View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    All I have to say is another quarter of cash flow positive means another quarter to implement the turn around. I'm fine with my hold on BBRY shares. I definitely see upside. Though I'm in the hole along with anyone who has been holding it.

However, I don't think the handsets are ever going to be a big seller. There should be a niche and a Slider with Android Apps could be a niche winner. If we just need that device to sell in the 500,000 per quarter numbers, I could easily see that happening. If BBRY can make some money on handsets and some money on MDM, while keeping QNX sufficiently funded for IoT, I could see a process toward some very nice profitability.
    09-25-15 08:52 AM
    Get your facts straight "there are no current plans for another BB10 phone" change it "for this year"

Which means three months and not forever.
    I wish there was a option to hide my ignored contacts in the original post but also all of the quoted posts too. Such a waist of time. Time and time and time after time tested. So many waisted posts and misinformation until Chen confirms again and corbu posts the news in details that bb10 is here to stay. I am glad atleast I don't see BlackBerry dead argument any more.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by sidhuk; 09-25-15 at 09:22 AM.
    Mr BBRY and Corbu like this.
    09-25-15 09:04 AM
    Chen expects MDM to be free in the future
    Mhhh, not exactly.
    He stated that "EMM is the next monetizable space" and that this "space" will sooner than later being offered for free (BUT the maintenance and service associated). FTR : BES12 (server software) is Free.
    theRock1975 and Mr BBRY like this.
    09-25-15 09:06 AM
    Samsung has to be worried about the Priv announcements. They are taking the majority of high end Android sales and now have competition from Blackberry in that area. Looking forward to the launch in Q3! Even 1% of the annual 660M Android device sales would be amazing.
    sidhuk, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 1 others like this.
    09-25-15 09:09 AM
    That's pretty much what I was expecting.

BlackBerry 10 for industries that want it, special order at super high price. Just-in-time manufacturing.
    Eg: NATO, heads of state etc willing to pay few thousand dollar a piece for BlackBerry 10+SecuSmart voice encryption etc.

Consumer + Prosumer + Enterprise = somewhat secure Android variant.

Couple of years from now, when either or all of following happen, BlackBerry 10 will be taken out of deep freeze:

1. Hacks/Privacy become so common that market shows hunger for secure device/os. Making it worthwhile to produce secure os like BlackBerry 10

2. BlackBerry Android sell so much that they have the cash to re-invest in R&D. In order to reduce dependence on Google, they may reinvest in thawing and making BlackBerry 10 better.

3. Some other cross-platform solution comes that allows developers to develop for all platforms. HTML5 was suppose to do this but it didn't work. Perhaps in a couple of years, some other technology would try and succeed in getting this.
    ####

Anyway, now that Android has been announced, I am hoping gag order on people who had BlackBerry Android test devices has been lifted and we'll see a flurry of leaks, videos etc in hours from now. Ideally, BlackBerry will release everything officially but they said information will be released in 'coming weeks'. Meaning not today. But I am just hoping for more info today!!!

Posted via CB10
    I tend to agree that this is the kind of strategy I think they will follow, but I would like to see a less extreme version where they also offer a bb10 upgrade to the prosumer devices with some kind of $100 software package, including bb10 OS, android runtime, BBM meetings or meetings lite free for a year or two, one BES12 cloud license free for a year, etc.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 09:12 AM
    09-25-15 09:14 AM
    BlackBerry to Launch Android Smartphone - WSJ

BlackBerry Ltd. confirmed Friday it would launch a new Android phone to help bolster its sagging device business, while reporting disappointing results amid signs of weakness in its bid to revive growth from sales of device-management and security software.

The Canadian smartphone maker had been rumored to be planning a new device powered by Google Inc.’s Android operating system sometime this year to help revive sales of its handset business.

The new device, expected to launch late this year, will be called Priv. Chief Executive John Chen says the name reflects the company’s longtime focus on protecting customers’ privacy when using mobile devices. The curve-sided phone will offer both a touch screen and slide-out keyboard, Mr. Chen said on a conference call.

BlackBerry didn’t offer details on distribution or expected pricing of the new device, but the move underscores the underwhelming performance of the company’s existing phones. Since last September, BlackBerry has released a string of new devices, including the square-shaped Passport; the Classic, which is modeled after BlackBerry’s once popular Bold device; and the Leap. All are powered by BlackBerry’s BB10 operating system and are meant to appeal to different segments of corporate and professional users.

But in the second quarter, BlackBerry said it has recognized hardware revenue on “over 800,000 BlackBerry smartphones.” That is down from 1.1 million in the first quarter.

By launching an Android operating system, BlackBerry is betting it can revive handset sales and make the business profitable by adopting the most widely used smartphone operating system. Still, the phone faces stiff competition from Android devices offered by Samsung Electronics Co., Motorola and others. BlackBerry also plans to maintain its BB10 operating system, adding costs to the handset business at a time when the company is focused on cost-cutting.

BlackBerry, which plans to launch the new device later this year, is betting the phone’s added security features and work productivity tools will differentiate the smartphone from rival Android devices.

In its latest quarter, BlackBerry reported software and services revenue of $74 million, up from $62 million a year earlier, but down 46% from the $137 million reported in the first quarter.

The revenue measure is a key one for the company, which is largely relying on sales of device-management software, known as BES 12, and phones aimed at business customers, to help fuel growth. BlackBerry is targeting $500 million in software and licensing revenue for fiscal 2016.

Still, the sequential decline in software revenue suggests BES12 is struggling against rival products from Citrix Systems Inc., MobileIron Inc. and VMware Inc.’s AirWatch.

Mr. Chen is confident BlackBerry’s turnaround is on track, as the company is forecasting “modest” sequential revenue growth in each of the remaining quarters of fiscal 2016. “I am confident in our strategy and continued progress,” he said in a statement.

BlackBerry is down about 3% premarket on Friday, while shares are off 36% year-to-date.

For the latest quarter ended Aug. 29, BlackBerry posted a profit of $51 million, compared with a loss of $207 million a year earlier.

Adjusted to exclude items, it lost 13 cents a share, worse than the nine-cent loss expected by analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.

Total revenue fell 47% to $490 million, well below the $611 million analysts had projected.
    rarsen and Mr BBRY like this.
    09-25-15 09:17 AM
    Believe I said 800K devices and 5xx M Rev. And a final push down.

Well, that is it. If I had cash I'd load up. Priv will boost revs greatly q/q %...in q4. They need to get it out in November though to ensure the next q is up.

Faucette has his $7 target. Is he going to lower that?

Maybe we see a dump attempt to 6.50 again but this is it. Up from here.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 09:24 AM
    At least we now have an official picture, sourced BlackBerry (CNBC article)
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-1stofficial.jpg
    Shanerredflag and OlympusMons like this.
    09-25-15 09:30 AM
    At least we now have an official picture, sourced BlackBerry (CNBC article)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1stOfficial.jpg 
Views:	1233 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	372997
    Wallpaper rings a bell, SF?
    09-25-15 09:37 AM
    Now that it's confirmed by the company, I can comment on how the Priv will work for me, and if it works for me I see it working for others in the same way.

I have been carrying a BlackBerry since 2004. The 7520 and subsequent changed the way I did my business. By the time the 9800 came out I found I was missing key features my friends were all bragging about, things I wanted my phones to do. I bought the 9810 but at the same time I also added a Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, which had many things my 9810 did not including LTE. Since then I have been carrying 2 phones, there are things I like to do on both phones. BB10 bridged some of the gap, but, having both meant I had to settle for nothing, I got the best of both worlds, I liked it.

This new Priv has the potential to put me on one phone, a BlackBerry, again. If they can give me what I expect from both phones in one phone, I admit not an easy task, I see this happening easily. My business is small, we don't use MDM, EMM etc so I can't comment on how a manager of those firms will see this phone, but I do know I'm anxious to get my hands on and play with it.
    Corbu, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 5 others like this.
    09-25-15 09:38 AM
    I wish there was a option to hide my ignored contacts in the original post but also all of the quoted posts too. Such a waist of time. Time and time and time after time tested. So many waisted posts and misinformation until Chen confirms again and corbu posts the news in details that bb10 is here to stay. I am glad atleast I don't see BlackBerry dead argument any more.

Posted via CB10
    Hope CB is listening and adds such a feature! It would be nice to block someone, even doe it not nice. Corbu comes to the rescue time after time, hope someone is paying him well for his contribution on this thread. LOL

Identities wish BB10 was dead and that's all they want! First Q&A says it all.

Cheers to all!
    3MIKE, sidhuk and Corbu like this.
    09-25-15 09:40 AM
    Wallpaper rings a bell, SF?
    ??
    Sure does

! CAN'T BEAT THE CORBU !
    sidhuk, Corbu, jxnb and 3 others like this.
    09-25-15 09:44 AM
    Inside BlackBerry

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/09/...ftware-growth/
    Last edited by bbjdog; 09-25-15 at 11:13 PM.
    sidhuk, Corbu, jxnb and 1 others like this.
    09-25-15 09:45 AM
    Thought I would post it again!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-cpooza0xaaav038.jpg

As for getting paid... Thanks all!
    Superfly_FR, jxnb, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    09-25-15 09:47 AM
    I for one am not worried one bit. I will definitely preorder this phone as soon as available. As for the markets...meh, I didn't expect a major movement either way, if it drops, great, I'll buy more. I have given up on a short squeeze years ago, so price of BBRY is really irrelevant to me right now since I don't play options on ER anyways as the volatility is just not there any more.
    sidhuk, theRock1975, Corbu and 6 others like this.
    09-25-15 09:50 AM
    BlackBerry booked 2,400 software customer wins in the quarter including big names such as Airbus, Berenberg Bank, TD Bank, PSA Peugeot Citro�n, Horizon BlueCross BlueShield, Herbalife, Nippon Express, Siemens, Visteon and LG Electronics.
    sidhuk, theRock1975, Corbu and 9 others like this.
    09-25-15 09:55 AM
    09-25-15 09:55 AM
    Weird marketing angle "We cannot protect our secrets, trust us to protect yours".
    09-25-15 09:57 AM
    Posted via CB10
    I said 'BB10 is here to stay' all the time. But I can not ignore the facts.

Why don't they put BB10 on the slider hardware too and offer it for sale. They needed to design, produce and order the hardware anyway. They own the OS. They need to maintain the ecosystem for exisiting devices. They are still selling existing Passport and Classic devices and want to continue this (for a while). Should be a no-brainer to offer the Slider with BB10 too.

But they will not.

And the only reason I can imagine is, they dont't want to invest in this platform anymore - only the absolute minimum to maintaine it for a while - which means BB10 is NOT here to stay and will fade away. That's obviously the plan. The 'BB10 is here to stay' statement is worth nothing, when the facts are telling a different story.
    Last edited by georg4BB; 09-25-15 at 10:31 AM.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-25-15 09:58 AM
    Thought I would post it again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPoOZA0XAAAV038.jpg 
Views:	916 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	373000

As for getting paid... Thanks all!
    There, there, want a tea(joking). LMAO

Thanks for th laugh!
    Corbu likes this.
    09-25-15 09:59 AM
    look at the quotes
    Priv - United States
    09-25-15 10:04 AM
    BlackBerry booked 2,400 software customer wins in the quarter including big names such as Airbus, Berenberg Bank, TD Bank, PSA Peugeot Citro�n, Horizon BlueCross BlueShield, Herbalife, Nippon Express, Siemens, Visteon and LG Electronics.
    Big names and if we go back the last two to three quarters, BlackBerry has been hitting the numbers of over 2400 new customers. Like I mentioned that this was the transition quarter and we can look forward to growth. John Chen said something about next quarter will see modest growth and the following quarter should be better(not exactly sure). Waiting for the replay to listen better. Glad to see my bank on the list, it's about time!

OT: who is playing around with oil prices? Have they moved from BlackBerry to oil? Just joking!
    Last edited by bbjdog; 09-25-15 at 11:15 PM.
    sidhuk, Corbu, tennisguy and 2 others like this.
    09-25-15 10:09 AM
    I said 'BB10 is here to stay' all the time. But I can not ignore the facts.

Why don't they put BB10 on the slider hardware and offer it for sale. They needed to design, produce and order the hardware anyway. They own the OS. They need to maintain the ecosystem for exisiting devices. They are still selling existing Passport and Classic devices and want to continue this (for a while). Should be a no-brainer to offer the Slider with BB10 too.

But they will not.

And the only reason I can imagine is, they dont't want to invest in this platform anymore - only the absolute minimum to maintaine it for a while - which means BB10 is NOT here to stay and will fade away. That's obviously the plan. The 'BB10 is here to stay' statement is worth nothing, when the facts are telling a different story.
    I agree with supply and demand theory. I am glad that JC isn't getting caught in Petty talk in these threads. He is doing what is best for the company.
    Having said that, he has also said that until the day governments feel that android is secured enough to leave BlackBerry.
    Now seems like you know lot more about mobile OS than I am, I know that it is not easy to make android secure, hardware is the first line of defense, software is the second. BlackBerry has both with bb10.
    Then again, nothing is written on the stone and I personally don't give rats bottom, as long as BlackBerry makes money.
    And for the record, you are not on my ignore list and my comment wasn't directed at you.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, rarsen and Bacon Munchers like this.
    09-25-15 10:10 AM
    Weird marketing angle "We cannot protect our secrets, trust us to protect yours".
    Are we sure that's a real statement or ad from BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 10:18 AM
113,256 ... 35723573357435753576 ...