View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I could very well be missing something here, but I simply don't know- what does the LEAP offer over the Z30?. That's an honest question, because as far as I can tell, the Z30 is retailing for less than the LEAP and offers more from a spec perspective. That's something I don't get.
    There are plenty of threads addressing this question, as well as you tube comparisons.
    (psssssst, get the Z30 : same resolution screen, everything the Leap does, and, Paratec antenna technology , bigger and longer life battery, true sound calling , better speakers and the trusty HDMI out, 1.7 dual Snapdragon Pro with quad core graphics. )

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag, 3MIKE and bungaboy like this.
    07-24-15 07:27 PM
    500 mm last ER wasn't it?

Classically Posted.
    I feel that it should be much higher. The coding is almost ubiquitous, so what the beans are they charging for this critical OS? Per device? Per line of code?
    Would be nice if an upcoming ER gave us a clue. I suppose that BlackBerry is flexible on price, because the driver would be based on quantity.
    07-24-15 07:27 PM
    I feel that it should be much higher. The coding is almost ubiquitous, so what the beans are they charging for this critical OS? Per device? Per line of code?
    Would be nice if an upcoming ER gave us a clue. I suppose that BlackBerry is flexible on price, because the driver would be based on quantity.
    Agree, but if memory serves this ER was the first ever they gave somewhat of a an idea...the Jeep Can bus fiasco (firmware) might become a boon for us. Contrary to what some ill-informed sites are babbling on about QNX is built "on top of" the manufactures firmware (dist bus). I'm not an engineer but if (big if) QNX (with AtHoc and other IP) can push secure firmware patches at a fee that should go a long way to improving the bottom line. Fingers crossed.

Classically Posted.
    Corbu, BanffMoose, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    07-24-15 08:21 PM
    07-24-15 08:59 PM
    Great post Corbu...has me thinking too. Let's say the service is available for a reasonable dollar to enterprise. Now let's say you want to communicate a company wide memo (or segmented to specific persons on a contact list only)...push the button, done. And you know they recieved it...securely. No excuses, no hassle.

Classically Posted.
    Corbu, bungaboy, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    07-24-15 09:14 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-1437792260032_462662.jpeg

Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 09:45 PM
    A few more relatively fair accounts of the Security Summit. Some interesting bits here and there:

BlackBerry has the security portfolio; now it must sell it | MobileSyrup.com

... BlackBerry’s long difficulties with messaging and marketing will also hinder its efforts. Beard stated that the company was in the midst of figuring out how to package its security offering in a way its sales and marketing teams can jump on, but the security summit clearly indicated there is more work to be done. The event as a whole was disjointed and meandering, often presenting the right content at the wrong time – BlackBerry would have been much better off not burying Beard and its hacking demonstration in the event’s back half.

For all his relatability, Chen can also get in trouble when speaking with lazy journalists who know it’s the smartphone stories that push impressions. But referencing the recent Jeep hack story at a security summit when the vehicle runs on QNX is just bad staff work.

BlackBerry has come a long way in the past year expanding its security portfolio to position itself for sustained success. The next year will prove telling as to whether the company is ready to capitalize.
    Can't say I disagree with that assessment, unfortunately. I am of the belief that JC definitely needs to manage the message better. I would have hoped that the lessons from the latest EC had been learned. This was, after all, supposed to be a "Security Summit". Today, all the media is talking about is... phones! That is not acceptable. JC can't let that happen by being too casual. He should know that the context is not favorable to BBRY and that his words will be parsed ad infinitum for the slightest opportunity to cause harm. We've had so many versions of the future of HW over the last month that no one knows where to stand. If the HW strategy is not yet clear, say nothing, keep it to yourself, buy some time and/or announce a "Hardware Event" later, when the strategy is as clear as it already seems to be insofar as SW is concerned.

We are told that we will have to wait another 12 to 18 months or so... As long as JC and his people stick to the plan, are relentless and execute, I am sure we can all live with that. Things have improved and nobody said this turaround would be easy. Many positive changes have been made but things aren't perfect. They never are. Time to correct some mistakes, improve on the messaging, speak less and work twice as hard, I believe.

Plus these two:
    BlackBerry hones in on security as company?s purpose | IT Business Blog
    Three?s a charm for BlackBerry at Security Summit | Computer Dealer News

Have a nice weekend!
    07-24-15 09:57 PM
    Yup straight on the way home from watching the security conference viewing today, I work hard, it restored my faith in BlackBerry going strong into the future not just surviving.

The bonus was on the TTC Subway, University line I see a brother typing away on one of the sick Porsche Design P'9983 Carbon(?) devices. I wanted to say something even to get a feel of the glass-like keys but brothas, like our women, don't share one another's BlackBerry's

Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 10:50 PM
    OT - haven't seen any posts from Lenny (lcjr? ) for a while. Hey Lenny, are you still hanging out on this thread?

Posted via CB10
    07-24-15 11:45 PM
    Lovely day ():

Attachment 364014

Classically Posted.
    damn that looks good

(needs more seasoning though..lol)
    bungaboy and morganplus8 like this.
    07-25-15 07:04 AM
    OT:

Gmail messages can now self-destruct

Gmail just went all Snapchat on us.

Dmail, a new Google (GOOG) Chrome plugin, gives you complete control over how long your recipient can view your email.
    This can prove a great asset for more secure communications or when discussing personal information.
    The Chrome extension adds a "Send with Dmail" button next to the regular "Send" button in any email you compose. This gives you complete control to revoke sent emails.
    But wait, doesn't Gmail allow users to revoke sent emails?
    Well, yes and no. Gmail's "undo send" button only works for up to 30 seconds. Dmail gives you as much time as you like.
    You can preset timing such as "in 1 hour" or "in 1 week" and the message will self-destruct accordingly.
    If you don't have a predetermined time frame, pick "never" as your time frame. If you need to revoke it at a later date, you can find the email in your sent folder and do so.
    All messages are encrypted and whenever the sender restricts the right to access, the recipient will no longer be able to see the original message.
    Plus, Dmail claims that they will soon unlock a feature where forwarding won't work -- only the intended recipient will be able to see your message.
    Although you can receive Dmail messages from any email account or client, you can only send them through Gmail on Chrome.
    The world of ephemeral online communications is growing beyond fun photos and videos
    sati01 and app_Developer like this.
    07-25-15 07:12 AM
    Blackberry Looks to the Channel for Reinvention

Mike Vizard | Talkin Cloud
    Jul 24, 2015

Although Blackberry is a long way from recapturing its former glory the one thing that is becoming apparent is that any of its future success is going to be heavily dependent on the cloud and the channel.

Via several acquisitions over the last year, including a deal this week involving AtHoc, a provider of communication services for emergency services professionals, it’s clear that Blackberry is now squarely focused on building out a secure global communications platform in the cloud.

At a Blackberry Security Summit this week, Blackberry COO Marty Beard said that now that Blackberry as its financial house in relative order next big step for the company as part of its recovery will be to build partnerships in the channel with solution providers that have expertise in vertical markets that are heavily regulated.

Valued at about $14 billion, Beard said the total market opportunity for solutions than connect both humans and machines represents a significant growth market for both Blackberry and its partners. To that end Blackberry is investing in both security technologies for machine-to-machine (M2M) environments that are core to any Internet of Things (IoT) applications as well as file synchronization and collaboration services in the form WatchDox, which Blackberry acquired earlier this year.

That doesn’t mean that Blackberry is abandoning its core smartphone business. But in terms of expanding its base of services and market reach, investment in services that revolve around a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) running in the cloud that provides a framework for managing and securing not only devices and applications, but also the workflow that extends out to those devices is where the future of company primarily lies. In essence. Blackberry is trying to position BES as a “bouncer in the sky” that secures workflow and communications by offloading the management of them from traditional enterprise IT.

In effect, Blackberry is looking to a combination of the cloud, managed services and the channel to drive its reinvention. To help drive that transition Blackberry earlier this month announced it has recruited Carl Wiese to be its new head of sales. Prior to joining Blackberry, Wiese was responsible for driving sales of advanced and emerging technologies as Cisco.

Obviously, it will take a little while to determine whether Blackberry can actually transform itself. But given enough time and money in the bank, that transformation just might represent a significant new opportunity for channel partners looking for new streams of revenue in the cloud.
    07-25-15 07:24 AM
    ....hopefully, with his conservatism, he over delivers on this one...

BlackBerry CEO Reveals Turnaround Is Taking Longer Than Expected

Following the announcement earlier this week of more job cuts, BlackBerry (BBRY) chief executive officer John Chen revealed that the company's turnaround plan is taking longer than expected. Chen told Reuters on Thursday that he is pretty satisfied with the progress of the turnaround, and that he is still comfortable with a $500 million software revenue target for this fiscal year. However, instead of the turnaround being completed within about six months, Chen said he now believes it will take 12 to 18 months for investors to feel positive effects from it. Morningstar (MORN) analyst Brian Colello says he sees no chance that BlackBerry will build a comparable ecosystem to Apple iOS or Google's Android anytime soon or ever reemerge as a leading smartphone maker. In hardware, Colello said he continues to foresee significant market-share losses as consumers gravitate toward other ecosystems and he is concerned that BlackBerry may be surpassed by rivals at some of its most important clients. He also said he remains highly skeptical that the firm will be able to adequately monetize some of its software. Until the company's turnaround is complete, Colello said risk remains that BlackBerry will continue to rack up operating losses.

07-25-15 07:39 AM
    BlackBerry Love

07-25-15 07:57 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1437792260032_462662.jpeg 
Views:	1054 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	364043

Posted via CB10
    Right on!
    Bacon Munchers, zyben and 3MIKE like this.
    07-25-15 07:58 AM
    07-25-15 07:59 AM
    OT:

Air Canada and National Grid To Use Apple, IBM Apps; United Airlines Renewed iPad Program

By Rituparna Sengupta on July 25 2015 1:09 PM

Riding on its iPhones success, Apple Inc is venturing into the enterprise market more steadily than its competitors like Samsung, Microsoft and Blackberry. With the passage of time, Apple is gaining more enterprise customers. Recent prominent customer wins include Air Canada, National Grid in the UK and Banorte in Mexico. It is also worth mentioning that United Airlines has renewed its iPad program with more than 10,000 iPad Air 2s.

Around 500 companies, including Air Canada and National Grid, are now using mobile apps developed by Apple and IBM, revealed Apple CFO Luca Maestri during a call to discuss the company’s third quarter results, reports Computer World. Air Canada flight attendants might be using the Passenger+ app on an iPad, which will allow them to view passenger and flight information.

Maestri also mentioned that governments from various countries are also interested in using Apple hardware and IBM software. For instance, the government of Japan wants to use the Apple devices to take care of their ageing population. In April, Apple, IBM and Japan Post declared a joint programme to deliver iPads with special health apps developed by IBM and analytics to connect Japanese senior citizens. By 2020, Japan Post aims to reach out to 4 million to 5 million Japanese seniors. Two of the earliest customers American Eagle Outfitters and the government of Miami Dade County in Florida also use IBM apps on Apple mobile devices. In July 2014, Apple and IBM teamed up develop mobile apps for business users.

According to Infotech Lead, in the June quarter IBM released 13 new MobileFirst for Apple iOS apps. This new line includes a wide range from retail banking and healthcare to HR and sales. Currently, there are 35 apps in IBM’s MobileFirst for iOS. There will be 100 apps available by the end of 2015 which will connect big data and analytics on their iPads and iPhones.

Apple’s mobile partners are creating path breaking solutions on iOS across many industries which in turn are attracting significant customer interest to utilise iPads and iPhones. Apple has 456 global stores out of which 190 are outside the United States. Apple will open 40 new stores in Greater China by mid 2016. The company’s Q3 results revealed that Apple sold 4.8 million Macs and iPhone represents more than 60 per cent of its sales.

For questions/comments regarding the article, you may email the writer at [email protected] .
    07-25-15 08:12 AM
    07-25-15 08:12 AM
    Mercedes 1-2 at Hungarian GP qualifying!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-_84485652_19f5c523-fd78-4168-8753-c91335932499.jpg
    07-25-15 08:35 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lol(1).jpg 
Views:	2732 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	364093
    Love it Bunga!!
    07-25-15 08:44 AM
    Surveillance in Pakistan exceeds legal capacity: report

Dawn.com � Published Jul 22, 2015 04:42pm

Surveillance in Pakistan exceeds legal capacity: report - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

"Pakistan's cooperation in international surveillance

The government of Pakistan is known to be the largest recipient of funds from the NSA and it is allegedly involved in surveillance against its own citizens, the report claims. Pakistan is also NSA's third party partner, which means that the relationship between the two is considered to be long-term, involving �higher degrees of trust� and �greater levels of cooperation�.

The report adds that the NSA would �willing to share advanced techniques�in return for that partner�s willingness to do something politically risky�.

Pakistan's relationship with the NSA is valued to the extent that the US agency allegedly maintains a �special collection service� at its embassy and consulates in Pakistan, the report claims.

Pakistani phone service providers such as Telenor, Warid, Ufone, Mobilink and Pakistan Telecommunications Limited (PTCL) have allegedly provided legal interception access and monitoring centres over the years."
    07-25-15 08:47 AM
    07-25-15 09:02 AM
    This BlackBerry Fan is Immortalizing his Love through Lego (Pictures)

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-simon-lego-interview.jpg

I can’t even recall how many hours I whiled away playing with Lego as a kid. Armed with a box of bricks, I could build literally anything my imagination could dream up, and I remember every creation fondly. I’m certain many of you can relate.

I’m certain many of you can also relate to the fact that, as I grew up, I set aside my brightly-colored blocks. After all, Lego’s for kids, isn’t it? It’s not something any self-respecting adult would dabble in, right?

Wrong.

Mobile software manager Simon Hsu (above) is one of the many fantastic artists who’ve turned to Lego as a creative medium. A long-time fan of BlackBerry, Simon enjoys hiking and playing badminton in his spare time.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-01_lego-passport-front.jpg

Over the past few months, he’s also acquired a new hobby: building elaborate Lego replicas of some of BlackBerry’s most popular phones, such as the BlackBerry Passport (left). Most recently, he put together a rendition of the Porsche Design P’9981.

I had the opportunity to chat with Simon about the phone, and his overarching passion for both Lego and BlackBerry – neither of which is going to fade any time soon.

Greene: What inspired you to design your first Lego phone?

Hsu: It was one of my friends, actually. They sent me a Lego name-card set. I loved the English alphabet bricks a ton, and soon realized that their width was the same as my BlackBerry Passport’s keyboard! I decided then that it might be fun to build a Lego version; to try to match the physical size and appearance with bricks.

Greene: Why did you choose Lego as a medium?

Hsu: Thanks to the variety of different bricks available and the fact that everything fits together,
    Lego’s great for building models of almost any type. From the classic components to Lego Technic, I can find nearly every combination I need, no matter what phone I’m building. I’m also lucky enough that my Lego collection includes enough sets that I can realize my ideas – like the Q5 to the right.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20150607_195051.jpg

Greene: Speaking of your Lego collection, it must be pretty impressive – any favorites?

Hsu: I don’t have that much Lego, believe it or not. My favorite sets, though; that’d have to be a tie between the Technic Series and the Creator Series. I’ve also spent a ton of time on the Lego NXT Series, as it lets me program the stuff I build. Since I’m a software engineer who loves both Lego and BlackBerry, I naturally wrote a BB10 application.

Greene: What was the first Lego set you ever received? How long have you been building?

Hsu: The oldest set I remember is the Lego 6915 model “Warp Wing Fighter”; it was a birthday gift. That was about eighteen years ago, and I’ve been building on and off ever since. Of course, like many others, I had a bit of a ‘dark age’ after High School where I was too ‘cool’ to play with bricks.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-04_lego_9670_open1.jpg

Greene: You’ve already designed quite a few models – what’s your favorite?

Hsu: Right now, it’s my most recent – the Lego Porsche. The size, weight, and super-smooth surface are just perfect; I think it’s my best yet.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-03_lego_p9981_size_comparison.jpg

Greene: Walk us through the process involved in building a Lego phone. Where do you start? What steps do you need to take from start to finish?

Hsu: First, I check the size of the real phone, then check if there are any special designs I need to work in – for example, the earphone holes or the slider mechanism of the 98XX Series. Third, I check my supplies to make sure I’ve got enough color bricks to build the phone.

Generally, I spend the most time on unique components; currently, BlackBerry phones feature two. First, there’s the flip series, found on the BlackBerry 9670 Bold (left) and 8220 Pearl. Those are pretty easy to build, and there are three or four designs I can turn to in order to make the flip mechanism work.

Sliders are the real challenge. I’ve tried a bunch of different designs, even using magnets. Unfortunately, I still haven’t really figured out how to make them work – for now, the Lego version of the 98XX Slider series is still a bit thicker than the real phone.

Greene: What went into building the Porsche Design P’9981 specifically? What blocks did you use?

Hsu: After I built the Passport, Red Q5, and 9670, one of my friends asked me to build a P’9981. It was the first phone I built with an entirely flat surface. For blocks, I used Curved 2�1 and Sloped for the bottom, and then a combination of classic bricks and plates for the rest of the case.

Greene: Are the plans for your Lego phones available for download anywhere?

Hsu: Not at the moment, but I’m trying to make that happen using Lego’s Digital Designer. I really want to share the construction details of my models with other fans.

Greene: What BlackBerry products have you used in the past?

Hsu: I have almost every BlackBerry device, ranging from Inter@ctive Pager 950 to the BlackBerry Classic. The only phones I don’t currently own are the Inter@ctive Pager 900, the Z3, the Leap, and the Porsche Design Series.

Greene: What phone do you currently use?

Hsu: At the moment, I use a BlackBerry Passport, with a Classic as my backup.

Greene: You mentioned you’re a huge fan of BlackBerry. What is it that you love about the company and its products?

Hsu: Productivity. BlackBerry’s unbeatable in that regard; their phones are what you use if you want to get things done. Their security’s also incredible, and I always feel safe because of that.

Greene: Do you have anything else to add before we wrap things up?

Hsu: I’ve been hoping to get a Porsche Design P’9981 (Ed. Why not the latest P’9983?) for a very long time, but it’s still too expensive for me. For now, I guess the Lego phone’s going to have to do.

Want to see more of Simon’s creations? You can follow him on Instagram at @Icetyingyu.

Q and A: This BlackBerry Fan is Immortalizing his Love through Lego (Pictures) | Inside BlackBerry
    07-25-15 09:50 AM
    On the forefront, it doesn't sound or look good that Chen said he was reducing the number of Devices, but if this means focusing in delivering quality over quantity then I'm all for it.

One all touch, one pkb. Why not?

I have no idea what's happening with the stock, I thought Wall Street wanted BlackBerry out of the hardware business? I would have thought they'd have liked the idea of less BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-15 10:00 AM
    The market may not see it now (only a few), but the general market will eventually see the value in security, and providing products catering into security.

Despite the publicized hacks, it does not seem like security is on the mind of the masses. (yet)

It seems like mobile security is a thankless job and most expect this service.

until people really start paying the price for vulnerability, they will start paying attention. Currently, major corps and regulated environments are seeing this... but .....

"As connectivity increases, the needs for security and privacy exponentially increase," Beard said. "As we get into the Internet of things, the real value will come from the data connectivity and the application connectivity."

The market for machine-to-machine technologies and services will top $4.3 trillion by 2024, the company estimated.
    07-25-15 10:35 AM
113,251 ... 34813482348334843485 ...