View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Z10 pictures from Pan Am Games Fireworks from CN Tower.

NOTE : night mode on while Video recording snapping pictures directly from Z10.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150726_220614.jpg

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150726_220539_1.jpg

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150726_220615.jpg

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 09:45 PM
    Sunil Lalvani lands at Qualcomm: http://m.firstpost.com/business/qual...d-2365022.html

Classically Posted.
    bungaboy, rarsen, awindsr and 7 others like this.
    07-27-15 05:28 AM
    Finally finally finally.....some good news!

http://utbblogs.com/carphone-warehou...o-meet-demand/

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 05:52 AM
    Blackberry services can be continued on providing access: PTA

ISLAMABAD - PTA on Sunday said that all the Black Berry services, including Enterprise Services (BES) would continue in Pakistan, if the cellular companies provide law enforcing agencies access to its BES services.

It is a wrong perception that PTA is going to ban Blackberry services in the country, instead we have been asking the company to provide us access to its secure Enterprise Services (BES) from last many years, and now finally, we have issued them notice that if they don’t provide us access to BES data, in next 90 days, we would block BES services, in the country, a top official told The Nation.

He said, even if the BES services are blocked, the Canadian handset manufacturer’s customers in the country would continue using Internet and other services on their phones.

There are between 4000-5000 Blackberry users in the country.

The official explained that under BES any enterprise could create a secure internal mailing system, and that might be used for any terrorist or anti-state activity.

It is a legal demand, as the company has been providing access to its BES all over the world, including neighbouring country India, he said.

Last week, Ministry of Interior reportedly decided to block the service in Pakistan, issuing directives to the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) to implement the decision from December 1, 2015.

According to sources PTA has sent a letter to the cellular operators to either provide security agencies access to BES or block the services by November 30, 2015.

However, the sources confirmed that if companies comply with government demand, its BES services would be allowed to continue.
    Corbu, rarsen, sidhuk and 11 others like this.
    07-27-15 06:46 AM
    OT:

may need to brace yourself.... Shanghai market took a beating today, may affect the NA markets...

Shanghai stocks close down 8.48% on economy fears

AFP
    Jul. 27, 2015, 3:27 AM

Shanghai (AFP) - Shanghai stocks slumped on Monday, ending down 8.48 percent on worries the Chinese economy, the world's second largest, is heading for a sharp slowdown, dealers said.

The Shanghai Composite Index plunged 345.35 points to 3,725.56 on turnover of 721.3 billion yuan ($117.9 billion). The Shenzhen Composite Index, which tracks stocks on China's second exchange, slid 7.00 percent, or 162.62 points, to 2,160.09 on turnover of 667.7 billion yuan
    bungaboy, rarsen, awindsr and 7 others like this.
    07-27-15 06:53 AM
    07-27-15 07:17 AM
    Well I think most of us here (as well as the market) no longer have any expectation on the BB10 devices that have already been launched. I didn't say this news will have any impact to the share price or the operating result. But this should be the first time for me to find something positive related to Leap.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, georg4BB, 3MIKE and 2 others like this.
    07-27-15 07:18 AM

ISLAMABAD - PTA on Sunday said that all the Black Berry services, including Enterprise Services (BES) would continue in Pakistan, if the cellular companies provide law enforcing agencies access to its BES services.

It is a wrong perception that PTA is going to ban Blackberry services in the country, instead we have been asking the company to provide us access to its secure Enterprise Services (BES) from last many years, and now finally, we have issued them notice that if they don�t provide us access to BES data, in next 90 days, we would block BES services, in the country, a top official told The Nation.

He said, even if the BES services are blocked, the Canadian handset manufacturer�s customers in the country would continue using Internet and other services on their phones.

There are between 4000-5000 Blackberry users in the country.

The official explained that under BES any enterprise could create a secure internal mailing system, and that might be used for any terrorist or anti-state activity.

It is a legal demand, as the company has been providing access to its BES all over the world, including neighbouring country India, he said.

Last week, Ministry of Interior reportedly decided to block the service in Pakistan, issuing directives to the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) to implement the decision from December 1, 2015.

According to sources PTA has sent a letter to the cellular operators to either provide security agencies access to BES or block the services by November 30, 2015.

However, the sources confirmed that if companies comply with government demand, its BES services would be allowed to continue.
    Known fact that news media can report false negative news about BlackBerry, over and over and over and get away with it. Based on the false news, the BlackBerry haters storm this forum and site over and over. I personally believe that BlackBerry hate is money driven.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 08:47 AM
    Is this fantastic news for BlackBerry or what!

Finally, the consumer at large might feel freaked out if this hack is as real as it sounds

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, 3MIKE, zyben and 2 others like this.
    07-27-15 09:01 AM
    No one is going to freak out unless it happens to them.

All we need is one big hack that fries all Android phones. lol

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 09:13 AM
    No one is going to freak out unless it happens to them.

All we need is one big hack that fries all Android phones. lol

Posted via CB10
    The question is, with so many security flaws on Android, can Blackberry really 'secure' it?

I would like to see a big big massive hack on iOS more.

Posted via CB10
    awindsr and CDM76 like this.
    07-27-15 09:43 AM
    If I may quote my earlier post, reading through the more than 100 comments to that story, the extent to which most people are uneducated and unaware of security/privacy matters is astounding (but not really surprising, as we know). Even though that train might well have already left the station and it is almost a fait accompli that we should accept that BlackBerry will slowly leave the HW side of the business, it is a pity and a real shame that, for whatever reason, BlackBerry has not (yet?) been able to tap that market better, educate people, make its products known to even the general consumer or a small but dedicated share of that market. What percentage of the general population of smartphone users (aside from the Enterprise market) would or could be preoccupied enough with "Security" that they would even be willing to forgo some application candy and so-called conveniences of iOS and Android? I would guess between 5 and 10%. Let's be conservative and guess 3 or even 2%... And what share of the market does BlackBerry actually have? I may be wrong, but the fact that this company - which claims to have "Security" as its DNA - is not able to tap that HW market and gain its proper share is something that I have difficulty accepting. And that should have been corrected, I believe. Or, put it this way: it would be easier to accept that reality if one had the impression that a concerted, rational, well though out plan to achieve that goal had been followed.... and had not worked out. Let's fight the good fight with all we've got before retreating...

Anxious to see how things develop over the next few months... Sorry for the slight rant, guys. Cheers!
    07-27-15 10:18 AM
    In regards to topic, we might have the wrong person leading the advertising department. Maybe Bunga should lead that department. Lol
    07-27-15 10:28 AM
    OT:

I think JC had hinted at the idea of an anti-microbial phone for healthcare....

Regarding the following article: what do they mean by "blackberry input"... ?

Qwerty?
    Hub ?
    Blackberry Experience suite?

ZTE�s Axon Equipped With Antimicrobial Corning Gorilla Glass - A First in the World of Smartphone Devices!

By Adrian Darylle Torralba
    Jul 27, 2015 03:20 AM EDT

"A first on mobile devices comes the imminent trend of using an antimicrobial smartphone screen that can be first experienced in ZTE's Axon, a smartphone with a blackberry input specifically designed by the company to its U.S consumers.

According to the Android Police, the Corning Gorilla Glass surface will enable the user to eliminate bacteria caused by various interactions with other things such as keyboards, doorknobs and other surfaces known to have bacteria. In a statement made by Corning, they said that the Gorilla Glass will last the lifetime of the gadget and is strategically put on top of the patented scratch proof screen.

The Antimicrobial Corning Gorilla Glass is registered with EPA, and while it has been introduced as early as January 2014, this will be the first time it is used on a mobile smartphone device.

According to Dr. Joydeep Lahiri of Corning Incorporated, the design was integrated with the rising threat of bacteria that is not our own and the design is meant to add protection to its user. He also added, "We developed Antimicrobial Corning Gorilla Glass to address this concern and are excited to see this technology enter the consumer electronics space with the launch of the ZTE AXON."

ZTE Mobile Devices chief of technology Dr. Ji Zhongwei acknowledged that it is indeed a breakthrough, collaborating with Corning to implement the first ever antimicrobial smartphone glass through their flagship ZTE Axon.

ZTE chose the Axon model as it also carries the latest and advance technology when it comes to its software and hardware package. Corning Gorilla Glass is known for its effective damage-resistant surface glass that has been servicing over 4 billion devices worldwide.

However, in a disclaimer posted by Twintiers, the Antimicrobial Corning Gorilla Glass is meant to have antimicrobial properties that eliminate stains and odor causing bacteria, but fails to disclose whether it is also applicable on protecting its users from harmful microbial threats. The flagship smartphone ZTE Axon is a first on the innovation and is primarily marketed in the United States."
    07-27-15 11:02 AM

Gartner Names WatchDox by BlackBerry a Visionary in Enterprise File Synchronization and Sharing

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - July 27, 2015) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a global leader in mobile communications, announced today that WatchDox� by BlackBerry� has been named a "Visionary" in the Gartner Magic Quadrant1 for Enterprise File Synchronization and Sharing (EFSS) for the second consecutive year.

WatchDox by BlackBerry allows users to access documents from PC and Mac desktops, tablets, and smartphones, giving employees the flexibility to work across locations and be productive no matter where they are. WatchDox by BlackBerry is the most secure EFSS solution and is unique in that the document encryption and controls stay with the file even when it is shared on unmanaged devices. Users and administrators can track and audit who is accessing files and also have the ability to revoke access or delete files remotely. This gives organizations full visibility and control over how files are viewed, edited, copied, printed or forwarded.

"WatchDox provides organizations with a solution for two major needs that are often in conflict with each other: security and productivity," said Billy Ho, Executive Vice President, Enterprise Products, BlackBerry. "Enterprises want to provide their employees with tools that help them collaborate on documents and access information, but they don't want to put sensitive company files and data at risk of a breach. WatchDox combines an easy to use consumer-style application interface with security that can be customized to suit any enterprise use case. As with all of the products in BlackBerry's portfolio, it seamlessly enables secure productivity for our customers."

WatchDox by BlackBerry stands out against other vendors in the EFSS space for its rich security and collaboration features. It is known for its document encryption controls based on digital rights management (DRM), extensive data protection and security capabilities including geo-fencing, policy enforcements, and role-based access control, and extensive secure content editing capabilities that allow for productive collaboration. WatchDox by BlackBerry offers the most comprehensive EFSS solution, with content security capabilities that are Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 140-2 certified by the U.S. government and utilize best-in-class AES 256-bit encryption for data-at-rest and data-in-transit. Built to meet the needs of enterprises with the highest security requirements, WatchDox by BlackBerry also offers flexibility in deployment models including on-premise and hosted solutions.

BlackBerry has a proven track record of acquiring, integrating and collaborating to provide unique enterprise offerings that deliver the most trusted, secure solutions that help our customers stay productive and reduce complexity. Recent examples include the acquisitions of Secusmart for voice and data encryption and Movirtu for the ability to manage multiple mobile identities without the need for multiple SIM cards. BlackBerry has also developed a strategic partnership with Samsung to bring BES�12, a multi-OS Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solution, support to Samsung Galaxy smartphones and tablets that are embedded with Samsung KNOX™, and has also announced BES12 support for Android™ for Work devices.

BlackBerry is integrating WatchDox by BlackBerry as a service through BES12. Additionally, WatchDox technology is available as an independent value-added offering that complements BlackBerry's portfolio of value-added services including solutions for communications and collaboration, voice and data encryption, identity and access, and Virtual SIM Series. With BES12, value-added enterprise services, and world-class support, BlackBerry gives enterprises the capability to secure their communications end-to-end, whether they be voice, text, messaging, data and enterprise files.

Download the complete Gartner Magic Quadrant for Enterprise File Synchronization and Sharing report at WATCHDOX BY BLACKBERRY and find out more about WatchDox by BlackBerry at Secure document sharing - WatchDox by BlackBerry - United States.

Disclaimer: Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner's research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

1Gartner "Magic Quadrant for Enterprise File Synchronization and Sharing" by Monica Basso, Charles Smulders, Jeffrey Mann, July 22, 2015.
    lech31, morganplus8, Corbu and 9 others like this.
    07-27-15 11:14 AM
    OT:
    Morgan,
    I know we've mentioned Encana (ECA:TO) on this thread. Hopefully you don't mind a quick question about how are you liking them ? The $1.6B loss announced today has me concerned. I was liking them at $11 but now that they are cutting jobs left right and center (1400 in past year) and draining money (two quarters in a row) I'm a little tepid.

Thoughts ?

Posted via CB10
    Sorry for the delay CDM76,

I'm a buyer of the stock, sub $ 50 oil is not sustainable and when it hits bottom these solid companies will rally hard. Encana lost $ 167 MM this quarter, the balance of your number is a non cash adjustment to their balance sheet not unlike BlackBerry constantly adjusting their bond values as a debt versus their asset base. A $ 167 MM loss is pretty benign for a company with the resources like ECA. These lower energy prices won't be supported much longer, the whole process of lowering energy prices was to hurt Russia but these things never last. The economics of lower prices drive a large number of marginal players out of the sector leaving fewer strong companies behind and that's when we'll see a spike in the price of energy and a strong rally. I missed the last drop in ECA but I'm not missing this one, the price of the stock had to make a new 52 week low for me to move into it and we have that now. ECA will continue to retract (in terms of employees) just like every other energy company will do until supply disappears.

As for Blackberry - it has been stated enough times in the past few days that a move from a 6 month outlook for sustainable earnings to 12 - 18 months for the same will kill a stock's price in the short-term, add to that a weak summertime global market and you have lower stock prices. Chen needs to think through his statements and chose the best time to drop bombs on investors.
    Last edited by morganplus8; 07-27-15 at 11:39 AM.
    Corbu, W Hoa, bungaboy and 16 others like this.
    07-27-15 11:19 AM
    Have you considered how oil is bought and sold and what the impact of a strong us dollar is?

A strong us dollar will keep oil prices low.

Now if someone can tell me why oil is $50 per barrel and $200/barrel at the pump I would appreciate it. At $100/barrel, it was $ 200/ barrel at the pump.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kfh227; 07-27-15 at 11:57 AM. Reason: our => oil
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and 3MIKE like this.
    07-27-15 11:36 AM
    OT:

I think JC had hinted at the idea of an anti-microbial phone for healthcare....

Regarding the following article: what do they mean by "blackberry input"... ?

Qwerty?
    Hub ?
    Blackberry Experience suite?

ZTE�s Axon Equipped With Antimicrobial Corning Gorilla Glass - A First in the World of Smartphone Devices!

By Adrian Darylle Torralba
    Jul 27, 2015 03:20 AM EDT

"A first on mobile devices comes the imminent trend of using an antimicrobial smartphone screen that can be first experienced in ZTE's Axon, a smartphone with a blackberry input specifically designed by the company to its U.S consumers.

According to the Android Police, the Corning Gorilla Glass surface will enable the user to eliminate bacteria caused by various interactions with other things such as keyboards, doorknobs and other surfaces known to have bacteria. In a statement made by Corning, they said that the Gorilla Glass will last the lifetime of the gadget and is strategically put on top of the patented scratch proof screen.

The Antimicrobial Corning Gorilla Glass is registered with EPA, and while it has been introduced as early as January 2014, this will be the first time it is used on a mobile smartphone device.

According to Dr. Joydeep Lahiri of Corning Incorporated, the design was integrated with the rising threat of bacteria that is not our own and the design is meant to add protection to its user. He also added, "We developed Antimicrobial Corning Gorilla Glass to address this concern and are excited to see this technology enter the consumer electronics space with the launch of the ZTE AXON."

ZTE Mobile Devices chief of technology Dr. Ji Zhongwei acknowledged that it is indeed a breakthrough, collaborating with Corning to implement the first ever antimicrobial smartphone glass through their flagship ZTE Axon.

ZTE chose the Axon model as it also carries the latest and advance technology when it comes to its software and hardware package. Corning Gorilla Glass is known for its effective damage-resistant surface glass that has been servicing over 4 billion devices worldwide.

However, in a disclaimer posted by Twintiers, the Antimicrobial Corning Gorilla Glass is meant to have antimicrobial properties that eliminate stains and odor causing bacteria, but fails to disclose whether it is also applicable on protecting its users from harmful microbial threats. The flagship smartphone ZTE Axon is a first on the innovation and is primarily marketed in the United States."

Thanks B2B. I found the following article with a touch more info:

ZTE Releases First U.S.-Designed Flagship Phone With Input From Blackberry

Chinese telecommunications company ZTE has today released its first flagship mobile device designed for the U.S. market. The 5.5 inch �Axon� is the latest product released by ZTE in an effort to push their brand abroad and specifically in the U.S. The company worked together with a Blackberry designteam to localize the project. The Chinese company is attempting to tap into a higher end consumer pool, with the unlocked model retailing at $449.98. As the fourth-largest handset provider in terms of total shipments, ZTE is hoping to knock out LG to become the third-largest by 2020, following Apple and Samsung. �The U.S. is the most important market for us right now,� said Adam Zhang CEO of ZTE Mobile Devices during a ZTE analyst conference on Monday. �Consumers enjoy a higher standard in the U.S. than in China,� he added at a press conference earlier today, noting that the Axon is now the most expensive Chinese-branded handset available in the U.S. market. The phone is compatible with AT&T as well as T-Mobile networks and features a high quality audio chipset and dual rear cameras that are capable of capturing 4K video. Despite being designed for the U.S. market, the phone will also be released in China next week on the 21st. Zhang also revealed that the Axon would hit stores in Europe within the quarter. ZTE officially launched an R&D team in Canada late 2014, and also have and R&D presence in California as well as other hubs in the U.S. The Blackberry design team introduced several elements including hardware, with antenna technologies being one of the major contributions from the Blackberry team according to ZTE. While ZTE has been selling its mobile hardware under carrier brand names through white label agreements since the early 2000�s, they only began selling ZTE branded products in late 2009, and have since made a strong move to expand in the US. Over the past year they have extended their partnership with the NBA to now sponsor 3 teams, while they rebranded earl

NewsFisher

But the following article states that ZTE hired former BlackBerry designers and engineers to work on the phone. Someone will have to confirm the which version of the news is the correct one:

China's ZTE launches 'game-changing' Axon smartphone in US to build brand overseas | South China Morning Post
    07-27-15 11:38 AM
    In regards to topic, we might have the wrong person leading the advertising department. Maybe Bunga should lead that department. Lol
    I do have several pairs of brown shoes . . .
    07-27-15 12:07 PM
    ZTE Releases First U.S.-Designed Flagship Phone With Input From Blackberry

But the following article states that ZTE hired former BlackBerry designers and engineers to work on the phone. Someone will have to confirm the which version of the news is the correct one
    The Blackberry design team introduced several elements including hardware, with antenna technologies being one of the major contributions from the Blackberry team according to ZTE.

The antenna element is most likely Paratek technology and that is definitely BlackBerry.
    07-27-15 12:07 PM
    Have you considered how oil is bought and sold and what the impact of a strong us dollar is?

A strong us dollar will keep oil prices low.

Now if someone can tell me why oil is $50 per barrel and $200/barrel at the pump I would appreciate it. At $100/barrel, it was $ 200/ barrel at the pump.

Posted via CB10
    Because they can.

Very elastic demand.

I've asked everyone that's complained about it in front of me if they have reduced gas consumption as a result. The answer is always no.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 12:22 PM
    Because they can.

Very elastic demand.

I've asked everyone that's complained about it in front of me if they have reduced gas consumption as a result. The answer is always no.

Posted via CB10
    Limiting one's consumption of gas depends upon where you live. If you live in an urban area with a transit system restricting car use is easy. If, however, you live in the country, like I do, your options are fewer.

Fortunately I live near a Reserve so my gas is always 10 cents a litre cheaper.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    07-27-15 12:33 PM
    Because they can.

Very elastic demand.

Posted via CB10
    Because they can would be price fixing if that is not the true cost with reasonable profits and taxes.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 12:34 PM
    07-27-15 12:47 PM
    Because they can would be price fixing if that is not the true cost with reasonable profits and taxes.

Posted via CB10
    This confuses me.

In a free marketplace they can charge what the market can bear. No?
    07-27-15 12:47 PM
113,256 ... 34833484348534863487 ...