View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OT.
    Morgan is making an electric 3-wheeler. Awesome!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-morgan-ev3.jpg

BB10 4 ME
    08-08-15 06:08 AM
    I support BlackBerry and I buy SE Passport.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150807_123805.jpg
    08-08-15 06:42 AM
    way to give that website traffic
    way to show that you dont have a sense of humour....
    08-08-15 07:55 AM
    Please don't click the link. Just accepted that they put a picture of an old BlackBerry 9900 in an article about the Silver Passport.

Can't believe NOBODY has commented on that incompetence yet.

Posted via CB10

I believe they just laughed about it. Unbelievable though.
    Funny how their website is titled iSchoolGuide...looks like someone needs to go back to school.
    CDM76, morganplus8 and zyben like this.
    08-08-15 08:02 AM
    I believe they just laughed about it. Unbelievable though.
    Funny how their website is titled iSchoolGuide...looks like someone needs to go back to school.
    Apple bought off the School Boards and Teachers with free hardware and software back in the 1990's and in return the kids were brainwashed into the Cult. It's been bearing fruit (like that pun?) for a decade or more!!!
    08-08-15 08:32 AM
    OT, some leisurely Saturday reading (and video)...Defcon stuff...Android exploited and complete takeover:
    http://www.scmagazine.com/directors-.../section/1543/

Classically Posted.
    08-08-15 08:44 AM
    I support BlackBerry and I buy SE Passport.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150807_123805.jpg 
Views:	1046 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	365847
    I have the adoption papers ready for you to sign....

How many BlackBerry phones in your inventory now? Post that pic again with all those babies!!

(I wish I could get employee pricing on it!!! Can anyone help me with that?)
    bungaboy, CDM76, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    08-08-15 09:55 AM
    I have the adoption papers ready for you to sign....

How many BlackBerry phones in your inventory now? Post that pic again with all those babies!!

(I wish I could get employee pricing on it!!! Can anyone help me with that?)
    Check your PMs.
    BACK-2-BLACK and zyben like this.
    08-08-15 10:10 AM
    Some recent "discussions" about implementing Mobile Security Laws will bode well for the likes of BB...

OT:

http://fortune.com/2015/08/06/europe...-google-cisco/

How a proposed European Union cybersecurity law could impact tech companies

by* Jonathan Vanian @JonathanVanian

An upcoming European Union cyber security law could see companies like Google and Cisco dealing with strict security requirements.

It�s not just China and Russia that are trying to figure out how to deal with big, foreign web companies and Internet service providers doing business in their countries.

An upcoming cybersecurity law brought on by the European Union could see tech giants like Google GOOG -1.15% , Cisco CSCO -0.21% , and Amazon AMZN -1.29% having to comply with strict security requirements, including having to report data breaches to governments that are part of the EU, according to a Reuters report on Thursday.

Under the terms of the Network and Information Security Directive�which was originally proposed by the executive body of the EU in 2013 to counter security threats�cloud computing providers, search companies, and even social networks could be held under the same security requirements as companies operating in industries that the EU deems critical to protect. These could include the energy, transportation, and finance industries.

Apparently, EU members debated whether to lump web companies with companies operating in critical sectors, and ultimately decided to do so with the difference being that web companies would face �less onerous security obligations,� although it�s unclear what those obligations are, the report states.

Reuters reports that under the terms of the law, if a cloud computing provider or other Internet service provider does business with a company operating in a critical sector, the web companies would essentially be subject to the same security rules as their clients.

�We�re pleased to see digital service platforms subject to a different regime but we�re disappointed at the lack of recognition that it is the use of cloud that determines the security risk not the service itself,� Cisco senior manager of government affairs Chris Gow told Reuters.

The Reuters report notes that the details of the law are still subject to change, and countries in the EU will meet in September to discuss before the �drafting of a full legal text will start.�

The EU directive comes at a time when countries like Russia and China have created their own cybersecurity laws that could potentially impact the way foreign web companies conduct business outside of their home turf.

An upcoming Russia security law basically calls for foreign companies to set up data centers in Russia if they want to do business in Russia in which Russian data is being used. Google reportedly moved some of its servers into the data centers of Russian telecom Rostelecom to comply with the law.

China�s draft cybersecurity law also echoes Russia�s security law with foreign companies having to store Chinese data within China, although special exemptions could mean that it�s a case-by-case situation depending on the company involved.

Web companies and Internet service providers operating in China will also face stiffer security requirements, such as aiding the Chinese government with criminal or national security investigations. They may even have to let authorities annually audit them to determine if there are security risks the Chinese government would like to know about.
    08-08-15 01:41 PM
    http://bizblog.blackberry.com/2015/0...x-even-better/

How BES12 and Samsung Are Teaming Up To Make KNOX Even Better

08.06.15 / Luke Reimer

Milk and cookies. Chips and salsa. Marge and Homer. BlackBerry BES12 and Samsung KNOX. Okay, so that last couple might not be as well-known as the others, at least not yet. However, last month�s release of BES12.2 brings additional support for Samsung KNOX, as you can find out in the new webinar Better Together: Samsung KNOX Management with BES12.

The news is a potential boon to tens of millions of users of Samsung KNOX-enabled phones. It�s also a win for IT departments that use BlackBerry BES12 to manage all their employee devices, including Samsung�s.

Here�s what�s happening: KNOX, of course, is Samsung�s more secure version of Android that comes built into select Samsung Galaxy smartphones and tablets. KNOX includes several security features that the regular Android OS lacks, including a type of containerization that shields work apps behind a partitioned part of the phone�s interface and requires a password to enter.

With the new implementation of KNOX under BlackBerry�s BES12 enterprise mobility management software platform, KNOX devices will now be even more secure. For instance, KNOX alone offers only encrypted data at rest. BES12 adds encrypted data in transit, which rounds out KNOX�s encryption capabilities and brings the security of KNOX-enabled Samsung Galaxy devices up to the highest level required by government agencies and other regulated industries. That means more flexibility in work smartphones for users and their regulated organizations alike. Big changes are coming to the KNOX interface, as well.

BES: One Console For All Devices

Bringing KNOX into the BES fold gives enterprises yet another reason to choose BES12 to manage all their mobile devices. BES gives administrators a single software console to oversee and securely manage all types of devices in addition to BlackBerry devices: iOS, Windows Phone, Android and now an improved Samsung KNOX. One console lessens the complexity of mobile oversight for companies because they don�t have to use multiple servers and interfaces to manage different types of devices. Companies can control access to sensitive corporate data and wipe it in emergencies without touching users� personal information on BYOD smartphones.

That�s key: as the webcast notes, BYOD smartphone shipments will outstrip COBO (corporate owned business only) smartphones in 2018 by 22.6% with 333.1 million units compared with just 149.7 million.

BlackBerry offers two tiers of KNOX licenses for BES12: KNOX (Silver) and KNOX Workspace (Gold). BlackBerry recommends the Silver-tier for BYOD or COPE (corporate owned personally enabled) environments that want basic mobile device management (MDM) and mobile application management (MAM) tools. This level lets IT install or remove work apps silently, wipe enterprise data remotely, and apply device-wide policies. Users get instant access to work apps via an administrator.

The Gold-tier KNOX Workspace offers all this and more security; BlackBerry recommends it for regulated COBO enterprises. This tier gives you data encryption in transit, work and personal data separation, and a workspace-only mode IT can implement.

Want to know if your users� Samsung devices are covered by the new BES12 implementation? Here�s a partial list: Galaxy S6, S5, S4, S3, and the Galaxy Note Edge, Note 4, Note 3, and Note 2. View the webcast for a full list and try the new KNOX version of BES12 for free at blackberry.com/bes12.

CDM76, bungaboy, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    08-08-15 01:49 PM
    Android-based BlackBerry Venice to be launched by T-Mobile

Android-based BlackBerry Venice to be launched by T-Mobile

Posted: 08 Aug 2015, 17:53, by Florin T

BlackBerry Venice is the codename of an unannounced smartphone that should be one of BlackBerry's first devices to run Android. Not long ago, we heard that the Venice should be available at some point via AT&T. Now, @evleaks has it that the new handset is also going to be sold by T-Mobile (though there's no word on exactly when this should happen).

According to previous rumors, BlackBerry is planning to announce the Venice in November. We've already seen renders reportedly showing the new handset, and you can check them out for yourself in the slideshow below.

The BlackBerry Venice is supposed to be a high-end slider with a full QWERTY keyboard, and a 5.4-inch Quad HD (1440 x 2560 pixels) display that seems to be slightly curved at the edges - similar to the screen of the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge. Other features might include a six-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 processor, a 18 MP rear camera, a 5 MP front-facing camera, and 3 GB of RAM.

What do you think of the BlackBerry Venice thus far? Can it stand next to other high-end Android phones?

Mr BBRY, bungaboy, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    08-08-15 10:40 PM
    BlackBerry ?Venice? slider leak reveals 18MP OIS camera, textured back | MobileSyrup.com

BlackBerry �Venice� slider leak reveals 18MP OIS camera, textured back

Ian Hardy
    August 8, 2015 7:24pm

During Mobile World Congress in March, BlackBerry said it would be launching a QWERTY slider device that features a �dual-curved display,� and the latest leak confirms one of its rumoured specs.

According to reputable device leaker @Evleaks, BlackBerry will release the QWERTY slider, currently known by the codename of Venice, with an 18MP OIS (optical image stabilizer) �Fast Focus� rear camera with dual LED flash. The image appeared on Twitter but was quickly deleted for some reason. The back of the Venice seems to have a stainless steel frame and the same diamond patterned back found on the Passport Silver Edition.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-cl6zrskw8aagbye.jpg

No other details were listed, but previous rumours hinted that the upcoming BlackBerry slider will run Android and feature a 5.4-inch 2560�1440 pixel display, 5MP front-facing camera, 1.8 GHz Snapdragon 808 processor and 3GB RAM.
    Mr BBRY, bungaboy, zyben and 3 others like this.
    08-08-15 10:43 PM
    OT... makes me think that at some point, there will be one standard language to write apps... shared by every platform

Apple hiring software engineers to ?bring exciting new mobile products? to Android | PPP Focus

Apple hiring software engineers to �bring exciting new mobile products� to Android

We have known for a while now that Apple is open to bringing iOS apps to Android. As everyone knows, Android is shared by several smartphones in the market, companies such as Samsung and LG to name a few, but Apple�s iOS, who nearly had half of the entire market is a lone ranger in the department. Apple, on the other hand, has never been really interested in making certain versions of its apps available on Android.

Apple�s iPhone�s, nearly since they first launched, have always been at least one or two generations behind current Android flagships. Ditto for giving users access to higher amounts of memory and more control over their handset�s system settings � something that has still yet to happen in iOS. They compare both Android and iOS.

IPhone users are more likely to pick London as a destination over their Android counterparts. The iPhone 6 is though a continuous seller.

A lawsuit alleging that Apple mishandles the text messages of people who switch from an iPhone to an Android smartphone can�t proceed as a class-action case.

Apple�s iPhone, according to AppleInsider, gained the US platform share at the expense of Android, Windows, and Blackberry.

Apple is said to be launching their latest iOS 9 this coming fall and iPhones will be officially �all grown up.�iOS 9 is said to be providing a better service, handy information based on your location, time, your contacts and recent activities�.
    Mr BBRY, CDM76, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    08-08-15 11:00 PM
    OT... makes me think that at some point, there will be one standard language to write apps... shared by every platform
    It's not a question of the language. That's the easy part of picking up a new platform. The part that takes much more time is learning the subtleties of the APIs, frameworks, and features of each platform and how to use them effectively.

Even if iOS supported Java or Android supported Swift, that wouldn't mean you can magically make apps which work on both, unless you do what Microsoft is trying to do now (actually emulating iOS APIs on Windows)

We'll see if Microsoft's approach will work. But when Apple says they are recruiting Android developers, they mean actual Android developers to make actual real Android apps for the most popular mobile OS on earth.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    08-09-15 12:06 AM
    Even if iOS supported Java or Android supported Swift, that wouldn't mean you can magically make apps which work on both, unless you do what Microsoft is trying to do now (actually emulating iOS APIs on Windows)
    Isn't this what BlackBerry did with Android? Didn't seem to work out very well did it? I don't run any Android apps, but didn't some android app developers still block their apps from BlackBerry world and Amazon even though the apps ran perfectly or "well"?

Posted via CB10
    08-09-15 01:05 AM
    Isn't this what BlackBerry did with Android? Didn't seem to work out very well did it? I don't run any Android apps, but didn't some android app developers still block their apps from BlackBerry world and Amazon even though the apps ran perfectly or "well"?

Posted via CB10
    From a technology perspective, what MS is doing is much more ambitious. They aren't lifting some big part of iOS and running it inside windows (they can't obviously). Instead they are providing their own implementation of many iOS features such that we can *almost* build a new version of our apps which run natively in windows with little effort. I'm not sure their approach will actually work well or that Apple won't take it to court. We'll see.

I had a Passport for a while. I'll just say that CB people think Android apps run perfectly well in BB10. My experience was quite different. I found the ones I wanted didn't run without some time consuming hunting and patching dance, and even the ones that did work ran poorly when compared to other android phones. We blocked our own apps from running on BB10 for this reason. The experience was unacceptable in our opinion (and we even got a few support calls about this)

We'll see if MSFT does better. Their approach does require participation from app developers, which may be too hard still.

My point, though, was that the programming language itself (Java v swift v C#) is only one small part of the barrier between platforms. We move developers between our android and iOS teams often. It's takes days to get comfortable with swift or Java. It takes months to get comfortable with the differences in APIs and frameworks.

Last edited by app_Developer; 08-09-15 at 05:16 PM.
    08-09-15 07:32 AM
    From a technology perspective, what MS is doing is much more ambitious. They aren't lifting some big part of iOS and running it inside windows (they can't obviously). Instead they are providing their own implementation of many iOS features such that we can *almost* build a new version of our apps which run natively in windows with little effort. I'm not sure their approach will actually work well or that Apple won't take it to court. We'll see.

I had a Passport for a while. I'll just say that CB people think Android apps run perfectly well in BB10. My experience was quite different. I found the ones I wanted didn't run without some time consuming hunting and patching dance, and even the ones that did work ran poorly when compared to other android phones. We blocked our own apps from running on BB10 for this reason. The experience was unacceptable in our opinion (and we even got a few support calls about this)

We'll see if MSFT does better. Their approach does require participation from app developers, which may be too hard still.

My point, though, was that the programming language itself (Java v swift v C#) is only one small part of the barrier between platforms. We move developers between our android and iOS teams often. It's takes days to get comfortable with swift or Java. It takes months to get comfortable with the differences in APIs and frameworks.

Do you have examples of Android apps NOT running well?
    I have many on my passport and they work great, I have nothing to compare to though.

Sometimes I wonder if it is just easier to use excuses to get out of situations people don't want to be in, in the first place.

I would still prefer a BB10 OS that somehow someway gets Google services. That would pretty much eliminate the APP gap

I don't know how BlackBerry could make this arrangement, but it would definitely sell more devices.

We all know BlackBerry has a new revenue stream coming online, but what easier way to make money than sell more of its current or already developed devices. Simply put, if they figured out a way to sell twice as many of the same device, that would ne huge for the bottom line until the other revenue picks up

It's that vicious circle of sentiment that makes or breaks them. Having more and more devices out in the wild will breathe new life into the BlackBerry sentiment, and in turn boost the confidence of the big purchasers that BlackBerry is back

No matter what OS the BlackBerry runs, they need their name out there.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76, bungaboy, zyben and 1 others like this.
    08-10-15 06:40 AM
    Do you have examples of Android apps NOT running well?
    I have many on my passport and they work great, I have nothing to compare to though.

Sometimes I wonder if it is just easier to use excuses to get out of situations people don't want to be in, in the first place.

I would still prefer a BB10 OS that somehow someway gets Google services. That would pretty much eliminate the APP gap

I don't know how BlackBerry could make this arrangement, but it would definitely sell more devices.

We all know BlackBerry has a new revenue stream coming online, but what easier way to make money than sell more of its current or already developed devices. Simply put, if they figured out a way to sell twice as many of the same device, that would ne huge for the bottom line until the other revenue picks up

It's that vicious circle of sentiment that makes or breaks them. Having more and more devices out in the wild will breathe new life into the BlackBerry sentiment, and in turn boost the confidence of the big purchasers that BlackBerry is back

No matter what OS the BlackBerry runs, they need their name out there.

Posted via CB10
    If you compare an android app with one on an android phone, the difference is huge, no lag, no bugginess no crashing, no phone heating up, no severe battery drain, etc. Pick up an android phone and try it out.

Posted via CB10
    sati01 likes this.
    08-10-15 08:05 AM
    OT:
    HTC Trading Below Cash Leaves Smartphone Brand With No Value - Bloomberg Business

A 60 percent plunge in HTC Corp.’s stock this year pushed its market value to below its cash on hand. That means investors were effectively saying the smartphone maker’s brand, factories and buildings were worthless.
    08-10-15 08:25 AM
    "HTC Trading Below Cash Leaves Smartphone Brand With No Value" - http://bloom.bg/1N27PhO

‎A 60 percent plunge in HTC Corp.�s stock this year pushed its market value to below its cash on hand. That means investors were effectively saying the smartphone maker�s brand, factories and buildings were worthless.

... and HTC accomplished this in less than 5mths! And ppl are still stating 'BlackBerry is dead'??!! Really now? BlackBerry took 1.5yrs to get less than half their stock shares and are not relying on just one product to evolve out of the pit, HTC only has 1! 1!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-10-15 08:52 AM
    Corbu is back !!!
    ( hope you had a nice time off )
    08-10-15 09:01 AM
    QNX Neutrino OS: Far from the Hack. #BBFactCheck is setting the record straight for Seeking Alpha. | Inside BlackBerry

By now, you have likely seen the headlines on WIRED and other media outlets about the remote exploitation of a vehicle infotainment system. In summary, two security researchers were able to leverage a vulnerability in the system and take over the vehicle’s dashboard functions, steering, transmission, and brakes.

Since the exploit came to light, a formal recall has been issued for 1.4 million vehicles that may be affected by the vulnerability, it looks like a class-action lawsuit is on the way, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is apparently studying the issue, with a report to come.

More recently, however, the website Seeking Alpha has published its own story on the matter, which speculates on BlackBerry’s role. While the legal complaint is directed at the vehicle manufacturer and the maker of the infotainment system, the operating system used is the QNX Neutrino OS supplied by QNX Software Systems, a subsidiary of BlackBerry. So, the article asks, is the hack a vulnerability of QNX technology?

We can state unequivocally that it is not.

The QNX Neutrino OS has been deployed in more than 60 million vehicles and field-proven in a host of mission-critical and safety-critical applications. In any computing architecture, the OS can play a key role in enabling reliability and security. An infotainment system such as the one in question has several software components in addition to an OS. The security of such a system is only as strong as the weakest link. In this particular case, the vulnerability came about through certain architecture and software components that are unrelated to the QNX Neutrino OS.

Further, the two security researchers who uncovered the vulnerability have clearly demonstrated that the weakness exploited is not due to the QNX Neutrino OS.

Finally, and perhaps most important, the automaker, the infotainment system supplier and the cellular carrier that connects these vehicles to the Internet have already implemented measures to block unauthorized entry to affected systems.

Connected cars are the future, and BlackBerry is proud to play a leading role in this exciting field through QNX and BlackBerry IoT.
    08-10-15 09:02 AM
    I finally purchased a Classic AND an SE Passport! Supporting the BlackBerry cause!

Out of curiosity, does anyone think it is plausible that existing devices such as the Passport running BB10 will be able to be upgraded via a software update to Android if BlackBerry does indeed decide to adopt the platform? I prefer BB10 but was just wondering if this would even be possible for existing BB10 devices.

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    08-10-15 10:11 AM
    I finally purchased a Classic AND an SE Passport! Supporting the BlackBerry cause!

Out of curiosity, does anyone think it is plausible that existing devices such as the Passport running BB10 will be able to be upgraded via a software update to Android if BlackBerry does indeed decide to adopt the platform? I prefer BB10 but was just wondering if this would even be possible for existing BB10 devices.

Hmm, 'upgrade' to Android is kinda self-contradictory, isn't it?
    zyben, Mr BBRY, ZayDub and 2 others like this.
    08-10-15 10:19 AM

The hardware is surely capable I think the processor in the Passport is the same as the one in the Galaxy S5. That said you have to have a way to get it onto the phone which is much harder to do thanks to BlackBerry security .
    08-10-15 10:35 AM
113,256 ... 35003501350235033504 ...