Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    If they are gonna pull that one also, I'll begin to speculate for sure :-P

Posted via CB10
    b121, morganplus8 and Mr BBRY like this.
    09-22-15 05:48 PM
    Dimi if you don't mind me asking, what bank are you referring too. Example would be Td bank, type search on the BlackBerry browser and hit the link that refers to TD Canada trust. The Web pages now are mobile friendly in HTML5. I no longer use apps. I just save the page in my home screen. Apps to me have become a thing of the past. But not all Web sites are up to date, but lots are. Try it out with your bank.

Example:

Attachment 372568
    Thanks for the advice :-) Of course you may ask: I'm with KBC Bank and Belfius.. both located in Belgium.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-15 06:41 PM
    Which android device with google services does microsoft sell? They don't is the answer. As for Tizen, there is no runtime built in (or least wasn't the last time I checked).
    Android OEMs also sell Windows phones, for example, Acer announced new Windows 10 models at IFA.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/09/04/ac...by-windows-10/

There is absolutely nothing stopping BlackBerry from using whatever technical solution Samsung and Microsoft implemented to integrate the Android runtime into their operating system.
    Last edited by sati01; 09-22-15 at 07:00 PM.
    09-22-15 06:48 PM
    Android OEMs also sell Windows phones, for example, Acer announced new Windows 10 models at IFA.

Acer unveils Jade Primo, the first 'PC Phone' powered by Windows 10 | MobileSyrup.com

There is absolutely nothing stopping BlackBerry of using whatever technical solution Samsung and Microsoft implemented to integrate the Android runtime into their operating system.
    CGK is correct, no Android partner has a runtime built-in to a non-Android device. Users can do whatever and Google doesn't care, thus why Tizen users can use ACL. Not sure what Win10 has to do with this, Win10 mobile does not natively run APK from factory phones. Users can use the tools in Project Astoria and do it tho.
    09-22-15 07:11 PM
    CGK is correct, no Android partner has a runtime built-in to a non-Android device. Users can do whatever and Google doesn't care, thus why Tizen users can use ACL. Not sure what Win10 has to do with this, Win10 mobile does not natively run APK from factory phones. Users can use the tools in Project Astoria and do it tho.
    Tizen downloads the Android runtime automatically with the first app that needs it. What's stopping BlackBerry from doing the same?

Windows does run naively Android APKs. Project Astoria is the implementation of the Andoroid runtime on Windows. WP users are sideloading APKs to their Windows phones and finding the same problems you see here.
    09-22-15 07:22 PM
    Thanks for the advice :-) Of course you may ask: I'm with KBC Bank and Belfius.. both located in Belgium.

Posted via CB10
    Kbc in Ireland are up to date. I tried the Belgium one but for some reason I get an error on my browser. Maybe you can give it a go.

https://www.kbc.ie/

But Belfius is not, sorry Dimi!

But the world is slowly updating their sites. Whatever site you want, just add M. In front of the name. That indicates that it's mobile or look for sites that have M. in front of them.
    Last edited by bbjdog; 09-22-15 at 08:21 PM.
    Corbu likes this.
    09-22-15 07:25 PM
    Tizen downloads the Android runtime automatically with the first app that needs it. What's stopping BlackBerry from doing the same?

Windows does run naively Android APKs. Project Astoria is the implementation of the Andoroid runtime on Windows. WP users are sideloading APKs to their Windows phones and finding the same problems you see here.
    If its user initiated then Google doesn't care its that simple. Could be as easy as downloading an app that then downloads ACL from a third party as in Tizen. As long as the manufacturer is not the source then its fine. For BB10, they could externalize the runtime this way and IMHO they should go the Tizen ACL route, as it removes alot of development work in runtime updates. Don't know how that will fit into the security scheme and that could be the hurdle.
    09-22-15 07:28 PM
    If its user initiated then Google doesn't care its that simple. Could be as easy as downloading an app that then downloads ACL from a third party as in Tizen. As long as the manufacturer is not the source then its fine. For BB10, they could externalize the runtime this way and IMHO they should go the Tizen ACL route, as it removes alot of development work in runtime updates. Don't know how that will fit into the security scheme and that could be the hurdle.
    It can be an operating system update, hopefully without the reboot.
    09-22-15 07:49 PM
    So that stock price...

Posted via CB10
    _dimi_ and Mr BBRY like this.
    09-22-15 08:54 PM
    So that stock price...

Posted via CB10
    Yeah that global market........
    morganplus8, Mr BBRY and rarsen like this.
    09-22-15 09:20 PM
    Yeah that global market........
    Yeah.... that price of oil.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 01:19 AM
    I agree that there are several signs that BB10 is EOL.

But there are some things that don't fit to this conclusion:

- I think we all agree, that if the Slider is only available in an Android version, everybody will see this as the final prove that we will see no new BB10 devices in future. So, why is BlackBerry opening a pupup store in Frankfurt right now, to advertise BB10 devices, only to tell the cutomers at the end of the year - in a few weeks - that BB10 is EOL? Only to sell a few unsold devices which are currently in stock? Makes no sense to me.

- At MWC this year, when Chen showed the Slider the first time, he said "...it has a lot of different usage - that you have to wait a little bit to see." What was he talking about? Obviously not the Android OS, because it seems not to have any 'different usage' than other Android phones despite the keyboard of course. It seems, that, at least at this point of time, BB was working on a new version of BB10 designed for the Slider with some new secret features. This could be the reason for the silence regarding the OS roadmap.

- The only reason to stop BB10 development is to close this platform asap for saving costs. But BlackBerry has still the legacy OS up and running and they are selling right now BB Classic devices to customers who are still replacing Bold 9900 devices. They want to convince customers to shut down the legacy OS asap and replace legacy devices by BB10. If BB10 looks to be EOL soon, the customers have replaced an legacy OS by an newer legacy OS.

Therefore I expect to see the Slider in a BB10 version too and BB10 going nowhere - maybe in kinda maintainance mode with a much smaller team working on it.
    But to be honest - I also see the possibility of BB10 going EOL, but right now it's not a proven fact.

If this happens, well, I will not go the Android path. It would be like selling my soul to the devil, LOL.
    3MIKE, BigBadWulf, jxnb and 6 others like this.
    09-23-15 04:04 AM
    AFAIK, no GPS in OpenMobile ACL and I deeply doubt BlackBerry would allow a third party to go that deep in the system for BB10.
    FYI (was before Tizen release but may be the most advanced fork): ACL for webOS Release Notes ? Support Center
    morganplus8 likes this.
    09-23-15 04:12 AM
    Therefore I expect to see the Slider in a BB10 version too and BB10 going nowhere - maybe in kinda maintainance mode with a much smaller team working on it.
    But to be honest - I also see the possibility of BB10 going EOL, but right now it's not a proven fact.

If this happens, well, I will not go the Android path. It would be like selling my soul to the devil, LOL.
    1. I don't expect a BB10 slider, I just hope it is an option. More likely another BB10 device will pop, sooner than later.
    2. Shall they drop an OS, it'll be BBOS7 *first*
    3. I maintain that there is no logical reason to keep offering the ART with BB10 once they've released the Android slider. Why should they ? Most BB10 hardcore lovers always had a dent against it and security will raise one level (perception wise), performances will jump (less memory usage, , less processor usage = less battery drain) and some will finally be happy with the Amazon icons out.

As I've stated numerous times, that's a radical change not a mezzo-mezzo like BB10+ART.
    Want BB10 ? Get it 100% with no compromise.
    Want Android ? Get it 100% with the latest, greatest experience and a pinch of security/productivity.
    Any other option will seriously question my mental skills.

Bottom line : Android is not the Devil ... To me, Google is. But again, we have to wait until we figure out how BlackBerry handled it and managed to keep their "soul" (DNA) uncompromising. There was this rumor stating BlackBerry will store some of the data on their own servers, but it went out of the radars ... while it's obviously a key point.
    To avoid further OT we/you can discuss it here :
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-rumors-f40/google-services-hosted-blackberry-1037126/

Another OT : would you believe BlackBerry Corporate Communications Director, EMEA would be in Frankfurt if there was a device release (like in London, for the Passport) ? Hint: she's not there. [pls keep this details (function) in this particular thread]
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-23-15 at 04:53 AM.
    3MIKE, morganplus8, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    09-23-15 04:22 AM
    @Superfly.. that would depend on how they want to generate ''buzz'' for this device. Imho, some of the leaks so far have been 100% controlled by BlackBerry themselves.. and they have gotten A LOT of press so far with very limited info. Am I the only one who has noticed we only get to see the home screen, notifications,... but none of the apps, Hub in action, etc? I could imagine them launching the device with an extensive press release. I think timing is more crucial than having an official launch event. A press release, with video tutorials, reviews,... saves time, money and is equally effective. Who knows, perhaps it's best not to hype this device too much...
    3MIKE, morganplus8, lech31 and 1 others like this.
    09-23-15 04:53 AM
    The history is right in front of your eyes. When BB10 was announced, development of BBOS had already slowed. Post BB10 release, development essentially came to a standstill. They had no shame continuing to sell the handsets, and still support BIS on the NOC, but can you honestly say the OS is anything other than EOL? BB10 will still operate, especially on an Enterprise level. Even if BlackBerry were to close its doors today, the critical services to governments would have to continue operation. An occasional maintenence upgrade though, in my humble opinion isn't indicative of an active OS. Unless there is at some pace advancement, it is EOL, whether they continue to sell it or not.

Please BlackBerry...
    PLEASE!
    Prove me wrong.
    09-23-15 06:06 AM
    BBW, the past history can back-up your reasoning well. Still, I believe there's a lot of value in BB10 ( / a QNX powered OS) and there's relatively no cost at integrating vanilla Google's Android. So, that's slightly different with BBOS7/BB10 situation. IF you remove ART from BB10 (even if one may believe there could be something like OpenMobile ACL in replacement - re: "secret IP deal" ?) then you have a perfect situation.
    BBOS7 is EOL (say 2 more years to go), BB10 can enhance (performance, productivity, security wise) with stock apps and Android follow the upgrade path (sharing components/drivers with Samy ?).
    That scenario is OK - at least plausible - for me.
    awindsr likes this.
    09-23-15 06:36 AM
    The guys from blackberrybase had an interview with Kai Schulte (Senior Manager, Technical Solutions) at yesterday's event. They quote: "BlackBerry10 belongs to Blackberry, stays with Blackberry and is not negotiable."
    I wonder if someone would have said this about BBOS before the release of BB10?

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-23-15 06:54 AM
    Kind of OT but this is an article from Android authority on why they're excited for the Venice

http://www.androidauthority.com/exci...venice-643867/

I see a lot of positive comments from Android users on videos and articles like this one that cover the Venice. It seems that the only people still not sold on it are BlackBerry purists. I really think this phone and concept will do wonders for BlackBerry's handset business, giving them further resources to further develop BB10.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible Classic! 
    09-23-15 07:04 AM
    I wonder if we'll hear about Movirtu soon... seems like ages ago that JC touted the virtual SIM/multiple phone number capability..
    09-23-15 07:07 AM
    BlackBerry Completes AtHoc Acquisition

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Sept. 23, 2015) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a global leader in secure mobile communications, today announced that it has completed the acquisition of AtHoc, a leading provider of secure, networked crisis communications. AtHoc will operate as a division of BlackBerry. AtHoc's Chief Executive Officer, Guy Miasnik, will lead the division as part of BlackBerry's senior leadership team reporting to John Chen, Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.

09-23-15 07:08 AM
    09-23-15 07:51 AM
    09-23-15 07:55 AM
    A few other interesting things about the GOOD acquisition. Visto was the former name of GOOD, also from the S-1 filing from March 5, 2015 when they filed to go public, maybe someone can explain the tax treatment of that payment and the tax loss carry forwards they have. It would explain that the nearly 200M in revenue GOOD had is lower as this payment is part of that. So 160M is what Chen said.

BlackBerry to Pay $267 Million to Settle Patent Lawsuit

20 Jul 2009,

Visto, which is a wireless e-mail company, had slapped the lawsuit on RIM in a Texas court for patent infringements in 2006.
    In its lawsuit, the US company had said that RIM was using its technology without authorisation. Visto's software is used Vodafone, Deutsche Telekom AG's T-Mobile and Sprint Nextel Corp.
    Terms of the settlement involve RIM receiving a perpetual and fully-paid license on all Visto patents, a transfer of certain Visto intellectual property, a one-time payment by RIM of US $ 267.5 million

From the S-1 From GOOD

During the years ended December 31, 2012, 2013 and 2014, we derived a significant portion of our revenues from a small number of customers, and we do not expect to receive a significant amount of new revenues from these customers in the future.
    For the year ended December 31, 2012, RIM, LG Electronics and AT&T (formerly Cingular Wireless) accounted for 16.8%, 14.1% and 9.6% of our total revenues, respectively. For the year ended December*31, 2013, RIM and AT&T accounted for 12.2% and 9.6% of our total revenues, respectively. For the year ended December*31, 2014, RIM and AT&T accounted for 9.2% and 9.0% of our total revenues, respectively. We do not expect to derive a significant portion of new revenues from these customers in the future. Revenues from RIM represent the amortization of the $267.5 million license payment that we received from RIM in 2009, which we will continue to amortize through July 2019. Revenues from LG Electronics represent sales of our legacy consumer product, which we are no longer actively marketing and selling.

Also they have loss carry forwards as well.....

December*31, 2014, we had net operating loss carry forwards for federal income tax purposes of $494.2*million, which will begin to expire in 2018,

Posted via CB10
    jxnb, Corbu, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    09-23-15 09:11 AM
    BBW, the past history can back-up your reasoning well. Still, I believe there's a lot of value in BB10 ( / a QNX powered OS) and there's relatively no cost at integrating vanilla Google's Android. So, that's slightly different with BBOS7/BB10 situation. IF you remove ART from BB10 (even if one may believe there could be something like OpenMobile ACL in replacement - re: "secret IP deal" ?) then you have a perfect situation.
    BBOS7 is EOL (say 2 more years to go), BB10 can enhance (performance, productivity, security wise) with stock apps and Android follow the upgrade path (sharing components/drivers with Samy ?).
    That scenario is OK - at least plausible - for me.
    If there is value in BB10... why aren't they working with developers to make it better? Why has the BB10 SDK Project Manager left the company?
    If BB10 is to continue without the RT, they will need developers more... not less.

And if sales are down to 800K a quarter... what would they be without the Runtime? Would that be enough to justify other devices and continue OS and in house bundled app development? Would it even justify the cost of rebuilding BB10 without the Runtime?

I just think that it simply comes down to what are the cost vs what are the potential revenues. And in my book BB10 either has to be let go... or it has to morph into something they can charge a LOT more for.
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    09-23-15 09:20 AM
113,250 ... 35633564356535663567 ...