View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I've tried to find any connection between the word Priv and what you're suggesting.. I just can't find it Could you pls show me a text, or slang dictionary which confirms it's the outside toilet?
    As mentioned above - it's actually privy but that is often spoken as "I'm off to the Priv" - its not used as much but if you are of my age, the first thing that comes to mind is... the ****house.
    09-24-15 06:58 AM
    For the record, I hope it ends up being called the BlackBerry Priv, just for the joke factor alone. Leap was an awful name, but at least most people never heard of it...I have a feeling this slider has real selling potential, so 'Priv' will definitely get some attention. Depending on ER news, I might go ahead and buy a bunch of shares before the thing goes on sale. Priv to the rescue!

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 06:59 AM
    The name is not great, but by its definition it makes sense to BlackBerry's direction and core strengths.....as most of the civilized world defines "Priv" as the abbreviation to "Private". Even the Urban dictionary does not reference anything to what is being discussed here. I for one hope it's a false rumor, but if not, a name is just a name.

I suppose any name can be made fun of by adding letters or changing the sound. However, one could argue that this behavior is typically reserved for immature adolescent twats..... thankfully there are non of those in this thread

Corbu, lech31, morganplus8 and 7 others like this.
    09-24-15 07:10 AM
    No matter how you slice it, it's a terrible name for a slick phone...keep the Venice handle if there's nothing better...seriously disappointed if this is true...BlackBerry, listen up!!!

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    09-24-15 07:14 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-cpooza0xaaav038.jpg
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    09-24-15 07:40 AM
    (stolen from another thread) PRIV SE is quite a nice workaround too !
    jxnb likes this.
    09-24-15 07:44 AM
    Pronounced priv is not good. And I agree many English speakers will have a brain flash of privy outhouse and sh!thouse. Bad idea

Pronounced prive, which will seem awkward as that is not how it is spelled, so it will stick when people say it. Also similarly for most people privates make the brain go to the crotch for English speakers.

If is is supposed to make peoe automatically think this phone is about privacy.... most people won't make that leap (see what I did there?)

Don't they Pay people to check this out?

Btw Passport is a great name. Non-users know it and for those who say "Hey is that the new Blackberry?". It feels good to say back:"yah it's the Passport"

If I owned that one I would just say yah. Would not repeat the name.

I heard once that Mercedes liked the alphanumeric names becuase it encouraged people to just say "my Mercedes" instead of saying a model name.

Maybe that's what's up with the crap names?

Anyway, I agree crappy (sorry) name in English is it good in any language? Chinese?

Posted with my flash Passport
    CDM76 and techvisor like this.
    09-24-15 07:44 AM
    OK... they have come up with a "controversial" name.... sometimes being the but* of a joke still gets you noticed.

Anyway, any predictions on tomorrow? Anyone expecting something positive to push the stock up, or are we going to have to wait a couple more quarters?
    09-24-15 07:45 AM
    Corbu : ???
    morganplus8, lech31, 3MIKE and 2 others like this.
    09-24-15 07:45 AM
    OK... they have come up with a "controversial" name
    Actually, "They" didn't !
    It's only a rumor at this stage.
    morganplus8, Corbu, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    09-24-15 07:47 AM
    OK... they have come up with a "controversial" name.... sometimes being the but* of a joke still gets you noticed.

Anyway, any predictions on tomorrow? Anyone expecting something positive to push the stock up, or are we going to have to wait a couple more quarters?
    Equally, a good name would get you noticed too!
    I rather have them noticed for a good name for a good device!

I'll prefer unimaginative BlackBerry Slider over BlackBerry Priv!

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-24-15 08:00 AM
    09-24-15 08:02 AM
    09-24-15 08:03 AM
    09-24-15 08:16 AM
    Re: PRIV

I guess the marketing department was included in the last 200 job cuts....

Posted via CB10
    momantm and techvisor like this.
    09-24-15 09:00 AM
    I don't like the rumored Name for the BlackBerry slider. http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/24/b...android-phone/
    "If the device turns out to have killer features, then it doesn't matter what it's called: after all, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
    Corbu, morganplus8, 3MIKE and 7 others like this.
    09-24-15 09:04 AM
    In terms of expectations tomorrow, I expect it's all going to be about the forward guidance we hear from JC...I think the raw numbers may be rather dismal but with some bright spots (QNX, BES12/Good, IoT) needing specific discussion and guidance. In the end, it'll be a tough day if the software number is south of expectations so be prepared for the Faucettes of the world to jump (dump?) all over that...in the end, most investors need to see results before throwing money at a company (which is why I remain of the opinion that BlackBerry is a cheap stock with excellent long term growth potential). Just look at Apple for a perfect example of the way the Market views a company before it starts to make a zillion dollars...then it's too late to ride the biggest part of the wave. A surprise (upside) from BlackBerry would be nice - I'd be happy with them being prepared to answer questions clearly and without hesitation (like last time ). Best of luck to all.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, 3MIKE, W Hoa and 3 others like this.
    09-24-15 09:14 AM
    I don't like the rumored Name for the BlackBerry slider. BlackBerry's Android phone will be known as the 'Priv'
    "If the device turns out to have killer features, then it doesn't matter what it's called: after all, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
    I'm not sure what difference it makes in a name ..... if the iPhone 5 was/should have been called iCrap, (I tried to Trade Mark that name but Apple has it already) people still would have bought it to be the same as everyone else. When Apple came out with the iPhone 5, I shorted the stock, it was so boring with the same old small screen, outdated OS, bloated OS, it was dead on arrival for the stock. Now, they have a phone that few can distinguish from most Samsung and they are still on bloated software trying to catch up to the rest of the mobile world with dated features. It hasn't stopped Apple from selling to the masses has it?

We are devoting pages of commentary on a name for a phone that doesn't exist yet, let's see what Chen has to say in a few more hours.
    andyk350, Corbu, sidhuk and 14 others like this.
    09-24-15 09:26 AM
    The name is not great, but by its definition it makes sense to BlackBerry's direction and core strengths.....as most of the civilized world defines "Priv" as the abbreviation to "Private". Even the Urban dictionary does not reference anything to what is being discussed here. I for one hope it's a false rumor, but if not, a name is just a name.

I suppose any name can be made fun of by adding letters or changing the sound. However, one could argue that this behavior is typically reserved for immature adolescent twats..... thankfully there are non of those in this thread

I get that Priv maybe is short for privacy or private, but whomever came up with that name could have been much more imaginative. If privacy is the "theme" they want to follow for the phone's name, they should have looked for words that evoke the thought of privacy.

To just abbreviate the word "private" seems just lazy. One could do much better. Come on BlackBerry! I need this phone to sell! Daddy need a new pair of ~brown~ shoes!

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible Classic! 
    09-24-15 09:27 AM
    I'm certainly not a fan of the name Priv, but I don't think it'll matter too much. It may help generate extra publicity and that should help get the word out about the phone. Since marketing doesn't seem to be one of BlackBerry's strong points any extra publicity is welcome.

Also, there was a similar uproar about the name iPad when it was released, but Apple overcame that and managed to sell a few.

Finally, I'm hoping, but not expecting, Chen to announce a new feature the Priv will have that hasn't already been leaked in the earnings report tomorrow.
    09-24-15 09:29 AM
    I'm not sure what difference it makes in a name ..... if the iPhone 5 was/should have been called iCrap, (I tried to Trade Mark that name but Apple has it already) people still would have bought it to be the same as everyone else. When Apple came out with the iPhone 5, I shorted the stock, it was so boring with the same old small screen, outdated OS, bloated OS, it was dead on arrival for the stock. Now, they have a phone that few can distinguish from most Samsung and they are still on bloated software trying to catch up to the rest of the mobile world with dated features. It hasn't stopped Apple from selling to the masses has it?

We are devoting pages of commentary on a name for a phone that doesn't exist yet, let's see what Chen has to say in a few more hours.
    Well Said Morgan8. Agreed 100%.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 09:50 AM
    Actually, "They" didn't !
    It's only a rumor at this stage.
    A Rumor that CrackBerry has a lot of confidance in...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post11948482

And no they don't have one listed under BB10....
    09-24-15 10:02 AM
    In terms of expectations tomorrow, I expect it's all going to be about the forward guidance we hear from JC...I think the raw numbers may be rather dismal but with some bright spots (QNX, BES12/Good, IoT) needing specific discussion and guidance. In the end, it'll be a tough day if the software number is south of expectations so be prepared for the Faucettes of the world to jump (dump?) all over that...in the end, most investors need to see results before throwing money at a company (which is why I remain of the opinion that BlackBerry is a cheap stock with excellent long term growth potential). Just look at Apple for a perfect example of the way the Market views a company before it starts to make a zillion dollars...then it's too late to ride the biggest part of the wave. A surprise (upside) from BlackBerry would be nice - I'd be happy with them being prepared to answer questions clearly and without hesitation (like last time ). Best of luck to all.

Posted via CB10
    There isn't a Q&A this time is there? Maybe Chen will make the rounds with the market reporters, but I think the Q&A with investors is just once a year?
    09-24-15 10:04 AM
    There isn't a Q&A this time is there? Maybe Chen will make the rounds with the market reporters, but I think the Q&A with investors is just once a year?
    Yes with investors, but analysts usually get Q&A after the earnings report with Chen and the CFO.
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    09-24-15 10:31 AM
    A Rumor that CrackBerry has a lot of confidance in...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post11948482
    And no they don't have one listed under BB10....
    Well, they have infos I may not have or give credits to the leak and James contacts.
    Still ATM, it's a rumor [I hear what you mean]
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-24-15 10:40 AM
113,256 ... 35663567356835693570 ...