View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I believe that Chen just set the bottom with these IoT announcements. Barring a brutal Q2 next week, that is. I think that one year from now, we'll all look back and regret not buying that extra block of leap calls! Funny how my sense of dread that's been building since Q1 is gone this morning. Good luck all.
    3MIKE likes this.
    09-18-15 06:45 AM
    Noticed how JC is not TAUNTING the employees who left the company. Because he has to set the standard for everything he is asking every one else o do. NOT every one has that quality. Majority like to taunt but ask others to behave. That's why JC is well respected. I should learn thing or two from him. Well done. BlackBerry is in good hands

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 08:42 AM
    Apple wins patent ruling against Samsung in U.S. appeals court

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:06pm EDT

By Andrew Chung

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A U.S. appeals court on Thursday said Apple AAPL.O should have been awarded an injunction barring Samsung 005930.KS from selling products that infringe its patents, handing Apple another victory in its ongoing smartphone fight with its biggest rival.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington, D.C. said the lower court abused its discretion when it denied Apple Inc an injunction after a jury ordered Samsung Electronics Co Ltd to pay $120 million in May, 2014 for infringing three of Apple's patents.

The case involved Apple patents covering the iPhone's slide-to-unlock, autocorrect and data detection features.

The 2-1 appeals court ruling said that Apple's proposed injunction is narrow because it does not want to ban Samsung's devices from the marketplace, and that Samsung can remove the patented features without recalling its products.

"Apple does not seek to enjoin the sale of lifesaving drugs, but to prevent Samsung from profiting from the unauthorized use of infringing features in its cellphones and tablets," the court said.

The case was sent back to a federal district court in San Jose, California, to reconsider the injunction.

After the jury verdict last year, U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh in August, 2014 refused Apple's request for a permanent injunction to stop Samsung from selling the infringing features on its smartphones.

In a statement, Samsung sought to reassure its customers that all of its flagship smartphones will remain available for sale and customer service support

Calling Apple's injunction request "unfounded," a spokeswoman said Samsung will ask the full slate of Federal Circuit judges to review Thursday's decision.

Apple reiterated its previous comments about the case, saying "Samsung willfully stole our ideas and copied our products."

In a separate, blockbuster case, the Federal Circuit in May stripped about $382 million from a $930 million judgment against Samsung stemming from a 2012 verdict for infringing Apple's patents and copying the look of the iPhone. Both companies are now sparring in Koh's court over a final damages figure in that case.

The impact of Thursday's decision on Samsung could be limited because the company has been bracing for a possible injunction, said Michael Risch, a professor of law at Villanova University School of Law. Samsung has probably designed around the features or abandoned them already, he said.

In the Apple-Samsung patent wars, "Apple has won every round," he said. "But the reality is it hasn't actually slowed Samsung down."

The case is Apple Inc v. Samsung Electronics Co Ltd, in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, No. 14-1802.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 08:44 AM
    They need to roll out a BB10 roadmap tout suite, cause this is getting scary, and won't make for good stage presence.
    Unfortunately, it is not known that there will be new in OS 10.3.3, and there will be the there built-in virtual machine Android or the changed system on the basis QNX Hypervisor.
    disclaimer : all the following comments are speculations of my own.
    I believe this is why they cannot communicate, if you ask me. As soon as the Slider is out, they will be able to communicate again.

As I wrote in another thread, I believe you'll soon have to choose you camp : either 100% BB10 or Android.
    And I'm OK with that.
    The Hypervisor is still a concept, and if you want me to speculate on this, here it is : I'd love it to be SAAS at its highest level : use SW that is not on your device, remotely. All apps, all OSes.
    09-18-15 08:46 AM
    I should learn thing or two from him.
    You just did and so do we now
    Thanks !
    09-18-15 08:51 AM
    The man is with "class", Sid. Sets a very high standard for us amongst commoners.
    Last edited by La Emperor; 09-18-15 at 01:35 PM.
    sidhuk, Corbu, Superfly_FR and 3 others like this.
    09-18-15 08:59 AM
    Very short...

Published on Sep 18, 2015
    BlackBerry CEO John Chen, appearing at the 2015 Waterloo Innovation Summit, talks about his company's history in Waterloo Region, and where he'd like to take it in the coming decade.
    09-18-15 09:15 AM
    disclaimer : all the following comments are speculations of my own.
    I believe this is why they cannot communicate, if you ask me. As soon as the Slider is out, they will be able to communicate again.

As I wrote in another thread, I believe you'll soon have to choose you camp : either 100% BB10 or Android.
    And I'm OK with that.
    The Hypervisor is still a concept, and if you want me to speculate on this, here it is : I'd love it to be SAAS at its highest level : use SW that is not on your device, remotely. All apps, all OSes.
    At this point it's not about whether there's new features coming. As I said before in this thread...how do you market a phone who's OS appears EOL? Customers just need a taste of assurance.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-18-15 09:32 AM
    Yes, of course. Still they cannot now, as I believe introduction of Android will be a game changer in many aspects and they're not ready yet to market it (BB10) in its new form. We may even have to wait the first (internal) round of sales figures before they make it public.
    In the meantime, there's only the Passport refresh (SE) in the air [the Best BB10 device I had, BTW] and it's targeting people who couldn't care less about that, provided it can have a normal life duration (say 2-3 years). So that's not a question of weeks/months, IMHO.

P.S: *cough* aren't we sliding (too long &) a bit OT ?
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    09-18-15 09:38 AM
    Yes, of course. Still they cannot now, as I believe introduction of Android will be a game changer in many aspects and they're not ready yet to market it (BB10) in its new form. We may even have to wait the first (internal) round of sales figures before they make it public.
    In the meantime, there's only the Passport refresh (SE) in the air [the Best BB10 device I had, BTW] and it's targeting people who couldn't care less about that, provided it can have a normal life duration (say 2-3 years). So that's not a question of weeks/months, IMHO.

P.S: *cough* aren't we sliding (too long &) a bit OT ?
    It all depends who is their target. BlackBerry will never be like 2007 in the devices business. Why? Because BlackBerry is tainted with professional devices and it's a boring phone! Their is no point to spend billions of dollars to develop bb10. In the meantime they will spend their money on software development and security related. John Chen repeatedly saying that BlackBerry 10 devices are here to stay. Otherwise they can't sell true end to end security.

#BBFactCheck
    Superfly_FR and DREXcb like this.
    09-18-15 09:58 AM
    It's all about the mix. And Chen seems pretty good at it.
    I won't be surprised if we see a new 'consumers and MSME' division if the Slider meets popularity. (<= back on topic !)
    09-18-15 10:00 AM
    09-18-15 10:17 AM
    I made some digging and tried to figure a little more about this
    BlackBerry will begin proof of concept trials in November for their IoT asset tracking box | CrackBerry.com

And then wondered what IoT transmission protocol they will use ...
    For that type of devices and battery life, you need to use low speed frequencies/protocols.
    There's a war ramping right now and standards are far to emerge.
    Providing an end to end solution may be a real opportunity here for those currently balancing the different technologies ...

And then I found CISCO is a member of LORA Alliance (https://www.lora-alliance.org) and I wonder if we don't have to make a link here with the patents deal and the "hidden" new partner ...
    09-18-15 10:24 AM
    Looks like BlackBerry is back with some awesome hardware... I certainly hope this will be picked up in the market.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR, sidhuk and lech31 like this.
    09-18-15 10:32 AM
    Virtually stock android - the security must either in a hardware module or Blend - if not, BBRY's version of security is about to get stretched a little...
    09-18-15 10:33 AM
    We definitely have to learn more about how they "secured" this.
    CDM76 and rarsen like this.
    09-18-15 10:36 AM
    Let's see what happens Stock Wise with this leak ... interesting raise quite the minute it went live ...
    News -> 50-DMA -> ???
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png

Edit : we broke it.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    09-18-15 10:39 AM
    SF, thank you for the video link...

I think it's quite a gorgeous phone and will serve to differentiate itself very nicely in the Android line up if it can get fair representation on the store shelves and displays. A slide out PKB that is also touch sensitive like my Passport is brilliant and if it will encourage and enable more global users to have some of the quality Blackberry feel, it's going to be a win. They will get to experience both the physical aspect as well as a somewhat hybrid type of software navigation/OS to give them a truly unique product that can bridge some of that perceived gap without jumping fully into a BB10 OS.
    Superfly_FR and rarsen like this.
    09-18-15 10:41 AM
    SF, thank you for the video link...

I think it's quite a gorgeous phone and will serve to differentiate itself very nicely in the Android line up if it can get fair representation on the store shelves and displays. A slide out PKB that is also touch sensitive like my Passport is brilliant and if it will encourage and enable more global users to have some of the quality Blackberry feel, it's going to be a win. They will get to experience both the physical aspect as well as a somewhat hybrid type of software navigation/OS to give them a truly unique product that can bridge some of that perceived gap without jumping fully into a BB10 OS.
    I'm seriously tempted if the price is right...
    3MIKE likes this.
    09-18-15 10:46 AM
    Can't help notice that he was covering something on the back of the phone with his hand. Check the last minute or so of the video.
    09-18-15 10:54 AM
    Can't help notice that he was covering something on the back of the phone with his hand. Check the last minute or so of the video.
    I think it's just a sticker that probably states that it's not for resale and he will lose his left (and possibly right) testicle if he takes it home.
    andyk350 and 3MIKE like this.
    09-18-15 10:57 AM
    I think it's just a sticker that probably states that it's not for resale and he will lose his left (and possibly right) testicle if he takes it home.
    It will be "property of RIM" (yes they still say RIM) and an identification number.
    09-18-15 10:59 AM
    It will be "property of RIM" (yes they still say RIM) and an identification number.
    Or that...
    09-18-15 11:02 AM
    It's gorgeous! But I will miss the bb10 experience

Posted via crackberry10 on my new Z30!
    3MIKE and BigBadWulf like this.
    09-18-15 11:11 AM
    Microsoft Windows Is the Biggest Carrier of Mobile Infections: Report , 18 September 2015

Despite having a minor market share in the mobile market, Microsoft's Windows platform is still by far the biggest carrier of mobile infections delivered via mobile networks, as per the latest report from Alcatel-Lucent's Motive Security Lab.

The report, which took in more than 100 million devices in consideration, noted that Windows devices accounted for 80 percent of all the infections that circulated via mobile networks in Q2 2015.

One may find it surprising how Windows laptops and PCs are the carriers of malware via mobile networks. But as the report noted, a vast majority of users connect their computers to the Internet via dongles and other mobile Wi-Fi devices. Users also tether Internet to their computer from their handset or mobile dongles, and vice versa. Furthermore, people readily connect their handsets to their computers to move files. This is how most of the malware spreads, the report noted.

"Most people are surprised to find such a high proportion of Windows/PC devices involved," Alcatel-Lucent said in its report, adding, "These Windows/PCs are connected to the mobile network via dongles and mobile Wi-Fi devices or simply tethered through smartphones. They are responsible for a large percentage of the malware infections observed [...] As the mobile network becomes the access network of choice for many Windows PCs, the malware moves with them."

The researchers touted BlackBerry's controlled app distribution environment and wrote that it is able to keep infections at bay. As for Android, its share of the total infection dropped from 50 percent to 20 percent. Alcatel-Lucent noted that Google's continuous efforts have bolster the overall security in its mobile operating system. iOS and other operating systems are fairly secure.
    sidhuk, rarsen, JLagoon and 2 others like this.
    09-18-15 11:22 AM
113,256 ... 35563557355835593560 ...