View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I stayed home for most of this week to buy stock. I picked up Encana (ECA) close to $ 6.00/shr and was I surprised to see it holding up so well. I firmly believe that energy could lead the next rally. Then there was HALO, it traded below $ 13.00/shr and that is stupid cheap. Now the IBB Index is popping again and it will move to new highs in the weeks ahead. Even Clinton can't keep excellent companies down forever. BlackBerry below $ 6.00 is stupid so I bought there too, and today, if it even tries to drop below $ 6.00 again ................................

Great buying this week.
    Yes, I think oil is going to turn around sooner than most people think. we don't have a true oil glut like we experienced in the 80's where the world had to wait for demand to catch up. Right now the current decline rates will eat through the supply surplus in less than 8 months and underlying all this is actually a fairly steady and consistent global demand that is increasing as more developing nations are accessing the taps.

Also bodes well for a lot of industries as more people will want more vehicles, and tech toys to go along with their desires to elevate their socio economic status. I think the Priv will provide enough distinction and exclusivity to attract the current android user base... it won't take much to get us into the black with hardware.

It may seem like doom and gloom according to the press but if you're in Asia and Europe, it's business as usual and we find that the press and media seem like they're witch hunting for any negative headlines to sell; making mountains out of mole hills.
    10-02-15 10:10 AM
    I stayed home for most of this week to buy stock. I picked up Encana (ECA) close to $ 6.00/shr and was I surprised to see it holding up so well. I firmly believe that energy could lead the next rally. Then there was HALO, it traded below $ 13.00/shr and that is stupid cheap. Now the IBB Index is popping again and it will move to new highs in the weeks ahead. Even Clinton can't keep excellent companies down forever. BlackBerry below $ 6.00 is stupid so I bought there too, and today, if it even tries to drop below $ 6.00 again ................................

Great buying this week.
    OT may be not.
    Hi Morganplus8.
    Thanks for all the great stuff here.
    We are invested heavily in the Bakken oil reserve (Canadian side) in the hospitality industry (over 800 rooms). We see no slow down in most of the properties. Potash sector is going well too. (just going through creating hospitality investment fund with over 2000 rooms to start with). Now on the ground here, it doesn't look like as bad as it sounds in the media. What are your thoughts on Trican , canyon , Calfrc , crest point? Looks very attempting. Right now, Blackberry seems like at a good spot to accumulate more.
    Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 10:21 AM
    And that is EXACTLY the reason it may fail...... lack of marketing.

The horribly named Priv is a niche device (not a lot of people want sliders) at best and yet BlackBerry is saying this is its last attempt. The final hail Mary device really should be an android full touch. But hey, what do I know ? LOL

Posted via CB10
    I could see it doing well just from the fact that it's different from any other slab phone out there... generally we hear that people don't want keyboards but many don't want it in the form factor of the classic/passport... this one being an android and sporting a full size screen and being thin will right away stand out as being the cool kid on the block... I can already see my people in my surroundings saying "what phone is that!??" in a very curious/interested tone...An all touch device only would just blend in with all the others right now and BB would be ridiculed for that desperate attempt to sell phones. The slider as it looks now will be the differentiator! Hope it lives up to the hype!
    I think there's a lot here I can only assume has been discussed internally at BlackBerry. I'm speculating here, but it seems as though the slider differentiation factor and the general market opinion that BlackBerry does do keyboards well will allow them (hypothetically at this point) the best chance at entering the Android space. At that point, one can assume if there is some success with the Priv (ie. greater than 5 million annual projected sales at good prices), they would consider an almost identical full-touch, with requisite updated specs and maybe a Passport form factor (maybe with 4 rows?). I don't want to come across as being obsessed with hardware, I'm not blind to where the company is headed - although it certainly seems key in the near term for revenue stabilization/growth and company image.

As for the name...
    morganplus8, 3MIKE, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    10-02-15 10:43 AM
    OT may be not.
    Hi Morganplus8.
    Thanks for all the great stuff here.
    We are invested heavily in the Bakken oil reserve (Canadian side) in the hospitality industry (over 800 rooms). We see no slow down in most of the properties. Potash sector is going well too. (just going through creating hospitality investment fund with over 2000 rooms to start with). Now on the ground here, it doesn't look like as bad as it sounds in the media. What are your thoughts on Trican , canyon , Calfrc , crest point? Looks very attempting. Right now, Blackberry seems like at a good spot to accumulate more.
    Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    This smells of pure OT so I'll speak in terms of the sector. A number of years ago, I invested heavily in the Bakken plays and stepped aside when oil prices spiked and couldn't hold their gains. Today, a good investment in terms of timing is to buy when no one wants that investment and you see the first signs of exhaustion in the stock itself. Energy is acting like that today, the commodity is down hard, it looks like there isn't much chance of it turning around anytime soon but low and behold, the underlying stocks aren't seeing their prices test the Summer crash lows! And so big money is taking this opportunity to step into equities while the commodity price is weak. That's why I bought Encana this week, it is nowhere near its 52 week low even though the world looks to be coming to an end. The same holds true for all energy plays, whether you are in refining or downstream, the numbers will work in the months ahead. Someone needs to tell Encana that the price of oil is down today. Follow the money and have a serious look at anything that is out performing their sector.
    10-02-15 10:43 AM
    Energy stocks will make a good many wealthy in a few years, so cheap. Dollarama prices lol

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, 3MIKE and CDM76 like this.
    10-02-15 11:04 AM
    There is absolutely no reason this phone should not sell well

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, but there is a long list of very good reasons why this phone should not sell well.
    10-02-15 11:23 AM
    Sorry, but there is a long list of very good reasons why this phone should not sell well.
    Thanks for the opinion, would you please elaborate the long list of reasons that this shouldn't sell? it would certainly help me in my investments. Thanks in advance.
    10-02-15 11:32 AM
    Dollarama prices
    That has been one of my favorites for some time. DOL
    Jahcure likes this.
    10-02-15 11:34 AM
    The Blackberry Priv Based on android which many people are familiar with. . Next question if it has the right frequencies to work in countries like china. if it does, it should help in sales.
    Corbu, La Emperor, 3MIKE and 3 others like this.
    10-02-15 11:50 AM

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-c00121fe1_741c0e10-691a-11e5-8184-0200ac11f430.jpeg

BlackBerry Family

Props to Pat Wallace
    10-02-15 12:19 PM
    Well, well, well, we have a sudden swing to the bullish side on a Friday! And BBRY is along for the ride.
    3MIKE, Superfly_FR, lech31 and 4 others like this.
    10-02-15 12:20 PM
    Please, DO NOT print the J word !
    Have a great weekend gang !

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    10-02-15 01:09 PM
    http://www.financialwisdomworks.com/...ks-bbry/59796/

BlackBerry Rating Increased to Hold at Zacks (BBRY)

Posted on October 2, 2015

BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) was upgraded by Zacks from a �strong sell� rating to a �hold� rating in a research report issued on Wednesday,
    sidhuk, lech31, La Emperor and 6 others like this.
    10-02-15 01:26 PM
    http://www.financialwisdomworks.com/...ks-bbry/59796/

BlackBerry Rating Increased to Hold at Zacks (BBRY)

Posted on October 2, 2015

BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) was upgraded by Zacks from a �strong sell� rating to a �hold� rating in a research report issued on Wednesday,
    Another manipulation?

#BBFactCheck
    10-02-15 01:29 PM
    Man I really wanted to jump in on BBRY at around $6 but I opted to use the money instead for some debt payoffs. First really nice paycheck in a while so I figured paying off some 19% credit cards was a solid use for me right now. Congratulations to every one who got in low and returned a good profit so far today!

I did however manage to pull aside enough to buy the priv when it comes out (just in case the checks aren't so good then haha)

:cheers:

Posted via crackberry10 on my new Z30!
    10-02-15 02:22 PM
    Thanks for the opinion, would you please elaborate the long list of reasons that this shouldn't sell? it would certainly help me in my investments. Thanks in advance.
    1. It is a BlackBerry. Right now, the brand's reputation among mainstream consumers is tarnished and BB in a hole when it comes to devices.
    2. As others have pointed out, there is no indication that a keyboard phone is in huge demand and it is the keyboard that is this phone's unique feature.
    3. BlackBerry's recent history of advertising and marketing is not very strong. It is going to take a strong marketing effort and aggressive advertising campaign to sell this device and I have no confidence BlackBerry will make that commitment.
    4. This device will now compete with every other Android device, devices who are already established among consumers.
    sidhuk and Intrestor like this.
    10-02-15 02:34 PM
    1. It is a BlackBerry. Right now, the brand's reputation among mainstream consumers is tarnished and BB in a hole when it comes to devices.
    2. As others have pointed out, there is no indication that a keyboard phone is in huge demand and it is the keyboard that is this phone's unique feature.
    3. BlackBerry's recent history of advertising and marketing is not very strong. It is going to take a strong marketing effort and aggressive advertising campaign to sell this device and I have no confidence BlackBerry will make that commitment.
    4. This device will now compete with every other Android device, devices who are already established among consumers.
    Thanks for that, you had me worried for a bit!
    10-02-15 02:41 PM
    Man I really wanted to jump in on BBRY at around $6 but I opted to use the money instead for some debt payoffs. First really nice paycheck in a while so I figured paying off some 19% credit cards was a solid use for me right now. Congratulations to every one who got in low and returned a good profit so far today!

I did however manage to pull aside enough to buy the priv when it comes out (just in case the checks aren't so good then haha)

:cheers:

Posted via crackberry10 on my new Z30!
    You did the right thing. Carrying a credit card balance at those interest rates is borderline loan-sharking. There's no point investing in something that could yield 15% (hopefully more in our case but no guarantees of course) and pay 19% out the back end... you wouldn't even be treading water.

Never feel like you miss a boat. There's always another one you can catch at a later date as nothing goes up in a straight line. The most general rule I follow is not to sell on a down day and not to buy on an up day... I think that strategy alone would serve most people well.
    10-02-15 02:50 PM
    1. I don't think anyone would argue that the BlackBerry brand is pretty low, particularly in the consumer (esp. American) market; however, most objective observers still respect BlackBerry physical keyboards (and will soon respect their virtual keyboard as well when they see it - side note: hoping they include the swipe predictive text on the physical keyboard like the Passport) and this brings us to...
    2. As myself and others have noted, while the keyboard demand is certainly in the minority, there have been no high-end keyboard Android phones in years. In that sense, they can corner this market (and justify higher ASP than if they were selling a full touch IMO). Nobody would argue that there is 'huge demand' for physical keyboard phones, but I think some may underestimate the demand. Anecdotally, the level of interest for this phone across the web has really surprised me. Let's agree that the demand is to be determined.
    3. I agree with this - hasn't been a strength. Hoping it will be at least decent. If the phone is solid in terms of performance, it seems at the very least the tech sites and mainstream media won't have a problem saying so judging from what's been said so far (again I've been surprised at the lack of negativity regarding this device).
    4. I think again you're seeing the negative side here. Yes it is competing with Android phones, but that's essentially the reason that this phone can have consumer traction. As much as BB10 is a nice OS, it was not competing with Android and clearly carried significant costs to produce/develop.

It's not as if I think this is a guaranteed success in the making or that your points don't carry some validity. They just don't tell the whole story in my view. But it's certainly how many in the market are seeing this. We'll see what happens.

Solid day for BBRY stock - close 6.34.
    10-02-15 03:15 PM
    Thank you for your reply. will find out in few months.
    here is the android phone manufacturers data.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-top-10-1.png
    1. a 1% market share per quarter represents roughly 3.4 million devices and over 13.5 million per year. IMO blackberry brand is not that much tarnished in countries like Indonesia, south Africa and Canada. I understand that Priv is a high end phone so lets say .5% market share? and who is stopping blackberry from making mid tear or cheapest phones if priv has some success? People do trust blackberry security though.
    2.. if the android phone runs blackberry services, the data might be compressed. may save people at least $10 per month. right now android uses the most data.
    3. the keyboard does not take the screen space and phone does look like built nicely. only phone of this kind which will offer both keyboards.
    4. blackberry hub, only phone to have all messages in one place.
    5. I am not sure if Google's own advertising system will help in any form of advertising?
    6. if reports are correct, this will be the first time in a long time that all USA carriers will carry a blackberry phone.
    7. so for the over all response from the media and comments is more positive than any previous blackberry phone.
    Here?s What People Are Saying about PRIV by BlackBerry (Updated) | Inside BlackBerry
    then again. we will know in few months. IMO, this is a good move from blackberry.
    10-02-15 03:16 PM
    Thanks for that data. It made me wonder what the picture is for high-end Android phones. I wasn't able to find it broken down by manufacturer, although Samsung is obviously dominant. Anyway according to IDC data, in 2Q14, Android shipments were 255 million. Then, in another chart they broke down by price segment and Android broke down as follows: 60% 0-200, 20% 200-400, 20% 400+. I'm mostly interested in the $400+, so that comes out to 51 million in the quarter. Again this is a year old data so not sure if the ratios would hold with your totals (1Q15), but say 15% is 400+, that is 51 million, and if it's 20% it's 68, but let's assume it's closer to 15%. So all told, 50+ million $400+ Android smartphones shipped per quarter. That seems to be the market, although that excludes potential iPhone (62 million sold in the 1Q15) users. Anyway, hope this is somewhat helpful.
    10-02-15 03:47 PM
    I agree with you, why would anyone want a keyboard? When they can just add a keyboard to their current phone. You know what I mean, that thing you attach at the bottom of the phone and slides into that rectangle thing.

Who does BlackBerry think they are with all this award winning phones, are they paying the people to give them the awards?

Ot: oil is in a sideways channel and it needs a good pop over 47.00 to 49.00 for confirmation of break out. I suck at this TA! Time for a beer. Lol
    kadakn01, sidhuk, 3MIKE and 5 others like this.
    10-02-15 03:56 PM
    Reading material

Sorry if posted, got this in the morning and haven't had the time.

This week�s most oversold TSX stocks (RTGAM)

Scott Barlow

The S&P/TSX Composite dropped 1.8 per cent in the past week to 10:30 am ET Friday morning and now stands lower by 8.3 per cent year to date. The benchmark remains in neutral technical territory based on Relative Strength Index (RSI), about halfway between the buy signal of 30 and the sell signal of 70.

There are 14 stocks on the oversold list of technically attractive TSX stocks trading below the RSI buy signal. There are distinct themes, Potash Corp and Agrium Inc. represent the agriculture sector, while Blackberry Ltd and Mitel Networks Corp represent technology. Energy, as usual, is well represented by Baxtex Energy Corp., Veresen Inc. and Pengrowth Energy Corp. Forestry stocks remain mired in misery � Interfor Corp and Canfor Corp remain on the oversold list.

I picked Mitel Networks as the focus stock this week, in large part because analysts remain so wildly bullish on the company despite a year-to-date decline of 3.1 per cent. Seven of eight analysts covering Mitel rate it buy- and the average target price of $16.95 implies a stunning 97.6-per-cent return in the next 12 months. Investors will have to do their own fundamental homework, but analyst confidence appears unshakable at this point.

RSI has reliably identified profitable entry points for Mitel stocks in the past two years. A buy signal in April 2014 kicked off a 34-per-cent-rally and another in July 2014 was followed by an even better 44-per-cent rise in stock price. The RSI sell signal of 70 has been less reliable than the buy signal.

Mitel Networks stock is volatile and not a great candidate for risk-averse investors. For more adventurous investors willing to do their fundamental homework, it does, however, look promising in light of technical analysis and analyst optimism.

There are currently no overbought, technically vulnerable TSX stocks this week according to RSI
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    10-02-15 04:00 PM
    1. I don't think anyone would argue that the BlackBerry brand is pretty low, particularly in the consumer (esp. American) market; however, most objective observers still respect BlackBerry physical keyboards (and will soon respect their virtual keyboard as well when they see it - side note: hoping they include the swipe predictive text on the physical keyboard like the Passport) and this brings us to...
    2. As myself and others have noted, while the keyboard demand is certainly in the minority, there have been no high-end keyboard Android phones in years. In that sense, they can corner this market (and justify higher ASP than if they were selling a full touch IMO). Nobody would argue that there is 'huge demand' for physical keyboard phones, but I think some may underestimate the demand. Anecdotally, the level of interest for this phone across the web has really surprised me. Let's agree that the demand is to be determined.
    3. I agree with this - hasn't been a strength. Hoping it will be at least decent. If the phone is solid in terms of performance, it seems at the very least the tech sites and mainstream media won't have a problem saying so judging from what's been said so far (again I've been surprised at the lack of negativity regarding this device).
    4. I think again you're seeing the negative side here. Yes it is competing with Android phones, but that's essentially the reason that this phone can have consumer traction. As much as BB10 is a nice OS, it was not competing with Android and clearly carried significant costs to produce/develop.

It's not as if I think this is a guaranteed success in the making or that your points don't carry some validity. They just don't tell the whole story in my view. But it's certainly how many in the market are seeing this. We'll see what happens.

Solid day for BBRY stock - close 6.34.
    To add to point #2 I'd also mention that the public's response to the Priv has been very positive. Just look at the comments on articles and even YouTube videos. Android users in general are excited for this new device. It's interesting. The majority of negative comments seen are actually BlackBerry purists who want to see a BB1 version and refuse to use a phone running Android (even if the hardware is made by BlackBerry). Apparently users from other platforms are in general more excited about the new BlackBerry than the existing core BlackBerry user base. These of course are just my general impressions from reading through comments.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible Classic! 
    10-02-15 05:39 PM
    yeah, I support BlackBerry too

⌨ BBM News: ☠☞ or try C00215825 ☎C003D68A0 ☠
    10-02-15 06:05 PM
113,256 ... 35883589359035913592 ...