702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Sorry about the link spam

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE likes this.
    09-20-15 08:30 AM
    09-20-15 09:23 AM
    Interesting story.. could they be referring to the Blackphone?

https://grsecurity.net/announce.php

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 10:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Doubtful because they mention a 'multi-billion' company.
    _dimi_ likes this.
    09-20-15 10:32 AM
    09-20-15 10:53 AM
    From Sept 18, don't think it's been posted (might be wrong)

http://fortune.com/2015/09/18/blackb...=yahoo_fortune
    Last edited by bbjdog; 09-20-15 at 12:17 PM.
    rarsen and 3MIKE like this.
    09-20-15 11:37 AM
    Hi Morgan!!! Any predictions for the ER next Friday?
    09-20-15 11:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    I read about this a while back, but up until then, I have never even heard their name mentioned.
    If BlackBerry is truly going into the Android world, they should consider buying this small Corporation. If nothing else comes out of it, they could utilize the industrial property and design to an advantage for leverage on future dealings perhaps with Sierra Wireless, Cisco and Samsung.

I wonder if the culprit is Cisco?
    09-20-15 12:31 PM
    Courtesy of Earnings Whisper.

BlackBerry$7.50
    BlackBerry (BBRY) is confirmed to report earnings at approximately 7:00 AM ET on Friday, September 25, 2015. The consensus estimate is for a loss of $0.07 per share on revenue of $610.16 million and the Earnings Whisper � number is ($0.05) per share. Investor sentiment going into the company's earnings release has 43% expecting an earnings beat. Consensus estimates are for earnings to decline year-over-year by 250.00% with revenue decreasing by 33.39%. Short interest has increased by 5.8% since the company's last earnings release while the stock has drifted lower by 17.4% from its open following the earnings release to be 19.6% below its 200 day moving average of $9.33. Overall earnings estimates have been revised lower since the company's last earnings release. Option traders are pricing in a 9.9% move on earnings and the stock has averaged a 4.7% move in recent quarters.
    09-20-15 01:43 PM
    09-20-15 01:48 PM
    Hi Morgan!!! Any predictions for the ER next Friday?
    dimi !!

Sorry, this past week I have been busy but still finding time to follow the talk on this thread, excellent posts people.

I don't know what to expect, I assume the numbers will be slightly negative but it is more about Chen's vision of the next two quarters that matters. Are we going to see another licensing deal in the next quarter? Are handset sales leveling off at these low levels? We also need to hear that software is growing this past quarter. We are long overdue for some news on handsets, enterprise and acquisitions, as long as Chen is upbeat I'm thinking we have some room to rally here.

Over this past week, we climbed above the 50-dma, held it until the close on Friday and that's incredible for a pre-release earnings period, AND, a 290 point drop in the DOW. In terms of TA, we haven't looked this good since May/2015. As for my Passport, alas, I have dropped it one too many times again, and broke the glass! I'm in the market for a phone and don't know what to buy this time around, come on Chen, show us something new!

Please tell me, what are your numbers for Friday?
    Corbu, rarsen, jxnb and 14 others like this.
    09-20-15 02:44 PM
    dimi !!

Sorry, this past week I have been busy but still finding time to follow the talk on this thread, excellent posts people.

I don't know what to expect, I assume the numbers will be slightly negative but it is more about Chen's vision of the next two quarters that matters. Are we going to see another licensing deal in the next quarter? Are handset sales leveling off at these low levels? We also need to hear that software is growing this past quarter. We are long overdue for some news on handsets, enterprise and acquisitions, as long as Chen is upbeat I'm thinking we have some room to rally here.

Over this past week, we climbed above the 50-dma, held it until the close on Friday and that's incredible for a pre-release earnings period, AND, a 290 point drop in the DOW. In terms of TA, we haven't looked this good since May/2015. As for my Passport, alas, I have dropped it one too many times again, and broke the glass! I'm in the market for a phone and don't know what to buy this time around, come on Chen, show us something new!

Please tell me, what are your numbers for Friday?
    No predictions for their cash on hand? The purchase of Good took place in Q3, but the Athoc acquisition was in Q2 so I *hope* they manage to increase their cash position slightly

Hardware:
    I have no idea what to expect here. I've read that JC plans to launch only 1 or 2 devices per year going forward, so I'm expecting he will have stabilized this aspect of the business. Also, prices of the Passport, Classic and Leap have been really steady.. and if JC wants to come across as credible when he talks about the end-to-end security that BB10 offers while introducing an Android device, we can't afford to see a huge drop-off in sales numbers for BB10. So, my guess is that revenue or margins won't differ much from last quarter's numbers.

Service, Software & Patent Licensing:
    For Service and Software revenue, I expect them to announce that they hit bottom in Q2. Revenue from the Good acquisition and BES12 converts should make up for any lost SAF revenue going forward according to my calculations.

So that hopefully leaves room for upside. Any other ideas / remarks?
    09-20-15 03:52 PM
    IMHO the key point is the mystery partnership.
    If it is Android security related, in particular.
    Moreover if it's 'sniffing before more'.
    If BlackBerry uses a particular technology that is not of their own, it has to be exclusive. On the other way, if it is, they probably need a partner to spread it to others Android makers, as a 'blackbox'.
    Make your bets...
    But I'm still wondering why this partnership had to be secret and what's the direction... after all we only had a grand total : it could be either revenues or expenses. Which could explain why they did not disclose amounts... (talk about a weird thought, but you know...)
    Can't wait until Friday

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 03:59 PM
    IMHO the key point is the mystery partnership.
    If it is Android security related, in particular.
    Moreover if it's 'sniffing before more'.
    If BlackBerry uses a particular technology that is not of their own, it has to be exclusive. On the other way, if it is, they probably need a partner to spread it to others Android makers, as a 'blackbox'.
    Make your bets...
    But I'm still wondering why this partnership had to be secret and what's the direction... after all we only had a grand total : it could be either revenues or expenses. Which could explain why they did not disclose amounts... (talk about a weird thought, but you know...)
    Can't wait until Friday

Posted via CB10
    I think I'm missing something here. Which mysterious partnership?

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 04:11 PM
    If you don't own share(s) in BlackBerry, please don't come on here pessimism. We have BlackBerry stock in portfolio for different reasons, but #1 is business/profit.

Posted via CA Governor's BlackBerry� Passport SE
    09-20-15 05:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    The one between JC and SF ;-)
    Jokes apart, I believe he is talking about the Google partnership or Samsung partnership..Generally speaking the partnership that is making BlackBerry (we are hoping so) one of the main actor in the 'Securing Android' impossible mission!

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 05:12 PM
    Could our friend SF be referring to this?

CEO John Chen also noted a second licensing deal during the quarter with a “major technology provider” that for contract reasons he was unable to name.
    BlackBerry Q1 FY16 Highlights: 150% Software Sales and Licensing Growth, Cisco and Intel Deals, and More | Inside BlackBerry
    09-20-15 05:20 PM
    was that income (from the second source) accounted for in the last quarter or yet to be seen in this earning report?
    09-20-15 05:58 PM
    was that income (from the second source) accounted for in the last quarter or yet to be seen in this earning report?
    I am not sure we have enough information to enable us to give any form of conclusive answer to your question, sidhuk, since details were not given (in the PR, 6-K, etc.) either for Cisco or for the second mysterious partner.

I think we can presume that BB got some revenue but what revenue precisely and wherefrom are anybody's guess at this point, I think.

Others who know better will correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by Corbu; 09-20-15 at 06:34 PM.
    09-20-15 06:23 PM
    09-20-15 09:04 PM
    Will be busy this week and not much time to stop by guys, but just wanted to give a heads up that the Venice is on the most popular list on YouTube with nearly 500,000 views so far.
    09-20-15 11:21 PM
    I thought that was an IP licensing deal ? Because it was discussed in that context in the last earnings call.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-21-15 01:00 AM
    Could our friend SF be referring to this?
    CEO John Chen also noted a second licensing deal during the quarter with a “major technology provider” that for contract reasons he was unable to name.
    Corbu !!!
    Get out of my head !
    Thanks !!!
    Related to the Kernel version we can see on this leaked image (props to Android Authority/BerryFlow)
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-blackberry-venice-leak-2-bbos-1js.jpg

The Android version on this device is 5.1.1 and the kernel that is using Grsecurity
    Grsecurity is an extensive security enhancement to the Linux kernel that defends against a wide range of security threats through intelligent access control, memory corruption-based exploit prevention, and a host of other system hardening that generally require no configuration. It has been actively developed and maintained for the past 14 years. Commercial support for grsecurity is available through Open Source Security, Inc.
    edited :

Also ...
    I made some digging and tried to figure a little more about this
    BlackBerry will begin proof of concept trials in November for their IoT asset tracking box | CrackBerry.com

And then wondered what IoT transmission protocol they will use ...
    For that type of devices and battery life, you need to use low speed frequencies/protocols.
    There's a war ramping right now and standards are far to emerge.
    Providing an end to end solution may be a real opportunity here for those currently balancing the different technologies ...

And then I found CISCO is a member of LORA Alliance (https://www.lora-alliance.org) and I wonder if we don't have to make a link here with the patents deal and the "hidden" new partner ...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-21-15 at 04:12 AM.
    lech31, morganplus8, jxnb and 4 others like this.
    09-21-15 03:42 AM
    BlackBerry CEO John Chen on what's most important for any business
    So obviously ...
    09-21-15 03:46 AM
    I thought that was an IP licensing deal ? Because it was discussed in that context in the last earnings call.
    Yes. But we have no clue how it balanced. I mean it can be cross-licensing, as in 'inject some BlackBerry secret receipt' within an existing solution ... That's what I meant.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    09-21-15 03:49 AM
113,256 ... 35593560356135623563 ...