1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Yes, but . . . who's Priv?
    ...Back from the holiday, yeah?

Side thought:
    If BlackBerry rolls with Android to tame the masses, does it stand to reason that they might tighten up on BB10?
    In other words, eliminate anything Android to please the staunch upper echelon? I for one favor this approach. I strictly use my Passport for work, and would love to 86 anything Droid. If I want fun, I have a Play Station, tablet and PC.

Thoughts?
    Attachment 373073
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 09-25-15 at 01:49 PM.
    bungaboy, 3MIKE and morganplus8 like this.
    09-25-15 01:39 PM
    Hi Superfly,

I think my question might have been misunderstood. I'm referring to a takeover. Their market cap is $3.65B and Chen said today they have $3.35B in cash and investments. Even subtracting their debt, it would go a long way.

I've been a long investor for years (naturally in the red). This seems to be a pretty low risk for a bigger company (e.g., cisco, amzn, aapl, ibm, orcl, etc.). I also think we won't get to benefit from all of the potential upside if acquired... therefore, think management may need to look for ways to increase the stock price in the short term, which hasn't been a priority (understandably).

I was interested it what some of the experienced posters here thought about the acquisition risk/opportunity at these levels.

Please let me know if this makes more sense.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic)
    Missunderstood, exactly. Sorry for that !
    I'm exhausted and have to wipe my glasses clean
    I'll pass on this one for today but I'm sure on regular will help you better than I could.

CU Later gang ! Friday night here, have a GREAT weekend !
    sidhuk and Mr BBRY like this.
    09-25-15 01:46 PM
    No worries! Have a good weekend!

I'm roughing it myself right now .

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150925_145430.jpg

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic)
    rarsen, Mr BBRY, 3MIKE and 3 others like this.
    09-25-15 01:57 PM
    My very limited and surely oversimplified understanding is the new chipsets requires a monetary/manpower input from BlackBerry as their marketshare is too small for Qualcomm to bother doing it themselves.
    I'm not a hardware guru, but I believe it just isn't that simple to offer BB10 on the slider. Once again,I can't properly explain the reasons. Sorry.
    Although, I would not make a blanket statement that (" That's obviously the plan" ) anything Chen is doing is obvious, except that he is fighting to keep handsets and BlackBerry alive. He is a very clever and determined individual. BlackBerry�s success is his goal and will most likely be his pinacle achievement for the history books. Failure doesn't seem to be part of his DNA.

Posted via CB10
    That makes sense (Qualcomm not having an incentive to develop for BlackBerry) but I'm just wondering why they couldn't reuse the passport chip set. That's beast enough to be acceptable today. Is it the form factor that needs a different chip? I couldn't see why. Maybe they just wanted to avoid confusion by the public about whether or not the slider is truly android.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 02:11 PM
    lech31, CDM76, randall2580 and 9 others like this.
    09-25-15 02:23 PM
    That makes sense (Qualcomm not having an incentive to develop for BlackBerry) but I'm just wondering why they couldn't reuse the passport chip set. That's beast enough to be acceptable today. Is it the form factor that needs a different chip? I couldn't see why. Maybe they just wanted to avoid confusion by the public about whether or not the slider is truly android.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 loses money hand over fist - it's as simple really as that - anything else is window dressing.
    09-25-15 02:27 PM
    No worries! Have a good weekend!

I'm roughing it myself right now .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150925_145430.jpg 
Views:	1120 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	373077

Roughing it = not having a bottle opener

Posted via CB10
    CDM76, Mr BBRY and Shanerredflag like this.
    09-25-15 02:33 PM
    BB10 loses money hand over fist - it's as simple really as that - anything else is window dressing.
    As I said before, bundle it as part of a software upgrade package designed for prosumer individuals and see what people are willing to pay. Detach it from the hardware equation.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 03:15 PM
    So that was my conclusion if they do have an appropriate chip, they just don't want to build another BB10 handset.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 03:15 PM
    Just seen new BlackBerry Priv on BNN. Looks sharp. 5.6inch screen.
    Let's hear the usual bashers.
    1. No BlackBerry 10
    2?

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, Corbu, Mr BBRY and 5 others like this.
    09-25-15 03:28 PM
    So, what does James think about all of this?

I am sure you are all impatiently waiting for his enlightened opinion...

BlackBerry Ltd

September 25, 2015

Acquiring the Way to a Sweeter BlackBerry

BlackBerry reported disappointing FQ2 results, with all categories coming in under consensus. Despite poor top line results, the company continued to generate FCF and expects acquisitions closing or set to close in the coming Q's to help BBRY resume revenue growth.

Focus turns to software acquisitions for growth. BlackBerry reported $74mm of software revenue in FQ2, up 9% Q/Q making them roughly flat over the last couple of quarters. With organic growth initiatives failing to grow the software revenue base (some perpetual to subscription dynamics at play), the company has turned to acquisitions to help achieve software targets and growth. The largest of these is Good Technology, which the company announced the acquisition of for $425mm in early September, but in the last 15 months has included AtHoc, WatchDox, Movirtu and SecuSmart. We estimate that the combination of these assets could give BlackBerry about a $550-600mm/yr run rate software business, in-line with previous targets. However, we note the company will have spent ~$1bn to acquire the additional ~$300-350mm revenue beyond what we estimate to be the base ~$250mm business (includes QNX) and that many of these assets are not growing.

Continues to be able to generate cash despite shrinking revenue base. Perhaps most impressively, BlackBerry continues to be able to generate cash despite a revenue base that shrunk 25% Q/Q. Effective management of working capital contributed almost all the OCF this quarter (in part by collecting $167mm of trade and other receivables and extending accounts payables by $46mm). The company remains committed to staying cash flow positive and to maintaining a cash balance of at least $2.5bn after acquisitions and share repurchases (even after incorporating assets like Good which were burning cash). As mentioned in our upgrade note from July 28th, the ability of BBRY to generate cash and make further opex cuts to free up more cash forms a floor to our valuation view.

Acknowledges Android phone reports; device numbers continue to disappoint. The company confirmed reports that they will be launching a device on the Android operating system in early FY2016. We remain uncertain as to whether this will help dwindling device sales, but helps lower the overall cost of development. The company reported revenue on only 800K devices this quarter, a continued steep decline from the 1.1mm reported in FQ1.

Revising estimates downward, reflecting early expectations for AtHoc and Good. Given lower than expected revenue in all categories, we are revising expectations downward. However, we are reflecting early estimates for AtHoc and Good revenue, which could potentially contribute $20mm to FQ3 and $60mm to FQ4, helping the company exit FY16 with a ~$550 run rate on software revenue. We are now forecasting Q3 and FY16 revenue / EPS of $493mm / ($0.18) (from $583mm / ($0.06)) and $2,157mm / ($0.49) (from $2,405mm / ($0.24)).

Remain EW on cash balance and flexibility. Our $7 PT is 4-5x our forecast for a ~$575mm/yr software and messaging business and ~$2.50/share in cash (post AtHoc and Good acquisitions). In our view, the flexibility of the balance sheet outweighs poor business fundamentals for the time being. Without a more significant uptick in BES 12 revenue, we think the company will have to continue acquiring revenue to maintain current opex levels. While the cash spent on acquiring Good Technology removes some of the flexibility, the opportunity to cut costs both in the core business and acquired assets leaves us EW.
    lech31, rarsen, sati01 and 7 others like this.
    09-25-15 03:54 PM
    Here is the video:
    BNN - Watch TV Online | EXCLUSIVE: John Chen Shows Off the Priv

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2015/9/25/Bla...v-Handset.aspx
    Blackberry CEO John Chen gives BNN a sneak peek at “Priv” Handset
    09-25-15 03:57 PM
    Just seen new BlackBerry Priv on BNN. Looks sharp. 5.6inch screen.
    Let's hear the usual bashers.
    1. No BlackBerry 10
    2?

Posted via CB10
    Now now - we don't need to use that language anymore - the OS wars we've seen here are over, now BBRY has swore allegiance to King Google and bent its knee, this site is effectively a colony of android Central. So if people like android... well they are just like John Chen!

As for the device itself - I'm quite taken with it - if the price is good say �200-�250 I'd buy one.
    09-25-15 03:57 PM
    Blackberry CEO John Chen gives BNN a sneak peek at "Priv" Handset - BNN News

This will more than likely be my next BlackBerry. But is anyone able to explain what makes this Android handset different then others?
    09-25-15 03:58 PM
    Roughing it = not having a bottle opener

Posted via CB10
    Lol! That's true, but the cork screw did the trick!

09-25-15 04:11 PM
    Read through this Android subreddit. People (outside of CB) are definitely interested.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Android/comme...ans_to_launch/
    3MIKE, JLagoon, lech31 and 3 others like this.
    09-25-15 04:25 PM
    Blackberry CEO John Chen gives BNN a sneak peek at "Priv" Handset - BNN News

This will more than likely be my next BlackBerry. But is anyone able to explain what makes this Android handset different then others?
    • More secure variant of the Android Linux Kernel
    • Physical and touch capacitive Keyboard
      (for a lot, this is enough. High end spec'd Android with BB Physical Keyboard).
    • BB Virtual Keyboard, BB Hub
      (BB Virtual Keyboard is considered to be far superior to any other virtual keyboards)
    3MIKE likes this.
    09-25-15 04:31 PM
    • More secure variant of the Android Linux Kernel
    That competitive advantage is actually gone I think because M is moving to a secure kernel - LSELinux or em..something... and unless they have done some serious tinkering, that will launch with less app permission control than an M phone.

Plus if you put your CEO on the TV - make sure a) the device is setup and b) he actually knows how to use it.

BB Virtual Keyboard is considered to be far superior to any other virtual keyboards
    Em.. maybe here.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-25-15 04:38 PM
    CNBC & Bloomberg news are enthusiasts about the new phone, but one question, will Blackberry put fund towards advertise? They even recognized that BlackBerry is not advertising as they should.

Posted via CA Governor's BlackBerry� Passport SE
    09-25-15 04:45 PM
    Here is the video:
    BNN - Watch TV Online | EXCLUSIVE: John Chen Shows Off the Priv

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2015/9/25/Bla...v-Handset.aspx
    Blackberry CEO John Chen gives BNN a sneak peek at �Priv� Handset
    This device looks great. John has to forget swipe to close though

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, kadakn01, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    09-25-15 04:58 PM
    Since I can't claim to ever having predicted anything right, I can only stick to news and information about this no-good company:
    Here?s What People Are Saying about PRIV by BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry
    rarsen, 3MIKE, Mr BBRY and 3 others like this.
    09-25-15 05:01 PM
    I can pee 6 feet away but sometimes I miss and pee on my shoes.
    Are we done, kids ?
    All measurements have been made.
    Hopefuly.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 05:02 PM
    Yes let's look to the future - with bb10 on life support and slowly drained of resources and activity shifted to android which Chen points out is much cheaper to develop - surely further cuts to hardware and software teams to come which should help bottom line?

Also I would think they should benefit from marketing efforts from Google now they fallen into line.

One of the other benefits from a productivity front is that they will finally be able to ship a devices to enterprises that actually runs office rather than that knockoff software they bundle.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-25-15 05:09 PM
    Entertainment for the crew!

3MIKE likes this.
    09-25-15 05:23 PM
    [warn]
    Standard warning #1
    Discuss the topic of the thread, do not discuss personal attributes of other members and under no circumstances yield to temptation and attack or insult those who have conflicting opinions.[/warn]

I refer to my previous warning. Some members failed to heed the warning and will be absent for a few days.
    techvisor and Elite1 like this.
    09-25-15 05:31 PM
113,256 ... 35753576357735783579 ...