View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    The hardware is surely capable I think the processor in the Passport is the same as the one in the Galaxy S5. That said you have to have a way to get it onto the phone which is much harder to do thanks to BlackBerry security .
    Link. Update perhaps lol

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    08-10-15 10:48 AM
    The hardware is surely capable I think the processor in the Passport is the same as the one in the Galaxy S5. That said you have to have a way to get it onto the phone which is much harder to do thanks to BlackBerry security .
    I don't believe it's a problem, BlackBerry has the ability to allow it so long as the software is signed for update, correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 11:30 AM
    08-10-15 11:58 AM
    I don't believe it's a problem, BlackBerry has the ability to allow it so long as the software is signed for update, correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted via CB10
    Yes the hardware could run Android.
    We have no idea if BlackBerry would unlock the hardware to allow it to be done.
    08-10-15 12:05 PM
    08-10-15 12:10 PM
    08-10-15 12:40 PM
    OT: Congrats to fellow HALO longs. Great quarter and higher guidance! Setting up nice. Thanks to M8 again!
    08-10-15 03:22 PM
    I got back in to HALO before the close today. Good to see a pop. Can we get some Berry Pop now??

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    08-10-15 04:12 PM
    https://investor.google.com/releases/2015/0810.html

Good strategy..

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 1 others like this.
    08-10-15 04:26 PM
    Very nice! waiting on SPHS report....man if only this stock can pop like AQXP

OT: Congrats to fellow HALO longs. Great quarter and higher guidance! Setting up nice. Thanks to M8 again!
    La Emperor, Mr BBRY and 3MIKE like this.
    08-10-15 04:34 PM
    OT: (but maybe related?)

Google shocks the world with rebranding and company division.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...brin/31429423/

Interesting is the part about them venturing into Healthcare.
    Does this make BlackBerry a more likely acquisition now?
    awindsr, rarsen and zyben like this.
    08-10-15 04:45 PM
    I don't like Fox news at all but seems like a small interview here with JC, nothing really new here though

BlackBerry CEO Tackles 7 Key Questions | Fox Business

BlackBerry CEO Tackles 7 Key Questions
    Katie Roof

By Katie RoofPublished August 10, 2015FOXBusiness
    Facebook0 Twitter9 Email Print
    Blackberry

(Reuters)

BlackBerry CEO John Chen continues to drive the device maker’s turnaround as he nears his two year anniversary at the helm.

Since taking over in November 2013, Chen has introduced cost-cutting measures while improving profitability. Yet investors still aren’t convinced the progress is sustainable, with shares down 30% this year.

Amid growing competition in the consumer market from Apple (AAPL) and various Android-makers (GOOGL), BlackBerry is shifting its focus to the world of enterprise.

Businesses, governments and hospitals will need to use its devices because of the superior security, the company claims.

FOXBusiness.com asked John Chen about the next stages of BlackBerry’s turnaround strategy and his vision for its viable future.

John Chen, Executive Chairman and CEO, BlackBerry

1. Since you started at BlackBerry in November 2013, your priority has been cutting costs. Now how are you going to grow the top line and what is the next phase of the BlackBerry turnaround?

I laid out a clear plan for our turnaround when I joined BlackBerry in November 2013, and I’m pleased to say that we are executing very well against it: achieve positive free cash flow; stabilize revenue; and then turn our efforts toward growth. We’ve achieved positive free cash flow, and at this stage in our turnaround, are focused on stabilizing revenues. Software and technology licensing is key to this effort, and we are making great progress in these areas.

We continue to lead the industry in areas that are part of BlackBerry’s DNA – including enterprise mobility and security. And an important part of our strategy to extend our leadership is to make important investments in these core areas of our business – both organically and through acquisitions. Over the past year, we’ve made organic investments of well over $100M in our security efforts. And the acquisitions we’ve made are focused on security, privacy and the Internet of Things, and will help to expand our cross-platform software and services business.

We recently announced plans to acquire AtHoc, which extends our reach in mass communication and collaboration and will be beneficial as we expand to connect and secure a range of endpoints. Like our acquisitions of WatchDox, Movirtu and Secusmart, AtHoc will further strengthen our security capabilities, which are unmatched by our competitors. And customers are taking notice.

2. BlackBerry stock is down nearly 30% this year. What are investors missing about BlackBerry?

We’ve made great progress and are now in a healthy financial position but there is, of course, more work to be done. We are at the point now where we’re focused on stabilizing revenue with sustained profitability. We’re concentrating on growth of our core software business and licensing, and have invested heavily in our strength around security with organic investments over the past year.

3. A core strength for BlackBerry is security. Why is BlackBerry the trusted device at the White House and how will you continue to ensure the government and businesses that BlackBerry is the most secure?

Security and privacy continues to be at the forefront of everything we do – it is part of our DNA and our capabilities are unmatched. Global leaders, all of the G7 and 16 of the G20 governments trust us with their mobile communications. Our security platform is proven but we are continuing to innovate to keep data secure and information private. BlackBerry today secures communications end-to-end, from voice, messaging, data and files, and we have our sights set on securing more endpoints that make up the Internet of Things.

4. It seems that BlackBerry is increasing its focus on enterprise right now. Is the consumer business still a priority?

We are focusing on what we do best, and that is security, privacy and enterprise mobility management. One challenge when I took this role was bridging the approach to both the enterprise and consumer markets. We recognize that there are consumers who are dedicated to BlackBerry and have always appreciated the productivity and security that our devices provide. For these users, and those enterprise customers who require the stringent security of our end-to-end offering, we are taking steps to make our handset business profitable.

5. Is it possible that BlackBerry would cease its handset business to focus on software?

Hardware continues to be a valuable part of BlackBerry’s end-to-end platform. That said, there is an incredible opportunity for BlackBerry to capture a greater share of enterprise revenues and service those customers who depend on the enterprise-grade mobility solutions that we provide. We have shifted some resources internally to focus on security and software. And, we will continue to be the choice for individuals who want to get the most out of their smartphones to keep their information protected and maximize their productivity, communication and collaboration.

6. You recently acquired AtHoc and said you are making strategic investments…What other investments are you looking for and can investors expect another acquisition?

BlackBerry’s acquisitions have reflected the strategic growth areas we identified to capitalize on our unique assets and capabilities. We continue to make investments in companies that will help us expand in security, privacy and the Internet of Things. The AtHoc acquisition provides an impressive customer base that aligns with our commitment to serving governments and enterprises in highly regulated industries. Overall, our acquisitions and partnerships allow us to grow, enhance our enterprise portfolio and better serve customers.

7. Could BlackBerry be acquired or would you consider a strategic partner?

BlackBerry is financially stable and on track to meet the aggressive business goals we’ve set for the company. We continue to take the necessary steps to reach our goals, while always looking for opportunities to invest in partnerships and technologies that will help drive our business forward.
    Last edited by slipstream89; 08-10-15 at 04:58 PM.
    08-10-15 04:45 PM
    OT: (but maybe related?)

Google shocks the world with rebranding and company division.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...brin/31429423/

Interesting is the part about them venturing into Healthcare.
    Does this make BlackBerry a more likely acquisition now?
    They've been doing health care related projects for some time. Their involvement in health care has been primarily on research projects vs. HC infrastructure projects, ie. BlackBerry.
    08-10-15 06:30 PM
    They've been doing health care related projects for some time. Their involvement in health care has been primarily on research projects vs. HC infrastructure projects, ie. BlackBerry.
    Yes, but interesting that they are breaking it off into new sub-companies now. That marks a plateau in their Internet business, IMO.

They're looking for growth, going forward, in other verticals. This puts them in the same new race as BlackBerry and makes the two equals (deep pockets aside).

It makes BlackBerry a possible partner/acquisition, as opposed to rival like it has been. Not that I want them to acquire BlackBerry, but a bidding war would be big for BlackBerry's share price and public perception.
    bungaboy, Mr BBRY, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    08-10-15 08:30 PM
    INTz, Alvin Loh, bungaboy and 7 others like this.
    08-10-15 10:39 PM
    http://www.unionmovil.com/empresas-d...ltiplataforma/

Little news but still good news ;-) It seems that BlackBerry is 'regaining' traction in latin america too!

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 02:38 AM
    http://bgr.com/2015/08/10/car-hacks-...e-door-opener/

Summer reading: that's something actually scary and that makes me using my 'key' to open my car again..

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 03:05 AM
    "...Essentially, we�ve discovered a backdoor hidden in recent versions of BlackBerry Password Keeper allowing us to decrypt the content of that app instantly without brute-forcing the master password..."

http://blog.elcomsoft.com/2015/08/bl...eper-backdoor/

Ouch?

Posted via CB10
    sati01, awindsr, jxnb and 1 others like this.
    08-11-15 06:55 AM
    Thanks, leafs! What an outstanding quarter for HALO, as so masterfully predicted by M8. I think we see $25+ this week (today?).

Halozyme Therapeutics revenues up 136% in Q2 - Halozyme Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:HALO) | Seeking Alpha
    08-11-15 08:25 AM
    08-11-15 09:25 AM
    I think we see $25+ this week (today?).
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-halo-chart-8.11.15.png

Called it!
    Shanerredflag and awindsr like this.
    08-11-15 09:57 AM
    OT: Another Android vulnerability found. With all these severe Android vulnerabilities found, I sure hope the slider DOESN'T come with full Android.

Severe deserialization vulnerabilities found in Android and third-party Android SDKs
    Posted on 11 August 2015.
    Closely behind the discoveries of the Stagefright flaw, the hole in Android's mediaserver service that can put devices into a coma, and the Certifi-gate bug, comes that of an Android serialization vulnerability that affects Android versions 4.3 to 5.1 (i.e. over 55 percent of all Android phones).

The bug (CVE-2015-3825), discovered by IBM�s X-Force Application Security Research Team in the OpenSSLX509Certificate class in the Android platform, can be used to turn malicious apps with no privileges into "super" apps that will allow cyber attackers to thoroughly "own" the victim's device.

Or Peles, a researcher with the team, says that the attack technique reminds of the one used by Hacking Team - the fake BeNews app that would take advantage of a privilege escalation hole to make itself able to download and execute code from the Internet (i.e. malware).

In a PoC attack demonstrated by the team in the video embedded below, their malware replaces a real app with a fake one, which allows them to do things like exfiltrate sensitive data from the app.

They also found six third-party Android software development kits (SDKs) that sport arbitrary code execution flaws.

"As opposed to vulnerabilities found in final products, such as operating systems or applications where an automatic update mechanism is usually available, the situation is by far worse for SDKs. One vulnerable SDK can affect dozens of apps whose developers are usually unaware of it, taking months to update," Peles pointed out.

"For example, a recent X-Force study showed that a high-severity vulnerability found in Apache Cordova for Android still affected dozens of Android apps even though it had been patched for months. The situation is most frustrating for apps that use orphan SDKs or ones that no longer receive security updates," he noted, adding that developers should choose their SDKs wisely.

More in-depth technical details about the vulnerabilities are available in this paper the researchers are set to present at USENIX WOOT �15.

The vulnerabilities have been responsibly disclosed to Google and the SDK developers, and they have already been patched.
    Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 10:14 AM
    Unfortunately, what BlackBerry needs is a full on attack of consumer Android devices, that is immediately relevant to the those users.

Basically, the attack needs to take over the phone and put it up for ransom.

Until that time, people will keep consuming junk.

No different than in agriculture, only time you make money is when your competitors region gets a drought, flood or freeze.

It's sad that external forces play larger roles than quality, or value

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 10:23 AM

Called it!
    Okay sorry guys, that's the last time I ever brag. But I did just pick up a block at $22, while the IBB index is weak.
    08-11-15 11:15 AM
    OT: HALO

Damn what a reversal but i'm sure this fall is attributed to people taking profits after a hefty run. Wish my funds weren't tied up elsewhere because HALO at $20 is very attractive

PS: M8 if you not busy any expectations for SPHS?
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    08-11-15 12:30 PM
113,256 ... 35013502350335043505 ...