View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    You should teach that view to Lexus who had spent billions to develop the LFA which it sold only 500 copies for $350,000K a piece and lost money on every one it sold. It is a Lexus halo car, is not it?

Posted via CB10
    I know nothing about cars, less than nothing (I have a license but have never owned a car) so I'll take your word for it because I have no frame of reference - however I guess Lexus is an otherwise successful company with successful products that actually sell at decent margins.

I googled this car and lexus claim it was a testbed for technologies that made it into their other cars.
    08-30-15 12:30 PM
    I know nothing about cars, less than nothing (I have a license but have never owned a car) so I'll take your word for it because I have no frame of reference - however I guess Lexus is an otherwise successful company with successful products that actually sell at decent margins.

I googled this car and lexus claim it was a testbed for technologies that made it into their other cars.
    Right. Not everyone knows about it, but Jerry Clarkson said that is the best car ever, or something to that effect. I drove one and definitely the best car I had ever driven. The point was that halo products don't need to sell well to be one. BB10 is the best OS no matter how you look at it and it is the most secure, therefore suitable for a halo product if there isn't a mass appeal yet.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, ZayDub, 3MIKE and 3 others like this.
    08-30-15 12:42 PM
    You and M8 just spoke for the silent majority. I too was thinking the same. I rarely post elsewhere, and if lively converstion with you fellas ceased to exist, so would my avatar here.

To further M8's post, I did some due diligence and found another thread named something like 'The last post is the winner'. Well, if that is the closest competition to numbers for us, let's just say that I don't understand why some here are chastised for silly OT posts, (not withstanding defamation of character). Just go over there for a page or two and see what I mean.

Actually, no. Don't.

This is no longer just a thread, it's a hybrid community.

I wish y'all would get it, but you're too fixated in this little world here. There are a lot of threads more active. None of them are more critical than the health of the site overall. Constant disruption and the chasing off of those with opposing views isn't doing CrackBerry any good. Regardless how big the thread it's in is. The thread you sight as an example is off topic. There are many huge ones there, where fun is had, and far less angst is born.

This is the last of these discussions we need to have. Stay on topic, and if you need explanation on forum policies or Moderator actions, hit one of us up.

Thank you
    08-30-15 12:42 PM
    Right. Not everyone knows about it, but Jerry Clarkson said that is the best car ever, or something to that effect. I drove one and definitely the best car I had ever driven. The point was that halo products don't need to sell well to be one. BB10 is the best OS no matter how you look at it and it is the most secure, therefore suitable for a halo product if there isn't a mass appeal yet.

Posted via CB10
    In fact high sales sort of defeats the purpose of a halo car. A halo car is supposed to be amazing and unattainable. It adds to the prestige of the brand.

In lexus' case, it also allowed them to sell a bunch of sportier f-sport models with much more credibility than they had previously in many countries. I think your analogy is spot on, and I wonder isn't the secusmart phone the halo product? The phone you use to negotiate sensitive bailout deals and such?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    08-30-15 12:52 PM
    I wonder isn't the secusmart phone the halo product?

Run completely seperately isn't it? this might have changed but although there is a "A blackberry company" they never mention it in any of their press.
    08-30-15 12:55 PM
    Run completely seperately isn't it? this might have changed but although there is a "A blackberry company" they never mention it in any of their press.
    A lot of car companies don't make their halo cars in the same plants. Even technology transfers are sometimes weak and in name only. They get built to different standards by totally different teams. It's a lot like the race teams (like the AMG Petronas team).

What if BB just promoted secusmart more, and then sold a slice (obviously not all) of that same head of state class security in a line of Android phones.

Last edited by app_Developer; 08-30-15 at 01:14 PM.
    CDM76 likes this.
    08-30-15 01:02 PM
    This is no longer just a thread, it's a hybrid community.
    And it has been for a while, staying on topic, discussing and fighting arguments * with due temper *, etc.
    We're suffering of the drying of news that we can directly link to the SP.
    As a result, pretty much everything can be commented here, as we all wait for the "news" that could lead to the reversal we all - I guess - expect.

But so goes the forums, and we shouldn't decrease the value of this thread by loosing our standards and make it become a tchit-tchat or place-to-fight. I believe we've met here because we share, in all our variety of characters, many views and somehow behavioral postures.

I stated, some years ago, that this thread would be a gold mine for whoever would like to write a book about BBRY - the stock - and all his tenants. I still believe there's a massive value here but let's figure out how we can avoid to dilute them with - say - sideways, especially if the only result is mods' sweat, general anger and brawling/belligerent recruitment.

The present message is OT, probably boring for most (me included) so that I wish I didn't have to write it (and the former) down. I'm no police, I'm no mod, I'm only OP and normal contributor and besides the rules that's just the way I'd feel home.

YET.
    I'm calling exceptions the friendly posts like beer thirsty (there's even a smiley for that) and nice pictures (nice, not ... you know), so long they're just popping here and there occasionally, especially during week-ends. And I also hope the alert flooders can expect some warnings for wasting mods' time.
    So, while at it, it's Sunday 8PM+ here, I'm late for a beer : Cheers all !
    08-30-15 01:13 PM
    To quote Jeremy Clarkson "It's the best car in the World" LOL

Posted by my fabulous red Passport
    08-30-15 02:46 PM
    For those who want to know. JC interview (what a good laugh) love his sense of humor!

08-30-15 03:57 PM
    OT from the Related Technologies and Security files:

Journalist 'confesses' to causing China market chaos - Channel NewsAsia
    https://www.hongkongfp.com/2015/08/2...arket-rumours/

"The news agency also reported that 197 people have been punished in a special campaign by Chinese police targeting online rumours about China's stock market, the recent fatal explosions in Tianjin and "other key events"."
    08-30-15 05:37 PM
    OT from the Related Technologies and Security files:

Journalist 'confesses' to causing China market chaos - Channel NewsAsia
    https://www.hongkongfp.com/2015/08/2...arket-rumours/

"The news agency also reported that 197 people have been punished in a special campaign by Chinese police targeting online rumours about China's stock market, the recent fatal explosions in Tianjin and "other key events"."
    Wow, their version of the SEC/OSC actually does their job? Maybe we should move BlackBerry to the Chinese stock exchange!
    zyben, awindsr and CDM76 like this.
    08-30-15 07:04 PM
    I wish y'all would get it, but you're too fixated in this little world here. There are a lot of threads more active. None of them are more critical than the health of the site overall. Constant disruption and the chasing off of those with opposing views isn't doing CrackBerry any good. Regardless how big the thread it's in is. The thread you sight as an example is off topic. There are many huge ones there, where fun is had, and far less angst is born.

This is the last of these discussions we need to have. Stay on topic, and if you need explanation on forum policies or Moderator actions, hit one of us up.

Thank you
    Understood. I used to run a bulletin board system (BBS) on a 300 bps modem before the Internet even existed, so I feel for you mods regarding keeping the peace.
    I also get your point regarding the placement of this thread, which is why I would have liked to have seen this thread in an OT area. That way we could be free to talk some stock, some interests, some beach (including toes wiggling in the sand), and some beer... oh, and some Amber.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to keep more OT. In fact, here is a start:
    BlackBerry short interest from Nasdaq.

8/14/2015102,925,4374,800,69921.439677

Sorry, no chart. I am using my Z30 this weekend and don't have an up to date website like on my passport.
    awindsr and BigBadWulf like this.
    08-30-15 11:53 PM
    Wow, their version of the SEC/OSC actually does their job? Maybe we should move BlackBerry to the Chinese stock exchange!
    I don't think even Chinese Chen would want that.

08-30-15 11:59 PM
    In case you missed it : BerryFlow Upstream Podcast - Prospect | CrackBerry.com
    If you're in a hurry, just jump to Bla1ze (Chris) last words @1:09:00 mark.
    Or read it below :
    At the end of the day, there's still not enough [informations ?] to tell us exactly how BlackBerry is gonna finalize all this [...] wait until BlackBerry actually announces these things
    An I believe the REAL surprise will be exactly that : how. Not what.
    08-31-15 04:49 AM
    Very interesting read, especially about the valuation based on users V.S "real" valuation.

Why BlackBerry is a more attractive buyout target than Twitter - MarketWatch

The BBRY part :
    At least the BlackBerry rumor mill has names attached to plans instead of just vague speculation like we see with Twitter. And when you dig into the underlying business, it’s not hard to understand why some folks think a deal could happen — and most importantly, why BlackBerry can’t fall much farther even if it takes a while for a buyout to transpire.

For starters, BlackBerry has $3.3 billion in cash and investments on the books, or roughly 87% of its market cap. That’s a massive hedge, even if it does come over some $1.5 billion in debt. Furthermore, at the end of fiscal 2015 in February, BlackBerry had more than $800 million in operating cash flow.

Say what you will about the death of BlackBerry’s smartphones, it’s hard to argue that a company with this kind of capital structure is about to disappear.

Plus, BlackBerry has some attractive elements including software expertise via its BB10 and QNX operating systems, some 44,000 patents relating to wireless technology, and its much-hyped BlackBerry Messenger service that has been the most buzzworthy in light of messaging apps like WhatsApp or Snapchat getting so much press lately.

And there is no fuzzy math based on users, nor the risk of another implosion after earnings. BlackBerry is indeed unprofitable, but a lot of negativity is now priced in with the stock valued at less than 1.3 times next year’s sales and only slightly above the cash on its books.

It’s aggressive and perhaps overly optimistic to think BlackBerry is a slam dunk as an acquisition target, so I am not a shareholder and I’d warn all prospective traders to prepare for the worst if they go this route.

But given the option between betting on a Twitter buyout or a BlackBerry acquisition, it’s clear that the latter scenario is a lot more plausible.

I’ll stick with boring old buy-and-hold in large-cap tech, personally. But if you want to chase a tech acquisition in hopes of a buyout premium in short order, choose BlackBerry over Twitter.
    rarsen, awindsr, Mr BBRY and 5 others like this.
    08-31-15 05:13 AM
    https://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/...ng_qnx_kernel/

This is out of my technical realm, but he seems to suggest that the Android they are delivering on the Venice is actually a hybrid of Android with the (more secure?) QNX kernel?

At first I paid little credence to this, but if you go back to the Churchill talks with John Chen and listen to his final answer about BlackBerry and Android he does discuss about the Unix ancestry and how that makes it easy to have the parts coexist.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 07:47 AM
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/transp...ory&soc_trk=tw

"SAN MATEO, CA--(Marketwired - Aug 31, 2015) - AtHoc, Inc., the leader in networked crisis communications, today announced a new award from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), a component agency of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). TSA's intense focus on swift, ubiquitous and effective crisis communications resulted in the need to further protect and account for TSA staff within TSA facilities and across over 200 domestic airports. This move will accelerate coverage and enable precise real-time accountability of TSA staff during routine, emergency and critical events at major airports such as JFK, Dulles, LAX, SFO as well as many others across the nation."
    "TSA's Alert Warning System (AWS) based on AtHoc has been in use since 2011 to reach TSA staff in all regions. With this expansion award, TSA will deploy the system from over 100 TSA Coordination Centers, enabling direct bi-directional crisis communications for all TSA staff at over 200 major airports."

Sorry for the Yahoo Finance link.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 07:56 AM
    https://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/...ng_qnx_kernel/

This is out of my technical realm, but he seems to suggest that the Android they are delivering on the Venice is actually a hybrid of Android with the (more secure?) QNX kernel?

At first I paid little credence to this, but if you go back to the Churchill talks with John Chen and listen to his final answer about BlackBerry and Android he does discuss about the Unix ancestry and how that makes it easy to have the parts coexist.

Posted via CB10
    You beat me at it Dusdal
    The interesting angle is - IMHO - this :
    IF(see how BIG it is ?)
    BlackBerry and Google went into an agreement around this, this means Google aknowledeged there's a value added. And not a small one.
    So, talking stock, this may prefigure as big as an "Android rebirth" under the security flag with QNX "kernel" (don't want to enter the technical debate here). Whether or not it's "Android for work" perimeter only.
    BBRY a la MSFT to collect fees over Android ?
    $100
    08-31-15 08:03 AM
    Its just a snake eating its tail - they are rehashing the rumour that appeared here.
    08-31-15 08:09 AM
    Its just a snake eating its tail - they are rehashing the rumour that appeared here.
    Maybe so.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 08:10 AM
    OT:
    We have no interest in competing with Apple: Sculley of Obi Worldphone - Business Today

At the same time, we were looking at the opportunity of buying BlackBerry. We were approached by the Canadian government. We have big operations in Toronto with another one of our companies. They said that we would like to keep BlackBerry a Canadian company and would you consider acquiring it. We studied BlackBerry's business practices. We realised that they had 7,000 people in their handsets division at that time. That was incredible number of people. There's no way you can make money with that. Eventually, BlackBerry pulled the auction [down]. They brought a talented CEO to run the company John Chen. They should have brought him in three years earlier.
    News to me.
    08-31-15 08:15 AM
    08-31-15 08:24 AM
    08-31-15 08:27 AM
    So what is the actual company located in Canada that this refers to?
    08-31-15 08:27 AM
    For those who are fluent in German (the GT translation is pretty bad, unfortunately):
    https://bb10qnx.de/2015/08/blackberr...nd-entwickler/

English title:
    BlackBerry Android: impact on reputation, safety, customers and developers
    08-31-15 09:07 AM
113,251 ... 35293530353135323533 ...