Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    • More secure variant of the Android Linux Kernel
    • Physical and touch capacitive Keyboard
      (for a lot, this is enough. High end spec'd Android with BB Physical Keyboard).
    • BB Virtual Keyboard, BB Hub
      (BB Virtual Keyboard is considered to be far superior to any other virtual keyboards)
    While the BlackBerry has unique hardware and software components. It really is the security and privacy software offerings that I stay with BlackBerry.

That competitive advantage is actually gone I think because M is moving to a secure kernel - LSELinux or em..something... and unless they have done some serious tinkering, that will launch with less app permission control than an M phone.

Plus if you put your CEO on the TV - make sure a) the device is setup and b) he actually knows how to use it. Em.. maybe here.
    So what concerns me about this phone is how it's being marketed/advertised as more secure than any other Android handset. I am not sure of why it is as of yet.
    09-25-15 05:49 PM
    Privacy
    Resolute
    Immune
    Valiant
    3MIKE, Corbu and awindsr like this.
    09-25-15 06:23 PM
    Hope mkt crashes next week and I get to buy bbry for new 52 weeks low, looks like shorts wants to cover in 5s

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 06:41 PM
    http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/technology/...tiny-1.3243387

The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating whether Google Inc is using its Android mobile operating system to stifle competition, a source familiar with the matter said Friday.

The Android mobile platform is a key element in Google's strategy to maintain revenue from online advertising as people switch from web browser searches to smartphone apps, and action by U.S. regulators would be a big problem for the company.

Reuters reported in April that some technology companies had complained to the U.S. Department of Justice about Google, alleging*anti-competitive practices and urging*the regulator to investigate accusations that Google unfairly uses its Android system to win online advertising.

Google previously tangled with the FTC over web search allegations and reached a settlement in 2013.*The European Union has accused Google of distorting web search results to favor its own shopping service as well, and is now probing the Android OS. Canadian officials*launched a probe into Google's search-related advertising practices in 2013.

The new FTC examintion focuses on whether Google is telling Android handset makers which Google apps they must show on their phones, and how and where they are displayed, the source said.

The FTC and the DOJ just met to discuss who would probe Google and agreed that the FTC would take the case. The probe is in very early stages, the source said.

The FTC and Google were unavailable for comment.

The news was first reported by Bloomberg.

� Thomson Reuters, 2015

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by spike12; 09-25-15 at 07:35 PM.
    Corbu, rarsen, JLagoon and 3 others like this.
    09-25-15 07:22 PM
    I am reading call transcripts. in the Q&A section, JC answered a question for AtHoc:

"Amitabh Passi - UBS
    Good morning. Hi, guys. I had a couple questions for you. I might be mistaken, but I think this is the first time you disclosed the acquisition price for AtHoc. So, give the $250 million you're paying for the company, I'm just curious, should we expect something like $40 million-$50 million contribution to revenues next quarter from AtHoc? Or is that number too high?

John Chen - Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
    Not next quarter. If it's next quarter, my friend, you send me those views all day long! I think that's a good representation."

What JC was trying to say here?
    09-25-15 08:29 PM
    Holy crap, whoever linked reddit. Wow. People are loving this!

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 08:31 PM
    Haven't seen this posted.....

....sales of US$137 million in the first quarter that included proceeds from a cross-patent licence sharing arrangement with Cisco Systems Inc. Chen was expecting another one of this kind, but the terms didn�t come together before Aug. 29.

�I do expect it to be in this coming half year,� he said
    Can BlackBerry Ltd's new Android Priv smartphone cure its flailing handset business? | Financial Post
    09-25-15 08:35 PM
    What JC was trying to say here?
    Not next quarter. All the rest is extraneous.
    09-25-15 08:39 PM
    Notice the three point selling tactic that BlackBerry needs to mimic. I believe they have an answer for the first point:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150925_190132_edit.png

M8 or anyone:

Does anyone have this company in their portfolio?

NYSE: TDOC
    Name: Teladoc
    Industry: Healthcare

They have been around since '02 and is the largest of their kind. I believe endorsed by JP Morgan.
    I'd love to see BlackBerry consider this aquisition to branch off their healthcare direction, and mostly, monetize BBM video. They would have to make BBM cross-platform and for PC's though.

Just some random thoughts to help pass time after we got our butts handed to us today.
    morganplus8, lech31 and 3MIKE like this.
    09-25-15 09:11 PM
    Enjoy!

3MIKE likes this.
    09-25-15 10:05 PM
    BlackBerry paid 250 million USD for a company that generates 40-50 million USD per quarter? No, not per quarter; per year of course. If per quarter, 'you can send me these kind of deals all day long!'

Morgan, any thoughts? Been waiting all day for your intelligent input.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR, Mr BBRY and rarsen like this.
    09-25-15 11:40 PM
    Interesting to know.. MOBL is trading at 3.19 USD or 250 mio market cap..

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and rarsen like this.
    09-25-15 11:44 PM
    Here is the video:
    BNN - Watch TV Online | EXCLUSIVE: John Chen Shows Off the Priv

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2015/9/25/Bla...v-Handset.aspx
    Blackberry CEO John Chen gives BNN a sneak peek at �Priv� Handset
    Did you catch Chen try to swipe up?

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-26-15 12:53 AM
    http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/technology/...tiny-1.3243387

The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is investigating whether Google Inc is using its Android mobile operating system to stifle competition, a source familiar with the matter said Friday.

The Android mobile platform is a key element in Google's strategy to maintain revenue from online advertising as people switch from web browser searches to smartphone apps, and action by U.S. regulators would be a big problem for the company.

Reuters reported in April that some technology companies had complained to the U.S. Department of Justice about Google, alleging*anti-competitive practices and urging*the regulator to investigate accusations that Google unfairly uses its Android system to win online advertising.

Google previously tangled with the FTC over web search allegations and reached a settlement in 2013.*The European Union has accused Google of distorting web search results to favor its own shopping service as well, and is now probing the Android OS. Canadian officials*launched a probe into Google's search-related advertising practices in 2013.

The new FTC examintion focuses on whether Google is telling Android handset makers which Google apps they must show on their phones, and how and where they are displayed, the source said.

The FTC and the DOJ just met to discuss who would probe Google and agreed that the FTC would take the case. The probe is in very early stages, the source said.

The FTC and Google were unavailable for comment.

The news was first reported by Bloomberg.

� Thomson Reuters, 2015

Posted via CB10
    And suddenly, I have hopes ... re: the MSFT story
    3MIKE, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    09-26-15 03:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    ... which means BlackBerry can take them out at a premium and still maintain Chens minimum $2.5B cash requirement, while incurring a growing opex. I say go for it and own the space.

I second dimi's other comment. I'm dying to hear from Morgan. I picked up two large blocks today and have hit a new high in share volume owned. How do you expect BBRY to trade for the remainder of the year?

Also if you have time to touch on what's happening with the biotech sector, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I got absolutely crushed this week and don't know how more pain I can take in this market. I believe we blew past the lows incurred on "black Monday" 4-5 weeks ago after yesterday's crash. Is it possible that the bottom is in yet?

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    _dimi_, lech31, 3MIKE and 4 others like this.
    09-26-15 05:18 AM
    Morgan, I believe that I speak for myself and others. Hope everything is well with you and the family!
    3MIKE, Mr BBRY, b121 and 6 others like this.
    09-26-15 06:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    If Chen buys MOBL I hope when he gets interviewed he uses the line "This party is just getting started" and gives that sly grin to all of us in Crackberry land.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    09-26-15 07:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'm still not ruling out them being an acquisition target... especially at these levels.

The way I took the call (and only read the transcript so far), is that they will put another $400-500MM of cash to work for them... so this could be part of that use.

We are at $3.35B and they are planning to be at $2.5B. After the Good transaction, plus new cash generation, they are still looking to make some significant moves.

I'm a strong advocate of using the cash to increase shareholder value and to keep adding pieces to the puzzle for long term grow.

While I don't know how much IP mobl has... adding an additional +/- 8% market share and customer relationships could be worth it by itself to create economies of scale and provide cross-sell/up-sell opportunities.

IoT could be another investment avenue. We shall see.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic)
    09-26-15 07:24 AM
    Agreed. I posted my response before reading yours

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic)
    09-26-15 07:42 AM
    Just wondering, is the purchase of AtHoq already reflected in the Q2 results? It would seem too good to be true if they paid 250 mio for AtHoq, purchased 47 mio in shares and still managed to increase their cash by 37 mio?

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 07:45 AM
    ... which means BlackBerry can take them out at a premium and still maintain Chens minimum $2.5B cash requirement, while incurring a growing opex. I say go for it and own the space.

I second dimi's other comment. I'm dying to hear from Morgan. I picked up two large blocks today and have hit a new high in share volume owned. How do you expect BBRY to trade for the remainder of the year?

Also if you have time to touch on what's happening with the biotech sector, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I got absolutely crushed this week and don't know how more pain I can take in this market. I believe we blew past the lows incurred on "black Monday" 4-5 weeks ago after yesterday's crash. Is it possible that the bottom is in yet?

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    Mr BBRY !!

Thanks to everyone for calling me out on this Q, I have been working on a property of ours at the lake and missed the Friday event all together. I followed this thread on my Passport but there was little time to comment yesterday. I stayed up late last night trying to catch up on this thread and I still have to listen to the Webcast so here goes:

The share buy back looks fantastic, they purchased 6 MM shares for roughly $ 7.80/shr/US back in late July, a full 4 weeks after receiving approval at the annual meeting to do such. They were forced to curtail additional purchases at these attractive prices due to the Good negotiations. John Chen stated he will add to the remaining purchase of 6 MM to the tune of 15 MM more shares and that's a huge number and will effect the price of the stock. He also proved to be a man of his word and bought shares as soon as he was legally able to do so, ..... this new round of redemption in common stock will start almost immediately. Those of you who wished he would add to his purchase program must be as thrilled as I am .

The revenue number was weak but does it really matter what that number is if it is along the lines of Amazon and doesn't earn you anything? It might as well have been $ 1 B or $ 200 MM, it didn't help the bottom line in any case. What matters is what we can expect for the next two quarters and Chen delivered for me. He sees sequential growth for the rest of the fiscal year, a bottom is in as he now claims, and, we can relax knowing the only negative press will be YoY numbers, not QoQ. Chen stated that his goal was to get to growth and not just spotty growth, he seems to be there now. This slider will be a huge factor in where we go from here and as many of you have pointed out, there is plenty of organic buzz on it already and we'll see it in one more month. The name, PRIV, who cares, since BB 10 came out, I have answered the question, "what phone is that?" a thousand times, all that was needed was to say, " a BlackBerry", that's it, not what serial number it is, what name it is, nothing. They either like the phone and it's OS or they moved onto other topics. BlackBerry, the brand, is to what "iPhone" means to Apple. You own a BlackBerry, an iPhone or an Android.

Services numbers are solid at $ 74 MM less licensing contracts as Chen stated clearly that the Services ramp up is non-linear and occurs in the back end of fiscal 2016. We are now seeing MS concede that BlackBerry will make its $ 500 + $ 100 targets for fiscal 2016, that's a bitter pill to swallow there! They are officially a margin of error away from giving in on those targets ......... and look what Chen did with cash, he killed it, he literally created money where there was none. I read of some estimates of cash on hand for acquisitions, you have to include tax based reconciliation in your numbers, as they show profits, they have a treasure chest of write-downs to take going forward. Write-downs, positive cash-flow, profits all generate more acquisition funding, not to mention the carrying of debt from those acquisitions, he may not have to touch his cash again after fiscal 2016 ends.

Finally, the man, Chen himself, that's the guy who went missing in Q1, he messed things up there for sure, but the new Chen killed it yesterday, sounding so confident in all aspects of where the company is today. I listened to all press releases and he literally let the data roll off his tongue with each question asked. Even this thread had little negative to see in it, there just wasn't the same sense of urgency that there has been in the past.

As for the market, we popped while Chen talked, that's a first, we then fell into the market makers spell and sold off to a cash valuation by the end of Friday. On a TA basis, we are setting up for a double bottom in the stock, notice yesterday, we didn't push to new recent lows at $ 6.40/shr which occurred on market crash day. If you are a current shareholder, or thinking of becoming one, you certainly don't sell a stock that is trading for cash and is about to enter into the growth part of a turn around cycle. The company itself is going to take away 21 MM shares soon, do you sell into that? Yesterday's trading was MM activity, nothing more, we should hold onto our cash value and spring from here even though tax loss selling and book squaring will occur in the weeks ahead. That is one beautiful looking phone and it is 4 weeks away from launching, I must admit, I'll have to buy one too. That's it for now, this is getting long!
    09-26-15 08:35 AM
    In the context of a possible MOBL acquisition, FTR, this is what JC said about cash, etc.:

We will continue to pursue the current M&A strategy to drive our growth in software and IoT, however we'll be more likely focused on the tuck-in opportunities in the near term. I expect to maintain a cash balance of 2.5 billion, as we communicated in the past, for the foreseeable future. That is 2.5 billion, taking into account the recent and future potential M&A investments.
    On the IP front, not quite sure of the value of MOBL's portfolio but I came accross this, on Good's Patent Litigation situation with MOBL:
    Good Technology Provides Update on Patent Litigation with MobileIron -- SUNNYVALE, Calif., Aug. 5, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --

Good has three additional patent trials scheduled against MobileIron � December 2015 in the United Kingdom, June 2016 in Germany and another U.S. (California) trial in August 2016. It's important to note that MobileIron has not asserted any patents against Good in any jurisdictions outside the U.S.
    So, BBRY/Good will be seeing MOBL in Court soon!
    09-26-15 09:16 AM
    What would we do without you, Morgan?

Thanks!
    09-26-15 09:23 AM
    BlackBerry bets on Android's apps to buoy new Priv - The Globe and Mail

BlackBerry Ltd. is betting its handset business on the smartphone world’s bestselling operating system for one simple reason: apps.

Following the release of earnings that missed expectations, chief executive John Chen admitted on Friday that an Android phone with access to the more than one million apps in the Google Play Store has been in the works for a year – and it’s going to be called the Priv (which rhymes with “give”) because of BlackBerry’s legacy of “privacy,” Mr. Chen said. Formerly code-named the Venice, it’s a slider phone with a curved screen that will be selling for a premium price.

But it won’t be as secure as a BB10 handset, a fact Mr. Chen confirmed on Friday, saying further security improvements to the Priv would come in the new year. For a company that has prided itself on bulletproof security since its inception, the move could be a letdown for some, considering Mr. Chen’s pledge that the company would not make an Android device unless it could “secure” the platform.

The announcement also marks a further commitment to the handset business, an area analysts and Mr. Chen himself have questioned whether the company should pull out of altogether.

To break even in BlackBerry’s handset business, which in the second quarter shipped only 800,000 units, Mr. Chen said he would have to sell five million phones in fiscal year 2016. Give or take a couple hundred thousand units, that means he’s making a bullish bet the Priv will sell more than one million units in the next two quarters.

“The device business, I would say, is not dead yet but in bad shape. Eight hundred thousand units is really nothing,” said John Butler, senior handsets analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence.

Set for release later in the fall, BlackBerry’s Priv will enter a competitive market for high-end smartphones already saturated with new offerings from Apple Inc., whose iPhone 6s went on sale Sept. 19, and Samsung, whose Galaxy S6 hit shelves earlier this year. Meanwhile, cheaper phones, such as those made by China’s ZTE and Huawei, are gaining ground.

While refusing to reveal any details on specs, price or carrier partners until October at the earliest, Mr. Chen confirmed the Priv won’t be swimming with those fish.

“I won’t go to the very low-end consumer, because I can’t compete with Huawei and LG” on price, he said during a roundtable with reporters on Friday.

Mr. Chen’s first attempt to fix the app deficit in the company’s phones came in 2014 when the large, square-shaped Passport shipped loaded with Amazon’s app store (and its 250,000 apps). He confirmed on Friday that strategy relied on the online retailer achieving success with its own Fire Phone.

“I was dying for Amazon, for it to be successful with their phone,” the CEO said Friday. “I figured that if they get good traction the apps will come.” Instead, sales of the Fire Phone flopped, prompting the online retailer to discontinue the device, and BlackBerry’s plan B was Android, where developers offer well over a million applications.

“I’m going to eliminate the apps as an excuse not to buy our phone,” Mr. Chen said.

As for why he’s ready to reveal the existence of the phone now, he says the decision came to him Thursday night.

“The reason why I jumped the gun today is because it’s leaking everywhere,” an exasperated Mr. Chen told analysts on an early morning conference call. Given the company had to face the markets with weak earnings, and the dozens of news reports and channel partners posting videos of the device, there was no option to try keeping it secret.

BlackBerry reported $51-million (U.S.) of net income for the three months ended Aug. 29, an improvement on the net loss of $207-million a year ago, and positive free cash flow of $100-million.

But the Waterloo, Ont.-based company fell short of adjusted expectations with a loss of $66-million or 13 cents per share – deeper than the 9 cents per share analysts had expected. Revenue dropped 46 per cent to $490-million, well below analyst estimates of $611-million. Shares fell 7.7 per cent on the news. BMO Nesbitt Burns analyst Tim Long lowered his price target on the stock to $7 from $9.

Some analysts have questioned whether the flip to Android means that BB10, the platform BlackBerry launched in 2013 to run on all of its new handsets, is dead. Mr. Chen refuted that notion, however, saying there are too many high-profile government and corporate clients on BB10 to contemplate that immediately.

Mr. Chen was clear the amount of hardening that BlackBerry does, from chipsets to the Linux kernel and on down, requires a lot of help from Google – which they are getting – to make an Android phone as secure as a BB10. That said, the Priv will have security features no BlackBerry or Android has had before.

“We will have technology that will help the individual know if they have been snooped, attacked, compromised,” said Mr. Chen, adding on screen notifications will “measure your vulnerability … and individuals will be able to tell if anything is happening to them.”

He also admitted there was still a great amount of debate within BlackBerry about going Android.

“When this first leaked I thought the Crackberry people was going to send an assassin to kill me,” he quipped. “One thing is good for our people: We have some really committed diehards. I respect that there’s a lot of heritage here, a lot of pride. If the math doesn’t add up, the math doesn’t add up. We could keep the pride and die hungry or we can eat well and not so proud, maybe. So I chose to eat well. It’s good for the company to continue to have a shot at building handsets.”

Mr. Chen is now pegging the fruits of his turnaround plan to show up largely in the fourth quarter of 2016. Both the software and services revenue, which was up on the year and on the quarter, are growing and should help the company hit $500-million in software revenue by the end of 2016, he said.

Helping that along will be new business from Good Technology and AtHoc, purchased recently for approximately $675-million, revenue from which should flow in at the end of the year.

“We believe management will come within reach of the $500-million target for software revenue for [fiscal 2016], but only with a lot of help from M&A,” analyst Mr. Long wrote in a note Friday.

The most revealing exchange on the software strategy came toward the end of the morning’s analyst call when Mr. Chen was asked why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) space is not growing faster. In the second quarter Mr. Chen said a lot of software growth came from BlackBerry’s EMM platform BES 12, but it hasn’t been lighting the world on fire. Mr. Chen’s argument is that analysts are counting the wrong numbers.

“The number of licences combined in all the [EMM] players are about 10 per cent of the mobile devices out there, there are 90 per cent open space [the potential customer base], and everybody thinks about it that way,” he said. “I think about it differently; I think about endpoints … this is why we are spending so much money on IOT.”

Most of the estimates for IOT (the Internet of Things) put the “endpoints” of smart devices in the tens of billions. Mr. Chen says that it’s possible some of the competitors in EMM might some day give the platform away for free, which would undermine BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server). That’s why his buying spree has been focused on those applications such as WatchDox, AtHoc, Movirtu and Secusmart.

“We believe the customers will pay very little for the base platform, but they will pay a lot for the applications that run on the platform. I don’t know whether that makes sense to you, [but] it is our plan. Just based on the EMM strategy it may be okay for a little while, but it’s not going to be a long-term thing.”

That’s BlackBerry’s future, and Mr. Chen also teased “some very exciting products we’re developing in house” that address IOT.
    Thanks, Bunga!
    09-26-15 09:26 AM
    Just wondering, is the purchase of AtHoq already reflected in the Q2 results?
    I don't believe it is since the acquisition was just completed earlier this week.
    09-26-15 09:44 AM
113,251 ... 35763577357835793580 ...