Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    08-31-15 11:15 AM
    OT from the Related Technologies and Security files:

The Internet of Things is a safety issue, and therefore a business risk | ZDNet

"... for the digital business, data is no longer just a competitive differentiator, or the basis for better decision-making. One of the key concepts of information security is the CIA triad: An organization's information security processes must preserve the data's confidentiality, integrity, and availability. Gartner now considers the safety aspect to be so important that they've expanded the triad, adding safety as a fourth security goal.
    When the digital surface increases, the threat surface to protect it increases. 'What is the concept of trust now in the supply chain relationship when you have this level of complexity evolving?' Perkins noted that we've already had cases where some customers refuse to buy equipment from "certain suppliers of telecommunications equipment", because of the equipment's source. Well, the digital explosion of the Internet of Things will only increase those doubts."
    Corbu, Mr BBRY, La Emperor and 5 others like this.
    08-31-15 11:21 AM

Using Samsung Pay in the USA: Magnetic secure transmission removes merchant barriers | ZDNet

It is being done with some help from BB software?
    08-31-15 11:31 AM
    +2.67 on Tse. Up on no news
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    08-31-15 11:38 AM
    +2.67 on Tse. Up on no news
    Don't forget the % sign, I was scratching my head for a second. Lol
    huwit, CDM76, 3MIKE and 1 others like this.
    08-31-15 11:46 AM

Using Samsung Pay in the USA: Magnetic secure transmission removes merchant barriers | ZDNet

It is being done with some help from BB software?
    No they bought a company called LoopPay, which had existing product in a smartphone case, and Samsung took it and integrated into the phone hardware for SamsungPay
    awindsr, anon(4086547) and rarsen like this.
    08-31-15 11:53 AM
    �Patent Troll� Must Pay HTC, Motorola Atty Fees In IP Row

A New York federal judge on Friday awarded partial attorneys� fees to HTC Corp., Motorola Mobility LLC and BlackBerry Ltd. in a dismissed patent infringement suit brought by Advanced Video Technologies LLC, which the judge called a "patent troll� that must pay fees under the U.S. Supreme Court's Octane ruling.

?Patent Troll? Must Pay HTC, Motorola Atty Fees In IP Row - Law360
    08-31-15 12:47 PM
    So what is the actual company located in Canada that this refers to?
    Inflexion Point with Gord McMillan

Posted via CB10
    cgk likes this.
    08-31-15 01:15 PM
    Ot: but now I'm really curious about BlackBerry and Cisco patent agreement! When I read this article I can't help but feel like BlackBerry has something to do with it, or maybe I'm going nuts(security part). Any help?

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/31/the-a...scos-help.html
    08-31-15 03:04 PM
    08-31-15 03:09 PM
    08-31-15 03:12 PM
    Ot: but now I'm really curious about BlackBerry and Cisco patent agreement! When I read this article I can't help but feel like BlackBerry has something to do with it, or maybe I'm going nuts(security part). Any help?

Apple aims to boost mobile device sales with Cisco's help
    There may be some Blackberry licensed patents involved buts its more geared to Cisco wanting its own products like Webex to be seamless with IOS. Cisco also bought a cloud services company in 2011 called newScale and integration and easy management of that product with IOS devices would seem to be a priority.
    rarsen and awindsr like this.
    08-31-15 03:18 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150831_163813.jpg
    Look what showed up today.

Classically Posted.
    08-31-15 05:39 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150831_163813.jpg 
Views:	1732 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	369179
    Look what showed up today.

Classically Posted.
    What! The glass cup?

Lol
    08-31-15 07:29 PM
    So much talk about OS10/QNX/Android hybrids. I don't think that's happening. My view is it'd be as close to plain vanilla Android as it is

I posted my view in another thread, will just paste it here for convenience.

Anyway - sure BlackBerry has hardened Android. But it's not going to be running on top of BlackBerry 10 OS.

It'd simply be (somewhat) hardened Android as close to plain vanilla Google nexus experience as possible.

In fact, I think they won't even 'skin' it much. They'd load their apps (vkb, bbm, contacts, hub etc) on top and secure Android for Work/Knox containers.

They are not going to risk undertaking a project that requires significant development/r&d effort. Especially, while they have been laying off and employee morale is all time low.

They'd modify as few parts as possible to reduce chances of introducing BlackBerry specific bugs.

They can perfect the skin and do further customizations later when they are selling in numbers again and employee morale has improved.

But at this time - it'd be a bad decision to invest (or commit) to heavily customize Android, risk introducing bugs, and risk timelines as key developers may leave anytime and such a large undertaking may never finish.

Smart thing would be to remain close to plain vanilla Android with BlackBerry apps loaded on top.

app bugs can always be fixed and pushed with app updates in Google Play store. But OS bugs take too much time to fix as it requires going through carrier testing cycle.

So, they won't risk heavily modifying the OS.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 07:45 PM
    So much talk about OS10/QNX/Android hybrids. I don't think that's happening. My view is it'd be as close to plain vanilla Android as it is

I posted my view in another thread, will just paste it here for convenience.

Anyway - sure BlackBerry has hardened Android. But it's not going to be running on top of BlackBerry 10 OS.

It'd simply be (somewhat) hardened Android as close to plain vanilla Google nexus experience as possible.

In fact, I think they won't even 'skin' it much. They'd load their apps (vkb, bbm, contacts, hub etc) on top and secure Android for Work/Knox containers.

They are not going to risk undertaking a project that requires significant development/r&d effort. Especially, while they have been laying off and employee morale is all time low.

They'd modify as few parts as possible to reduce chances of introducing BlackBerry specific bugs.

They can perfect the skin and do further customizations later when they are selling in numbers again and employee morale has improved.

But at this time - it'd be a bad decision to invest (or commit) to heavily customize Android, risk introducing bugs, and risk timelines as key developers may leave anytime and such a large undertaking may never finish.

Smart thing would be to remain close to plain vanilla Android with BlackBerry apps loaded on top.

app bugs can always be fixed and pushed with app updates in Google Play store. But OS bugs take too much time to fix as it requires going through carrier testing cycle.

So, they won't risk heavily modifying the OS.

Posted via CB10
    Chen said he will go Android if he can secure it. Plain / Vanilla Android with BB apks for their PKB and Hub and Calendar is not securing it.

They must be putting this on the Hypervisor to secure it better than stock android.
    09-01-15 12:26 AM
    We talk only on slider with 3 versions leaked, but
    why not blackberry building the next "nexus" phone?
    As it was talked that BlackBerry discussed with Google.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 01:08 AM

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/31/the-a...scos-help.html
    Good catch. But at end of day, if your thoughts are correct, would BlackBerry be able to turn this into any sort of significant income ??? My thought is that it would be a fairly insignificant portion of income. And as such Virtually no impact on SP. Even if BlackBerry gets a few dollars from it, they need more of a direct source of income to make a real impact. But ... any money is better than no money

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 01:58 AM

They must be putting this on the Hypervisor to secure it better than stock android.
    Attachment 368094

Even Blaze and others who work for crackberry don't think that - all the rumours and traffic are one way - it's android and it likely has some hardware modifications.

I worry for some of you what will happen when Chen comes out and holds up his google android device.

Work from the basis that Chen is interested in hardware making a profit and he had no ideological preference for BB10 and you can't go wrong.
    Last edited by cgk; 09-01-15 at 02:34 AM.
    09-01-15 02:20 AM
    Hi guys !
    In the sake of standing on topic, I've wrote a few (actually many) words about the kernel option here :
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post11893030

I suggest we all jump in this thread to further elaborate about it, if you don't mind !

P.S: BUT, if you want to discuss it under another angle, like "what financial benefits this would lead to ?" or "would it be the buyout signal ?", you are indeed at the proper place. Get ready to read $100 and party words together again . Oh, gang, THIS is refreshing !

Cheers
    SF
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-01-15 at 06:32 AM.
    09-01-15 06:17 AM
    Chen said he will go Android if he can secure it. Plain / Vanilla Android with BB apks for their PKB and Hub and Calendar is not securing it.

Nah. It seems like that would require herculean effort and they don't have staff for that. Besides, the more you modify Android, the more bugs you introduce.

You are running two OSes - how do you decide which OS answers call, you are working on OS1 and you get a call on OS2, what happens? Stuff like that would take a LONG time to resolve.

If they plan to do hypervisor etc. it'd be much later in the cycle. Maybe another year or two. To launch, they can't afford to break what's already working. They'd load Android apps on it, optimize device drivers for BB specific hardware, keyboard and load secure containers (Knox/Android for Work). With those secure containers loaded, Chen is going to say they've successfully secured Android. And there is nothing wrong with that for now.

I hope they resurrect BB10 when they are growing again and have the money to invest in R&D again. And who knows, in just couple of years from now, we may have technology that'd allow all apps to run on all platforms. HTML5 was expected to do that but it didn't work but we may have something else to replace HTML5's goal and actually succeed. When that happens, you can resurrect BlackBerry 10 again and not worry about anything else.
    09-01-15 08:39 AM
    Point is : 'who is "they" ?'

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 09:03 AM
    Point is : 'who is "they" ?'

Posted via CB10
    Huh? They is BlackBerry management.
    09-01-15 09:23 AM
    Attachment 368094

Even Blaze and others who work for crackberry don't think that - all the rumours and traffic are one way - it's android and it likely has some hardware modifications.

I worry for some of you what will happen when Chen comes out and holds up his google android device.

Work from the basis that Chen is interested in hardware making a profit and he had no ideological preference for BB10 and you can't go wrong.
    That was a good laugh. Awesome. What they do with this device will impact perception and revs...to Superfly I'd say it's not too off topic. Hypervisor or no....it will still be a different phone in the market. The average consumer won't care. But enterprise would like it hardened if it can be.
    09-01-15 10:36 AM
    Nah. It seems like that would require herculean effort and they don't have staff for that. Besides, the more you modify Android, the more bugs you introduce.

You are running two OSes - how do you decide which OS answers call, you are working on OS1 and you get a call on OS2, what happens? Stuff like that would take a LONG time to resolve.

If they plan to do hypervisor etc. it'd be much later in the cycle. Maybe another year or two. To launch, they can't afford to break what's already working. They'd load Android apps on it, optimize device drivers for BB specific hardware, keyboard and load secure containers (Knox/Android for Work). With those secure containers loaded, Chen is going to say they've successfully secured Android. And there is nothing wrong with that for now.

I hope they resurrect BB10 when they are growing again and have the money to invest in R&D again. And who knows, in just couple of years from now, we may have technology that'd allow all apps to run on all platforms. HTML5 was expected to do that but it didn't work but we may have something else to replace HTML5's goal and actually succeed. When that happens, you can resurrect BlackBerry 10 again and not worry about anything else.
    When I say hypervisor I don't (necessarily, but would be amazing) mean two OSes. Just Android running on hypervisor to make it more secure.
    09-01-15 10:40 AM
113,256 ... 35303531353235333534 ...