View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Gas prices made us decide on a Prius a few years ago.

Gas prices have made my current F-150 my first and last F-150. I might go midsized truck or small SUV. (we need something bigger than a Prius). Basically, I am considering a vehicle that can tow a trailer when needed. The Jeep Wrangler is getting a redesign in 2 years so I might get that. It's getting a lot of fuel economy fixes.

I'm not sure that I am a complainer though. I am accepting of my high priced gas overlords. And I am making a change going forward to make things better for my wallet and the environment.
    Same here, am trading my F150 for a Ram ecodiesel. Done lots of research. Fuel economy is hard to beat for a light duty truck, with around 8000 lbs in towing capacity...

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 12:37 PM
    Nanthealth is all over the news. Blackberrry's partnership with them is golden with the Passport at the front and center..

Blurring Boundaries Between Biotech, Digital Health, Patient Care Show Need For Regulatory Reform - Forbes
    07-29-15 01:15 PM
    Gas prices made us decide on a Prius a few years ago.

Gas prices have made my current F-150 my first and last F-150. I might go midsized truck or small SUV. (we need something bigger than a Prius). Basically, I am considering a vehicle that can tow a trailer when needed. The Jeep Wrangler is getting a redesign in 2 years so I might get that. It's getting a lot of fuel economy fixes.

I'm not sure that I am a complainer though. I am accepting of my high priced gas overlords. And I am making a change going forward to make things better for my wallet and the environment.
    Cant say the same..... yet (still feel it is years away)

In my neck of the woods, when comparing similar looking vehicles.......base level MSRP between Prius vs lets say, Civic 4dr DX... is still like $10K difference.

That buys me alooooooooooot of gas !!
    Shanerredflag and awindsr like this.
    07-29-15 01:31 PM
    Nanthealth is all over the news. Blackberrry's partnership with them is golden with the Passport at the front and center..

Blurring Boundaries Between Biotech, Digital Health, Patient Care Show Need For Regulatory Reform - Forbes
    I wonder how much BlackBerry really owns of nanthealth

Posted via CB10
    lech31 and CDM76 like this.
    07-29-15 01:59 PM

I believe the Work-Life feature would come in handy for this scenario, being able to see time and usage of company phone usage... that is, work related usage only, having a separate line with WorkLife

Interesting Class Action lawsuit :

Should Workers Get Overtime For After-Hours Emails?

"Jeffrey Allen would answer his work BlackBerry during Thanksgiving dinner, during his son's soccer match, on any number of Saturday afternoons.

The phone would buzz with work-related texts, emails and calls from the time he woke until he headed to bed — and, with it always in reach, he would respond.

"I just saw it as part of the job," said Allen, 51, a Chicago police sergeant.

But it was not a part of the job he was paid for, Allen alleges in a class action lawsuit against the city of Chicago filed five years ago that heads to trial next month. He and about 50 officers who have joined the suit seek overtime pay for off-duty hours spent monitoring and responding to work emails and phone calls on their company-issued mobile devices.

Anyone familiar with the ping of a late-night email, a weekend call from a boss or a mid-dinner glance at a text message has felt the inescapability of work in the age of smartphones. But while constant connectedness has become the norm, it has also become a source of overtime litigation.

Attorneys say that could increase under a proposal from the Obama administration to make millions more salaried Americans eligible for overtime, including many in managerial positions.

"As managers, they are more likely to be checking in during off hours," said Phillip Schreiber, a Chicago-based employment lawyer at Holland & Knight who represents businesses and is not involved in the police suit.

The new overtime rule proposed by the U.S. Department of Labor last month would raise to $50,440 the minimum salary an employee must make before he or she can be classified as exempt from overtime, which would be up from $23,660. The government estimates that would extend overtime pay to nearly 5 million salaried workers in a range of professions, from store managers to staff accountants, who currently are exempt under "white collar" provisions.

"In addition to having a policy, you have to have training," Schreiber said. "And you don't penalize employees who don't respond to emails or texts off hours, because they're not supposed to."

In response to overtime concerns, the Labor Department plans to seek public comment next month on the use of smartphones to work off hours and could subsequently propose a new rule or guidance on the topic.

Allen's case could be a cautionary tale for employers. Allen felt he had found his calling when he was assigned to supervise a money laundering team in the organized crime unit. He didn't mind the extra hours he put in on his department-issued BlackBerry because it was a prestigious post with opportunity for promotion, and he was driven to succeed, he said.

An hourly employee, he was eligible for overtime but never filed for it in relation to BlackBerry use, as it was implicitly understood in the unit that that wasn't done, he said.

But when Allen was transferred from the bureau to a district job with lesser status, the payoff of prestige and potential career advancement that motivated him to be available at all times evaporated, he said. His attorneys have calculated that during one 28-day period he spent 12 hours on his BlackBerry on off-duty work-related phone calls — not including reading and responding to emails.

"I could not have done the seizures or the work I did without the BlackBerry," said Allen, who is now a tactical sergeant. "But I need to be compensated now for the time that I put in, because the consideration that I was intending them to give me was taken away from me."

One of his attorneys, Paul Geiger, said the case is simply about paying officers for the work they do.

"The ones in the elite units are absolutely expected to work part of the time for free, and that's illegal," Geiger said.

A Chicago city spokesman said the lawsuit is without merit and that the department "has an established and utilized process for officers to request and receive overtime compensation."

Because many such cases were settled, getting a judgment could mean Allen v. Chicago sets a precedent for overtime lawsuits related to smartphones, said Laura Bacon, a Chicago-based employment lawyer with Nixon Peabody focused on advising clients on commercial litigation and labor issues.

The emphasis on overtime vigilance comes as employees also increasingly seek flexible work arrangements, which often rely heavily on smartphones for working remotely — time that can be difficult to accurately record, Bacon said.

That's not to say every glance at the work phone rings up a bill. Some off-duty actions, like taking 30 seconds to scan a two-line email or a minute to answer a phone call, can be deemed so trivial that a court won't consider it.

But taking 10 minutes to read a memo can be overtime-worthy, and if the boss is one to pepper you with 40 short emails in a day, it can add up. Employers have to figure out how to track employees' smartphone usage when they're not on the clock so that they can compensate them appropriately.

"It's naive to think no one is going to check their email after work," said Douglas Hass, a Chicago-based employment lawyer with Franczek Radelet P.C.

Kelly Goldsmith, assistant professor of marketing at Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management, believes the solution lies not in technology but in a company's culture.

"If you really want to shut down the workaholics, you have to do it firm-wide by setting that example," she said."
    Last edited by BACK-2-BLACK; 07-29-15 at 02:15 PM.
    07-29-15 02:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    ....believe I read somewhere that BB invested $400 million into Nanthealth....
    07-29-15 02:02 PM
    sp at $8 wohoo
    I was actually going to buy more in the low 7s, but MS was 36 hours early on their revision. .

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 02:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, and how does the ROI get realized? Did the funds go toward IPO of stock? Would be nice to hear about this at next ER.

I realize that BlackBerry is dancing on eggshells with all the FUD from the usual (naughty-naughty) mob, so it will most likely be after the stock reaches a proper level before master Chen feels comfortable with being a tad more transparent.
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 07-29-15 at 09:01 PM.
    3MIKE and bungaboy like this.
    07-29-15 03:00 PM
    ....believe I read somewhere that BB invested $400 million into Nanthealth....
    I taught it was $100 Million......

Did find an article that said NantHealth had raised $320 Million from a number of contributors... the largest being Kuwait Investment with $250 of that $320. Which brought the total amount of funding so far to just above $400 Million (Oct 2014)

NantHealth raises $320M, including $250M more from Kuwait Investment Authority | mobihealthnews

NantHealth raised $320 million in a round led by Kuwait Investment Authority (KIA) with participation from Verizon, Celgene, BlackBerry, and Blackstone. KIA contributed $250 million to the round, according to Nant. This brings the company’s total funding to north of $400 million.

KIA also invested $100 million in NantHealth earlier this year — in May. BlackBerry’s investment in the company was announced in April.
    But I don't think anyone has ever really said what the "deal" between NantHealth and BlackBerry was.... Financial? or Technology?

Either way it should work to BlackBerry's favor.
    07-29-15 03:07 PM
    Yes...100 million rings a bell.

Classically Posted.
    07-29-15 03:49 PM
    [WARN]Neither using a word ensnared by the language filter, nor modifying a word to avoid said filter is acceptable.

Let's keep it family friendly folks! Thanks [/WARN]
    CDM76, Soumaila Somtore and zyben like this.
    07-29-15 03:50 PM
    Rock Star Turned Renaissance Man Works Creatively with BlackBerry (Pictures)

Attachment 364632

Rock Star Turned Renaissance Man Works Creatively with BlackBerry (Pictures) | Inside BlackBerry
    �People in my family have an iPhone. For me, it�s just impossible to type on it and be fluid,� said McKagan. �It�s kind of like trying to play this cheap guitar and not being able to finger the thing. That�s what an iPhone is to me. My BlackBerry, meanwhile, is an instrument tuned for what I need to do.

Nice analogy. Well said.
    We would have needed a translator if Ozzy said this.
    I didn't realize McKagan had so dramatically turned his life around.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 04:30 PM
    OT: Looks like Nanthealth's partner Allscript lost the DoD bid...........but wait. An appeal is to be expected as per article.

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...NEWS/150729824
    07-29-15 04:38 PM
    not sure if this was posted already..

CSO David Kleidermacher presentation at BlackBerry Security Summit 2015

zyben, morganplus8, 3MIKE and 3 others like this.
    07-29-15 04:56 PM
    I taught it was $100 Million......

Did find an article that said NantHealth had raised $320 Million from a number of contributors... the largest being Kuwait Investment with $250 of that $320. Which brought the total amount of funding so far to just above $400 Million (Oct 2014)

NantHealth raises $320M, including $250M more from Kuwait Investment Authority | mobihealthnews

But I don't think anyone has ever really said what the "deal" between NantHealth and BlackBerry was.... Financial? or Technology?

Either way it should work to BlackBerry's favor.
    Yes i think that is right, don't think the actual BB amount was disclosed...
    at the time when they (Nanthealth) publicized the info, they mentioned a total of $400 mil from a few investors.. . BB being one of them.
    awindsr, zyben and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    07-29-15 05:03 PM
    OT
    That QNX lady is getting pimped !

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150729_163445.jpg

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 05:19 PM
    07-29-15 05:47 PM
    �People in my family have an iPhone. For me, it�s just impossible to type on it and be fluid,� said McKagan. �It�s kind of like trying to play this cheap guitar and not being able to finger the thing. That�s what an iPhone is to me. My BlackBerry, meanwhile, is an instrument tuned for what I need to do.

Nice analogy. Well said.
    We would have needed a translator if Ozzy said this.
    I didn't realize McKagan had so dramatically turned his life around.

Posted via CB10
    I met him 20 years ago at a restaurant in Los Angeles. He was super friendly and gracious.
    07-29-15 06:00 PM
    OT: for those following POET...what's dropped the stock 30%? I did get in to SW last week as I think it will have a decent ER...enough to recover a bit more anyways.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY likes this.
    07-29-15 07:28 PM
    07-29-15 07:35 PM
    Cant say the same..... yet (still feel it is years away)

In my neck of the woods, when comparing similar looking vehicles.......base level MSRP between Prius vs lets say, Civic 4dr DX... is still like $10K difference.

That buys me alooooooooooot of gas !!
    Some people treat hybrids as a feature they want just like a stereo upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 08:41 PM

I believe the Work-Life feature would come in handy for this scenario, being able to see time and usage of company phone usage... that is, work related usage only, having a separate line with WorkLife

Interesting Class Action lawsuit :

Should Workers Get Overtime For After-Hours Emails?
    [/I]
    Thanks for the article. This will definitely be a big thing in the future. The only problem I have is that many other companies will likely also come up with similar solutions as WorkLife. If Apple does, it will be the most innovative thing of all time....again. Hopefully popularity picks up before the competition catches up so BlackBerry can gain the recognition (and revenue) that they deserve.

As a side note, can you please not highlight in yellow? It is unreadable for any of us using dark theme on CB10. Thanks!
    3_M4N likes this.
    07-29-15 09:49 PM
    Thanks for the article. This will definitely be a big thing in the future. The only problem I have is that many other companies will likely also come up with similar solutions as WorkLife. If Apple does, it will be the most innovative thing of all time....again. Hopefully popularity picks up before the competition catches up so BlackBerry can gain the recognition (and revenue) that they deserve.

As a side note, can you please not highlight in yellow? It is unreadable for any of us using dark theme on CB10. Thanks!
    Good already has a similar solution...

https://www1.good.com/about/press-re...free-byod.html

Posted via CB10
    sati01 likes this.
    07-29-15 11:24 PM
    Samsung reports disappointing earnings (stock down about 4%) see link below, also they will adjust downward their pricing of the Samsung Galaxy
    Samsung Electronics Co Ltd (005930.KS) Quote| Reuters.com

Samsung Electronics posted second-quarter earnings today in line with its own predictions: the company's net profit fell eight percent year-on-year to 5.75 trillion won ($4.93 billion) on sales of 48.5 trillion won ($41.7 billion), down seven percent from last year. And even though Samsung recorded a slight quarter-on-quarter improvement, the company says the launch of its flagship Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge phones had a "quite marginal" impact with low shipments and increased marketing spend.
    Samsung says its mobile division expects a "difficult business environment" in the second half of the year, but plans to keep up sales momentum by "adjusting the price" of the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, along with introducing some new high-end phone models — likely the Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge Plus. Samsung is holding an Unpacked event in New York City on August 13th, meaning we'll see its bigger phones a little earlier this year than usual.

Samsung will 'adjust' Galaxy S6 pricing after disappointing earnings | The Verge

and one more
    Samsung misjudged the demand for its flagship phone
    http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/29/inve...alaxy-6s-edge/
    07-30-15 12:39 AM
    Another potential client of QNX. These guys are involved in a super-deluxe anti-everything weapon, but forget to secure it properly:

TrackingPoint's computer-augmented rifle sights, better known as the ShotView targeting system, have set off a wave of controversy and debate since they first debuted in 2014. That debate is about to get even hotter now that security researchers Runa Sandvik and Michael Auger have shown Wired a way to break into the rifle and shut it down or, even worse, change the target to the hacker's choosing.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/29/h...get+(Engadget)

And this.
    Now we see some of the fruit from the QNX factory Volkswagen bought off BlackBerry:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/29/v...get+(Engadget)
    07-30-15 01:14 AM
113,256 ... 34883489349034913492 ...