View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    John Chen on security: If you buy a Microsoft phone you might as well buy a microphone. @BNN #WINS15

LOL!

Posted via CB10
    09-17-15 10:54 AM
    09-17-15 10:58 AM
    09-17-15 10:59 AM
    That's an interesting valuation if genuine. INR 6684 == U$100 at current exchange rates. For customs purposes that should be the actual valuation not some arbitrary value intended to evade duty and tax, so it looks like they are not talking premium flagship valuations.

If any doubts.

Attachment 371784

Posted via CB10
    09-17-15 11:14 AM
    Damn, I knew there was a reason I'm long BBRY. This could be huuuuuge.
    Posted via CB10
    The market is indeed huge. So is the number of established players for both satellite and cellular solutions. Another "too little, too late" fizzle.
    09-17-15 11:19 AM
    The market is indeed huge. So is the number of established players for both satellite and cellular solutions. Another "too little, too late" fizzle.
    But None of them use blackberry's secure network. this is not about consumer phones where security is about naked pictures and personal data. I d say that blackberry does have something different when it comes to the complete package. I know few companies personally and have used and sold their products. it is a great idea and it works. blackberry has lots of irons in the fire and they dont and wont be relying on just one of them. I personally dont like the "too little too late". company is trying. not different from apple or samsung and millions of other companies trying their products.
    09-17-15 11:31 AM
    #WINS15 on Twitter ...
    A tremendous post, Superfly! Thanks for saving me two hours of following twitter feeds and searching for event highlights! Thanks a million!
    Corbu, sidhuk, La Emperor and 2 others like this.
    09-17-15 11:32 AM
    That's an interesting valuation if genuine. INR 6684 == U$100 at current exchange rates. For customs purposes that should be the actual valuation not some arbitrary value intended to evade duty and tax, so it looks like they are not talking premium flagship valuations.
    on the customs form, no where it says Venice slider either.
    Superfly_FR and rarsen like this.
    09-17-15 11:34 AM
    Let's start with 5%, will be fine. It's not core activity
    Moreover they can provide "part of the solution" as in network, software, device ... or simply patents.
    sidhuk, Corbu, Mr BBRY and 5 others like this.
    09-17-15 11:35 AM
    But None of them use blackberry's secure network. this is not about consumer phones where security is about naked pictures and personal data. I d say that blackberry does have something different when it comes to the complete package. I know few companies personally and have used and sold their products. it is a great idea and it works. blackberry has lots of irons in the fire and they dont and wont be relying on just one of them. I personally dont like the "too little too late". company is trying. not different from apple or samsung and millions of other companies trying their products.
    I hate the expression 'too little too late', because it is basically meaningless personal opinion, without any factual basis, to stifle new efforts or innovations. Something new can always be described as 'too little too late', until it can't. In this case, Dr. Chennakeshu, who heads BTS (i.e. BBRYs 'new' stuff), clearly stated that 'this has never been done before, not with power of its own', and 'it is 100 per cent our design and concept. We have patented it...'. So please explain what is actually too little and what is actually too late. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-15 11:45 AM
    Could it be some demo phones?

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and rarsen like this.
    09-17-15 11:46 AM
    Mobile Nations need to plan a team building weekend so some of these mods can finally vent....

Posted via CB10
    09-17-15 11:51 AM
    Wondering what "W/O TV" means ... No screen ? Could it be assembly parts ?

Could it be some demo phones?
    Posted via CB10
    Or ^^^ This
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-17-15 at 12:03 PM.
    awindsr and rarsen like this.
    09-17-15 11:53 AM
    Mobile Nations need to plan a team building weekend so some of these mods can finally vent....

Posted via CB10
    Focus on the question or assumption, please.
    For venting, we all have places to go
    Thanks !
    _dimi_, BigBadWulf and rarsen like this.
    09-17-15 11:56 AM
    OT: HALO is making quite a nice run this week and is up another 4% so far today. It looks like biotech sector is trying to break out and HALO is a major frontrunner there. The fed decision at 2pm EST should be either make or break here, even for BBRY. Any thoughts?
    Corbu, 3MIKE, OlympusMons and 2 others like this.
    09-17-15 12:02 PM

Or ^^^ This
    Could also mean no output to tv or prevents tv viewing.
    09-17-15 12:07 PM

Or ^^^ This
    This very well could be... The screen alone is rumored to cost $100 to produce.
    09-17-15 12:10 PM
    Still
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-17-15 at 02:36 PM.
    09-17-15 12:32 PM
    As I was asking to myself "uhhh ... where is the 50-DMA ?" I found this may be useful to many :
    Live here : https://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=BBRY+Key+Statistics

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png
    Corbu, sidhuk, Greened and 5 others like this.
    09-17-15 12:44 PM
    Mobile security company Lookout wanted to see what the reality of this “shadow BYOD” is, and it’s not pretty. An analysis of records for Lookout-enabled devices found 14,622 associated with government networks. More than one in 10 of those devices registered a "serious mobile threat encounter" over the course of a year.

In a survey of over 1,000 government employees at 20 agencies in June, Lookout discovered that fully half of them have used their personal devices to get email, and nearly as many have used them to download work documents.
    Dumb and dumber: Shadow BYOD in government agencies -- GCN

GOOD times ahead for BlackBerry
    09-17-15 12:49 PM
    BlackBerry Ltd CEO John Chen sees patents as key to turnaround strategy | Financial Post

WATERLOO, Ontario � BlackBerry Ltd sees its massive patent portfolio as one of the key elements in its turnaround strategy as it pivots to focus more on its software and enterprise business, Chief Executive John Chen said on Thursday.

�We have today about 44,000 patents. The good thing about this is that we also have one of the youngest patent portfolios in the entire industry, so monetization of our patents is an important aspect of our turnaround,� Chen said while speaking in the company�s hometown at the Waterloo Innovation Summit.

BlackBerry�s fiscal first quarter results in June benefited from this strategy of monetizing its intellectual property, with software and licensing revenue rising more than 150 per cent to US$137 million.

The gains were largely driven by two new licensing deals, one with Cisco Systems Inc and one with an unnamed party, that made significant contributions to its software revenue in the quarter.

Chen said the challenge is balancing between aggressively safeguarding one�s patents via lawsuits or monetizing them via collaborative licensing agreements.

�If you go too far and become too aggressive, you become a (patent) troll,� said Chen, who said the company was not keen on taking that approach or gaining such a reputation.

�If you want to go about monetizing your patents in a non-aggressive, legal way then it takes time, and in a turnaround time is one of the key commodities you don�t have, so balancing those two is very difficult.�

Chen stressed that the company plans to keep innovating and staying a market leader in secure communications, where the company has tremendous amounts of know-how.

�The fact that a company is financially not doing that well, or that it�s market share is not doing that well, doesn�t mean it can�t innovate,� said Chen.
    Superfly_FR, sidhuk, jxnb and 5 others like this.
    09-17-15 12:51 PM
    NEWS:
    Fed leaves rates unchanged.
    09-17-15 01:02 PM
    https://waterlooinnovationsummit.com/blog/180

SECURITY AND PRIVACY KEY TO BLACKBERRY’S FUTURE

Blackberry is here for the long haul, and global demand for security and privacy will be key to its success, says John Chen, chief executive officer of the Waterloo-based smartphone innovator.

“Security is important to enterprise; privacy is important to the individual.”

Chen shared his ideas in a “fireside chat” with Thomson Reuters senior vice-president of innovation, Cary Burch, before the 250 attendees at the Waterloo Innovation Summit, Thursday, Sept. 17 at the University of Waterloo.

Focus on secure communications
    Chen told the audience that BlackBerry now has about 44,000 patents, and “our focus is very narrow — secure communications.”

There were lighter moments as Chen referred to the “other fruit company” making smart handsets, and other handsets in general. After he laid out the genesis of the BlackBerry — from its secure handset through to its secure messaging system — Chen referenced five new acquisitions made in the last 20 months, all targeting secure communications.

Smartphone or microphone?
    He recounted that when Germany chancellor Angela Merkel learned via the Snowden leaks that the U.S. National Security Agency was eavesdropping on her conversations, she dropped her Nokia phone (“which Microsoft subsequently bought,” said Chen) and tipped the audience that, “when you buy a Windows phone, you might as well buy a microphone.”

The CEO of Waterloo-based BlackBerry came out of retirement in 2013, after a successful run as the chief executive who returned Silicon Valley database software firm Sybase to profitability. Chen’s arrival at BlackBerry was part of a $1 billion financing deal with Fairfax Holdings Ltd.

Chen told the audience, “We’re not going to go away as a company. I think the hardest thing is patience. . . . We don’t let the market or the competition dictate the pace. Good things take time. In a public company format, time is something you may not be able to afford.”

Fireside highlights
    BlackBerry has one of the youngest patent portfolios in the entire industry, with an average age around 15-16 years.
    “Cellphones are extremely emotional — you probably sleep with your cellphone. I know I do. When I travel, I sleep with my cell phone more times than I sleep with my wife.”
    “I want the employees (of BlackBerry) to feel very proud, want them to feel wanted. I’m trying to recapture that team spirit. We’re still in the forming stage, but I’m trying to recapture it.”
    09-17-15 01:08 PM
    "In a public company format, time is something you may not be able to afford'

This statement tells me that they are looking at going private.
    09-17-15 01:32 PM
113,252 ... 35543555355635573558 ...