View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I thought his comment was pretty clear. BlackBerry are apparently a software company now, but seem to be giving up, at least somewhat, on their own software: BlackBerry 10. Perhaps I misunderstood, but I think that was what he was saying.

Maybe they aren't, and are only doing this Android thing before unleashing the supreme power of BlackBerry 10 on the universe, but the media will definitely comment on BlackBerry 'giving up' and capitulating to Android. That's for sure. Then, there is the possibility that most people who don't already own a BlackBerry still ignore the slider, while BlackBerry 10 owners form the majority of people who switch from BlackBerry 10 to Android on the slider. It's obviously not possible to tell how things will play out yet. As BlackBerry will certainly not advertise the slider well well at all, it's certain to sell poorly anyway. After the slider, it's hard to say what BlackBerry will do. It's all looking a bit chaotic from an outsider's perspective. As always...we will see.

Posted via CB10
    How about an article that would raise an eyebrow... , "Finally someone to secure this vulnerable unsecured platform. Many technology titans have tried without success , will Blackberry be any different?".
    zyben, Corbu, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    08-24-15 02:51 PM
    I thought his comment was pretty clear. BlackBerry are apparently a software company now, but seem to be giving up, at least somewhat, on their own software: BlackBerry 10. Perhaps I misunderstood, but I think that was what he was saying.

Maybe they aren't, and are only doing this Android thing before unleashing the supreme power of BlackBerry 10 on the universe, but the media will definitely comment on BlackBerry 'giving up' and capitulating to Android. That's for sure. Then, there is the possibility that most people who don't already own a BlackBerry still ignore the slider, while BlackBerry 10 owners form the majority of people who switch from BlackBerry 10 to Android on the slider. It's obviously not possible to tell how things will play out yet. As BlackBerry will certainly not advertise the slider well well at all, it's certain to sell poorly anyway. After the slider, it's hard to say what BlackBerry will do. It's all looking a bit chaotic from an outsider's perspective. As always...we will see.

Posted via CB10
    No. His comment said that BlackBerry 'has gave up on its own software and started using the competitor's software'. That is simply untrue. Which was okay after Morgan8 clarified it, but then BigBadWulf came back and stated that his comment "is accurate", which it wasn't.
    zyben, rarsen, La Emperor and 9 others like this.
    08-24-15 03:14 PM
    Anyway, the wonderful and sometimes frightening thing about the real world is that it eventually sorts out all the rumours and predictions. Eventually the slider will come out and we will see the following:

- whether BlackBerry advertise the thing in any serious sense of the word.

- whether it sells.

- whether those who buy it are new BlackBerry customers, or BlackBerry 10 customers who jump ship on BlackBerry own OS.

- *of course, we will see many other things, including whether anything positive whatsoever comes of BBM, and whether software and enterprise end up really being the saviour that gets the stock price about $15, or even $10.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 04:05 PM
    Imo, they can't or won't give up on BB10. If they can, that would mean they found a way to make Android highly-secure (result: everybody wants a piece of it, and our stock soars) But more likely, they did not find a way to make Android highly-secure, just secure enough (either due to technical or political issues) Now, keep in mind they revealed both the Leap (running BB10) and the Slider at MWC 2015 back in March. And just a few weeks ago, they revamped the Passport... Passport Silver Edition (running BB10). You really think they'd show their last loyal customer base the middle finger only developing Android handsets going forward? Anyone remember the Playbook fiasco?

And guess what, CNBC checked with BlackBerry last Wednesday and they had this to say:
    "We don't comment on rumors or speculation, but we remain ‎committed to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, which provides security and productivity benefits that are unmatched," a Blackberry spokeswoman said. CNBC was unable to independently verify the veracity of the photos."

source: A Blackberry-Android phone?

Edit: BOOM
    08-24-15 04:08 PM
    Want to thanks M+8 for his optimistic comments on the markets today. Though I'd post the same chart of the Dow Jones Index. This one however from Barchart.com. Tried punching in the 200 MA to TradingView website and I didn't get the same results as stockcharts.com and barchart.com. Looks like some give more accurate data then others.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-dowi.png
    08-24-15 04:11 PM
    Something BlackBerry won't give up is BBM. It is cross platform and available on all mobile platforms. An interesting article about BBM and commerce from the BlackBerry blog.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/08/...gagement||BBM|

Why on earth would BlackBerry give up on BB10? It is a secure end to end solution. Adopting Android is a business opportunity. BlackBerry might be interesting for new customers and users. This could be the easy way to lure new users. Google already markets Android, no need for BlackBerry to spend money on that. Just make Android devices with the BlackBerry experience. Technically it's not necessary to adopt Android for apps. Google play works on a BB10 Passport (look it up in the forums). Chen is looking for growth. Android devices might do the trick.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 04:16 PM
    I thought his comment was pretty clear.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately, very clear....
    plasmid_boy, zyben and awindsr like this.
    08-24-15 04:41 PM
    Unfortunately, very clear....
    Dude, you're too funny. I LOL for real.
    zyben likes this.
    08-24-15 05:06 PM
    I hope you're right, but what I said is what I expect the street to perceive. From what I know today, my statement is accurate. BB10 OS will be maintained as I BES alternative only, if that.

This is a stock thread is it not? I'd prefer to say what makes both of us happy. I cannot. If all y'all want to to to to cheerleader, this thread should have ended a long time ago.
    Seriously, your posts have pissed me off
    I tried to stay away from the thread today....

I don't even know where to begin to rebuttal your comments.

But I do know one thing after today....

....you deserve the elusive award ....

I would post it, but you would delete this post.

And the day in which a MOD receives the award, is the day I leave.

Thanks

(and goodbye to my other brothers)
    ZayDub, awindsr, zyben and 1 others like this.
    08-24-15 05:08 PM
    Imo, they can't or won't give up on BB10. If they can, that would mean they found a way to make Android highly-secure (result: everybody wants a piece of it, and our stock soars) But more likely, they did not find a way to make Android highly-secure, just secure enough (either due to technical or political issues)
    The counterargument is that BB10 is stuck on discontinued QT 4.8, which will no longer receive security updates, and is on a trajectory to be super insecure.

Unless Blackberry invests the money to update BB10 to QT 5, BB10 will soon become impossible to maintain and less secure than Android due to failure and inability to patch known bugs and exploits.

To provide customers with a secure, modern OS without significant new investment, one solution is for BBRY to transition to Android.
    sati01 likes this.
    08-24-15 05:14 PM
    The counterargument is that BB10 is stuck on discontinued QT 4.8, which will no longer receive security updates, and is on a trajectory to be super insecure.

Unless Blackberry invests the money to update BB10 to QT 5, BB10 will soon become impossible to maintain and less secure than Android. To provide customers with a secure, modern OS without significant new investment, one solution is for BBRY to transition to Android.
    How much do you think it would cost to transition BB10 to QT 5?
    08-24-15 05:21 PM

Unless Blackberry invests the money to update BB10 to QT 5, BB10 will soon become impossible to maintain and less secure than Android due to failure and inability to patch known bugs and exploits.

To provide customers with a secure, modern OS without significant new investment, one solution is for BBRY to transition to Android.
    Weak, very weak my friend. Blackberry's use of QT was for presentation. (QML). The BlackBerry NDK uses native API declarations using C.

Nice try though.

Edit: Any other false statements and misconceptions you need us to correct?

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 05:31 PM
    Schooled!!! Bhahaha...well done sir...high five...fist bump...and all that other jazz.

Classically Posted.
    Attachment 368281
    3MIKE, awindsr, kadakn01 and 3 others like this.
    08-24-15 05:40 PM
    Schooled!!! Bhahaha...well done sir...high five...fist bump...and all that other jazz.

Classically Posted.
    Attachment 368281

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150824_184456_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, 3MIKE, Corbu and 2 others like this.
    08-24-15 05:47 PM
    [QUOTE=Dunt Dunt Dunt;11876957]I agree.... Except for why would a downturn make security a pirority over any other time. Anyway still don't see how that helps BlackBerry.[QUOTE]

Competitors and hackers get more desperate. Clients turn to established incumbents and away from smaller companies burning cash. Any more questions?

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, 3MIKE, awindsr and 5 others like this.
    08-24-15 05:53 PM
    Weak, very weak my friend. Blackberry's use of QT was for presentation. (QML). The BlackBerry NDK uses native API declarations using C.

Nice try though.

Edit: Any other false statements and misconceptions you need us to correct?

Posted via CB10
    Huh? Qt is much more than just QML. You can make apps without QML, but unless that app is a game, you are using quite a bit of Qt. All of BB's own apps (Hub, BBM, phone, etc) have dependencies on Qt. Qt is a big, big part of the BB10 architecture.

This is a serious issue that you can't just dismiss. If they plan to keep BB10 they will eventually have to get up to date on Qt or find some other framework.

The fact that they let this lapse means they either feel that can't afford to do it now, or they don't care. It's like a car that is in disrepair. Either the owner can't afford the upkeep at the moment. OR she's getting a new car soon and doesn't want to spend more money on the old one.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    sati01, awindsr and BigBadWulf like this.
    08-24-15 06:09 PM
    Huh? Qt is much more than just QML. You can make apps without QML, but unless that app is a game, you are using quite a bit of Qt. All of BB's own apps (Hub, BBM, phone, etc) have dependencies on Qt. Qt is a big, big part of the BB10 architecture.

This is a serious issue that you can't just dismiss. If they plan to keep BB10 they will eventually have to get up to date on Qt or find some other framework.

The fact that they let this lapse means they either feel that can't afford to do it now, or they don't care. It's like a car that is in disrepair. Either the owner can't afford the upkeep at the moment. OR she's getting a new car soon and doesn't want to spend more money on the old one.

Why Qt needs upgrade? Microsoft visual studio does not have much update unless there are new Windows coming out.
    08-24-15 06:14 PM
    Why Qt needs upgrade? Microsoft visual studio does not have much update unless there are new Windows coming out.
    Qt isn't a development tool. It is a major framework in the BB10 stack itself.

Imagine if Microsoft stopped investing in WPF. It's actually even worse than that, because Qt includes things even more core than that.

Remember, BB doesn't own Qt. They use it (for quite a bit of stuff!). They seem to be investing in integrating Qt updates on their QNX car platforms, but not on their BB10 devices. What does that tell you?

awindsr likes this.
    08-24-15 06:17 PM
    I think they looked at the trade off, update to Qt5.x and have a virtually empty BlackBerry World, or stick with 4.x and have some semblance of apps. Upgrading to 5 would've made a lot of sense for many reasons but Chen doesn't want to spend cash.

Chen has to start using cash sooner or later on BB10 if he wants BB10 to survive. Otherwise It'll eventually become too old and costly to repair and update. (Think high cost to fix bugs or security holes.)

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer and awindsr like this.
    08-24-15 06:24 PM
    Qt isn't a development tool. It is a major framework in the BB10 stack itself.

Imagine if Microsoft stopped investing in WPF. It's actually even worse than that, because Qt includes things even more core than that.

Remember, BB doesn't own Qt. They use it (for quite a bit of stuff!). They seem to be investing in integrating Qt updates on their QNX car platforms, but not on their BB10 devices. What does that tell you?

Maybe they have something up their sleeves and who knows if they are working on updating Qt? unless you are internal and knows better

#BBFactCheck
    georg4BB likes this.
    08-24-15 06:29 PM
    Maybe they have something up their sleeves and who knows if they are working on updating Qt? unless you are internal and knows better

#BBFactCheck
    Qt development is not internal to BlackBerry at all. BB does not own, or control the development of, Qt. You can read more at qt.io

Unless you are an investor who doesn't want to know anything potentially negative about the companies in which you are investing. In that case, all is well.

awindsr likes this.
    08-24-15 06:31 PM

Chen has to start using cash sooner or later on BB10 if he wants BB10 to survive. Otherwise It'll eventually become too old and costly to repair and update. (Think high cost to fix bugs or security holes.)
    That's the thing. This doesn't appear to be a burning platform strategy. Instead this appears to be a "stop investing in the platform and just let it fall apart slowly while we get the new platform up and running" strategy.

08-24-15 06:36 PM
    Seriously, your posts have pissed me off
    I tried to stay away from the thread today....

I don't even know where to begin to rebuttal your comments.

But I do know one thing after today....

....you deserve the elusive award ....

I would post it, but you would delete this post.

And the day in which a MOD receives the award, is the day I leave.

Thanks

(and goodbye to my other brothers)
    That was funny LOL!

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    bungaboy, 3MIKE and zyben like this.
    08-24-15 06:36 PM
    That's the thing. This doesn't appear to be a burning platform strategy. Instead this appears to be a "stop investing in the platform and just let it fall apart slowly while we get the new platform up and running" strategy.

I agree with this statement and unfortunately, BlackBerry does have a history with such a strategy. Hopefully it works out this time around.

Though, I will keep the light on in case Android vulnerabilities become too much for corporate/government customers to ignore and they convince BlackBerry to resume active BB10 development.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 07:01 PM
    Something BlackBerry won't give up is BBM. It is cross platform and available on all mobile platforms. An interesting article about BBM and commerce from the BlackBerry blog.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/08/...gagement||BBM|

Why on earth would BlackBerry give up on BB10? It is a secure end to end solution. Adopting Android is a business opportunity. BlackBerry might be interesting for new customers and users. This could be the easy way to lure new users. Google already markets Android, no need for BlackBerry to spend money on that. Just make Android devices with the BlackBerry experience. Technically it's not necessary to adopt Android for apps. Google play works on a BB10 Passport (look it up in the forums). Chen is looking for growth. Android devices might do the trick.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry wouldn't give up on BB10 voluntarily. They're just not doing anything with it for the moment. It's in maintenance mode from all indications. In tech, you can't let anything sit in maintenance mode for too long, especially OS development. People want bigger and better and you can't offer that if you aren't actively developing.

Did anyone catch BerryFlow's Upstream #62? . At the end Bla1ze says (around the 45:00 mark) that he hasn't seen any indication of a new OS version or a new device from CB10 downloads.

This is just a case of carriers letting BlackBerry and Microsoft fight it out to see who will be the 3rd ecosystem. Microsoft has the cash to fight on. BlackBerry doesn't. Carriers meanwhile aren't interfering, other than by neglecting to train their staff.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf and Ribes Nigrum like this.
    08-24-15 07:15 PM
113,256 ... 35173518351935203521 ...