Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OT: but nice commercial by IBM

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...rcial-1037464/
    3MIKE, Corbu, 3_M4N and 1 others like this.
    09-08-15 07:57 PM
    Secrets of a former high speed trader

Education video, possibly the first touch screen (1983) around the 12 minute mark.

Last edited by bbjdog; 09-08-15 at 08:49 PM.
    09-08-15 08:21 PM
    BlackBerry: Good Technology Deal Could Change The Game http://m.seekingalpha.com/article/3495226?source=ansh $BBRY

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-08-15 11:10 PM
    OT : stock market related

http://www.businessinsider.com/stock...nothing-2015-9

"Every day in the stock market has started to become "all or nothing": Either everything is good, or everything is bad."

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 08:07 AM
    MOBL downgraded at GS to neutral with a price tgt of $4.50

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kadakn01; 09-09-15 at 09:01 AM.
    09-09-15 08:43 AM
    I knew I covered my short too soon! But $4.50 still seems high for MOBL. They're going to have a cash crunch in less than a year at their current burn rate.
    09-09-15 09:07 AM
    Port of Houston Authority Selects AtHoc Networked Crisis Communication

One of the Nation's Busiest Ports Will Use AtHoc Connect(TM) to Achieve Real Time Interoperable Communication for More Than 150 Commercial and Federal Partners

SAN MATEO, CA--(Marketwired - September 09, 2015) - AtHoc, Inc., the leader in networked crisis communication, today announced that the Port of Houston Authority (the Port Authority) selected AtHoc to improve secure communication and collaboration during crises and critical business situations to port employees and across port tenant organizations.

Tweet This: Port of Houston Authority selects AtHoc Networked Crisis Communication: https://www.athoc.com/

The Port of Houston is consistently ranked as one of the busiest in the United States in imports, exports and total tonnage. Responsible for $178 billion of economic impact, the Port is made up of the public terminals managed by PHA and the 150+ industrial companies along the Houston Ship Channel. As a result of this immense scope of activity, any ship channel closure or incident can have significant impact on the regional economy.

In an emergency, the Port Authority faces the daunting challenge of rapidly alerting employees, dock workers, truck drivers and Port Authority tenants in a timely manner. Additionally, the Port Authority must coordinate with federal, state and other local agencies to facilitate mitigation efforts during emergencies such as chemical spill cleanups or marine fires -- a significant concern given that the Houston area's petrochemical complex is one of the largest in the world.

The goal of the AtHoc implementation is to improve safety and enhance the Port Authority's day-to-day operations throughout its terminals. With AtHoc the Port Authority will be able to securely exchange alerts, share multi-media content and geographical-based information within the PHA employee base or with other organizations in its ecosystem.

The Port Authority's vision is to use AtHoc Connect to create a 'Connected Community' around the Port that is able to efficiently and securely collaborate in times of crisis. AtHoc Connect enables the Port Authority's team to communicate and collaborate with other organizations and emergency responders such as the United States Coast Guard (USCG) or the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) during a crisis situation. The Port Authority has a large organization that needs to communicate with internal employees, dozens of other companies, federal agencies and local emergency responders. AtHoc looks forward to building a model of innovation for others based on this vision.

"This is a big step forward for safety and security. During an incident, the ability to transmit and receive up-to-the-minute intelligence across organizations is crucial," said Rear Admiral Robert E. Day Jr. (Ret.), former CIO of the U.S. Coast Guard & Commander of Coast Guard Cyber Command and a member of AtHoc's Strategic Advisory Board. "Emergency responders value any innovation that increases the shared ability to communicate with civilian agencies and coordinate response efforts."

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 09:20 AM
    Hi gang !

FWIW (and it's not that much) we took $0.25 since yesterday (Nasdaq site).
    Hey, I take any positive news, shouldn't I ?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png

P.S: now on Evangelism duty ... May lead to a new company ... BES powered, of course !
    morganplus8, Corbu, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    09-09-15 10:05 AM
    09-09-15 10:16 AM
    Thanks everyone...really good to see the discussions back on point...this is what we all benefit from! Corbu, M+8, SF, and everyone else - round of ales on me!

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 10:38 AM
    Hey guys,

Just a quick drive-by, as work is fogging my Crackberry lense lately:

Title : Hacking Review How to Stop Hackers. Stop cyber Attacks. Enigma
    Author : David Chalk
    Video url :

This guy has a few interesting points. He has been warning about what we are seeing lately for many years.

Does anyone know how Canada's other prized company went out? Interesting blog:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/nortel-...most-10-years/

PS - Anyone here using BES on a very small scale? I heard that BlackBerry has a package that covers micro business. Any link would be appreciated.

Cheers fellas.
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 09-09-15 at 11:29 AM.
    Corbu, sidhuk, Mr BBRY and 4 others like this.
    09-09-15 11:13 AM
    PS - Anyone here using BES on a very small scale? I heard that BlackBerry has a package that covers micro business. Any link would be appreciated.
    Haven't heard a thing about such a package. Didn't find a reference to anything on BlackBerry's website either. But then again $23/year/license for on-premises BES12 silver license isn't going to break the bank either.

I'm waiting to hear that licensing via carrier billing has finally rolled out in the US. That will allow companies to pay their BES license on a monthly basis and you supposedly could add/remove licenses on the fly every month. Also makes it easier to justify not capitalizing the licenses as they are month to month.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 12:16 PM
    FWIW, for Maynard Um's comment (indeed, it's "Um" and not "Ulm"... ):
    http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/09/bla...out-candidate/

BlackBerry Ltd No Longer A Buyout Candidate

BlackBerry Ltd has long been seen as a buyout target. Despite CEO John Chen on many occasions denying the possibility, still many had doubts. However, the firm's latest move sends a clear signal that is it better off on its own, believes Wells Fargo & Co analyst Maynard Ulm.

Good Technology a good fit for BlackBerry

A few days back, BlackBerry announced the acquisition of Good Technology for around $400 million. The deal, according to Ulm, is a decent one, and sort of confirms the Canadian firm's intentions of creating its own path rather than being acquired. The acquisition of Good highlights the firm's clear focus on software, and Ulm believes the acquisition will help BlackBerry in its turnaround efforts.

Good Technology’s acquisition serves multiple purposes for BlackBerry. The deal will give BlackBerry a “stronger foothold” among the Android and iOS devices, boost the company’s Internet of Things efforts, and will also benefit from “infrastructure and technology perspective,” the analyst noted.

Following the acquisition, a “potential sale of the company is less likely in the near term, we believe BlackBerry will likely look at other strategic alternatives — further restructuring, potential divestitures, aggressively target multi-platform strategy,” Ulm noted.
    09-09-15 01:55 PM
    Hey guys,

Cheers fellas.
    http://el.blackberry.com/cloud
    All you need is here, I'd bet !
    No hardware, no engineer, pay as you use...

Cheers fellow !

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 02:54 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150909_130045.png

Lots of Athoc announcements.

From rapid mobile bbmc C00040F5B

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 03:01 PM
    Any idea why the sudden 2+% drop post-market with high volume (2.6 M shares)?
    09-09-15 03:07 PM
    Any idea why the sudden 2+% drop post-market with high volume (2.6 M shares)?
    Not seeing anything like that, there is one small block in AH that went through at $ 7.35/shr at 4:10 PM which is a settlement trade, that's it. Post something if you see it, thanks.
    Corbu, rarsen and JLagoon like this.
    09-09-15 04:09 PM
    Not seeing anything like that, there is one small block in AH that went through at $ 7.35/shr at 4:10 PM which is a settlement trade, that's it. Post something if you see it, thanks.
    I received an email alert from QuesTrade
    A smart alert for BB.TO was triggered
    (post-market)
    September 09, 2015 at 04:00 PM EST

Traded above
    high volume
    rarsen likes this.
    09-09-15 04:25 PM
    Secrets of a former high speed trader

Education video, possibly the first touch screen (1983) around the 12 minute mark.

This is mind boggling stuff bbjdog, I would hire an algorithm architect tomorrow if I could !
    Corbu and sidhuk like this.
    09-09-15 05:38 PM
    I received an email alert from QuesTrade
    A smart alert for BB.TO was triggered
    (post-market)
    September 09, 2015 at 04:00 PM EST

Traded above
    high volume

There are only two small block trades on BB.TO today. No other site is reporting a trade like that. It looks like the end of day volume. Send them a request for more details. GL
    Corbu, sidhuk, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    09-09-15 05:45 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150909_130045.png 
Views:	2018 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	370590

Lots of Athoc announcements.

From rapid mobile bbmc C00040F5B

Posted via CB10
    I wonder how many experts doubt that BlackBerry will meet the 500M goal now. Love to peek into their office to see them thrashing about with every BlackBerry announcement.

We would no doubt be moving up right now if the market wasn't so stale.
    3MIKE, Corbu, morganplus8 and 4 others like this.
    09-09-15 07:47 PM
    Not one comment today about the $99 pencil?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150909_204819_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, ibpluto, wojciechp and 11 others like this.
    09-09-15 07:52 PM
    I was linked to this, and thought I would share it since we are discussing BlackBerry and their jump into the 'IoT'.

This guy is legit, but some think he is a quack. Interesting that in an interview fairly recently, he mentioned hacking a cars breaking system. This was long before the current news that we have heard about.

I hope BlackBerry is ready for the challenge ahead.
    09-10-15 12:04 AM
    Merrill Lynch's POV

Merrill Lynch

Tal Liani / Research Analyst

BlackBerry

Good acquisition complements the portfolio

Maintain Rating: UNDERPERFORM | PO: 6.00 USD | Price: 9.20 USD

Blackberry to buy Good Technology
    Blackberry announced last week it entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Good Technology for $425mn in cash. The deal is expected to close in November and be earnings and cash flow accretive after realizing cost synergies in the first year. Management also anticipates about $160mn in GAAP revenues from Good in the first year, including a write-down of certain deferred revenues. At a high level, we favor the acquisition as it helps make Blackberry the leading company for secure mobile access, supporting all platforms and many applications. On the negative side, we highlight integration risks and the ongoing pressures on revenues from the portfolio transition and decline in service revenues.

What we like: consolidation in EMM; transition to software
    Acquiring Good Technology helps consolidate the intensely competitive enterprise mobility management (EMM) space, now dominated by vendors such as AirWatch (VMware), MobileIron, Citrix, Blackberry, Good, and others. The combined company would offer best-in-class hardware encryption with multi-platform support and containerization technology that together could enable the most robust secure access on any platform and application. The acquisition also rebuilds Blackberry’s footprint with key customers, such as financial institutions, where Good has a presence with 100% of Fortune 100 commercial banks, according to Good’s filings.

Risks: difficult journey ahead
    The merger looks good on paper, but it is not without risks. On a standalone basis, Blackberry continues to struggle to sell devices, which make up 40% of its current revenues. Its service revenues continue to decline 15% QoQ, and Good Technology revenues are not significant enough to mask these trends. The company needs to work on merging the Network Operation Centers (NOCs), merge the platforms, and unify the sales/marketing efforts. While we believe these steps will create long-term benefits, they should also pose short-term threats. We maintain our Underperform rating and $6 PO.

Price objective basis & risk
    Our $6.00 PO is based on roughly 1.7x P/S our FY16E Sales. This multiple is in line with the one accorded to similarly challenged handset companies. Upside risks to our price objective: 1) Success of new product launches, 2) Restructuring efforts, including any potential change to management strategy, 3) Acquisition. Downside risks to our PO: 1) Slowdown in smartphone market due to macroeconomic weakness, 2) Margin pressure from increasing lower priced hardware sales, 3) Competitive risks from Apple, Google (Android), Nokia, Samsung and HTC, 4) Increased investment required to support new products, and 5) Security breach and reputational risk.
    CDM76, morganplus8, jxnb and 8 others like this.
    09-10-15 07:17 AM
    Brian Colello / Morningstar

We Approve of BlackBerry's 'Good' Deal; Maintaining $9 Fair Value Estimate

Brian Colello, CPA, Analyst, 04 September 2015

Analyst Note

We will maintain our $9 fair value estimate and no-moat rating for BlackBerry after the firm announced its acquisition of Good Technology for $425 million in cash. We continue to view BlackBerry as modestly undervalued, but we maintain our very high uncertainty rating for this volatile stock as the company undergoes its transition to an enterprise software firm.

We like the deal and view it as a good strategic fit for BlackBerry, as Good was one of the firm's main competitors in the enterprise mobility management software space. Good, with its customer base of 6,200 organizations, has been a leader in EMM for quite some time, as evidenced by Gartner's rating of Good as a "Leader" in its magic quadrant for EMM in June 2015 (versus a "Niche Player" rating for BlackBerry). We anticipate that the combination will lead to more advanced products and a growing customer base over time. Good is particularly well positioned as an EMM provider on Apple's iOS platform, whereas BlackBerry appears to have had some challenges in deploying its software on other operating systems. Looking at vertical customers, Good appears to be well positioned with enterprise customers in defense, while BlackBerry's strength in government deployments could lead to cross-selling opportunities for Good's products.

BlackBerry expects the deal to close in its fiscal third quarter (ending in November), and we're pleased to see that the deal will be accretive to earnings and cash flow in year one. BlackBerry expects to receive $160 million in GAAP revenue in the deal's first year, as well as significant operating expense synergies upon closing.

Our main concern about this deal stems from the health of both EMM businesses. Good was reportedly valued at $1 billion by VentureBeat as recently as December 2014, so Good's sale price was surprisingly low to us.
    http://www.financialwisdomworks.com/...ar-bbry/20062/
    09-10-15 07:23 AM
113,250 ... 35463547354835493550 ...