View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    "Good enough for now" is the death of all technologies, isn't it? World moves fast. BB, of all companies, should know what that means.

Anyway, I'm convinced they will hop on the Android train instead. I think that is the smart move here. For those who don't believe that, I'll take a friendly wager.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    It's a possibility, but do you think that they will abandon BB10? I am thinking that they will keep it at least to serve governments and corporations. As long as they make enough money from Android devices to keep hardware afloat, there isn't a need to shut BB10 down, is there?
    La Emperor likes this.
    08-25-15 09:15 AM
    It's a possibility, but do you think that they will abandon BB10? I am thinking that they will keep it at least to serve governments and corporations. As long as they make enough money from Android devices to keep hardware afloat, there isn't a need to shut BB10 down, is there?
    I don't think they will explicitly shut it down. They'll just stop putting any $$ into it, layoff everyone working on it (if they haven't left already) and then sometime later quietly EOL it.

I doubt BB10 will be ported to any new chipsets next year.

sati01 likes this.
    08-25-15 09:19 AM
    I don't think they will explicitly shut it down. They'll just stop putting any $$ into it, layoff everyone working on it (if they haven't left already) and then sometime later quietly EOL it.

I doubt BB10 will be ported to any new chipsets next year.

Since Chen has been saying "end to end" security, if they EOL BB10, would that imply they have found a way to secure Android (to the level of BB10)? Is that possible to do with Android?
    zyben likes this.
    08-25-15 09:21 AM
    OT:Break from all this sky is falling talk

Anyone watch the TV show the Brink? Man there is alot of Blackberry Classics or Q10's in that show. Nice to see a production company stay true to a White House themed show. Not like that State of Affairs show (iphone lovers)
    zyben, 3MIKE and CDM76 like this.
    08-25-15 09:30 AM
    Rarsen and Plasmid_boy you folks are the best (Corbu and Bunga don't get jealous, I still love you). Lol

As for IggyCity, I don't invest on rumors or speculation! Long term investor, not a day trader or weekly trader. Seeking Alpha has lots of rumors and speculation, head over there and start trading.

By the way I spoke to John Chen today and he told me something really good. BlackBerry doesn't comment on rumors or speculations.
    08-25-15 09:55 AM
    "Good enough for now" is the death of all technologies, isn't it? World moves fast. BB, of all companies, should know what that means.

Not true because Qt has nothing to do with BB10 internals.
    Last edited by pbfan; 08-25-15 at 10:22 AM.
    08-25-15 09:56 AM
    bbjdog for Mod!

Posted via CB10
    No that won't work out good! Especially after a few beers. I would delete everyone's post. Lol

Thanks Dimi
    08-25-15 09:58 AM
    Just a thought or two:

I 'support' the Toronto Maple Leafs. They have not won the Stanley Cup in over a generation. I, and many thousands of loyal 'supporters' have spent countless hours over the years, yelling at our television screens, and complaining about the management, etc. of the team. This is normal across all sports.

The point? Supporting a team does not mean blindly ignoring its shortcoming and bad performances, or decisions. It is often the most loyal fans that are the most critical at times, not because they are 'trolls', but because they want the team to do well, and are frustrated to tears by seemingly endless series of awful decisions and subsequent performances.

I have been watching if not commenting in this forum for a while, and seen it change. The things people hissed against only a year ago are now supported...it's like reading Animal Farm all over again sometimes. (Oh, no...what it actually says is No Animal Shall Sleep in a Bed......WITH SHEETS!).

In the name of honestly, I will disclose that I sold all my shares in BB months ago when they started charging for timed messages etc in BBM and when I finally accepted that they would make no effort to advertise their wares. I really want BlackBerry to do well, and hopefully will find reason to buy shares in the near future, but Chen's decisions caused me alarm, and it turned out I was right to sell. I have been fortunate enough to double my money and a half on BlackBerry over the past two years or so, but that is partly because I separate my emotional wishes and desires for the company from my hard earned money. I remain a loyal supporter of the company, despite not agreeing with what they are doing or not doing. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this category.

It is my humble view, that an enterprise-only focus will shrink the company and leave it dangerously vulnerable and inflexible. It hurts me that they have played so poorly in the consumer space, and not hired anyone with the talent to sell products to a wide audience.

Whichever way one 'rationalises' the last two years for BlackBerry, the fact is that the company and the stock are doing very very badly indeed. All part of the plan? Maybe, but I think that being less blindly 'positive' over the last couple years would have saved a number of people on this site a lot of money - let's be real, unless you bought loads of BlackBerry the last time the stock was in the gutter (I did), you are in the bleeding red right now. Let's all hope that things take a huge turn for the better, but let's also hope we can use all our varied knowledge and opinions to make this a forum for enlightenment and wisdom when trading BB or BBRY.

All the best to EVERYONE, even those who will call me names, in words or in their heads.

Posted via CB10
    Uzi, Munx, anon(4086547) and 1 others like this.
    08-25-15 09:59 AM
    OT: Perhaps the Moderation Team have received instructions to transition to "Android Central"
    Good laugh Bunga! Thanks!
    zyben, Corbu and bungaboy like this.
    08-25-15 10:00 AM
    Just a thought or two:

I 'support' the Toronto Maple Leafs. They have not won the Stanley Cup in over a generation. I, and many thousands of loyal 'supporters' have spent countless hours over the years, yelling at our television screens, and complaining about the management, etc. of the team. This is normal across all sports.

The point? Supporting a team does not mean blindly ignoring its shortcoming and bad performances, or decisions. It is often the most loyal fans that are the most critical at times, not because they are 'trolls', but because they want the team to do well, and are frustrated to tears by seemingly endless series of awful decisions and subsequent performances.

I have been watching if not commenting in this forum for a while, and seen it change. The things people hissed against only a year ago are now supported...it's like reading Animal Farm all over again sometimes. (Oh, no...what it actually says is No Animal Shall Sleep in a Bed......WITH SHEETS!).

In the name of honestly, I will disclose that I sold all my shares in BB months ago when they started charging for timed messages etc in BBM and when I finally accepted that they would make no effort to advertise their wares. I really want BlackBerry to do well, and hopefully will find reason to buy shares in the near future, but Chen's decisions caused me alarm, and it turned out I was right to sell. I have been fortunate enough to double my money and a half on BlackBerry over the past two years or so, but that is partly because I separate my emotional wishes and desires for the company from my hard earned money. I remain a loyal supporter of the company, despite not agreeing with what they are doing or not doing. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this category.

It is my humble view, that an enterprise-only focus will shrink the company and leave it dangerously vulnerable and inflexible. It hurts me that they have played so poorly in the consumer space, and not hired anyone with the talent to sell products to a wide audience.

Whichever way one 'rationalises' the last two years for BlackBerry, the fact is that the company and the stock are doing very very badly indeed. All part of the plan? Maybe, but I think that being less blindly 'positive' over the last couple years would have saved a number of people on this site a lot of money - let's be real, unless you bought loads of BlackBerry the last time the stock was in the gutter (I did), you are in the bleeding red right now. Let's all hope that things take a huge turn for the better, but let's also hope we can use all our varied knowledge and opinions to make this a forum for enlightenment and wisdom when trading BB or BBRY.

All the best to EVERYONE, even those who will call me names, in words or in their heads.

Posted via CB10
    Nice one! Reminds me of a song "if you can read my mind"
    zyben and 3MIKE like this.
    08-25-15 10:11 AM
    Since Chen has been saying "end to end" security, if they EOL BB10, would that imply they have found a way to secure Android (to the level of BB10)? Is that possible to do with Android?
    I think you have to look at the cost versus number of actual users here. BB is selling us BES12 by saying that it secures our iPhone and Samsung fleets. They aren't telling us "hey, buy our product and connect your iOS and Android phones, but it's not actually really secure because it's not end to end". Their message is very clear that BES12 + Samsung/Apple is a secure communications solution for our business.

So I think as they sell BES12, and have more and more users connecting their iOS and Android phones to it (which we all hope they do), then the number of BB10 users will end up so small that it isn't worth major investment.

Again, i'm not saying that they will take BB10 out to the public square and shoot it in the head. I think they will starve it (and they already are starving it) until some new chipset comes out and they don't even bother porting it anymore.
    chr1sny likes this.
    08-25-15 10:14 AM
    DBODD
    zyben, Corbu and 3MIKE like this.
    08-25-15 10:20 AM
    OT: Security related.

Notable recent data breach hacks.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-hacks.jpg
    rarsen, zyben, chr1sny and 5 others like this.
    08-25-15 10:21 AM
    OT: Security related.

Notable recent data breach hacks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hacks.jpg 
Views:	1349 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	368346
    I love that Home depot one! Especially when the hack happened after leaving BlackBerry!
    bungaboy, rarsen, zyben and 2 others like this.
    08-25-15 10:25 AM
    This stock is dead no momentum at all. We need some big news to just get us back to double digits

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 10:44 AM
    Shake shake...

BB10.4 is in the works for some time now. Update should be coming because I have been receiving updates for my native bb10 apps for the last few days... ;-)

According to rumors BlackBerry has been testing Android run devices. A Lollipop Passport and a giant slider have have surfaced on the internet. Rumors "confirm" that these AndroBerries will have the BlackBerry productivity suite like the hub. But wait, there's more: Google play is also available on the devices. A Passport and a giant slider with Android are something else in the current offering of Android phones.

The above is based on rumors so we don't know if the devices are for real. But if BlackBerry is going to do this it has advantages.

BlackBerry will be visible again in phone shops because they do sell Android phones. There these will hit the shelves as BB10 phones have been ignored.

For prosumers the app gapp has been close once and for all. (yes, you can have all Android apps on your Passport but...that's difficult for the average phone user). BlackBerry becomes interesting again for people who are heavily using Google apps.

Android phones are in demand in the business market. BlackBerry carves out a share bringing out Android run BlackBerry smartphones.
    These phones are not the average mass market Android slabs.

BES is a cross platform MDM right? BES could benefit from the new AndroBerries. Organisations using Google/Android apps for their business could actually choose to have AndroBerries without having to change the apps they use and dump Mobile iron or any other MDM solution in favour of BES. They might even think about using the BlackBerry productivity suite in stead of the apps they used.

Just look at the bright side of things, but be realistic . That should not take any dragons or fairytales. This thread is already suffering from negative news and slides in the SP.

Posted via CB10
    The plan seems sexy. But the reality is : they burned billions to launch (development was before) BB10 for a - shy - mass market recovery attempt. Android powered device launch for the mass market (with close to zero advantage for enterprise market) cost will be similar. Can they ?

I must admit the sum of rumors do raise questioning, even for me.
    Yet, there's one thing I'm close to certain : BB10 will live. I've put all my Elite contacts under heavy hassle and the "we keep committed to BlackBerry 10" statement remains unchanged. Remember: the simple announce of BB10 EOL will kill the regulated market in a few months. That's just impossible.

So, let's shake again...
    An android device for Joe's hands and a BB10 for Obama's ?
    Besides all the above, they're not staffed for that.

And the Google thing...
    Nah, anyhow I shake it, I don't buy it, unless there's a massive change - like a buyout or Google's OEMS Terms change - we didn't figure out. And I'm not sure we could have missed it with all the 'insiders' and various deep tongues we have all read lately.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 11:43 AM
    I wish I had time to address all the comments, but mine is so dang limited lately . I will have to respond to this though:

You took what I said completely out of context, and made my point for me. Differing opinion doesn't make either of us a troll. ‎

My comments were intended to inspire conversation, not anger. It's unfortunate for some there is no acceptable discussion regarding BlackBerry beyond the positive. All other stocks get dissected in grave detail, and any rumored failing of Android or iOS is relished here. Once BlackBerry has Android on it, will posts about security leaks within that OS suddenly become trolling too? I hope to G_d not.*

Cheers guys! I like y'all wish BlackBerry to live long and prosper. *
    I never called you a troll, I called you a mod. I'm done with this conversation as others have commented more than adequately to your response. I'm just going to grab my pom-poms and white cane and get back to doing what I do best.
    awindsr, 3MIKE, dusdal and 1 others like this.
    08-25-15 12:12 PM
    James from BerryFlow:

BlackBerry Targeted At Diverse, Convergent Mobile Sectors

BlackBerry Targeted At Diverse, Convergent Mobile Sectors
    bungaboy, awindsr, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    08-25-15 12:13 PM
    Here's a guy who doesn't think BlackBerry is giving up on BB10:

Caught on film: Android runs smoothly on the BlackBerry Passport

A pure Android interface with BlackBerry's own apps and hardware may be just what the company needs to boost device sales.

Caught on film: Android runs smoothly on the BlackBerry Passport | ZDNet
    08-25-15 12:17 PM
    TWICE applauds QNX OS-powered OnStar 4G LTE with VIP Award

QNX Auto Blog: TWICE applauds QNX OS-powered OnStar 4G LTE with VIP Award
    08-25-15 12:21 PM
    Typical, the markets back up almost 200 pts annnd bbry is down 2.5%.... I'm very tempted at this point to cut losses and be done with it. How can management sit there and be so silent and do nothing to stem the bleeding? I've never seen such apathy from a management team toward a companies stock price.

*sigh* end rant. Just getting frustrated by their lack of communication.

Posted via crackberry10 on my new Z30!
    lech31, anon(4086547) and JLagoon like this.
    08-25-15 12:35 PM
    I wish I had time to address all the comments, but mine is so dang limited lately . I will have to respond to this though:

You took what I said completely out of context, and made my point for me. Differing opinion doesn't make either of us a troll. ‎

My comments were intended to inspire conversation, not anger. It's unfortunate for some there is no acceptable discussion regarding BlackBerry beyond the positive. All other stocks get dissected in grave detail, and any rumored failing of Android or iOS is relished here. Once BlackBerry has Android on it, will posts about security leaks within that OS suddenly become trolling too? I hope to G_d not.*

Cheers guys! I like y'all wish BlackBerry to live long and prosper. *
    Well said. Any forum on any subject whatsoever that discourages opposing views or negative considerations is doomed to develop huge and potentially tragic blind spots and negative surprises. This is especially important to accept when we are talking about a publicly trading stock.

That being said, many would claim that this is NOT a forum for discussing the positive and negative aspects and future possibilities for bbry. If we take the thread's title literally, this is a place for 'supporting' bbry, and 'buy[ing] shares'. Nowhere in the title does it say that this is a place for thinking critically about our investments. That's an important distinction to make and perhaps this is why we end up bickering in here from time to time.

I personally favour having rigorous and well-considered discussions about the positive and negative sides of things, but perhaps that is not what this thread is meant to be.

With respect, and I know that a lot of people in here are DEEP underwater in their investments in BB or BBRY, I think it's a really foolish and dangerous thing to invest based on too much emotion and not enough consideration of all the facts. This isn't monopoly, and for those of us who invest with real money, it would be best to welcome comments from those who have worries or concerns. Just a thought.

Posted via CB10
    I learned long ago that expressing anything other than a one-sided optimistic view of this stock is not tolerated in this thread. Not saying I have any issue with that but it just is what it is.

I'm curious to know whether the posters on here still agree with this thread's premise that BBRY is a good long-term investment. On November 4, 2011, around when this thread was created, this stock was trading at about $18.97/share. Over 3.5 years later and as of 1:37PM today, it's trading at about $6.78 a share. I've seen a few posters claim that they still made money on this stock by day-trading on its ups and downs (of which there are many) but I wonder how many of the long-term "stockberrians" are still in it for the long haul.

In particular, I'm curious to hear what developments posters think will boost the share price of the stock over the long-term past the levels that the stock was trading at this thread's inception (i.e., around $19/share).

I'd welcome hearing some good reasons to snatch it up at its current low price.
    Last edited by chr1sny; 08-25-15 at 12:55 PM. Reason: grammar or lack thereof
    08-25-15 12:46 PM
    Another day, another 2% drop. Oh well. Looking forward to the next earnings release to see how the company's cash flow was this quarter. I can't see any increase before then.

Am I looking to sell? At these prices, no way! With the security leaks going on these days, I'd think companies will start doubling down on security. I'm still enjoying my B10 Z10. Works like a charm. Still looks like a good device. I am hopefully that BBRY can find some revenue generating businesses based on their IP, Engineering talent, and still fairly robust cash reserves.
    08-25-15 01:22 PM
    Another day, another 2% drop. Oh well. Looking forward to the next earnings release to see how the company's cash flow was this quarter. I can't see any increase before then.
    The sad thing is that's what we said last quarter....and the one before that...and...
    08-25-15 01:31 PM
    The sad thing is that's what we said last quarter....and the one before that...and...
    Do you even own shares?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-15 01:39 PM
113,256 ... 35193520352135223523 ...