View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Perhaps we could all get together and help BlackBerry come up with a better name...

...BlackBerry Bacon?
    ...BlackBerry Squirrel?
    ...BlackBerry Elbow?

...I genuinely think at least two of those names are preferable to Priv...

Posted via CB10
    ... Did someone say bacon?
    I'd buy one if it came with a scratch and sniff bacon battery cover.

So, tomorrow's the day, eh? Looks like all the bottom dwellers are out to short the last 10 days. I guess I can't blame them, as BlackBerry is so easy to pick on these days.

I am going with software and services up, hand sets down again and +.02 EPS. Chen will be upbeat this time, and we may even get a surprise.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150924_211452_edit.png
    3MIKE likes this.
    09-24-15 11:21 PM
    I don't like the rumored Name for the BlackBerry slider. http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/24/b...android-phone/
    "If the device turns out to have killer features, then it doesn't matter what it's called: after all, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
    Sort of along the lines of how movie stars get more famous and increase their wealth by doing something less than flattering?

3MIKE likes this.
    09-24-15 11:23 PM
    Personally I prefer all the code (city) names to the final names...'Venice' is a much better name than 'Priv'

Posted via CB10
    Blaupunkt used to do that with great success.
    I think BlackBerry should have named this after a hip business district in... wait for it........................... the US, since they need to refocus that user base IMO.

GL tomorrow guys. Talk to y'all after the show.
    3MIKE likes this.
    09-24-15 11:29 PM
    If they give up the hardware division, they could attempt a go at foods. I believe this name fail is now available...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-crack-sandwich.jpg
    techvisor and awindsr like this.
    09-24-15 11:46 PM
    I don't normally do this but...

So when I posted this back back in June, you all told me that i was talking rubbish and it would be a dual-boot or a hypervisor and no... no chance it was android and I should shut-up. So I think a little turnaround is fair.

* the device only has android on it
    * it only boots into android
    * it always provides user data to google
    * it always has google search
    * it always uses google location service
    * it always has the google apps on the first screen a user sees
    * it always prompts a user to sign directly into google services.
    Anyone *still* want to go on on a edge and argue that none of the above will happen on the Priv?

Maybe the gentleman (who's name I've removed to spare his blushes) who posted this would like to reaffirm his theory?

I'm not sure that you know what a VM is. Are you thinking of Dual boot? ex. Windows/Linux? That's not it at all.

To me, the Movirtu acquisition, the launch of QNX HyperVisor and 64-bit memory addressing, and the fact that "customers will only need to carry one phone" are all pointing to the same conclusion. That and:

QNX Hypervisor

It's on the QNX website. Hypervisor CAN run an Android VM.

Edit: I'm pretty sure they checked with Google before attempting such a feat.
    3MIKE, notfanboy and techvisor like this.
    09-25-15 02:07 AM
    I don't normally do this but...

So when I posted this back back in June, you all told me that i was talking rubbish and it would be a dual-boot or a hypervisor and no... no chance it was android and I should shut-up. So I think a little turnaround is fair.

Anyone *still* want to go on on a edge and argue that none of the above will happen on the Priv?

Maybe the gentleman (who's name I've removed to spare his blushes) who posted this would like to reaffirm his theory?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-powered-android-prive_no_exif.jpeg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bugdroid_no_exif.jpeg
    cgk and techvisor like this.
    09-25-15 02:40 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	powered-by-android-prive_no_exif.jpeg 
Views:	1658 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	372943
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bugdroid_no_exif.jpeg 
Views:	1654 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	372944
    Loving the second pic..but..how is that replying to cgk's post? Confused..

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 03:02 AM
    It's an android...

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    09-25-15 03:03 AM
    It's an android...

Oh, ok :-) So it is 'just' that! Anyway, even if you maybe deserve some sort of apologies from the gentleman you quoted, you should not be offended by his words.
    He was just,in a certain way, hoping for a QNX+Hypervisor device from BlackBerry. And,you know..It was something a lot of us (maybe even you) were hoping. I agree that, even in June that seemed just crazy (it would take years to fully develop something that integrates so much), but still those were words of a man who obviously isn't "just" someone who owns BBRY shares. Those were words of an enthusiast of BlackBerry as a whole.
    Be kind and demonstrate how you really are a gentleman: let it go ;-)
    Peace.
    And finger crossed: -4 hours.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 03:21 AM
    Oh, ok :-) So it is 'just' that! Anyway, even if you maybe deserve some sort of apologies from the gentleman you quoted, you should not be offended by his words.
    Oh I'm not after an apology - it's part of the cut and thrust here - I'm just doing a little friendly trash-talk with the regulars - I'm sure they will take it in the spirit its intended.
    09-25-15 03:31 AM
    It's an android...
    Yes. So what. The question is, will we see a BB10 slider too?
    Chen said BlackBerry will develop only 1-2 devices per year.
    And if the first device - after this announcement - ships in Android flavour only, then BB10 is for sure planned to fade out. I'm pretty sure almost everyone will see it this way. The media, the customers and the fans.
    So I expect, BlackBerry will launch the Android slider end of this year with the help of the carriers, and the BB10 version will be availabe early next year at Shop BlackBerry. If not, well...
    3MIKE likes this.
    09-25-15 03:45 AM
    Yes. So what. The question is, will we see a BB10 slider too?
    time for another of my bold predictions - No, there is no BB10 slider, there will never be a BB10 slider.*

* Yes we've all seen the mock-up - it was a backlit mock unit with a stuck on BB10 front.
    anon(4086547) and techvisor like this.
    09-25-15 03:51 AM
    Little reading material before the bell! Lol

The battle for the connected car takes us down a brave new road (RTGAM)

ROBERT TERCEK

Robert Tercek is the author of Vaporized: Solid Strategies for Success in a Dematerialized World.

The automobile has emerged as the newest battleground in the smartphone wars. The struggle between Apple Inc., and Google Inc., for mobile supremacy has expanded beyond the phones and tablets to a much broader field of connected devices. What�s at stake? Not just the future of the car, but also the future of computing.

Having trounced all other contenders for the mobile computing throne, including Microsoft Corp., Nokia Corp., and BlackBerry Ltd., the two remaining smartphone powerhouses are fighting for control over smart devices of all sorts, including wearable computers, home appliances, retail payments and even health-care equipment.

Automobiles are a major area of contention because the Silicon Valley giants perceive the car not as transportation, but as a mobile computing platform. The future of automobiles will be determined by advances in software rather than hardware.

Computers in cars are not new, of course. For decades, vehicles have sported electronic control units to manage emissions, ignition, door locks and more. The number of embedded microprocessors ranges from 30 in basic vehicles to more than 100 in luxury sedans.

What�s different today is that those in-car computers can be networked, turning the car into something like a giant rolling smartphone. Connectivity will make the vehicle smarter, more aware of conditions, and eventually able to communicate with other vehicles on the road. That�s how automobiles will emerge as the proving ground for several important advances in computer technology, including cloud robotics, deep learning and other forms of artificial intelligence.

It�s a growth opportunity. Market research firm Business Insider projects a tenfold increase in sales of connected cars, from seven million cars sold globally in 2014 to 69 million by 2020.

No one doubts that wireless connectivity will add great value to motor vehicles. The question is, who will capture that value? The car manufacturers? Or the Silicon Valley giants who siphoned the profit out of mobile phones?

Soon mobile apps will appear in dashboards, courtesy of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, software systems that connect them to smartphones. That will satisfy consumer demand.

But it�s a mixed blessing for car makers because, after inviting the Silicon Valley powers into their domain, they may find their own products reduced to commodity value.

�Infotainment� and maps are just the thin end of the wedge for Apple and Google. As consumer preferences solidify into stubborn habit, one of those companies will take over more functions of the smart car until it is positioned somewhat like Microsoft in its 1990s heyday, with its grip over the PC industry.

Auto makers find themselves on the defensive. Software is hardly their strong suit, and they have slim chances of building a robust app-developer program. The fear is that they will end up stuck producing low-margin hardware while Apple and Google siphon off the profit from the content, apps and data services sold into smart vehicles.

Will the car makers go the route of commodification, following the dismal trajectory of computer makers such as Dell Inc., and Compaq Computer Corp., smartphone makers Nokia and Motorola, and consumer electronics companies such as Sharp Corp., and Panasonic Corp.? Or will the auto companies emerge victorious, independent of ecosystem hegemony by developing their own operating systems, robotics and mapping solutions?

This standoff could be a golden opportunity for BlackBerry�s QNX if that company�s management demonstrated the strategic vision to rally its automotive partners around a neutral ecosystem. It�s QNX�s game to lose. Today, QNX provides superb operating system software to more than half of the auto industry, including Acura, BMW, Chrysler, Ford, GM, Jaguar, Mercedes, Porsche, Toyota and Volkswagen.

QNX could be leveraged as the base for a broad range of auto-specific applications. But this opportunity is fading fast. Without a rich ecosystem of apps to enhance the value of its operating system, QNX is unlikely to extract a significant premium from the auto makers. The eventual arrival of a free operating system for cars, either Linux or Android, will erode QNX�s pricing power. Most likely, QNX will be buried under layers of software from Apple and Google. Car owners will grow accustomed to a user interface that comes from Silicon Valley, not Ottawa.

Car makers are not waiting for QNX. Recently, in a bid to evade dependence upon Google, three German manufacturers joined forces to acquire the digital-map assets spun off from Nokia for $3-billion (U.S.). Meanwhile, Google is cranking up the heat by focusing on the future of cars. Google autonomous vehicles are already street legal for experimental purposes in four American states; eventually the company will license the operating system to car makers. Apple has reportedly hired 200 automotive engineers and executives from Detroit to work on its own auto program, codenamed Titan.

We�ve entered a new century that will be increasingly defined by software, not hardware. I call it the �vaporized economy� because value increasingly resides not in hardware or physical goods, but rather in invisible software that can be downloaded over the air. In this new economy, the rules are different from the previous century of mass production. Intangibles are more valuable than hard assets. Data is more important than physical products.

When it comes to satisfying customers, software trumps hardware every time because it is quicker and easier to modify to meet evolving demand.

None of these lessons has been learned by auto builders, however. They are still infatuated with the romance of the road and their mechanical marvels. Those are concrete artifacts from the by-gone industrial era. As a society, we are moving away from that era into a new world defined by software. The mobile giants understand this situation better than most because they invented it.
    awindsr and rarsen like this.
    09-25-15 05:45 AM
    It's not looking too good

BlackBerry Reports Fiscal 2016 Second Quarter Results
    Q2 results show continued progress in key financial metrics including software growth, EBITDA and free cash flow

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Sept. 25, 2015) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a global leader in mobile communications, today reported financial results for the three months ended August 29, 2015 (all figures in U.S. dollars and U.S. GAAP, except where otherwise indicated).

Q2 Highlights

-- Non-GAAP software and services revenue of $74 million, a 19% increase
    over Q2 FY15 driven by 33% growth in software licensing revenue
    -- Positive free cash flow of $100 million in the quarter
    -- Cash and investments balance of $3.35 billion at the end of the fiscal
    quarter, an increase of $37 million over Q1 FY16 after using $47 million
    on share repurchases
    -- Non-GAAP loss of ($0.13) per share, basic GAAP earnings of $0.10 per
    -- Non-GAAP operating loss of ($84) million, with GAAP operating income of
    $33 million
    -- Non-GAAP gross margin of 40.9% and GAAP gross margin of 37.8%
    -- Adjusted EBITDA of $68 million
    -- After the close of the quarter, BlackBerry closed the acquisition of
    AtHoc and announced an agreement to acquire Good Technology
    -- Today, the company also confirmed plans to launch a flagship handheld
    device that will run on the Android operating system with BlackBerry
    security

Q2 Results

Non-GAAP revenue for the second quarter of fiscal 2016 was $491 million with GAAP revenue of $490 million. GAAP revenue reflects a purchase accounting write down of deferred revenue associated with the acquisition of WatchDox. The revenue breakdown for the quarter was approximately 15% for software and services, 41% for hardware, and 43% for service access fees (SAF). BlackBerry had 2,400 enterprise customer wins in the quarter. Approximately 60% of the licenses associated with these deals are cross-platform. During the second quarter, the Company recognized hardware revenue on over 800,000 BlackBerry smartphones with an ASP of approximately $240.

Non-GAAP loss for the second quarter was ($66) million, or ($0.13) per share. GAAP basic net income for the quarter was $51 million, or $0.10 per basic share. Basic GAAP net income includes the aforementioned purchase accounting impact on GAAP revenue, a non-cash credit associated with the change in the fair value of the debentures of $228 million (the "Q2 Fiscal 2016 Debentures Fair Value Adjustment"), pre-tax charges of $85 million related to restructuring, stock compensation of $14 million, and amortization of acquired intangibles of $11 million. The impact of these adjustments on GAAP net income and earnings per share is summarized in a table below.

Total cash, cash equivalents, short-term and long-term investments was $3.35 billion as of August 29, 2015. The cash balance increased $37 million in the second quarter. The company repurchased 6 million shares during the quarter for a total of $47 million. Excluding $1.25 billion in the face value of our debt, the net cash balance at the end of the quarter was $2.1 billion. Purchase orders with contract manufacturers totaled approximately $248 million at the end of the second quarter, compared to $238 million at the end of the first quarter and down from $344 million in the year ago quarter. Excluding the impact of foreign exchange rates, operating cash flow was $110 million with free cash flow (operating cash flow minus capital expenditures) of $100 million.

"I am confident in our strategy and continued progress, highlighted by our fourth consecutive quarter of year-over-year double digit growth in software licensing revenue and sixth consecutive quarter of positive free cash flow," said Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer John Chen. "In order to expand our leadership in cross-platform software and services, we are investing strategically - organically through new products and services based on the BES platform, and through acquisitions like AtHoc and Good."

"At the same time, we are focused on making faster progress to achieve profitability in our handset business. Today, I am confirming our plans to launch Priv, an Android device named after BlackBerry's heritage and core mission of protecting our customers' privacy. Priv combines the best of BlackBerry security and productivity with the expansive mobile application ecosystem available on the Android platform," continued Mr. Chen.

"From these initiatives, we anticipate modest sequential revenue growth in each of the remaining quarters of fiscal 2016."

Expanding Leadership in Mobile Cross-Platform Software and Services

Acquisitions of Good Technology and AtHoc

On September 4, BlackBerry announced it had entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Good Technology for $425 million in cash. The acquisition is aligned with BlackBerry's strategy to offer customers the most complete, end-to-end solution that secures the entire mobile enterprise, across all platforms. The acquisition will further build on BlackBerry's strong leadership in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) value-added services. Good will bring complementary capabilities and technologies to BlackBerry, including secure application management and containerization that protects end user privacy - with the majority of its activations from iOS devices. This experience combined with BlackBerry's strength in BlackBerry 10 and Android management will provide customers with increased choice for securely deploying any leading operating system in their organization.

The transaction is expected to close toward the end of the company's 2016 fiscal third quarter and is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals.

On September 22, BlackBerry closed its acquisition of AtHoc, a leading provider of secure, networked crisis communications for $250 million in cash. AtHoc's platform alerts any device - including iOS, Android, PC and Mac desktops, digital displays, radios, IP phones, and endpoints such as sirens, fire panels and speakers - helping organizations and people to connect and share information in times of crisis. The acquisition is well aligned with BlackBerry's strength in government and public sector, and AtHoc will become a key component of the company's Internet of Things (IoT) platform. The leading provider to the U.S. Departments of Defense (DoD) and Homeland Security, AtHoc also supports public and private enterprises across the world, including healthcare providers and industrial facilities. The AtHoc platform will integrate with BBM and BlackBerry's enterprise portfolio and trusted global network to offer customers new capabilities for safety, security and mission-critical business communication.

Handheld Device Roadmap

Today, BlackBerry is announcing two new additions to its handheld device roadmap.

First, the company will launch a flagship slider device, Priv, which will run on the Android operating system, bringing together the best of BlackBerry security and productivity with the expansive mobile application ecosystem available on the Android platform. In combination with BlackBerry's efforts to support Android for Work on the BES12 platform, the new device will offer best in class security for enterprise customers. BlackBerry expects the device to be available late in the calendar year in major markets in-store and online, and will release further details in the coming weeks. While the new device will provide a choice in OS to new and existing customers, the company remains committed to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, which enables industry-leading security and productivity benefits.

Second, the company will continue to develop and enhance the BlackBerry 10 operating system and is confirming plans to release platform updates focused on security and privacy enhancements, with version 10.3.3 scheduled to be available in March 2016.

Outlook

The company anticipates modest sequential growth in total revenue in each of the remaining quarters of fiscal 2016.

The company continues to anticipate positive free cash flow. The company targets sustainable non-GAAP profitability in the fiscal 2016 fourth quarter.

Reconciliation of GAAP gross margin, gross margin percentage, income before income taxes, net income and earnings per share to Non-GAAP gross margin, gross margin percentage, loss before income taxes, net loss and loss per share:

(United States dollars, in millions except per share data)

Q2 Fiscal 2016 Non-GAAP For the three months ended August 29, 2015
    Adjustments (in millions)
    --------------------------- ------------------------------------------------
    Gross Income
    Gross margin % (loss) Basic
    Income margin (before before Net earnings
    statement (before taxes)(1 income income (loss)
    location taxes)(1) ) taxes (loss) per share
    ------------- --------- -------- --------- --------- ---------
    As reported $ 185 37.8% $ 21 $ 51 $ 0.10
    Debentures
    Fair Value Debentures
    Adjustment fair value
    (2) adjustment - -% (228) (228)
    RAP Charges
    (3) Cost of sales 14 2.9% 14 14
    RAP Charges Research and
    (3) development - -% 14 14
    RAP Charges Selling,
    (3) marketing
    and
    administrati
    on - -% 51 51
    CORE Program Selling,
    Charges (4) marketing
    and
    administrati
    on - -% 6 6
    Software
    deferred
    revenue
    acquired (5) Revenue 1 0.1% 1 1
    Stock
    compensation
    expense (6) Cost of sales 1 0.1% 1 1
    Stock
    compensation Research and
    expense (6) development - -% 4 4
    Stock Selling,
    compensation marketing
    expense (6) and
    administrati
    on - -% 9 9
    Acquired
    intangibles
    amortization
    (7) Amortization - -% 11 11
    --------- -------- --------- --------- ---------
    Adjusted $ 201 40.9% $ (96) $ (66) $ (0.13)
    ========= ======== ========= ========= =========

Note: Non-GAAP gross margin, non-GAAP gross margin percentage, non-GAAP loss before income taxes, non-GAAP net loss and non-GAAP loss per share do not have a standardized meaning prescribed by GAAP and thus are not comparable to similarly titled measures presented by other issuers. The Company believes that the presentation of these non-GAAP measures enables the Company and its shareholders to better assess the Company's operating results relative to its operating results in prior periods and improves the comparability of the information presented. Investors should consider these non-GAAP measures in the context of the Company's GAAP results.

1. During the second quarter of fiscal 2016, the Company reported GAAP
    gross margin of $185 million or 37.8% of revenue. Excluding the impact
    of the resource alignment program (RAP) charges and stock compensation
    expense included in cost of sales, along with software deferred revenue
    acquired included in revenue, the non-GAAP gross margin was $201
    million, or 40.9% of revenue.
    2. During the second quarter of fiscal 2016, the Company recorded the Q2
    Fiscal 2016 Debentures Fair Value Adjustment of $228 million. The
    adjustment was presented on a separate line in the Consolidated
    Statements of Operations
    3. During the second quarter of fiscal 2016, the Company incurred charges
    related to the RAP of $79 million pre-tax and after tax, of which $14
    million were included in cost of sales, $14 million were included in
    research and development and $51 million were included in selling,
    marketing, and administration expenses.
    4. During the second quarter of fiscal 2016, the Company incurred charges
    related to the CORE program of $6 million, which were included in
    selling, marketing, and administration expenses.
    5. During the second quarter of fiscal 2016, the Company recorded software
    deferred revenue acquired but not recognized due to business combination
    accounting rules of $1 million, which were included in revenue.
    6. During the second quarter of fiscal 2016, the Company recorded stock
    compensation expense of $14 million, of which $1 million were included
    in cost of sales, $4 million were included in research and development,
    and $9 million were included in selling, marketing, and administration
    expenses.
    7. During the second quarter of fiscal 2016, the Company recorded
    amortization of intangible assets acquired through business combinations
    of $11 million, which were included in amortization expense.

Supplementary Geographic Revenue Breakdown

BlackBerry Limited (United States dollars, in millions) Revenue by Region

For the quarter ended
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    August 29, February 28, November 29, August 30,
    2015 May 30, 2015 2015 2014 2014
    ------------ ------------ ------------ ------------ ------------
    North
    America $176 36.0% $285 43.3% $205 31.0% $213 26.9% $297 32.4%
    Europe,
    Middle
    East and
    Africa 202 41.2% 245 37.2% 283 42.9% 366 46.1% 368 40.2%
    Latin
    America 33 6.7% 42 6.4% 60 9.1% 84 10.6% 111 12.1%
    Asia
    Pacific 79 16.1% 86 13.1% 112 17.0% 130 16.4% 140 15.3%
    ----- ------ ----- ------ ----- ------ ----- ------ ----- ------
    Total $490 100.0% $658 100.0% $660 100.0% $793 100.0% $916 100.0%
    ===== ====== ===== ====== ===== ====== ===== ====== ===== ======

Conference Call and Webcast

A conference call and live webcast will be held beginning at 8 am ET, which can be accessed by dialing 1-888-428-9507 or by logging on at Investor Events - Canada. A replay of the conference call will also be available at approximately 10 am ET by dialing 1-647-436-0148 and entering pass code 3790672# or by clicking the link above. This replay will be available until 10 am ET October 11th, 2015.
    jxnb, awindsr, JLagoon and 1 others like this.
    09-25-15 06:05 AM
    Q2 results show continued progress in key financial metrics including software growth, EBITDA and free cash flow

WATERLOO, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 09/25/15 -- BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a global leader in mobile communications, today reported financial results for the three months ended August 29, 2015 (all figures in U.S. dollars and U.S. GAAP, except where otherwise indicated).
    Q2 Highlights

• Non-GAAP software and services revenue of $74 million, a 19% increase over Q2 FY15 driven by 33% growth in software licensing revenue
    • Positive free cash flow of $100 million in the quarter
    • Cash and investments balance of $3.35 billion at the end of the fiscal quarter, an increase of $37 million over Q1 FY16 after using $47 million on share repurchases
    • Non-GAAP loss of ($0.13) per share, basic GAAP earnings of $0.10 per share
    • Non-GAAP operating loss of ($84) million, with GAAP operating income of $33 million
    • Non-GAAP gross margin of 40.9% and GAAP gross margin of 37.8%
    • Adjusted EBITDA of $68 million
    • After the close of the quarter, BlackBerry closed the acquisition of AtHoc and announced an agreement to acquire Good Technology
    • Today, the company also confirmed plans to launch a flagship handheld device that will run on the Android operating system with BlackBerry security

09-25-15 06:08 AM
    I like all these words, "From these initiatives, we anticipate modest sequential revenue growth in each of the remaining quarters of fiscal 2016."... We've hit bottom, fellas!

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    09-25-15 06:10 AM
    And the BlackBerry Priv is confirmed.

First, the company will launch a flagship slider device, Priv, which will run on the Android operating system, bringing together the best of BlackBerry security and productivity with the expansive mobile application ecosystem available on the Android platform. In combination with BlackBerry�s efforts to support Android for Work on the BES12 platform, the new device will offer best in class security for enterprise customers. BlackBerry expects the device to be available late in the calendar year in major markets in-store and online, and will release further details in the coming weeks. While the new device will provide a choice in OS to new and existing customers, the company remains committed to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, which enables industryleading security and productivity benefits. Second, the company will continue to develop and enhance the BlackBerry 10 operating system and is confirming plans to release platform updates focused on security and privacy enhancements, with version 10.3.3 scheduled to be available in March 2016

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 06:10 AM
    Non-GAAP loss of ($0.13) per share, basic GAAP earnings of $0.10 per share
    Non-GAAP operating loss of ($84) million, with GAAP operating income of $33 million
    Non-GAAP gross margin of 40.9% and GAAP gross margin of 37.8%
    Could one of our brilliant specialist explain in simple words GAAP/ Non-GAAP significance ?
    I mean they're accounting rules, but at the end of the day, which is relevant for company health measurement ?
    Mr BBRY and awindsr like this.
    09-25-15 06:12 AM
    Could one of our brilliant specialist explain in simple words GAAP/ Non-GAAP significance ?
    I mean they're accounting rules, but at the end of the day, which is relevant for company health measurement ?
    At the end of the day, both are just ways to measure a company's finances and really it's the individual line items that you want to consider. What makes the difference between the GAAP and non-GAAP value? And is that item important?

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-25-15 06:18 AM
    Here is an interesting article on how to look at this

http://www.businessinsider.com/gaap-...gs-eps-2013-12

rarsen, Superfly_FR and awindsr like this.
    09-25-15 06:21 AM
    time for another of my bold predictions - No, there is no BB10 slider, there will never be a BB10 slider.*
    * Yes we've all seen the mock-up - it was a backlit mock unit with a stuck on BB10 front.
    Seems you are right. No word about a new BB10 device. That's enough to know what's going on.
    09-25-15 06:21 AM
    I think there will be new B10 devices. The software just works so well. It works great on my Z10 which is a very modest piece of hardware in today's day.
    The android phone is a good move. And the slider form factor is one that some folks may want. BBRY can get the apps and also leverage their brand and keyboard skills. I think the phone will sell in some markets if it is priced competitively.
    09-25-15 06:33 AM
    Priv is also a test. Its success will drive next device platform and design IMHO.
    Mr BBRY, awindsr, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    09-25-15 06:33 AM
    I'm not sure why pre-market is down. I would think wall street is paying attention to the quarter over quarter comparison as a first metric of a successful turnaround. When the report is forecasting sequential growth, that should means no more operating losses on increasing revenues. Yes, revenues had a significant QOQ decline, but it's in black and white that revenues will not go below $491MM. Shouldn't the valuation of a growing company increase? This market continues to make no sense to me and I will be a buyer today if we open in the red if I like what Mr. Chen has to say.

Here is the direct comparison for reference:

Q1 Results
    Revenue for the first quarter of fiscal 2016 was $658 million. The revenue breakdown for the quarter was approximately 40% for hardware, 38% for services and 21% for software and technology licensing. BlackBerry had 2,600 enterprise customer wins in the quarter. Approximately 45% of the licenses associated with these deals are cross-platform. During the first quarter, the Company recognized hardware revenue on approximately 1.1 million BlackBerry smartphones with an ASP of $240.

Q2 Results
    Non-GAAP revenue for the second quarter of fiscal 2016 was $491 million with GAAP revenue of $490 million. GAAP revenue reflects a purchase accounting write down of deferred revenue associated with the acquisition of WatchDox. The revenue breakdown for the quarter was approximately 15% for software and services, 41% for hardware, and 43% for service access fees (SAF). BlackBerry had 2,400 enterprise customer wins in the quarter. Approximately 60% of the licenses associated with these deals are cross-platform. During the second quarter, the Company recognized hardware revenue on over 800,000 BlackBerry smartphones with an ASP of approximately $240.
    09-25-15 06:36 AM
    I think there will be new B10 devices. The software just works so well. It works great on my Z10 which is a very modest piece of hardware in today's day.
    The android phone is a good move. And the slider form factor is one that some folks may want. BBRY can get the apps and also leverage their brand and keyboard skills. I think the phone will sell in some markets if it is priced competitively.
    There might be new BB10 devices but there will be no slider simply because it's pretty clear they don't want to pay Qualcomm for new drivers - so if you see a new BB10 device it will be a rehash based on existing chipsets and the like.
    09-25-15 06:37 AM
113,256 ... 35683569357035713572 ...