View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    09-10-15 07:38 AM
    This is mind boggling stuff bbjdog, I would hire an algorithm architect tomorrow if I could !
    Eye opening stuff. Now I know why my orders don't get filled on time. Lol
    Corbu, 3MIKE, morganplus8 and 1 others like this.
    09-10-15 07:47 AM
    I've been in Greece on holiday so completely out of touch - besides the Good Technology move anything else interesting happening regarding $BBRY ?
    09-10-15 08:17 AM
    I was linked to this, and thought I would share it since we are discussing BlackBerry and their jump into the 'IoT'.

This guy is legit, but some think he is a quack. Interesting that in an interview fairly recently, he mentioned hacking a cars breaking system. This was long before the current news that we have heard about.

I hope BlackBerry is ready for the challenge ahead.
    Goes to show that on one side you have these entities who want to be able to spy on everyone and the other those who wants privacy.
    And the ones who want privacy or security are the ones who want to know everything for security reasons.
    Hence the double edge sword !!

I'm confident JC will be able to manage this !
    09-10-15 09:03 AM
    Looking in the mirror ...
    AtHoc Partners with Microsoft to Present at Global Smart Cities Event
    2015 Asia Pacific Cities Summit and Mayors’ Forum Showcases New Models for Smarter, Safer, Connected Cities

SAN MATEO, Calif. – July 7, 2015 – AtHoc, Inc., the leader in networked crisis communications, today announced that as a Microsoft CityNext partner it has joined with Microsoft to participate in the 2015 Asia Pacific Cities Summit & Mayors’ Forum to be held in Brisbane, Australia July 5-8.

CityNext is a major Microsoft initiative that brings together the partners and vision essential to create smarter, technology-enhanced urban environments. To showcase their vision of a safe, smart, connected city at the Asia Pacific Cities Summit, Microsoft selected AtHoc, as one of three of their over 300 CityNext partners, to demonstrate key technologies cities can deploy today to realize Smart City goals.

AtHoc will showcase several innovative solutions to achieve a connected safe city. For example, Contra Costa County, California--home to over one million citizens--uses AtHoc technology to connect citizens, first responders, community organizations and several large high-risk facilities. The county has deployed a flexible crisis notification system connecting the community, as any natural or man-made emergency situation develops. “We’ve taken a Smart City approach by partnering with AtHoc to build a fully integrated warning system,” said Heather Tiernan, Community Warning System Manager for the county. “Partnering with industry and having the system provided by AtHoc allows the community to feel safe during various incidents.”

“The city of the future is all about information – sharing it, analyzing it for better decision-making, and of course using it to keep people safe,” said Adrian Szwarcburg, Director of AtHoc Alliances and Channel Sales. “We’re proud to be a part of the Asia Pacific Cities Summit and contribute to the vision of smart, connected safer communities.”
    So technically, BlackBerry and Microsoft ARE partners ...

P.S : was just before the AtHoc acquisition announcement, but I'm pretty sure MSFT couldn't ignore this.
    09-10-15 10:36 AM
    How many BB10 devices are we currently selling per month or quarter? I think it's ~ 1M devices per quarter. So, 350,000 devices a month.
    I think with Android, we can easily do 1M devices a month, 3M a quarter or 12M a year.

I think that's reasonable and easy when you consider that just one high-end Android device sells in excess of 50M (I think Galaxy S6 sold over 50M devices). Not even counting sales of LG, Nexus, HTC and other flagship devices. So, even a few percentage of Android high-end device market is huge.

So, at $200 profit per device, 12M devices a year, we are talking about $2.4 billion in PROFIT!
    When I say 12M devices, I don't mean just the Slider. I am sure they'll release an upgrade to the Slider or different form factor (Passport Android maybe) midyear or something to keep sales going. I just mean 12M BB Android devices at about $200 profit per device.
    09-10-15 12:55 PM
    How many BB10 devices are we currently selling per month or quarter? I think it's ~ 1M devices per quarter. So, 350,000 devices a month.
    I think with Android, we can easily do 1M devices a month, 3M a quarter or 12M a year.

I think that's reasonable and easy when you consider that just one high-end Android device sells in excess of 50M (I think Galaxy S6 sold over 50M devices. Not even counting sales of LG, Nexus, HTC and other flagship devices.

So, at $200 profit per device, 12M devices a year, we are talking about $2.4 billion in PROFIT!
    When I say 12M devices, I don't mean just the Slider. I am sure they'll release an upgrade to the Slider or different form factor (Passport Android maybe) midyear or something to keep sales going. I just mean 12M BB Android devices at about $200 profit per device.
    I remember doing these calculations right before BB10 launched.. it's definitely easy to get carried away :-) I'd be happy if the Android slider alone would match BB10 sales. I for one am not convinced JC would launch an all-touch Android ; for BB10 he did launch the Leap because they needed a low-cost all-touch device but the Android market is flooded with High/Mid/Low-end devices right now. Besides, most BB10 users are still waiting for an upgrade from their Z10/30... and that's even an uncertainty at this point. IMHO of course

Edit: which manufacturer still makes 200 dollar in profit per handset nowadays?

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 01:13 PM
    ... I just mean 12M BB Android devices at about $200 profit per device...
    If it's gotta be speculation, let me help you a bit ;-) From what I've learned or read through the forum and over the internet, the cost to produce a smartphone like the Venice should be around 300-350$, given that just the components should cost around 250-300$(the cost obviously rely on the quantity produced). So that, making a profit of around 200/device should make BlackBerry sell it for around 500-550$ which is WOW. I am not taking into consideration costs of R&D, marketing and so on..Still, I believe that basing my calculations on these speculated info, we can expect the slider to come out at around 650$ at launch, which is pretty good imho ;-) Something around 6-8M devices/year target seems plausible if the device will receive good reviews and a bit of advertising.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 01:17 PM
    Way OT:

But had to post considering it is coming from a friend...

09-10-15 01:21 PM
    09-10-15 01:27 PM
    BlackBerry and Good Technology Merger: The Big Advantage

Rob Enderle

BlackBerry and Good Technology announced an unusual type of merger this week. BlackBerry is evolving into a software/services company and it has increasingly been fighting with Good Technology, which is the same space. Between the companies, there is a lot of product overlap, but the resources both firms were spending on hurting the other were doing more damage than good to both. As a result, unlike most acquisitions which try to correct a product line or services problem, this one is designed to eliminate painful competition for them both.

Let’s talk about this merger.

The Flavors of Mergers

Mergers come in a number of flavors. The most common and the most difficult to pull off is the merger to gain the full value of the acquired company. These generally fail because the acquiring firm fails to identify and protect the core assets it has just taken over. Dell does this kind of merger best, because it took a process developed at IBM and enhanced it. This process has allowed each acquisition that Dell made after the process was implemented to exceed expectations by effectively combining the two firms’ resources while keeping the acquired firm intact.

The easiest type of merger is the acquisition of customers, employees and technology. This is because the company knows what it is getting because it specifically selects the elements it wants and avoids layoffs and other activities that can result in disloyal employees. In a merger of this type, a business selects the employees it wants and can eliminate at the start of the merger any “baggage” the firm has accumulated. This helps expedite the integration of the new assets, because none of the selling firm’s culture or intrinsic problems—outside of issues with the products or employees that were acquired—are brought into the buying firm. BMC has used this tool lately; most often it pulls good people and technology out of otherwise troubled firms.

The last type of merger I will discuss is when a firm buys another to eliminate competition. We saw this with Oracle and PeopleSoft and now with BlackBerry and Good Technology. This type of merger is relatively easy, because the primary goal isn’t synergy or pooling resources, it is eliminating the competitor, thus making any upcoming products and people that can be used a bonus. It turns out that BlackBerry can actually use a number of products and people from Good, which should strengthen it as the acquiring firm over time, because it has removed the distraction of fighting its competitor.

BlackBerry Evolved

Acquiring Good Technology enhances BlackBerry’s software status and, as noted, removes a distracting bit of competition. The end result will be stronger productivity, a greater management product portfolio, enhanced offensive and defensive patent protection in the space and a future example that the company is aggressively investing in software while it is pulling back from hardware. In short, this deal gives BlackBerry a steady platform from which to fight and a more robust set of messages to fight with.

Wrapping Up

BlackBerry and Good Technology are attempting one of the easiest mergers to accomplish—competition elimination. But while this last is the easiest to execute on paper, because is between two hostile entities, it is far harder to get done. The Oracle People soft acquisition showcased just how painful this can be. In the case of BlackBerry and Good Technology, though, it appears that both CEOs realized that the fight, should it continue, would make recovery far more difficult, and so both moved to do what is actually best for both firms in terms of pooling resources. What I find interesting here, is that the CEOs from BlackBerry and Good Technology put aside their differences to do what was best for both firms. That doesn’t happen very often, which makes this move even more worth watching, because the customers, Good employee and investors will all get a lot better of an outcome than if either company had put up a fight.
    09-10-15 01:57 PM
    09-10-15 01:59 PM
    I remember doing these calculations right before BB10 launched.. it's definitely easy to get carried away :-) I'd be happy if the Android slider alone would match BB10 sales. I for one am not convinced JC would launch an all-touch Android ; for BB10 he did launch the Leap because they needed a low-cost all-touch device but the Android market is flooded with High/Mid/Low-end devices right now. Besides, most BB10 users are still waiting for an upgrade from their Z10/30... and that's even an uncertainty at this point. IMHO of course

Edit: which manufacturer still makes 200 dollar in profit per handset nowadays?

Posted via CB10
    I taught BlackBerry was losing $200 per handset.....

While I think Chen's one time estimate for 10 Million units is outdated today, and that their possible the break-even point could be as low as 3 or 4 million units a year (with the hardware division basically outsourced and no need for further BB10 development).

I think they'll be doing good to stabilize sales in the short term. I don't see Chen risking too much of his cash on the type of Marketing that most big selling Android Devices get.... at least not right away. Slow and steady might be the smarter move.
    09-10-15 02:39 PM
    I taught BlackBerry was losing $200 per handset.....
    RE: BB10, Incorrect

morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    09-10-15 02:48 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png

CU2morrow gang ! Have a nice evening !
    SF
    Corbu, 3MIKE and morganplus8 like this.
    09-10-15 02:55 PM
    Big change in shorts:

8/31/2015 92,148,725
    8/14/2015 102,925,437
    09-10-15 03:14 PM
    09-10-15 03:29 PM
    OT:

Morgan, if ever you have a minute and feel like doing so, I wouldn't mind picking your brain on the latest developments at PSDV (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited...014746957.html) and getting your feeling on our other old favorite, HALO, at the level where it actually is... Would seem attractive to me, but what do I know... Many thanks!

rarsen, morganplus8, CDM76 and 2 others like this.
    09-10-15 03:31 PM
    OT:

Morgan, if ever you have a minute and feel like doing so, I wouldn't mind picking your brain on the latest developments at PSDV (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/edited...014746957.html) and getting your feeling on our other old favorite, HALO, at the level where it actually is... Would seem attractive to me, but what do I know... Many thanks!

Sure Corbu!!

Up until now, PSDV has based its business model on a niche market for eye care, but this statement is telling:

"Our pre-clinical studies are progressing well. We anticipate an IND will be filed for our Duraset product for knee osteoarthritis shortly through our collaboration with Hospital for Special Surgery at America's leading orthopedic hospital. We're very pleased with our recent progress on Tethadur researcher for bilateral delivery and Durasert for AMD. ILUVIEN, our lead license product, has been approved by the FDA, was launched in the US in February, and is now gaining traction."

As I'm sure many of you know, knee osteoarthritis is a major problem worldwide and PDSV thinks they can deliver a time released dosage that lasts for up to 6 months. As it is now, the majority of patients see their doctor for injections as soon as 2 weeks. My father, who is a Doctor, receives his injection every week. So this is huge potential in a broad market for a technology that exists for PSDV.

The quarter was excellent, their revenues would be looking better if they weren't tied to Net Profits so much, the startup costs for the US alone are large for Ilivien. I think those numbers will look much better in the next quarter. The report itself is expected and solid, I think the stock will catch the next Biotech cycle higher later this Fall. The IBB Index has reclaimed its 200-dma and will now rally towards the 50-dma. This was a very positive year and I believe things will ramp up over the next 6 - 8 months as their Phase III interim results move forward.

As you know, HALO is one of those rare stocks, it is firing on all cylinders now and will rally along with the IBB Index in the months ahead. Again, I think the DOW is bottoming out now and we will see a decent rally in all stocks in the weeks ahead. The best stocks will start to move first and HALO is definitely one of those.

As for BBRY, it too is basing out now and is only pennies away from its 50-dma at $ 7.58/shr and falling each day. When we close above that number, we are likely to see a solid recovery in the price of the stock. All of these stocks are held by my family and we add to the position all the time.
    Corbu, CDM76, W Hoa and 21 others like this.
    09-10-15 03:54 PM
    Man... You are the best, Morgan. Much obliged!
    jxnb, CDM76, lech31 and 11 others like this.
    09-10-15 03:55 PM
    Man... You are the best, Morgan. Much obliged!
    Couldn't have said it better. Thanks again Morgan. Your input and insight is invaluable.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, theRock1975, 3MIKE and 5 others like this.
    09-10-15 04:14 PM
    09-10-15 04:48 PM
    Wow! Today is a day of good news.

http://crackberry.com/watchdox-black...ty-2015-awards

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/09/...n-ctia-awards/

Edit: Uber on Passport and Classic

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/09/...t-and-classic/
    Last edited by bbjdog; 09-10-15 at 07:45 PM.
    morganplus8, Corbu, 3MIKE and 4 others like this.
    09-10-15 05:56 PM
    Wow! Today is a day of good news.
    Keep them coming my friend... Keep them coming! Thanks!
    09-10-15 08:38 PM
    Keep them coming my friend... Keep them coming! Thanks!
    Hey I'm not you friend anymore! I waited a whole month for that case of beer, that never came. Lol

My pleasure Corbu!
    morganplus8, 3MIKE, Corbu and 3 others like this.
    09-10-15 09:07 PM
113,256 ... 35473548354935503551 ...