!

Cheers!
    Last edited by bbjdog; 10-02-15 at 08:25 PM.
    10-02-15 08:11 PM
    Weekend entertainment from the real Kotter

3MIKE likes this.
    10-02-15 08:56 PM
    Yess ! Welcome back !
    bungaboy and Corbu like this.
    10-02-15 09:03 PM
    More than marketing, I think that 2 points are essential.

. Give a perfect device to reviewers, without any bug, a good battery life and all apps running smoothly.

. Have a decent amount of devices for launch time. And be sure that the demand can find quickly an answer if it's higher than expected. There's a new high end device on android every 2 months, android people won't wait 6 month to have their Priv.

Posted via CB10
    Agree. + price it $599

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    10-02-15 09:10 PM
    I could see it doing well just from the fact that it's different from any other slab phone out there... generally we hear that people don't want keyboards but many don't want it in the form factor of the classic/passport... this one being an android and sporting a full size screen and being thin will right away stand out as being the cool kid on the block... I can already see my people in my surroundings saying "what phone is that!??" in a very curious/interested tone...An all touch device only would just blend in with all the others right now and BB would be ridiculed for that desperate attempt to sell phones. The slider as it looks now will be the differentiator! Hope it lives up to the hype!
    I really hope you are right. I really do. It would be a sad day to see BlackBerry hardware dept closed down.

Edit : But I'm still worried about the expected LACK of marketing.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CDM76; 10-03-15 at 12:06 AM.
    peteberry12 and 3MIKE like this.
    10-02-15 11:41 PM
    Welcome back, b!
    Welcome back Obi-Wan.....!!!!
    3MIKE, bungaboy, Corbu and 2 others like this.
    10-03-15 02:27 AM
    Weekend OT for those inquiring minds from Related Technologies files:

iPhone 6s Plus: Will it bend? | ZDNet
    "The bottom line: The new iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus does indeed seem stronger than the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus that was released last year. Will it bend? Or course it will, after all it's made of aluminum and glass, but the force needed to bend it seems to be a lot greater."
    morganplus8, 3MIKE and Mr BBRY like this.
    10-03-15 07:56 AM
    10-03-15 08:09 AM
    And another hack from the Related Technologies and Security files added to the list. Eventually everyone will have been hacked except BB software users?:

Scottrade suffers hack; 4.6M customers notified of breach | ZDNet
    Passwords were also encrypted, but it's not clear which cryptography -- some of which are widely considered deprecated -- was used by the company. Krebs hypothesized that the stolen contact to facilitate stock scams by way of spam emails."
    bungaboy, 3MIKE, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    10-03-15 09:08 AM
    And another hack from the Related Technologies and Security files added to the list. Eventually everyone will have been hacked except BB software users?:

Scottrade suffers hack; 4.6M customers notified of breach | ZDNet
    Passwords were also encrypted, but it's not clear which cryptography -- some of which are widely considered deprecated -- was used by the company. Krebs hypothesized that the stolen contact to facilitate stock scams by way of spam emails."
    Damn that's who I use. Hmm I didn't get a notification so must not have gotten my stuff. Changing everything anyway to be safe. Thanks for the info

Posted via crackberry10 on my new Z30!
    rarsen and CDM76 like this.
    10-03-15 12:10 PM
    Anyone else here use Questrade? Satisfied with the platform? I've been using it for a few years and pretty happy with it but I can't really compare it to anything other than BMO Investorline which I use for longer term ETF's and never really "traded" on it...
    10-03-15 12:42 PM
    http://rapidmobile.biz/android/news-...s-infographic/

"The infographic includes a selection of devices that are designed to best represent �key devices� in the history of Android. 2015 �key devices� included are the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium, the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and*notably, the BlackBerry PRIV."

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 374286
    10-03-15 01:36 PM
    I do own a few shares from some companies here in the Philippines and would like to buy a few shares from BB but, sadly, my brokerage company doesn't have the option to buy BB stocks.
    Christophe Piquemal and Corbu like this.
    10-03-15 01:45 PM
    Anyone else here use Questrade? Satisfied with the platform? I've been using it for a few years and pretty happy with it but I can't really compare it to anything other than BMO Investorline which I use for longer term ETF's and never really "traded" on it...
    OT - Yes, but not for taking any short positions. The positions got called too often in their earlier years so I still don't use them for that.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-15 02:57 PM
    http://rapidmobile.biz/android/news-...s-infographic/

"The infographic includes a selection of devices that are designed to best represent �key devices� in the history of Android. 2015 �key devices� included are the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium, the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and*notably, the BlackBerry PRIV."

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 374286
    Checking out "Trending" in the top-right corner

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20151003_155553.png
    10-03-15 02:59 PM
    Androidcentral...
    In 2015 I'm excited about a BlackBerry again | Android Central

I, like many others, cut my smartphone teeth in the world of Windows Mobile and BlackBerry. In my case it was mostly the latter, and I can, happily, say that I carried one of the Waterloo company's phones in my arsenal up until just over 2 years ago.

But, now, in 2015, my personal excitement for BlackBerry has returned all thanks to the Priv. I won't lie, I really don't like the name. But the phone looks fantastic. Mostly due to Android.

My last experience of a BlackBerry was the Z10. It replaced my much loved, much abused Bold 9900 which remains one of my all time favorite smartphones to this day. BlackBerry OS 7 was the Achilles heel, but I adored the 9900. It was so close to the old Bold 9000.

Anyway…

BlackBerry 10 has it's good points, but ultimately it's not for me. I found I could use it, but I didn't particularly enjoy the experience. And since the Z10 was just another black slab with a touchscreen, I'd lost one of the things I clung to most from having a BlackBerry in one pocket. So I stopped using it and haven't picked up another BlackBerry since.

In 2015 it looks like I'll be able to get back what I lost without the compromises I wasn't prepared to make. Android — regular, untampered Android, at that — with BlackBerry's legendary keyboard. Take my money. Take it now.

BlackBerry, to me at least, hasn't struggled with the hardware, or even design really in recent years. What's been the problem has been the same thing that afflicts Microsoft, too: Software. Allowing Android apps into BlackBerry — funnily enough, something Microsoft is now doing, albeit in a different way — was a stop gap, but a couple of years ago the experience was horrid. I've not tried it since, but just slapping an app designed to work with one OS into another never felt like a good user experience to me.

So, what we're getting with the Priv — still don't like the name — is the best of both worlds. BlackBerry hardware with the company's legendary physical keyboard and Google's Android. And this is all before we really know, well, anything at all about the phone.

All we need now is the phone. Hurry up, BlackBerry. We're waiting.
    10-03-15 07:23 PM
113,256 ... 35893590359135923593 ...