View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    MSFT about to announce new devices (read : smartphones ? Rumor : Lumia 950 / 950 XL and maybe Surface Pro 4) running W10 the 6th of october.
    Talk about a short window to announce news about BlackBerry devices ... or ... naaah, enough speculations (<= this was just for the fun) !
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-co4drbiusaa07mc.jpg

@BM :
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-14-15 at 11:22 AM. Reason: More details about the devices)
    09-14-15 11:17 AM
    09-14-15 11:31 AM
    Globe and Fail article on new phone

BlackBerry plans for premium Android device may miss market

SHANE DINGMAN - TECHNOLOGY REPORTER
    THE GLOBE AND MAIL
    Last updated Monday, Sep. 14, 2015 5:55PM EDT

Just as BlackBerry Ltd. finally seems poised to answer the call consumers have been making � that it sell an Android-powered handset � worrying signals are emerging about the financial health of companies that rely on Google�s mobile operating system.

Months of rumours, photo leaks and short glimpses by executives suggest BlackBerry�s upcoming Venice smartphone will abandon its proprietary BB10 operating system in favour of Google�s platform. Speculation is the Venice will be released this fall, and may boast a rather large 5.4-inch screen, an impressive 18-megapixel rear-camera and a slide-out version of BlackBerry�s famed physical keyboard. Rumours suggest it is using the same 1.8-gigahertz Snapdragon processor as the LG flagship G4 phone.

By most measures, that�s a premium device, and it is likely to be priced as such. Last year�s Passport still sells for $600, and the throwback Classic is priced at $500.

�I always said, if I could secure Android, I would make an Android phone. Now if I can�t, then I won�t,� BlackBerry chief executive officer John Chen said in June.

The larger question may be whether he can produce a secure Android phone cheap enough to fit into a changing market. This has been a very tough year for premium-priced Android phones.

�The global Android smartphone [average selling price] has been falling this year for struggling brands like HTC and Lenovo, but it has been increasing for rising brands that are expanding into higher price-bands, such as Huawei and Oppo,� said Neil Mawston, executive director of London�s Strategy Analytics.

Mr. Mawston says the news isn�t all bad though; Android still captured an 84-per-cent share of smartphones sold in the quarter, and the high-end Galaxy S6 was the bestselling device even though it retails for more than $700 (unlocked) in Canada.

Samsung remains the biggest seller of Android devices in the world, but recent reports said the company is cutting 10 per cent of staff at its headquarters after five months of falling sales wiped $40-billion (U.S.) off its market value since April. Its lesser rivals have struggled even more: HTC�s poor revenue has hammered its share price so badly that it is worth less than the cash it has on hand, and it was recently dropped from the Taiwan stock market�s index of the country�s top 50 largest companies.

�Cheap smartphones now have five-inch, HD displays, 4G and quad-core processors, so the gap in perceived value between devices like the OnePlus 2 and the Samsung Galaxy S6 is actually quite small,� said Daniel Gleeson, a senior analyst with IHS Global in London.

Mr. Gleason says some of the low-price competitors are honing their costs and features in the ultracompetitive Chinese market, but the likes of Huawei and ZTE make both smartphones and wireless networking equipment and have leveraged those relationships with Western carriers.

�Operators are looking to reduce their spend on smartphone subsidies, which is leading operators to replace LG and HTC with ZTE and Alcatel,� he says. �These brands can also offer operators the opportunity to push 4G into lower price segments, which can help the operators boost their data revenue.�

According to Mr. Mawston, half of the world�s Android smartphones shipped in the second quarter were �entry-tier and mid-tier, below $200 trade price (not retail). This is the �volume sweet spot� for Android smartphones worldwide today.�

That would seem to be a mismatch for BlackBerry. Even though Mr. Chen has cut deals with contract manufacturers Wistron and Foxconn to help slash costs of BlackBerry handsets, they are still not �cheap.�

BlackBerry�s average selling price has improved in recent quarters, after hitting a low of $182 in the third quarter of 2015 (a 28-per-cent drop from the first quarter�s $235). It rose back to $240 in the first quarter of fiscal 2016. That said, the company has only sold 1.1 million BlackBerry handsets so far in fiscal 2016, not quite on target for Mr. Chen�s expectation of selling 10 million devices.

BlackBerry�s $275 Leap phone, launched in April, is supposed to be the company�s budget offering. Meanwhile, the ZTE Maven is selling for $60 (U.S.), unlocked, in the United States. Huawei, known for its ultracheap phones, saw its average selling price hit $131 in the second quarter of 2015, up from $117 in 2014.

�BlackBerry has a trusted name, but that alone is not enough to win them much market share by simply switching to Android,� Mr. Gleeson said. �BlackBerry�s best opportunity with Android would be to capitalize on Android�s numerous security issues, which are a major problem for the enterprise market.�

Android owners were rattled this summer after two major security holes were revealed by researchers. The Stagefright and Certifi-gate vulnerabilities exposed hundreds of millions of devices to potential hacks, and revealed one of Android�s key weaknesses: update times. When a security fix is pushed to Android, manufacturers who have modified Android for their devices must then also update their version, and then wireless carrier partners must also approve the update for users on their networks.

�Because of Android�s problematic update chain it can take weeks to months� for those updates to get to users, said Avi Bashan, technology lead of mobile threat detection at security vendor Check Point, which publicized the Certifi-gate vulnerability. �Moreover, there are phones which will never receive an update.�

According to Mr. Bashan, owners of niche supersecure Android phones made by Blackphone were not exposed to those Certifi-gate flaws, which at least suggest it is possible to secure the operating system.

But there�s another common source of new mobile malware: Google�s Play Store itself. The millions of apps in Google�s marketplace are a big reason why BlackBerry would risk its security reputation with an Android phone, but even though the Play Store is one of the safer places to download Android apps, it has still fallen victim to scams and spying software disguised as legitimate apps.

Asked for comment on its Android plans, BlackBerry sent the following statement: �We don�t comment on rumours and speculation, but we remain committed to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, which provides security and productivity benefits that are unmatched.�

Battle of the Androids

LG
    The flagship G4 phone, released in April, has been blamed for Seoul-based LG�s slowing sales in 2015
    Specs: 5.5-inch 1,440 x 2,560 pixel screen, 16-megapixel camera, 3,000 milliampere hour battery, Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 Quad-core 1.44-gigahertz Cortex-A53, metal body
    Price: As high as $700 without a contract
    Carried by: All of Canada�s major wireless companies, including Bell, Telus, Videotron, Rogers, Wind

HTC
    The M9 is the Taiwanese company�s 2015 premium device. Analysts say it hasn�t sold well since its March release
    Specs: 5-inch 1,080 x 1,920 pixel screen, 20-MP camera, 2840 milliampere hour battery, Qualcomm MSM8994 Snapdragon 810 Quad-core 1.5-GHz Cortex-A53, metal body
    Price: $700 without a contract
    Carried by: All of Canada�s major wireless companies, including Bell, Telus, Videotron, Rogers, Wind

Motorola
    Motorola, now owned by China�s Lenovo, accounted for 5.9 million units shipped in the second quarter of 2015, 36 per cent of Lenovo smartphone sales. Motorola has a mix of models. Here�s its best cheap phone, the Moto G:
    Specs: 4.5-inch 720 x 1,280 pixel screen, 5-MP camera, 2,070 milliampere hour battery, Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 Quad-core 1.2-GHz Cortex-A7, plastic frame
    Price: $150 without a contract

Huawei
    The Chinese company�s Ascend Mate 2 is a 4G phone that is essentially a big-screen version of the Moto G with a better camera and battery.
    Specs: 6.1-inch 720 x 1,280 pixel screen, 13-MP camera, 4,050 milliampere hour battery, Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 Quad-core 1.2-GHz Cortex-A7, plastic frame
    Price: $300 without a contract
    Carried by: Wind

Alcatel
    The OneTouch Idol 3 sounds like it�s made in Europe, but China�s TCL Corp. bought the French tech company�s mobile phone arm in 2007. The result is some cheap phones with premium specs.
    Specs: 5.5-inch 1,920�1,080 pixel screen, 8-MP camera, 2,910 milliampere hour battery, Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 Quad-core 1.5-GHz Cortex-A53, plastic frame
    Price: $250 without a contract
    Carried by: Telus, Bell, Videotron (compatible with many other Canadian networks)

ZTE
    China�s ZTE has a confusing array of devices (the Grand X 2 for Bell, or very similar Grand X Plus for Fido) but they share one feature: great prices
    Specs: 5-inch 720x1,280 pixel screen, 8-MP camera, 2,480 milliampere hour battery, Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 Quad-core 1.2-GHz Cortex-A7, plastic frame
    Price: $150 without a contract
    Carried by: Bell, Virgin and Fido (some devices are compatible with other networks)

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, 3MIKE, morganplus8 and 7 others like this.
    09-14-15 05:04 PM
    For privacy and health concerns that's :the only pictures you'll get.
    The kid is alright and tested it all + survived !

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150915_000400.jpg
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150914_233530.jpg

Nite all !

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-14-15 at 06:35 PM.
    09-14-15 05:06 PM
    09-14-15 05:10 PM
    Could it then be that the good people at blogs.blackberry.com take some pointers from what we say and do, around this humble thread?

http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...l#post11915683

09-14-15 05:25 PM
    Could it then be that the good people at blogs.blackberry.com take some pointers from what we say and do, around this humble thread?

http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...l#post11915683

Why would they do such a thing!

OT: Zacks is late to the show!

http://theenterpriseleader.com/stock...qbbry-7/23122/

And this

BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) closed at $7.37 with trading volume of 11.35 million shares up its average volume of 6.34 million. The company fell -0.14% with market capitalization of 3.86 billion. The stock�s institutional ownership stands at 52%. During the year, the lowest price at which share is traded was $6.41 and hit the highest price at $12.63.

BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) will be reporting results for the q2 of fiscal 2016 on September 25, 2015. A conference call and live webcast will be held starting at 8 am ET, which can be accessed by dialing 1-888-428-9507 or by logging on at http://ca.blackberry.com/company/investors/events.html.

A replay of the conference call will also be accessible at about 10 am ET by dialing 1-647-436-0148 and entering pass code 3790672# or by clicking the link above. This replay will be accessible until 10 am ET October 11, 2015.
    Corbu, 3MIKE, awindsr and 4 others like this.
    09-14-15 06:02 PM
    Nice way of saying "most of our phones are purchased by Enterprises who are too **** cheap to buy a new phone every two years so we have to wait an extra year and hope (no, PRAY) they buy from us again. The last time they bought our phones, it was the Bold 9900. They held on tonight those so tight! We've since upgraded everything about our phone, especially the OS! And all our finest customers can think about is Android! Yessiree, our customers love us!"

I've said it before, so I'll say it again, BlackBerry has the worst customers EVER!

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, 3MIKE and rarsen like this.
    09-14-15 07:41 PM
    Nice way of saying "most of our phones are purchased by Enterprises who are too **** cheap to buy a new phone every two years so we have to wait an extra year and hope (no, PRAY) they buy from us again. The last time they bought our phones, it was the Bold 9900. They held on tonight those so tight! We've since upgraded everything about our phone, especially the OS! And all our finest customers can think about is Android! Yessiree, our customers love us!"

I've said it before, so I'll say it again, BlackBerry has the worst customers EVER!

Posted via CB10
    In my case, I need a phone for communication, pandora, a Web browser and a few on things. What do I need to upgrade every two years for?

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-14-15 08:36 PM
    Hey Guys...
    09-14-15 08:39 PM
    Hey Guys...
    Welcome back! You haven't aged a bit! LOL
    09-14-15 08:43 PM
    Hey Guys...
    And I thought Lenny posting was an anomaly.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 08:48 PM
    It's been a while, been going through some life changing stuff that kept me away from investing though I've been lurking on here on and off. Just wanted to drop in and say hi. Been slowly buying up BB shares over the last few months and if Venice is "all that" will be preordering it as soon as available..
    09-14-15 08:56 PM
    We hit $7.50 AH. What new game is this? Just saw it and was looking for any news. Usually we get a few shares to knock it down some. Hmm...

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 09:40 PM
    We hit $7.50 AH. What new game is this? Just saw it and was looking for any news. Usually we get a few shares to knock it down some. Hmm...

Posted via CB10
    Might be this little piece from Zacks

BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY) has received a top Growth Style score from Zack’s Research. The growth score is based on company financials as well as the company’s prospects for future growth. The score is a result of analysis of various aspects of the Balance Sheet, Cash Flow Statement and Income Statement. Stocks that are given a high growth score tend to have the characteristics resulting in market outperformance.

Top Growth Pick: BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)
    CDM76, rarsen and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-14-15 09:50 PM
    It's been a while, been going through some life changing stuff that kept me away from investing though I've been lurking on here on and off. Just wanted to drop in and say hi. Been slowly buying up BB shares over the last few months and if Venice is "all that" will be preordering it as soon as available..
    I am guessing that with you and CJ poking in, it may be enough to lure the other old-school blokes back....
    morganplus8 and 3MIKE like this.
    09-14-15 10:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry builds good phones and people love them, that's the way I see it. Those who change every year or two, really didn't love what they had!
    09-14-15 10:18 PM
    BlackBerry builds good phones and people love them, that's the way I see it. Those who change every year or two, really didn't love what they had!
    That's the rub. Enterprises HAVEN'T been upgrading when BlackBerry needed them to upgrade most. Their users were looking at a BlackBerry experience that never changed, despite BlackBerry having a new OS.

Let's face it. In order to justify their valuations, Samsung and Apple need their customers to update frequently. Samsung dropped tens of billions of dollars in valuation because customers didn't upgrade in enough numbers. Apple is going to start financing customer upgrades. Why? Because carriers are ending subsidies. They need people to upgrade.

BlackBerry needs their users to simply upgrade IN SIGNIFICANT NUMBERS and not just hold onto what they have, or worse, jump ship. Not enough people/enterprises have upgraded in the last two years, for whatever reason. Again, I'm not talking about one or two people, I'm talking in significant numbers.

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE, Elephant_Canyon and rarsen like this.
    09-14-15 10:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think this is a pretty simplistic, negative view of BlackBerry's Enterprise customers. Most provide a phone for basic communication in a secure environment, and for them there's no justification for the expense of an upgrade, when it offers no benefit. Many utilize the phone also as a Hotspot, for mobile employees who require a PC to accomplish their work. The phone they have is good enough there too. For those who have mobile applications they need to access, unfortunately BlackBerry as we know all too well falls short delivering, and finding developers capable of creating made for BlackBerry apps is getting difficult at best. BES is primarily a service, and hardware sales are a small part of the puzzle.

If they produced the type of phone the masses desire, maybe it would be a bigger piece, and help expand it, but that dang app gap would still be a elephant in the room that cannot be ignored.

One other item to consider is the looming uncertainty, brought to a head when Heins hung the for sale sign. It pushed many to look elsewhere for solutions, and while the belief BlackBerry was a dead platform walking started long before, that was a jump the shark moment they've never recovered from.

As much as I'd like to put the past behind, and focus my dispersions (I kid... sorta ) on the future, the past is inescapable dagnabit.
    09-14-15 10:54 PM
    That's the rub. Enterprises HAVEN'T been upgrading when BlackBerry needed them to upgrade most. Their users were looking at a BlackBerry experience that never changed, despite BlackBerry having a new OS.

Let's face it. In order to justify their valuations, Samsung and Apple need their customers to update frequently. Samsung dropped tens of billions of dollars in valuation because customers didn't upgrade in enough numbers. Apple is going to start financing customer upgrades. Why? Because carriers are ending subsidies. They need people to upgrade.

BlackBerry needs their users to simply upgrade IN SIGNIFICANT NUMBERS and not just hold onto what they have, or worse, jump ship. Not enough people/enterprises have upgraded in the last two years, for whatever reason. Again, I'm not talking about one or two people, I'm talking in significant numbers.

Posted via CB10
    I find your view a bit backwards. Enterprise customers don't exist to support BlackBerry. BlackBerry exists to support them.
    CDM76, Superfly_FR and awindsr like this.
    09-14-15 10:59 PM
    Might be this little piece from Zacks

BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY) has received a top Growth Style score from Zack�s Research. The growth score is based on company financials as well as the company�s prospects for future growth. The score is a result of analysis of various aspects of the Balance Sheet, Cash Flow Statement and Income Statement. Stocks that are given a high growth score tend to have the characteristics resulting in market outperformance.

Top Growth Pick: BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)
    That article was out while the market was open and I believe we had the usual morning dip, popped up, then went a few cents down to close at $7.36. I was interested as I saw the $7.50 mark and over as significant.

Reading stocktwits and sorting through the rubbish there it seems there was a small trade at $7.50 shooting the price up. Just seems odd as we are so used to the small knock the stock down trades.

Just unlike bbry. Figured I'd give this a mention. Wonder what tomorrow will bring.

Posted via CB10
    awindsr likes this.
    09-14-15 11:23 PM
    Reuters criticizes Cisco on security.
    Cisco why pay royalties. Just buy 20% of BlackBerry's float for a deal. Get some seats on the board and patents, BlackBerry gets investor and customer confidence.‎ Everyone wins!*‎

Sent*from*my*BlackBerry*10*smartphone.
    morganplus8, Mr BBRY and rarsen like this.
    09-15-15 03:15 AM

Posted via CB10
    Durability and reliability - besides the obvious security - is what made BlackBerry so popular in enterprises where fleet rotations were/are on a 2-3 years scale (at best). The BYOD trend made this somehow irrelevant as the users now decide when they want to renew their own device.
    But we all know the BYOD trend may not last, due to security, fragmentation and costs (to keep short) and the CYOD (Choose your own device) will probably be [one of ] the [dominant] norm of the future.

In this CYOD context, large enterprises will select and buy/rent devices by large numbers and there's no doubt this will bring attention to the lifetime parameter.

So, I don't believe this is anyhow a negative perspective for BB10 devices.
    Interesting to note that for (rumored) Android device and known mandatory HW upgrades for each major OS release, this will not be relevant though.
    09-15-15 04:39 AM
    CJ, BTW, Lenny ...
    hey ! glad you're back here guys !

Call-up the historicals !
    All aboard !
    09-15-15 04:42 AM
    Durability and reliability - besides the obvious security - is what made BlackBerry so popular in enterprises where fleet rotations were/are on a 2-3 years scale (at best). The BYOD trend made this somehow irrelevant as the users now decide when they want to renew their own device.
    But we all know the BYOD trend may not last, due to security, fragmentation and costs (to keep short) and the CYOD (Choose your own device) will probably be [one of ] the [dominant] norm of the future.

In this CYOD context, large enterprises will select and buy/rent devices by large numbers and there's no doubt this will bring attention to the lifetime parameter.

So, I don't believe this is anyhow a negative perspective for BB10 devices.
    Interesting to note that for (rumored) Android device and known mandatory HW upgrades for each major OS release, this will not be relevant though.
    Isn't BES12 further enabling the viability of BYOD?
    awindsr likes this.
    09-15-15 05:59 AM
113,251 ... 35503551355235533554 ...