View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Ot: but good reading material.

BBM should be over 100 million active users, this time last year they had 91 million.

http://www.cmegroup.com/education/fe...september.html
    08-26-15 07:59 PM
    Sounds like a former TAT guy (Sweden BB10 UI design) before it got shut down.... ?
    Indeed, he is.
    My new job as UI Designer at RIM | The Last Instinct
    08-26-15 08:38 PM
    You are sure that BBM is worth a lot. I am far from sure of that because the user base is quite small and it isn't actually growing. Since value of a social network varies exponentially by size, I just cannot see how BBM is worth much at all.

Then you somehow see more than $600M in revenue from BES and QNX. That is not supported by the facts in the earnings statement. We don't know how BES12 will do. We have no way of really knowing for at least another quarter or two. Maybe another year.

The debt is real and it is first in line. It is just as real as the cash in the bank. Everything else is speculation. So it seems arbitrary to talk about the real hard objective cash and not talk about the real hard objective debt.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Agreed we know Chen now said $500M includes license / IP deals. BES is expected to be up 20% Y/Y full fiscal I believe. But I think with licensing we hit $650M.
    08-26-15 08:41 PM
    OT:
    Amazon Curtails Development of Consumer Devices - WSJ

Amazon Curtails Development of Consumer Devices

Dozens of engineers who worked on failed smartphone are laid off as company retrenches

Amazon.com Inc. flamed out with critics and consumers last year in its first attempt at a smartphone. Now, rather than forge ahead, as it has with other projects, such as its Kindle tablets, the online retailer is retrenching.

In recent weeks Amazon has dismissed dozens of engineers who worked on its Fire phone at Lab126, its secretive hardware-development center in Silicon Valley, according to people familiar with the matter.

The layoffs were the first in the division’s 11-year history, these people said. But the precise toll on its roughly 3,000-person staff couldn’t be learned, in part because Amazon typically requires employees to sign a nondisclosure agreement in exchange for severance payments.

The company also has scaled back or halted some of Lab126’s more ambitious projects—including a large-screen tablet—and reorganized the division, combining two hardware units there into one, people familiar with the matter said.

Amazon declined to comment for this article.

The cutbacks reflect the company’s unusually cautious approach of late to capital spending. Typically, Amazon has plowed nearly all its revenue back into operations and product development. In July, however, the company’s chief financial officer credited tighter cost controls in the second quarter with helping drive a surprise $92 million profit that sent its shares soaring.

The company told some smartphone engineers earlier this year that further phone development would be shelved, though one of the people said Amazon has shifted the effort to its hometown of Seattle, under Steve Kessel, an executive who helped spearhead the company’s hardware unit and previously oversaw its strategy for digital media like e-books and music.

Lab126 suffered a further blow earlier this month when a top engineer, Jon McCormack, left to work for Google Inc. Mr. McCormack, the division’s chief technology officer for devices, lasted less than six months after returning from a short stint at Yahoo Inc.; he had spent about six years in all at the Amazon unit.

He declined to discuss the reason for his departure.

Fallout from the Fire phone flop has hurt morale at Lab126, according to current and former employees, and raises questions about Amazon’s ability to develop compelling consumer devices. The $180 Echo virtual assistant, a voice-activated speaker, has developed something of a cult following, if not yet mass appeal.

Some workers say Lab126’s shifting and, at times, enigmatic priorities, including a planned high-end computer for the kitchen, have contributed to a frenetic workplace and ill-defined roles. That has led a number of workers to take jobs at other tech firms, the people said.

Amazon established Lab126—the 1 and 26 stand for the letters A and Z—in 2004 under former Palm Computing Vice President Gregg Zehr to develop what became the popular Kindle e-reader in 2007. Located in Sunnyvale, Calif., some 800 miles from Seattle, the division has since rolled out more than a dozen products, including several versions of the Kindle and the generally well-received Fire tablet.

Last year, Lab126 released a flurry of 10 devices, including a television set-top box, the Echo and a wand for scanning bar codes at home.

“What Amazon makes are devices that are not too flashy, but they are inexpensive and they are simple to use,” said Tom Mainelli, an IDC analyst. “Mostly they are another way to serve up content that Amazon can sell you.”

After Amazon Chief Executive Jeff Bezos introduced the Fire phone at a splashy event in Seattle last summer, critics lambasted the company in part for pricing the phone at $200 with a wireless contract, the same as Apple Inc.’s iPhone, and tethering it to AT&T Inc.’s network. After four years of development, the reaction surprised some at Lab126, particularly since the company included free of charge a year of its $99 Amazon Prime unlimited shipping program.

A steep price cut to 99 cents two month later wasn’t enough to drum up phone sales. In October, Amazon took a $170 million charge mostly to write down unsold inventory.

Some engineers said that Mr. Bezos insisted that the Fire phone have a 3-D screen and other features like facial recognition cameras that they privately regarded as gimmicky and unnecessarily expensive.

At one point, the company planned a stripped-down Fire phone, but Amazon has stretched out its timeline for smartphone development indefinitely, people familiar with the matter said.

Amazon has also halted or scaled back other development projects, according to people familiar with the situation, including a smart stylus internally called Nitro, which translates a users’ scribblings into digital shopping lists; a device dubbed Shimmer for projecting images on walls and other surfaces; and a tablet code-named Project Cairo, with a 14-inch screen.

Still in the works is a high-end computer for the kitchen—code-named Kabinet—designed to serve as a hub for an Internet-connected home and capable of taking voice commands for tasks like ordering merchandise from Amazon.com.

“The next logical step for them is a fully connected home,” said IDC’s Mr. Mainelli. “With the data they have, they could soon be at the point where all the things you need just arrive at your home, without even asking.”

Unwilling to give up on 3-D, Amazon also is developing a tablet with images that will seem to pop out at the user without wearing special glasses. This technology differs from the Fire phone’s, which appears to give images on the phone’s screen more depth.

Engineers at Lab126 also said they hope to produce a battery for Kindle e-readers that could last up to two years on a single charge, up from the current six weeks to two months.

Some engineers at Lab126 say they are disappointed that the company’s hardware development has seemed to focus so heavily on driving customers to purchase more on Amazon.com.

Mr. Bezos has said he wants to sell devices at close to cost and make money on goods and services purchased through them. In July, Amazon released $5 buttons which consumers can press to instantly order a single brand-name product, such as Huggies diapers, Bounty paper towels or Tide laundry detergent.

Though Amazon doesn’t release figures on its hardware business, people familiar with the matter say lower-end versions of its e-readers and tablets make up the bulk of the company’s device sales. Its e-readers range in price from $79 to $289, and its Fire tablets range from $99 to $544, depending on which options are included.

The job cuts at Lab126 stem in part from a broad reorganization at the unit last year after it became apparent the Fire phone was a bust, according to these people. Amazon combined the tablet and e-reader group with the phone unit, the people said.

The changes left some workers with loosely defined or redundant roles and, according to people familiar with the unit, have led to a high turnover rate in recent months. Amazon hasn’t filled some of the vacated positions, the people said.
    08-26-15 08:56 PM
    CrackBerry isn't that popular to actually have people pay other people to "troll" this exact forum. That's like tinfoil hat talk haha.

There's no questioning the fact that BBRY is tanking badly. We can sit here and talk about acquisitions, security, QNX, etc...but there's a common theme. None of that seems to matter to the stock valuation as it just dropped below 9$ CAD. Ain't that sad haha.

BlackBerry's silence definitely hasn't helped either. Positive outlooks start to look bleak during these times.

But having said that, am I still a BlackBerry supporter and shareholder? Yes.
    Ok.

Is it mere coincidence that you were the first to jump in after Sidhuk and Bungas post?

08-26-15 09:03 PM
    Simple Questions:
    Is BBM growing?
    Is QNX growing?
    Is NantHealth growing?
    Is WatchDox growing?
    Is IP/Licencing growing?
    Is BES growing?
    Is the need for security and privacy growing?
    Is cash growing?
    Are acquisitions growing?

Don't mind the small eps losses. Hardware is pulling it down. Producing less handsets and entering the Android game can fix that.

The rest looks great!

Posted via CB10
    I smell what you are cooking there Rock.

I don't appreciate you power slamming us with that simple logic stuff.
    08-26-15 09:36 PM
    Alright, dumb question regarding triggering a capital loss for tax purposes. (in Canada)

If you sell a stock and immediately buy it back, you can't claim capital loss as it is considered superficial and you actually have to wait 30 days before you can buy back.
    But.....can't I buy more of a stock and then sell it to claim a partial capital loss based on the ACB?

E.g. Currently own 100 shares of BB at $10. It is $5 now so I want to try and trigger a capital loss. I buy 100 shares today at $5. My ACB is $7.50/share. Now I sell 100 shares today.

At the start of the day and the end of the day I will both have 100 shares. But I would have triggered a capital loss of ($7.50-$5) x 100 = $250

Am I correct? Or is this not a loop hole?
    (Ignore commission for simplicity of calculation)
    08-26-15 10:45 PM
    Alright, dumb question regarding triggering a capital loss for tax purposes. (in Canada)

If you sell a stock and immediately buy it back, you can't claim capital loss as it is considered superficial and you actually have to wait 30 days before you can buy back.
    But.....can't I buy more of a stock and then sell it to claim a partial capital loss based on the ACB?

E.g. Currently own 100 shares of BB at $10. It is $5 now so I want to try and trigger a capital loss. I buy 100 shares today at $5. My ACB is $7.50/share. Now I sell 100 shares today.

At the start of the day and the end of the day I will both have 100 shares. But I would have triggered a capital loss of ($7.50-$5) x 100 = $250

Am I correct? Or is this not a loop hole?
    (Ignore commission for simplicity of calculation)
    I know you're looking for Canadian law, but I think Canada is similar to US in that:

1) Stocks are sold on a first-in-first-out basis, or specific lot identification basis. Therefore, average cost basis doesn't matter.

2) When selling at a loss, the wash sale rules look back 30 days and look forward 30 days from date of sale (at a loss). Any shares purchased during that 60 day window will be considered "replacement shares" and the deferred loss will increase the basis of the replacement shares.

Therefore, if you sell at a loss, you have to wait 31 days to repurchase the same stock. If you buy on day 30, it will still be a wash sale. Likewise, if you buy shares today, and plan to dispose of some shares at a loss, wait 31 days before selling at a loss so that your purchased shares aren't considered "replacement shares." Check with your brokerage firm how they handle disposition of replacement shares, especially if you have multiple replacement share lots or bought more replacement shares than you sold at a loss.
    rarsen, Bacon Munchers and 3MIKE like this.
    08-26-15 11:36 PM
    08-27-15 06:04 AM
    08-27-15 07:30 AM
    Simple Questions:
    Is the need for security and privacy growing?

Is there any market evidence that it is the case? Security failure after security failure with no change in corporate or consumer behaviour doesn't suggest its the case - not outside niche usage cases.
    08-27-15 07:43 AM
    Is there any market evidence that it is the case? Security failure after security failure with no change in corporate or consumer behaviour doesn't suggest its the case - not outside niche usage cases.
    The auto security bill is evidence on one front. Government intervention for human safety in this case, vs stolen personal information.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 07:46 AM
    The auto security bill is evidence on one front. Government intervention for human safety in this case, vs stolen personal information.

Posted via CB10
    And security related:

California passes law mandating smartphone kill switch

California passes law mandating smartphone kill switch | PCWorld
    08-27-15 07:53 AM
    2) When selling at a loss, the wash sale rules look back 30 days and look forward 30 days from date of sale (at a loss). Any shares purchased during that 60 day window will be considered "replacement shares" and the deferred loss will increase the basis of the replacement shares.

Therefore, if you sell at a loss, you have to wait 31 days to repurchase the same stock. If you buy on day 30, it will still be a wash sale. Likewise, if you buy shares today, and plan to dispose of some shares at a loss, wait 31 days before selling at a loss so that your purchased shares aren't considered "replacement shares." Check with your brokerage firm how they handle disposition of replacement shares, especially if you have multiple replacement share lots or bought more replacement shares than you sold at a loss.
    This applies when I buy and then sell? Because the new purchase increases my position, it's technically a new asset.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 07:57 AM
    Just stop talking buddy. You make no sense.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 368534
    sidhuk, bungaboy, rarsen and 8 others like this.
    08-27-15 08:06 AM
    This applies when I buy and then sell? Because the new purchase increases my position, it's technically a new asset.
    Not really. The Wash Sale rules are anti-abuse rules. People used to sell for a loss at year end so they had a loss for tax purposes in year 1 then turn around a day or two later and repurchase the same shares in year 2. Effectively, their economic position hadn't changed, but they got a tax benefit in year 1. Therefore, to combat that abuse, the wash sale rules were introduced and they said any purchases of stock within 30 days before and after a sale for a loss was done in anticipation of the loss, and are therefore deferred until the replacement shares are disposed of. The deferred loss gets added to the basis of the replacement shares.

In the US, and probably in Canada, you can even run afoul of the wash sale rules even if you sell for a loss in a taxable account and purchase the same shares in an Individual Retirement Account, or vice-versa I believe.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, jxnb and awindsr like this.
    08-27-15 08:30 AM
    Dude, you know better than that. You surely are aware that corporations are scrambling to secure their IT systems. We get at least one email a week regarding security changes at our school and hospitals. It is getting to the point that it starts to interfere with our work. So, corporate behavior is definitely changing. Same goes for personal, how many people do you think are still storing their naked pictures on iCloud? I know that I have removed all mine. So, surely consumer behavior is also changing. Oh, I meant my pictures, no naked ones were harmed in the process. LOL
    08-27-15 08:51 AM
    BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) Buyouts Bring Strong Updates in Enterprise

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) Buyouts Bring Strong Updates in Enterprise

"BlackBerry Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY), (TSE:BB) has gone on a bit of a spending spree in recent months as it tries to capture the enterprise market in order to turn itself into one of the leaders in mobile software for enterprise. Two of the firm’s recent buys, AtHoc and WatchDox, announced big upgrades to their systems on Wednesday. That’s a sign that the BlackBerry plan to capture more IT spending is moving ahead strongly. . . "
    08-27-15 09:02 AM
    Just stop talking buddy. You make no sense.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 368534
    OK if I make no sense and what you say is true - when the (lets assume its real) secure android device from BBRY lands, it will be a sales success because it meets a market need that no other android vendor (except maybe samsung) is tackling - right?

The fact that it is more secure (via efuse or however) will provide a clear differentiation that people will pay for?
    08-27-15 09:43 AM
    BlackBerry Might be Making a Comeback and It’s All Thanks to Email

BlackBerry Might be Making a Comeback and It?s All Thanks to Email | PerformanceIN

Touted in the media for its ‘tragic decline’, the BlackBerry, the once ubiquitous businessman’s best friend, may not be going down without a fight.

Or that's what a study into email open and click rates across Europe would suggest.

Taking the Apple and Android titans by the blindside, BlackBerry devices saw 71% year-on-year growth in email opens and clicks in the UK - one of the highest rates in the EU, according to study co-ordinator SendGrid .

Its most triumphant growth was in the emerging Polish market, where email engagement on the device climbed 238% since last year, while Croatia wasn’t far behind at 218%.

Rates also rose in Sweden (+59%), Italy (+32%), Belgium (+19%), Netherlands (+10%) and Spain (+11%).

In fact, open rates for the over-buttoned underdog only fell in only four of the 28 EU member states, with Austria (-60%) standing out as its least successful stop-off on the email comeback tour.

Corporate use

The findings show that BlackBerry may still have a grip on its target audience of business professionals, and might be riding on corporate emails being increasingly sent from the handset.

“Since the very first corporate email was sent a little over 33 years ago this week, we've seen it become the ‘de facto’ business communications tool of the modern era, more recently consisting mainly of mobile-based communications,” said Aaron Beach, SendGrid’s senior data scientist.

“Email has now become the dominant platform for sending and receiving corporate email. Our data indicates that tablet usage just hasn't taken off in the same meaningful way.”

But this might not be the last we hear on BlackBerry this year, with reports revealing that the Canadian firm has two new smartphones in the works, featuring Google’s Android operating system.

Apple vs Android

Meanwhile, rivalry between the two operating systems we’re more comfortable talking about remains hot, even in the mobile email space.

Apple still makes up almost a quarter (24%) of email opens and clicks in the UK, the largest European market in terms of emails delivered, but this is a decrease of 8% on last year despite a rise of the same figure across the EU as a whole.

However, Android email engagement grew in the UK by 23% over the same period and an average of 68% in the EU, where 22 member states witnessed an increase.

“Whilst Apple devices remain the most popular business communications platform, we've seen Android steadily catch up in our year-on-year data for all device platform clicks.

“Apple will have some work to do to maintain their dominant position,” said Beach.
    08-27-15 09:45 AM
    Dude, you know better than that. You surely are aware that corporations are scrambling to secure their IT systems. We get at least one email a week regarding security changes at our school and hospitals. It is getting to the point that it starts to interfere with our work. So, corporate behavior is definitely changing. Same goes for personal, how many people do you think are still storing their naked pictures on iCloud? I know that I have removed all mine. So, surely consumer behavior is also changing. Oh, I meant my pictures, no naked ones were harmed in the process. LOL
    Here is one of your naked pictures from the cloud.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-tweetybird.jpg

LMAO
    08-27-15 10:03 AM
    08-27-15 10:13 AM
    08-27-15 10:23 AM
    10.3.2 Bug Fix e Comparsa di Switch For Android! -

Translation

Another news, not linked to the previous one, is the appearance, on-line, a new image that shows a BlackBerry Passport has a new entry in the menu to "drop down" settings.
    The "new" tab Switch to Androind would enable the user to select the desired operating system to use, if the image correspond to reality, we are confronted to a device with a dual operating system installed.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-blackdroid.jpg

No opinion as to the veracity of this image.
    08-27-15 10:43 AM
    ... how many people do you think are still storing their naked pictures on iCloud? I know that I have removed all mine.
    Mine are still there. Heh. Heh (nudge-nudge wink-wink).
    08-27-15 10:45 AM
113,256 ... 35233524352535263527 ...