702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    07-27-15 12:48 PM
    OT: MOBL
    Q2 Earnings this Thursday

Jul 30, 2015
    5:30 AM PT

Will be interesting to see revenue after Q1 bloodbath.
    For the record, they now have a whopping 18 patents.
    07-27-15 12:52 PM
    This confuses me.

In a free marketplace they can charge what the market can bear. No?
    You are correct.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, sidhuk and rarsen like this.
    07-27-15 01:03 PM
    Because they can would be price fixing if that is not the true cost with reasonable profits and taxes.

Posted via CB10
    Price fixing doesn't necessarily have anything to do with reasonable profits.

You would have to show conspiracy or coercion between market participants on selling side of the trade.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, sidhuk, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    07-27-15 01:06 PM
    Actually, not your thoughts at all. Your message has been echoed a dozen or more times here, just in case you are new.
    07-27-15 01:10 PM
    Actually, not your thoughts at all. Your message has been echoed a dozen or more times here, just in case you are new.
    Huh? LoL
    07-27-15 01:14 PM
    Blackberry services can be continued on providing access: PTA

ISLAMABAD - PTA on Sunday said that all the Black Berry services, including Enterprise Services (BES) would continue in Pakistan, if the cellular companies provide law enforcing agencies access to its BES services.

However, the sources confirmed that if companies comply with government demand, its BES services would be allowed to continue.
    They could have just summarized with simple words:
    White House use of BES12 = Good PR for and good use of BlackBerry.
    ISIS use of BES12 = bad.
    07-27-15 01:16 PM
    Likely they are reacting to his comments that the turnaround is taking longer than expected... now 12-18 months... In any event, they were late to react on devices.. they should of focused only on one high end quality device which garnered great reviews, than waste resources, and weaken the Brand, by rolling out devices like LEAP, poor man's CLASSIC, etc

... now they are coming around to this strategic reality..as stock gets hammered

... hopefully the Slider "Venice" is that unique, captivating, distinctive device and the partnership with Samsung will show great results. It is critical that this device is a WiNNER!

Wish they would just focus on one high end stunning "professional" device per year and start to regain that reputation on the device side... While they continue to build on the security and software services side portfolio.

... this could be their formula to get the BlackBerry Brand back....and revenues and profits up...

... no more mid tier or low end devices, please!!!

Posted via CB10

World,

Generally speaking, I have mixed feelings about your post.....

w.r.t. a device

Yes, it would be nice to come out with a good seller, to buffer the revenue gap and have solid ERs (I think that is what you were thinking) ....especially now that the outlook for software gain has been extended....but honestly, don't think a device should bring back the brand.

If you look at all the powerhouse manufacturers...they are all struggling for the home run sales...too many players in a common platform.

As for Apple, no one nowadays(and for a while now) raves about the device, they just mention the eco system...the device is just a byproduct (hence the lack luster specs). People are just locked in, or feel locked in, to their system. So as JC put it, they have done well with their eco system.

If anything, I hope their software offerings are adaptable to many platforms and bring the security aspect to these platforms as the competitive advantage in order to bring the brand (and mindset) back.

Software Mobile Security for BlackBerry should be their eco system equivalent...
    Last edited by BACK-2-BLACK; 07-27-15 at 01:32 PM.
    La Emperor, bungaboy and 3MIKE like this.
    07-27-15 01:22 PM
    Huh? LoL
    His message did not show in reply, because he greyed the original message out.

Don't be confused, it may be troll tactic #110.

Jk.
    07-27-15 01:28 PM
    I'm ready to make another huge investment with Blackberry.
    In the last two years, I have increased my share count by about 25% selling call options and buying shares with the proceeds. I haven't thought about adding shares with actual cash until now.
    Here are my reasons:
    Shorts have brought the price down to a nice discount.
    Blackberry is well diversified (WatchDox, Movirtu, QNX, BES MDM, IOT, Medical, Auto...)
    Cash and acquisitions are growing.
    The need for privacy and security has never been greater. Huge companies like Sony, Target, AshleyMadison can be brought down to their knees and face extinction after a breach. Are people listening now?
    The market has valued Blackberry assets at almost nothing. (Take away cash and we're take $1-2 per share for the rest)

Blackberry has been dragged down by hardware since BB7. Even with 10 Million+ unit sales a quarter, hardware margins have been near zero. We have been spoiled with so many models (keyboards, slate, passport, sliders..). Competitors like Apple 1-2 phones a year in the same form factor and they are doing fine.

I would like Blackberry to stay in the hardware game but they should be charging a premium for all devices and there is no need to update each model every year. For example, we can have the slider this year and an updated Classic next year.. Also, a well made and secure Blackberry should only be sold at a premium. Governments and enterprises that require security have no other alternative. $699 is how much a Blackberry should cost, not a $200 like a hackable(through SMS) MotoG.

I am also worried about a severe global downturn. I think a downturn in large economies like China or USA will hit Apple, Microsoft and Google a lot worse than Blackberry. There is not much room for Blackberry to fall.
    07-27-15 01:49 PM
    Thanks B2B. I found the following article with a touch more info:

ZTE Releases First U.S.-Designed Flagship Phone With Input From Blackberry

NewsFisher

But the following article states that ZTE hired former BlackBerry designers and engineers to work on the phone. Someone will have to confirm the which version of the news is the correct one:

China's ZTE launches 'game-changing' Axon smartphone in US to build brand overseas | South China Morning Post

Nice crackberry CSI !

was kinda hoping that they were eluding to having BB OS ...or something like that.

Wonder if this will spark a new trend for Android manufacturers, or maybe something in the future, should the Android rumour become reality.

Imagine Android manufacturers saying, "now, with BlackBerry Inside !" (like Intel Inside)

Basically correlating security with their device.
    07-27-15 01:50 PM

I would like Blackberry to stay in the hardware game but they should be charging a premium for all devices and there is no need to update each model every year. For example, we can have the slider this year and an updated Classic next year.. Also, a well made and secure Blackberry should only be sold at a premium. Governments and enterprises that require security have no other alternative. $699 is how much a Blackberry should cost, not a $200 like a hackable(through SMS) MotoG.
    no way Rock.

As they would probably say ... been there, done that.... and look where it got us.

If they start charging a premium again, they will l fall harder on their face.

At premium prices, they cant match/win the hardware race. (even fully outsourcing I would think)
    JC eluded many times, they simply cannot make a device as cheap as the Chinese.

Can you imagine though...a $200 Moto G... with BB security ?

This may be the "new" golden feature that everyone will be chasing and a must have for their device.
    07-27-15 02:01 PM
    In the last two years, I have increased my share count by about 25% selling call options and buying shares with the proceeds. I haven't thought about adding shares with actual cash until now.
    Here are my reasons:
    Blackberry is well diversified (WatchDox, Movirtu, QNX, BES MDM, IOT, Medical, Auto...)
    The need for privacy and security has never been greater. Huge companies like Sony, Target, AshleyMadison can be brought down to their knees and face extinction after a breach. Are people listening now?
    The market has valued Blackberry assets at almost nothing. (Take away cash and we're take $1-2 per share for the rest)

Blackberry has been dragged down by hardware since BB7. Even with 10 Million+ unit sales a quarter, hardware margins have been near zero. We have been spoiled with so many models (keyboards, slate, passport, sliders..). Competitors like Apple 1-2 phones a year in the same form factor and they are doing fine.

I am also worried about a severe global downturn. I think a downturn in large economies like China or USA will hit Apple, Microsoft and Google a lot worse than Blackberry. There is not much room for Blackberry to fall.
    I agree with everything you've said!

I really don't see how the share price could be any cheaper with JC in charge. He has shown that he can cut costs as fast as he needs to, to avoid any more losses. And now he has given a chance for growth in many industries (including patent licensing).

The market seems to overlook both of these factors. Somehow they think that none of BlackBerry's revenue streams will be successful and they will somehow lose the race of operation expense right-sizing.

I disagree with Wall Street.
    07-27-15 02:42 PM
    QNX hits 60 million vehicles: http://qnxauto.blogspot.ca/2015/06/i...erday.html?m=1

Classically Posted.
    07-27-15 03:16 PM

Can you imagine though...a $200 Moto G... with BB security ?

This may be the "new" golden feature that everyone will be chasing and a must have for their device.
    The Z3 and Leap are priced close to MotoG and had limited success. I see some colleagues of mine who were issued Z10 phones and will be upgrading soon. Their only option is a low cost/low margin Leap if they want to stay with an all touch device.

My point is that Blackberry has no competition when it comes to a high level of security and productivity. They should command higher prices for the niche technology.

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, Corbu, bungaboy and 5 others like this.
    07-27-15 03:33 PM
    My point is that Blackberry has no competition when it comes to a high level of security and productivity. They should command higher prices for the niche technology.

Posted via CB10
    First they need sales. Many are already complaining that prices are too high.

If they were as popular as iphones then they could command any price they wanted. But as they are in a game of " me too" they can't do that.... yet

Posted via CB10
    awindsr and BACK-2-BLACK like this.
    07-27-15 04:12 PM
    The Z3 and Leap are priced close to MotoG and had limited success. I see some colleagues of mine who were issued Z10 phones and will be upgrading soon. Their only option is a low cost/low margin Leap if they want to stay with an all touch device.

Posted via CB10
    I hear you, and as a believer in the BB product, I too would "want" this...but...

the economics have not worked out for them with this setup. What you are suggesting is nothing new.

I agree, there is no competition for their mobile security, and it would make sense to offer this in their own product...but look at what has happened in the last few years with that plan.... sales in this financial model is not successful anymore, or in the immediate future (the way I see it). Should they go back to this, their sales would suffer more so and I don't think they can afford this option anymore, imo (as much as I would want it)

... now they are potentially looking to branch out (not by choice, but economic survival and gain) and offer their security services to these other platforms where they can sell.
    07-27-15 05:03 PM
    it may be troll tactic #110.
    So traffic violation!!! Sheriff GO after him!!!

Happy day gang!!
    07-27-15 05:22 PM
    We've discussed this many times before. All BlackBerry devices should be sold at premium prices because all models can be secured and managed to the same degree. All well beyond those of all competitors' phones. But as we all acknowledge, very, very few people recognize that as a premium feature. Even on Crackberry, many discount security and privacy as a god-given right, that they should have but not have to pay for. Until the masses change their sentiment, BlackBerry can't charge a premium because not enough people value it, and governments around the world don't want the masses to have it.

Since BlackBerry is the only one with this focus, it leaves them susceptible to singling out as we've seen in Pakistan, India, Saudi Arabia, etc. Plus the masses in their self-indulgent ignorance falsely equate BlackBerry's level of security with unsubstantiated marketing talk of security (Blackphone, Turing phone, etc. ).

I don't think even the US DoD would accept a $1,000 BlackBerry phone over a $1,000 Boeing Black phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 05:23 PM
    Here are my reasons:

Well written Rock!
    07-27-15 05:30 PM
    . . . I don't think even the US DoD would accept a $1,000 BlackBerry phone over a $1,000 Boeing Black phone.

Posted via CB10
    More payola from the latter . . .
    07-27-15 05:37 PM
    More payola from the latter . . .
    When you consider that "analysts believe the company is losing about $26 million on each 787 it sells" you need all the business you can get.

What Does Boeing 787 Dreamliner Cost? - The Boeing Company (NYSE:BA) - 24/7 Wall St.
    07-27-15 06:20 PM
    what blackberry product/services would have prevented those security breaches?
    07-27-15 07:03 PM
    what blackberry product/services would have prevented those security breaches?
    Nothing, but it brings the idea of securing data to the forefront.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 07:07 PM
    Nothing, but it brings the idea of securing data to the forefront.

Posted via CB10
    Nothing that we presently know of!
    07-27-15 07:09 PM
113,256 ... 34843485348634873488 ...